MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
sawersky
they all look better in Buchla format.
I love those , really love those design.
sinowhy
phonkmeister wrote:

For both modules: I can't understand the point of having audio I/O in the center. That's bad design.

I'd agree, move the I/O section to the far right on both these modules.. it throws off the nice symmetry but it'll be a lot better when patched. because those signal inputs will always be patched and hanging there over knobs unlike the occasional CV trim inputs at the bottom.

how long till rings is available? clouds? is it kit or built? What kind of pricing are you looking at?
sempervirent
sawersky wrote:
they all look better in Buchla format.
I love those , really love those design.

Thanks! I responded to your PM.

sinowhy wrote:
I'd agree, move the I/O section to the far right on both these modules.. it throws off the nice symmetry but it'll be a lot better when patched. because those signal inputs will always be patched and hanging there over knobs unlike the occasional CV trim inputs at the bottom.

To quote a friend: "isn't making a big mess of patch cables the whole point?" More directly: I think the "correct" location for inputs and outputs depends on the system layout more than the layout of any specific module. If you have your VCO on the left side of the SMP then it's inconvenient to have the I/O on the right side, for example.

sinowhy wrote:
how long till rings is available? clouds? is it kit or built? What kind of pricing are you looking at?

Too early to announce pricing or availability, but I can say for sure that these will only be offered in pre-assembled form.
Timmy
Just to note that there is a fair amount of Mutable Instruments code in the Ornament&Crime module (Peaks envelopes on steroids, Frames Easter egg quadrature LFO on steroids with Peaks predictive tap-tempo sync, Peaks Easter egg bouncing ball envelopes), and Northern Lights has designed a dual O&C module in native 4U Buchla format, with bananas, 0 to 10V voltage ranges etc.
phonkmeister
Timmy wrote:
Just to note that there is a fair amount of Mutable Instruments code in the Ornament&Crime module (Peaks envelopes on steroids, Frames Easter egg quadrature LFO on steroids with Peaks predictive tap-tempo sync, Peaks Easter egg bouncing ball envelopes), and Northern Lights has designed a dual O&C module in native 4U Buchla format, with bananas, 0 to 10V voltage ranges etc.

This. I am much more interested in control sources than sound sources, I like the Buchla sound as it is. I have already booked my 2OC, since I love my 2 O_Cs I have in euro.

Such an awesome module.
sempervirent
Current status:

- The prototype for Digital Resonator seems to be solid, we're doing more testing but so far so good. The tentative price for this module will be around $525. I will start taking orders in about a month. Please send me a PM with your Paypal email address included if you want to get on the waiting list. Fully assembled only, no DIY option.

- Dual Algorithmic Oscillator and Modal Synthesis Voice prototype PCBs have been ordered, I anticipate that these will be available to preorder in July. No pricing yet.

- Stereo Microsound Processor is moving along, no ETA yet.

Along with these Mutable conversions we've got some other new Buchla-format modules in the works. The first is a dual sequential switch for audio and CV, which is almost ready. I'll post some more info about that one soon.
APETECHNOLOGY
sempervirent,

will your modules come with black rogans?
please!
applause
sempervirent
I'm going with blue to match the Buchla 200 aesthetic, but you could get black ones from Thonk (largest size excluded):
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/rogan-buchla/
jbaptiste64
It's a very good idea, looking forward to seeing the rest of the process.
sempervirent
Prototype PCBs for the Braids and Elements adaptations came in yesterday, will be getting these built and tested soon.

sempervirent
PCB layout for the Stereo Microsound Processor (Clouds adaptation) is finished now, this one is next in the prototype queue.

cuttooth
Still super-excited for the SMP. Can't wait! love
exeterdown
eek! Braids is the thing I miss most from Euro.

And while I never got myself a Clouds or Elements I might be keen now.

I'll definitely get myself on whatever waiting list.

sempervirent wrote:

Cobramatic wrote:
I guess it is a lot less likely with the Make Noise stuff - even though ironically many of their models are based on Buchla anyway.

Ha, yes that is ironic. The 200 series has most analog functions covered, so the digital modules in Eurorack are some of the most interesting "gaps" in the Buchla world. That's one reason why I wanted to try some Mutable conversions.

Personally I'd prefer the new 200e knobs - like Eardrill.
But using the grey, or white capped knobs to keep with the standard - blue knobs for e/presets, white/grey for non-preset. Would be incredible to have those with Mutable-teal/magenta caps though.
Tajnost
Amazing... keep us updated!)
n3wt15
I was looking for someone to help me a while back to help make me panels for some of these modules to put in my serge system, as I want to stick to my banana cables.
May be a silly question, but will these panels fit in a serge boat, and could they be made to work with serge, or is the design of the circuitry only compatable with buchla?
Not that I wouldnt like to state a buchla system....but ya know....$$$

I already have plenty of serge power and boats already...
sempervirent
exeterdown wrote:
Personally I'd prefer the new 200e knobs - like Eardrill.
But using the grey, or white capped knobs to keep with the standard - blue knobs for e/presets, white/grey for non-preset.

The blue Rogan knobs typically fit 6.35mm round pots. The Selco/Sifam knobs used on the 200e are available for that shaft type, but the smallest size isn't large enough to fit. Also the knob diameters on the Selco/Sifam knobs aren't the same as the Rogans, so it might look a bit strange in relation to the graphics.

n3wt15 wrote:
May be a silly question, but will these panels fit in a serge boat, and could they be made to work with serge, or is the design of the circuitry only compatable with buchla?

They might fit in the boat, but the mounting holes would be in different places and Buchla panels have widths that are multiples of 4.25" (not 1" like Serge). Modulation and trigger inputs have also been changed to Buchla standards, so it's probably a non-starter for Serge compatibility.

In better news, beginning to order parts for the Digital Resonator now, will post an update about availability soon.
themanthatwasused
n3wt15 wrote:
I was looking for someone to help me a while back to help make me panels for some of these modules to put in my serge system, as I want to stick to my banana cables.
Not that I wouldnt like to state a buchla system....but ya know....$$$

I already have plenty of serge power and boats already...

Be in contact with thebadproducer as he has adapted mutable designs in the serge format a couple of times already. Look for loudestwarning website
meatcliff
sempervirent wrote:
In better news, beginning to order parts for the Digital Resonator now, will post an update about availability soon.

thats what i like to hear cool
sempervirent
Working on some new layouts as I wait for various parts and pieces to arrive. Here's a "paper prototype" of the layout for Temporal Pattern Generator, based on Grids. This includes the hidden outputs from the original (internal clock and random clock) along with some extra clock division outputs.

pr_simon
Very excited as well with all these.
Following up on your first estimation in late may, a july preorder launch date for the Dual Algorithmic Osc and the Modal Synth Voice now seems less and less likely, so may I ask if you have a new schedule in mind ?

All things in due time of course, no pressure, but it's always better to have a rough idea when saving up (which for most non-super-rich is about selling gear on time and then, very often, as desired new product's release gets pushed back, failing to keep the money d'oh! )
sempervirent
Thanks for asking. Wow, has it been that long already? (Late May)

We're not too far off schedule, prototype panels for the DAO and MSV were delayed but we're back on track now. Hoping to have the prototype builds done this week.

Also the Digital Resonator prototype is going out to Todd (vgermuse) today for beta testing, if all is well I will go ahead and open up preorders for that one.
pr_simon
Sounds great !
hydrophilos
Indeed, can't wait!
malnatim
will these be available as pcbs or pcbs & panels?
sempervirent
Not planning to offer a DIY option... see the unsuccessful Mutable DIY builds thread for a few reasons why.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 3 of 9