MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
sempervirent
I've been working on some Buchla-compatible versions of several Mutable Instruments modules and I wanted to share the first two for feedback. Each module is getting a new PCB design with all the necessary changes to accommodate Buchla CV/audio levels, power requirements, etc.

Dual Algorithmic Oscillator is essentially two Braids in one panel (taking a slight cue from the 258). Digital Resonator is based on Rings, with some changes to allow the internal normalizations to work with banana jacks. Both of these are in development now, with others to follow.

Olivier has given his permission for this project and I'm very grateful to him for publishing his design files under an open-source license. Source files for these modules will be published under the same license (CC-BY-SA-3.0) as required.

Please comment if you're interested or have feedback... I'll be sharing more details as things take shape.

lasesentaysiete
very nice layouts!

I was thinking about doing something similar with Clouds. Maybe Clouds forms part of your "others to follow" comment?

I like how the mode + poly switch are cv-able on Rings. Nice touch.

Also, Tides. Olivier said somewhere that Tides and Rings are his 2 best modules. Maybe he's onto something?
Synesthesia
Very nice! I like it smile

and of course i like the idea a lot wink we have a clouds and rings in the work ourselves.
Leoespejo
Wow !!! really interested.....

Any option of cross-modulation inside the dual algorithmic oscillator or FM at audio rate ?
phonkmeister
They look very nice!
Not sure if I'd like Braids tho.
Rings and Clouds could be fine (but I have both in Euro, so I don't know how useful they would be).
Just be sure not to make the same things, you two, this market is so small… smile
JamieH
interested hyper
Synesthesia
Quote:
Just be sure not to make the same things, you two, this market is so small…

I fully agree with you. There is no place for duplicates - but there is enough to do for us not to do the same thing wink
missingtwin
Very interested
looks amazing wes
bsilverberg
very very interested!
sparks
Color me interested hyper
island
Holy shit, great idea applause
Don T
For quite awhile now I've been toying with the idea of getting a Braids board and doing something like this. Now I hope I don't have to! Go for it!
memes_33
very cool- looking forward to having both rings & clouds in my buchla setup!
sinowhy
Definite interest. Rings is crucial, and your panel is gorgeous.
Aesthetic feedback? I think you are overusing the caps italics, and could use lowercase on the lower half.. your font might be just a tad too tall or light?

Also regarding layout, the mutabl faceplate lines up the attenuators with the appropriate pots, and CV input. It seems like their most intuitive layout. Where as here it seems 'brightness' and 'damping' jacks are reversed, and you will have think about it while patching.

What are the extra LEDs and switch for?
AXXONN
this could easily be what get's me to ditch Eurorack for good.

These look awesome SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
MATSmile
Slight suggestion, add banana audio outputs to braids
synthi
Very interested!!!
Rockin' Banana!
sempervirent
Hi everyone, nice to see such a positive response! Really appreciate the comments and interest. I'll try to answer some questions / respond to feedback...

lasesentaysiete wrote:
Maybe Clouds forms part of your "others to follow" comment?

A variant of Clouds (departing somewhat from the original) will definitely happen, more details soon.

lasesentaysiete wrote:
Also, Tides. Olivier said somewhere that Tides and Rings are his 2 best modules. Maybe he's onto something?

Tides is probably further down the line, but it could happen too. The format could use something like Tides since Eardrill's Periodicity was seemingly shelved. Maybe two could fit into one panel (then you could run Tides and Sheep simultaneously).

Leoespejo wrote:
Any option of cross-modulation inside the dual algorithmic oscillator or FM at audio rate?

Internal cross-mod between the upper/lower sections is not really feasible (you can always cross-patch) but Braids has a few different modes that handle audio-rate FM (FM, FBFM, WTFM). There's an excellent user-created manual for Braids in this thread that explains all the oscillator modes (including the quantization scales).

sinowhy wrote:
I think you are overusing the caps italics, and could use lowercase on the lower half..

Fellow designer? I deliberated over this quite a bit since the 200/200e use a mix of uppercase/lowercase. Aesthetically I prefer all uppercase and most of the 200-series modules use italicized caps predominantly. This also makes the overall bouma more regular and mostly avoids descenders (lowercase g/j/q/y) which allows the spacing between a label and the associated hardware to be a little more consistent.

sinowhy wrote:
Also regarding layout, the mutabl faceplate lines up the attenuators with the appropriate pots, and CV input. It seems like their most intuitive layout. Where as here it seems 'brightness' and 'damping' jacks are reversed, and you will have think about it while patching.

