MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
sempervirent
The TPG can trigger the 212r, 245r, 266r, 281r, etc so it's working as intended IMO. I think a sharp-edged 0-10V pulse is the best option here so that's the "standard" I intend to follow. For modules that do require a combined trigger+pulse there's more flexibility in creating this shape externally by mixing a short trigger with a gate of the desired amplitude and duration.

Back on the subject of the DR and SMP, just a few preorders are still being prepped for shipping, if you haven't received tracking info within 24h please contact me.

I appreciate everyone's patience with these two new releases. There have been a lot of decisions to make regarding assembly methods, PCB design, power connectors, custom tooling for D-shaft knobs, etc which will set the foundation for all future 1979 modules. Future releases should go much more smoothly as a result.

On that note the next Mutable adaptation in the queue is the Modal Synthesis Voice (MSV) which is based on Elements. Will keep the thread updated as things come together.

Until then, time to switch gears and finish up demo videos for the DR and SMP.
Siren
I haven’t received my tracking info on the DR and SMP yet, so I’m probably among those still being prepped. Are these reasonably fast shippings? I’m asking because I’m going away for the summer in less than two weeks. Starting to worry I won’t be home to receive the parcel..
jimfowler
I see that Noisebug has a DR in stock. I'm about this close to caving and buying one but I'd LOVE to hear it in context first. So...audio (or better yet video) demos would be rad.

- Jim
sempervirent
Sure, I am still planning to do this but creating module videos is one of the most time-consuming and least-enjoyable things for me because not only are viewers evaluating the module itself, they are also evaluating your cinematographic and musical abilities! It's no wonder that most Eurorack companies outsource this task to other people.

Maybe someone who has a DR (or SMP) in hand will post some clips. I realize that videos are a key selling point for some but given the time and effort involved and all the other work that's going on it's difficult to prioritize.
mutierend
sempervirent wrote:

Maybe someone who has a DR (or SMP) in hand will post some clips.

Coming soon.....
sempervirent
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
meatcliff
These clips are both heavily based around the digital resonator, recorded when I was beta testing the module in late 2017. A bit clippy since the DR was too hot. It's a lot more forgiving now. Both recordings are cut from one long session, used: 208r, sputnik 244, 258r, grayscale digital resonator, sputnik 289r, not sure if I had a 207r by then.

Eurorack Mutable Rings demo videos should give a good idea of general range, tho obviously the Buchla experience/limitations make things a bit different. Great module.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/ac_1117_0519edit/s-mNjnM[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/nov_6_a_eq/s-N0hfs[/s]
Fuzz
I dig the air hockey in the background of the first track!
@green
This is a video highlighting just the WMAP Wavetable Synthesis Algorithm. Scrolling the X and Y axis to showcase as many of the 256 possible wavetable timbres as possible. I know Braids has been around, but I love it in Buchla! Thank you to Bob Borries for the illustrated manual!

@green
This patch consists of random voltage being sent from a BEMI Buchla Music Easel to the pitch cv input of the DAO. The same random voltage is being used to slightly manipulate the timing of the Pulser which is also controlling a lopass gate from a 292r in combo mode. The cv of the modulation oscillator of the Easel is being used to animate the wavetable sweep of this algorithm. The delay effect is coming from a 4ms Dual Looping Delay who's timing is being synced to the same meandering Pulser. Notice how the random voltage is a looped sequence. It sounds quite melodic thanks to the ability to quantize to semitones in the DAO.

sempervirent
Thanks for posting (and making!) these demos. WMAP and WTBL are two of my favorite modes from Braids/DAO.

Noisebug posted a few SMP demos recently as well:

@green
sempervirent
Very nice... boldly going where no Buchla has gone before!

I wouldn't have had enough self-control to avoid using any reverb for 33+ minutes, haha.

I find that "Clouds" and it's various descendants (including the SMP) work best with random modulation on the inputs (especially Position and Size). That's for more typical granular processing however. I like how you are using the SMP here like a second tape recorder and manipulating the pitch in ways that resemble grabbing a tape reel or pressing pause on a cassette player.

I really need to up my demo game, hope to have more time for making videos soon.

