MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
sempervirent
Testing out the "final" SMP prototype this week. Also have a new build of the Temporal Pattern Generator. Will start taking preorders for these shortly.
cyberdine
awesome!
sempervirent
Here's a lo-fi clip of the SMP prototype mangling a one-second sample from this instrumental track... the Position parameter is being modulated which scans through the individual pitches in the melody.

Apart from a few firmware tweaks (for the buffer/memory UI interactions) I think this one is ready for production.

http://vimeo.com/276647256
cuttooth
Woo hoo! I'm super-hyped for this one. Thanks for sharing this. Guinness ftw!
lumin
Sounds mental. Excellent work man
Mr. Squiggle
Is it possible these will ever be released [/video]e series modules?
levelhead3
Just checking in on the preorder status for the SMP and hopefully, the DR. These two are absolute must haves, so want to make sure I don't miss the boat. Any word?
sempervirent
Mr. Squiggle wrote:
Is it possible these will ever be released e series modules?

No... although the 200e is an impressive achievement, I prefer preset-free patching and these modules reflect that preference.

levelhead3 wrote:
Just checking in on the preorder status for the SMP and hopefully, the DR. These two are absolute must haves, so want to make sure I don't miss the boat. Any word?

No worries, I'll definitely keep the thread updated. PM me your email if you want to be on the mailing list.

SMP is like 99% done. Will start taking preorders soon.

DR is not quite ready, doing one more prototype rev.

Here's an SMP photo (earlier prototype, the LED switch is different now and the layout has changed slightly on the final rev, but it's really real, promise):

lumin
These are slowly wearing me down. May have to finally start a modular after years of being able to say "no".
pr_simon
2 months since the last update, just checking in on how this is all progressing, mostly in order to schedule budget accordingly.
Quite interested in the Temporal Pattern Generator (that doesn't seem to generate the most enthusiastic response here) and the Modal voice as well !
anomie
I'm also interested in the temporal pattern generator (it's either that or the Northern Lights TT module!)

The Clouds module sounds beautiful and would be just right for some of the ambient stuff I do, but I wish it was a single space module - that's a lot of real estate for one unit!
pr_simon
It does take a lot of real estate but so do several of the more feature rich classic 200 modules like the 296 & 259.
Sure it may be less than ideal for those with limited space but I actually quite like how Grayscale is carefull to respect the canon, both aesthetically and ergonomically.
To me, that pragmatic approach of cramping a maximum of functionalities into a minimum hp is reminiscent of Eurorack (and well some 200e modules), not always the most engaging to use !
cuttooth
pr_simon wrote:
Grayscale is careful to respect the canon, both aesthetically and ergonomically.

I agree. From what I've seen of the preliminary layouts, these modules look like they'll be a joy to explore. Hopefully we all get to dive in soon!
levelhead3
Completely agree - it's why I finally ended up back with Buchla after years of trying to really get on board with my Eurorack system. it sounded great, but the cramped layouts and small knobs just never inspired me the way the Buchla modules did.

I've used the Rings + Clouds combination in both the Eurorack and 5u formats, and have to say the aesthetics and ergonomics of Grayscale's adaptations look incredibly well thought out.

All I have to say is I've been jealously guarding three spaces in my case for the DR + SMP. Bring 'em! w00t
cuttooth
levelhead3 wrote:
All I have to say is I've been jealously guarding three spaces in my case for the DR + SMP. Bring 'em! w00t

5 spaces in my boats (DR, SMP, MSV), with 2 more adaptations planned...I know what you mean! spinning
reverberation
Bought the Dual Algorithmic Oscillator last night. Looking forward to play with it and I might sell my eurorack version now.
sempervirent
Hey, thanks a lot. I'll post some updates in the next few days re: upcoming preorders and a new website specifically for these Buchla-format modules. Haven't been very active on here lately but there's a lot going on behind the scenes...
sempervirent
Also here's a demo of the Temporal Pattern Generator that I uploaded a few days ago. This is Grids in Buchla format with the previously hidden Clock and Random outputs brought to the front panel. I'm not much of a MIDI user these days but there is also a header on the back for wiring your own breakout if you want to sync to MIDI clock. It's really fun to play around with this module in a Buchla system. Need to do one more rev to explore another added feature. Patch notes:

Quote:
Four outputs from the 1979 Temporal Pattern Generator (TPG) trigger all four channels of the 281r, which open all four channels of the 292r, which is receiving four differently-tuned 258r VCOs.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/1979modular/buchla-tpg-2018-12-23[/s]
lumin
Really dope. Nice work.
Reed
Yeah!
Lewis#
Would definitely buy a resonator!
jimfowler
Any word on your Rings adaptation? Still very excited for that one. It's one of a very few modules I miss from euro land.

- Jim
sempervirent
The new 1979 website is up and preorders for the DR and SMP are open:

https://1979.ws/digital-resonator/
https://1979.ws/stereo-microsound-processor/

Both modules are in a pre-production status which means that all the parts required for assembly are being sourced in production quantities. Assembly will begin in the next 2-3 weeks. ETA for shipping is late March or early April.

Unlike the DAO these preorders are for the full price of the module. If you would rather wait until the modules are ready to ship, send me a message and I'll put you on the waiting list, but a preorder is the only way to ensure that you get a module from this batch.

I'll be getting some photos and demo videos posted ASAP. In the meantime there are many excellent demos for Rings and Clouds online already. Here's one that even shows Rings going into Clouds, and then Clouds going into Rings.
jimfowler
Looks great! So did the H-sized DIY version of the Rings (hRI?) adaptation get scrapped? I was excited to have a pair of Rings in one module's space.

- Jim
sempervirent
That's something Northern Light was working on. Different company, different opinions on ergonomics.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 7 of 10