Good eye for detail. I did have the Brightness and Damping inputs swapped in an earlier iteration. Unlike the Eurorack version there's not a neat alignment of CV inputs and knobs. If this seems confusing in actual practice I'll consider swapping them back again.

sinowhy wrote:
What are the extra LEDs and switch for?

On the Eurorack version of Rings there are four normalizations that use switching jacks (internal normalizations are disconnected by patching the input). One is the audio input, so that's easy. But the others can't be done with banana jacks alone. The switches control whether or not the Strum, Pitch, and Frequency inputs are active (they can be plugged in, but not routed to the MCU – this is the same as leaving the jacks unpatched on the Eurorack version). The LED indicates whether or not the input is active.

MATSmile wrote:
Slight suggestion, add banana audio outputs to braids

Would that be for using a DC component of the output signal as a modulation source? (I'm not even sure that the Braids output is DC coupled, I'd have to check.) You could always use a cable/plug adapter or wire up a few custom cables. I was going for the precedent of the 258/259 which have multiple Tinijax outputs for the same signal. That makes it easier to do things like routing a single oscillator to a dual filter or setting up a stereo patch.
cane creek
Now we have micro braids i assume 2 could possibly be put behind a Euro panel ?

They do look gorgeous......... applause
Peake
love love love

This is incredibly welcome.
Ginko
Interested - but will they carry a Buchla price tag? Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana hihi
cj3000
super nice and cool layouts. Very happy to see them here.

i had the same idea with clouds but got distracted by live so far...

Christoph
erstlaub
These look so damn good I'd be tempted by euro versions of the buchla versions of the euro versions.

hmmm.....
lasesentaysiete
erstlaub wrote:
These look so damn good I'd be tempted by euro versions of the buchla versions of the euro versions.

hmmm.....

those can only be found at the nexus of the universe
Ginko
erstlaub wrote:

hmmm.....

applause
Opus110
Worlds are colliding!!! hihi

Soundoferror
yes please
Cobramatic
Really like these. SlayerBadger!
Ive been using Euroack with Buchla for sometime now and have an 'audio processor' rack for Clouds, Erbe Verbe and Phonogene and was planning to add Rings and / or Rainmaker.
Of course having them as Buchla compatable panels with nana cv's would be wonderful.
Open source modules like the MI stuff is a great option for porting across. I guess it is a lot less likely with the Make Noise stuff - even though ironically many of their models are based on Buchla anyway.

Looking forward to see how these modules develop applause
dopefiend
BEAUTIFUL!!!

The Rings, oh the Rings.....My precious, gives it to me!

However, be mindful of the existence of this:
dopefiend
Ooooops!!! Same picture twice. Sorry.

My point is, maybe adding some feature(s) that could otherwise not be had with the already-existent euro iteration, to make them more appealing...

I personally love the idea. hyper w00t!!
askthedust
Rings is the only module I miss of my long gone huge euro system. Color me super mega interested smile
erstlaub
OT but a while back I was considering getting some alt panels for eurorack versions done as I had some spare skirted Davies sitting around (yes I know the logic is a bit flawed there), here's where I got to before common sense prevailed.

eyetomymoon
erstlaub wrote:

hmmm.....

+1 applause

erstlaub wrote:
OT but a while back I was considering getting some alt panels for eurorack versions done as I had some spare skirted Davies sitting around (yes I know the logic is a bit flawed there), here's where I got to before common sense prevailed.

love
J3RK
sempervirent wrote:
I've been working on some Buchla-compatible versions of several Mutable Instruments modules and I wanted to share the first two for feedback. Each module is getting a new PCB design with all the necessary changes to accommodate Buchla CV/audio levels, power requirements, etc.

Dual Algorithmic Oscillator is essentially two Braids in one panel (taking a slight cue from the 258). Digital Resonator is based on Rings, with some changes to allow the internal normalizations to work with banana jacks. Both of these are in development now, with others to follow.

Olivier has given his permission for this project and I'm very grateful to him for publishing his design files under an open-source license. Source files for these modules will be published under the same license (CC-BY-SA-3.0) as required.

Please comment if you're interested or have feedback... I'll be sharing more details as things take shape.

Those look good! I agree with the poster that suggested using the lower case font for parts of the panels. I didn't really notice that at first, but after looking at some other B&A panels, it looks like that would make it a little more consistent. Otherwise they look perfect. thumbs up
sempervirent
Ginko wrote:
Interested - but will they carry a Buchla price tag?

