MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules - preorder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules - preorder
sempervirent
I've been working on some Buchla-compatible versions of several Mutable Instruments modules and I wanted to share the first two for feedback. Each module is getting a new PCB design with all the necessary changes to accommodate Buchla CV/audio levels, power requirements, etc.

Dual Algorithmic Oscillator is essentially two Braids in one panel (taking a slight cue from the 258). Digital Resonator is based on Rings, with some changes to allow the internal normalizations to work with banana jacks. Both of these are in development now, with others to follow.

Olivier has given his permission for this project and I'm very grateful to him for publishing his design files under an open-source license. Source files for these modules will be published under the same license (CC-BY-SA-3.0) as required.

Please comment if you're interested or have feedback... I'll be sharing more details as things take shape.

lasesentaysiete
very nice layouts!

I was thinking about doing something similar with Clouds. Maybe Clouds forms part of your "others to follow" comment?

I like how the mode + poly switch are cv-able on Rings. Nice touch.

Also, Tides. Olivier said somewhere that Tides and Rings are his 2 best modules. Maybe he's onto something?
Synesthesia
Very nice! I like it smile

and of course i like the idea a lot wink we have a clouds and rings in the work ourselves.
Leoespejo
Wow !!! really interested.....

Any option of cross-modulation inside the dual algorithmic oscillator or FM at audio rate ?
phonkmeister
They look very nice!
Not sure if I'd like Braids tho.
Rings and Clouds could be fine (but I have both in Euro, so I don't know how useful they would be).
Just be sure not to make the same things, you two, this market is so small… smile
JamieH
interested hyper
Synesthesia
Quote:
Just be sure not to make the same things, you two, this market is so small…

I fully agree with you. There is no place for duplicates - but there is enough to do for us not to do the same thing wink
missingtwin
Very interested
looks amazing wes
bsilverberg
very very interested!
sparks
Color me interested hyper
island
Holy shit, great idea applause
Don T
For quite awhile now I've been toying with the idea of getting a Braids board and doing something like this. Now I hope I don't have to! Go for it!
memes_33
very cool- looking forward to having both rings & clouds in my buchla setup!
sinowhy
Definite interest. Rings is crucial, and your panel is gorgeous.
Aesthetic feedback? I think you are overusing the caps italics, and could use lowercase on the lower half.. your font might be just a tad too tall or light?

Also regarding layout, the mutabl faceplate lines up the attenuators with the appropriate pots, and CV input. It seems like their most intuitive layout. Where as here it seems 'brightness' and 'damping' jacks are reversed, and you will have think about it while patching.

What are the extra LEDs and switch for?
AXXONN
this could easily be what get's me to ditch Eurorack for good.

These look awesome SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
MATSmile
Slight suggestion, add banana audio outputs to braids
synthi
Very interested!!!
Rockin' Banana!
sempervirent
Hi everyone, nice to see such a positive response! Really appreciate the comments and interest. I'll try to answer some questions / respond to feedback...

lasesentaysiete wrote:
Maybe Clouds forms part of your "others to follow" comment?

A variant of Clouds (departing somewhat from the original) will definitely happen, more details soon.

lasesentaysiete wrote:
Also, Tides. Olivier said somewhere that Tides and Rings are his 2 best modules. Maybe he's onto something?

Tides is probably further down the line, but it could happen too. The format could use something like Tides since Eardrill's Periodicity was seemingly shelved. Maybe two could fit into one panel (then you could run Tides and Sheep simultaneously).

Leoespejo wrote:
Any option of cross-modulation inside the dual algorithmic oscillator or FM at audio rate?

Internal cross-mod between the upper/lower sections is not really feasible (you can always cross-patch) but Braids has a few different modes that handle audio-rate FM (FM, FBFM, WTFM). There's an excellent user-created manual for Braids in this thread that explains all the oscillator modes (including the quantization scales).

sinowhy wrote:
I think you are overusing the caps italics, and could use lowercase on the lower half..

Fellow designer? I deliberated over this quite a bit since the 200/200e use a mix of uppercase/lowercase. Aesthetically I prefer all uppercase and most of the 200-series modules use italicized caps predominantly. This also makes the overall bouma more regular and mostly avoids descenders (lowercase g/j/q/y) which allows the spacing between a label and the associated hardware to be a little more consistent.

sinowhy wrote:
Also regarding layout, the mutabl faceplate lines up the attenuators with the appropriate pots, and CV input. It seems like their most intuitive layout. Where as here it seems 'brightness' and 'damping' jacks are reversed, and you will have think about it while patching.

Good eye for detail. I did have the Brightness and Damping inputs swapped in an earlier iteration. Unlike the Eurorack version there's not a neat alignment of CV inputs and knobs. If this seems confusing in actual practice I'll consider swapping them back again.

sinowhy wrote:
What are the extra LEDs and switch for?

On the Eurorack version of Rings there are four normalizations that use switching jacks (internal normalizations are disconnected by patching the input). One is the audio input, so that's easy. But the others can't be done with banana jacks alone. The switches control whether or not the Strum, Pitch, and Frequency inputs are active (they can be plugged in, but not routed to the MCU – this is the same as leaving the jacks unpatched on the Eurorack version). The LED indicates whether or not the input is active.

MATSmile wrote:
Slight suggestion, add banana audio outputs to braids

Would that be for using a DC component of the output signal as a modulation source? (I'm not even sure that the Braids output is DC coupled, I'd have to check.) You could always use a cable/plug adapter or wire up a few custom cables. I was going for the precedent of the 258/259 which have multiple Tinijax outputs for the same signal. That makes it easier to do things like routing a single oscillator to a dual filter or setting up a stereo patch.
cane creek
Now we have micro braids i assume 2 could possibly be put behind a Euro panel ?

They do look gorgeous......... applause
Peake
love love love

This is incredibly welcome.
Ginko
Interested - but will they carry a Buchla price tag? Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana hihi
cj3000
super nice and cool layouts. Very happy to see them here.

i had the same idea with clouds but got distracted by live so far...

Christoph
erstlaub
These look so damn good I'd be tempted by euro versions of the buchla versions of the euro versions.

hmmm.....
lasesentaysiete
erstlaub wrote:
These look so damn good I'd be tempted by euro versions of the buchla versions of the euro versions.

hmmm.....

those can only be found at the nexus of the universe
Ginko
erstlaub wrote:

hmmm.....

applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4