MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
razzmtazz266
I think the mit agreement still obliges a share, no? My reading of it makes that clear, but I am open to being corrected.

This is where I get my info, where are you getting yours?
https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

Making source code available is pretty black and white as I
see it.
mutierend
The MIT license doesn't require the derivative work to be shared:

"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."
sempervirent
MIT is one of the most permissive software licenses. It puts almost no restrictions on what you do with the code and, unlike GPL, does not require that changes are made public.

The only requirements are that distribution of source code or compiled binaries must include a copy of the MIT license with credit to the original author(s).

Mutable's source code is being used in closed-source VST plugins, hardware synths like the Arturia Microfreak, etc. This is explicitly allowed by the MIT license.
razzmtazz266
Thanks for correcting me.
@green
266, DAO, DR, SMP

lumin
Excellent textures. Replayed the clip a bunch of times.
Is your SMP the end of the audio signal here?
If so, do you regularly use, or do you feel it could be used as a capable main audio out?
@green
lumin wrote:
Excellent textures. Replayed the clip a bunch of times.
Is your SMP the end of the audio signal here?
If so, do you regularly use, or do you feel it could be used as a capable main audio out?


Thanks! Yes it was last in the chain this time.

Definitely could be used as a main output thanks to the wet/dry feature.

This is an example of the Granular mode using 8 bit 16kHz audio resolution

There are alternate modes to be explored as notated on the mutable instruments site.
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/clouds/alternate_modes/
@green
duplicate- delete post
sempervirent
Nice clip @green, thanks for posting these.

MSV/Elements is next up for production, will open up preorders soon.
vgermuse
I’ve been enjoying exploring the Stereo Microsound Processor!
Here are some excerpts
pr_simon
For those interested, it hasn't been advertised yet but I noticed this morning that the Modal Synthesis Voice (aka Elements) is finally up for preorder :

https://1979.ws/modal-synthesis-voice/

However the Grids adaptation announced around the same time doesn't seem to have even been mentionned recently as part of the upcoming releases. Is it still on?
I hope so, after 2 years waiting for it to replace the Pendulum Ratchet I sold on purpose !
sempervirent
vgermuse wrote:
I’ve been enjoying exploring the Stereo Microsound Processor!

Thanks Todd! My favorite part might be around 10:00 where you've patched a random CV into multiple destinations and mangled the frozen audio buffer. Randomization is what really makes the granular mode come alive (and this also explains why all the added attenuators are so useful). Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

pr_simon wrote:
For those interested, it hasn't been advertised yet but I noticed this morning that the Modal Synthesis Voice (aka Elements) is finally up for preorder

Yes, the MSV is up for preorder now, I was going to work on a short demo clip to post this weekend before making an announcement here but you've beat me to the punch. Thanks for the preorder.

pr_simon wrote:
However the Grids adaptation announced around the same time doesn't seem to have even been mentionned recently as part of the upcoming releases. Is it still on?

The TPG (based on Grids) is still in the queue. I've gotten way ahead of myself with prototyping, there are several modules that are basically ready to release but it's not feasible to do more than a few modules each year due to the high assembly costs, long assembly time, and the pragmatic need for each module to fund the next production run. I also don't want to take preorders too far in advance. But I still intend on following through with all of the Mutable adaptations that have been announced thus far.
Kent
Does it still make sense to dedicate resources to your own version of Grids when Northern Light Modular has a shipping version already? The fact that it is already out there and the 2TT exists, I can't see another version being worth your investment in time/resources in this very limited market.

Not a complaint. Just looking at the business case. It's the old Product Manager within me.
pr_simon
Yes that's kind of why I was somewhat concerned.
For what it's worth though, and with all due respect to NLM's output (some of which is tempting), interface and layout can be as important to some as pure functionality per square inch.
Despite the 1979 one taking forever to arrive, I personally wouldn't consider buying one of those half modules instead. However fun and useful, they seem a bit too cramped (euroracky?) for my taste and and stray a bit too far away from the 200 aesthetic (probably less so within an e system, to be fair). As for the menu driven 2TT with non labeled multi-function encoders (edit - and the rest seeming far less intuitive than grids), that's another principle I tried to escape from (or leave outside) altogether with the modular.
So I guess, with development already done, it's merely a matter of gathering enough buyers sharing the same views, of which I have no idea how many there can be though, for at least one production run?
sempervirent
Kent wrote:
Does it still make sense to dedicate resources to your own version of Grids when Northern Light Modular has a shipping version already? The fact that it is already out there and the 2TT exists, I can't see another version being worth your investment in time/resources in this very limited market.

It's a limited market compared to Eurorack for example, but I'm not too worried about what others are doing. I'll slip the more esoteric modules in between other releases and make it work.

pr_simon wrote:
For what it's worth though, and with all due respect to NLM's output (some of which is tempting), interface and layout can be as important to some as pure functionality per square inch.

Yes, totally agree.

pr_simon wrote:
So I guess, with development already done, it's merely a matter of gathering enough buyers sharing the same views, of which I have no idea how many there can be though, for at least one production run?

Yes, basically. The TPG is not quite "done" but the remaining issues are minor and should be resolved with one more prototype.
pr_simon
Thanks for the promising news then. In the meantime, not a very long wait before the MSV takes my mind off of it for a little while smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 [all]
Page 10 of 10
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group