Good question... the most important variable is demand (currently unknown, although the responses in this thread are encouraging). They will certainly cost less than a typical 200e module.

erstlaub wrote:

Thanks, that's quite a compliment! Nice work on your EuroBuchla alt panels too.

Cobramatic wrote:
I guess it is a lot less likely with the Make Noise stuff - even though ironically many of their models are based on Buchla anyway.

Ha, yes that is ironic. The 200 series has most analog functions covered, so the digital modules in Eurorack are some of the most interesting "gaps" in the Buchla world. That's one reason why I wanted to try some Mutable conversions.

dopefiend wrote:
My point is, maybe adding some feature(s) that could otherwise not be had with the already-existent euro iteration, to make them more appealing...

That could be possible on certain modules, although maintaining feature parity with the originals will ensure that any future firmware updates (or alternate firmware such as Bees-in-the-Trees or Parasites) can be easily installed. Adding extra attenuators, switches, trigger inputs, etc – anything that stays "analog" – is more feasible due to the larger format.

J3RK wrote:
I agree with the poster that suggested using the lower case font for parts of the panels. I didn't really notice that at first, but after looking at some other B&A panels, it looks like that would make it a little more consistent.

In general, Don's application of lowercase type was dependent on whether or not there was an all-caps section label within a functional block. He used lowercase as a form of secondary labeling, like you'd use an H2 tag in HTML code. My layouts don't have section labels so it's actually consistent with the original treatment (although it's arguable that not using section labels is inconsistent). 200 and 200e don't use the same typeface either, so there's already a divergence there... and I'm using a slightly different typeface than either. I'm OK with "Buchla-esque" versus identical.
Hiflygunther
Really interested too!!!
J3RK
sempervirent wrote:
J3RK wrote:
I agree with the poster that suggested using the lower case font for parts of the panels. I didn't really notice that at first, but after looking at some other B&A panels, it looks like that would make it a little more consistent.

In general, Don's application of lowercase type was dependent on whether or not there was an all-caps section label within a functional block. He used lowercase as a form of secondary labeling, like you'd use an H2 tag in HTML code. My layouts don't have section labels so it's actually consistent with the original treatment (although it's arguable that not using section labels is inconsistent). 200 and 200e don't use the same typeface either, so there's already a divergence there... and I'm using a slightly different typeface than either. I'm OK with "Buchla-esque" versus identical.

Makes sense, and they do look good. I actually didn't think about the functional sections that way. w00t
Peake
I don't know of it's applicable here but Don used different spacing between letters in different words. "Frequency" and "Modulation" on some modules had different spacing, etc. Can't wait for these modules!
sempervirent
Here are the layouts for my Clouds and Elements adaptations...

Stereo Microsound Processor is an expanded Clouds, with dedicated controls for the four Blend functions. The LED displays are being split up so that they don't rely on color alone to indicate status. This also makes the switch/button operations more simple, compared to the original. Along with the input gain knob there's an output gain control scaled from ~silent to ~+6dB (the dot near the knob indicates unity gain). And all the CV inputs have inverting attenuators. Yes, it's big, but a single-panel version would have the same UI compromises as the original, and Buchla format provides the opportunity to do a "proper" version of the module.

Modal Synthesis Voice is more straightforward... apart from reorganizing the layout a bit, it's more similar to Elements, no functional changes.

More coming later, these four are keeping me busy for now...

Synesthesia
any idea of timeline for release of these modules ?
APETECHNOLOGY
sempervirent,
such nice designs.
please make them a reality!
applause
Vortico
These look amazing! I wish I had the money for a Buchla 200-style now.
Elements is so sophisticated with everything CV controllable, I can't think of anything else I'd want to add to Modal Synthesis Voice.

dopefiend wrote:

However, be mindful of the existence of this:

Does this mean that once someone makes Euro-adaptations of the Grayscale Buchla-format Mutable modules, we can install them in our Buchla 200 racks?
Synesthesia
Quote:
Elements is so sophisticated with everything CV controllable, I can't think of anything else I'd want to add to Modal Synthesis Voice.

Hold my beer ;p our version is widely different. I don't like to brag before our prototype is up and running, but there is a lot of thing which can be added to an Elements wink
Goldenage2012
Really gorgeous love
phonkmeister
Esthetics are cool but:

Clouds: while I like the splitting of the blend knob into discrete knobs I really hate it to be 2 units wide (I sold clouds twice because of that damned blend knob).