Also have some new prototypes coming in over the next few weeks:

MSV (Modal Synthesis Voice): based on Elements
OVCA (Octal VCA): eight clean VCAs for CV and audio
DSVF: Discrete State Variable Filter
DVCM: Dual VC Mixer

All but the OVCA are in their second or third revision and should be ready for release soon.
levelhead3
Any updates on the DSS?
sempervirent
Same status as before: still in the development queue, no ETA.
lumin
just wanted to comment on first track. this makes me feel the same way as listening to a boards of canada track does. highest praise to you. love this immensely

meatcliff wrote:
These clips are both heavily based around the digital resonator, recorded when I was beta testing the module in late 2017. A bit clippy since the DR was too hot. It's a lot more forgiving now. Both recordings are cut from one long session, used: 208r, sputnik 244, 258r, grayscale digital resonator, sputnik 289r, not sure if I had a 207r by then.

Eurorack Mutable Rings demo videos should give a good idea of general range, tho obviously the Buchla experience/limitations make things a bit different. Great module.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/ac_1117_0519edit/s-mNjnM[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/nov_6_a_eq/s-N0hfs[/s]
sempervirent
The latest prototype for MSV/Elements checks out. I'll be sending it up and down the West Coast over the next few weeks for field testing but I don't anticipate any major issues.

The next release will be the DVCM (see this thread for details) but the MSV will probably be shipping before the end of the year. It's been a while since the initial announcement so please comment/PM/email if you want to get on the waiting list.

cuttooth
You know I'm all-in for the MSV. It's peanut butter jelly time! Can't wait!
meatcliff
lumin wrote:
just wanted to comment on first track. this makes me feel the same way as listening to a boards of canada track does. highest praise to you. love this immensely

Thank you!
deltaphoenix
I just received a Digital Resonator from Noisebug yesterday and pop it into my case. Wow, it really sounds nice and it really fits on sound wise with the rest of my Buchla. Bravo!
jimfowler
"The PCB design files will be shared in their native formats, along with any modified source code."

Hi. I was wondering if this is still the plan (specifically re: modified source code) in case folks want to get in there and tinker with the firmware on the modules with additional hardware.

- Jim
sempervirent
deltaphoenix wrote:
I just received a Digital Resonator from Noisebug yesterday and pop it into my case. Wow, it really sounds nice and it really fits on sound wise with the rest of my Buchla. Bravo!

Thanks a lot, glad you're enjoying it. I'm still way behind on videos. Reached out to Todd Barton recently about doing something, that might happen soon. If you post any audio/video online, let me know, always curious.

jimfowler wrote:
I was wondering if this is still the plan (specifically re: modified source code) in case folks want to get in there and tinker with the firmware on the modules with additional hardware.[

Not planning to release code or binaries at this point. My perspective has changed since I made that comment 2+ years ago and the guy selling bootleg PCBs has only confirmed that perspective.
jimfowler
Well, it's a shame that folks like that are able to derail the spirit of Emilie's initial intention. The adverse effect is that it locks would-be buyers out of installing something like Clouds Parasite into the SMP.
weedywhizz
sempervirent wrote:
deltaphoenix wrote:

Thanks a lot, glad you're enjoying it. I'm still way behind on videos. Reached out to Todd Barton recently about doing something, that might happen soon. If you post any audio/video online, let me know, always curious.

jimfowler wrote:
I was wondering if this is still the plan (specifically re: modified source code) in case folks want to get in there and tinker with the firmware on the modules with additional hardware.[

Not planning to release code or binaries at this point. My perspective has changed since I made that comment 2+ years ago and the guy selling bootleg PCBs has only confirmed that perspective.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/?fbclid=IwAR1Jb8BnbSpx9 sHCn8htWS2UQQ_caVFVlVrzkU6BI6MUlSIHeSEIv0-TvrI

hihi

So yeah, great that Roman shares the code for something he doesn't have to (MARF).
Uncool though that someone isn't able to share stuff he has to under the above mentioned license....just my 2 cents.
sempervirent
Mutable source code is licensed under MIT, not CC.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 9 of 10