For both modules: I can't understand the point of having audio I/O in the center. That's bad design.
sempervirent
Thanks for the comments guys...

@phonkmeister I feel the same way about the Blend knob on the original Clouds module. The layout has to grow to accommodate the extra I/O and controls. Re: the audio I/O being in the center, I guess that depends on where the module is installed in a system and how things are patched.

In other news, the Digital Resonator panel and PCB fit together nicely (final panel will be brushed). Moving on...

meatcliff
yes! please.
phonkmeister
It really looks gorgeous!
phonkmeister
What I meant in my previous comment (didn't mean to be so nasty as it looks, I'm sorry, I should have reread it before posting) is that in my experience audio outs are always on top of the module while inputs are usually at the bottom. Putting them in the middle looks weird to me.
Synesthesia
Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have reread it before posting) is that in my experience audio outs are always on top of the module while inputs are usually at the bottom. Putting them in the middle looks weird to me.

it does look a bit out of place on elements - i could see the cables being in the way of the hands.
sawersky
they all look better in Buchla format.
I love those , really love those design.
sinowhy
phonkmeister wrote:

For both modules: I can't understand the point of having audio I/O in the center. That's bad design.

I'd agree, move the I/O section to the far right on both these modules.. it throws off the nice symmetry but it'll be a lot better when patched. because those signal inputs will always be patched and hanging there over knobs unlike the occasional CV trim inputs at the bottom.

how long till rings is available? clouds? is it kit or built? What kind of pricing are you looking at?
sempervirent
sawersky wrote:
they all look better in Buchla format.
I love those , really love those design.

Thanks! I responded to your PM.

sinowhy wrote:
I'd agree, move the I/O section to the far right on both these modules.. it throws off the nice symmetry but it'll be a lot better when patched. because those signal inputs will always be patched and hanging there over knobs unlike the occasional CV trim inputs at the bottom.

To quote a friend: "isn't making a big mess of patch cables the whole point?" More directly: I think the "correct" location for inputs and outputs depends on the system layout more than the layout of any specific module. If you have your VCO on the left side of the SMP then it's inconvenient to have the I/O on the right side, for example.

sinowhy wrote:
how long till rings is available? clouds? is it kit or built? What kind of pricing are you looking at?

Too early to announce pricing or availability, but I can say for sure that these will only be offered in pre-assembled form.
Timmy
Just to note that there is a fair amount of Mutable Instruments code in the Ornament&Crime module (Peaks envelopes on steroids, Frames Easter egg quadrature LFO on steroids with Peaks predictive tap-tempo sync, Peaks Easter egg bouncing ball envelopes), and Northern Lights has designed a dual O&C module in native 4U Buchla format, with bananas, 0 to 10V voltage ranges etc.
phonkmeister
Timmy wrote:
Just to note that there is a fair amount of Mutable Instruments code in the Ornament&Crime module (Peaks envelopes on steroids, Frames Easter egg quadrature LFO on steroids with Peaks predictive tap-tempo sync, Peaks Easter egg bouncing ball envelopes), and Northern Lights has designed a dual O&C module in native 4U Buchla format, with bananas, 0 to 10V voltage ranges etc.

This. I am much more interested in control sources than sound sources, I like the Buchla sound as it is. I have already booked my 2OC, since I love my 2 O_Cs I have in euro.

Such an awesome module.
sempervirent
Current status:

- The prototype for Digital Resonator seems to be solid, we're doing more testing but so far so good. The tentative price for this module will be around $525. I will start taking orders in about a month. Please send me a PM with your Paypal email address included if you want to get on the waiting list. Fully assembled only, no DIY option.

- Dual Algorithmic Oscillator and Modal Synthesis Voice prototype PCBs have been ordered, I anticipate that these will be available to preorder in July. No pricing yet.

- Stereo Microsound Processor is moving along, no ETA yet.

Along with these Mutable conversions we've got some other new Buchla-format modules in the works. The first is a dual sequential switch for audio and CV, which is almost ready. I'll post some more info about that one soon.
APETECHNOLOGY
sempervirent,

will your modules come with black rogans?
please!
applause
sempervirent
I'm going with blue to match the Buchla 200 aesthetic, but you could get black ones from Thonk (largest size excluded):
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/rogan-buchla/
jbaptiste64
It's a very good idea, looking forward to seeing the rest of the process.
sempervirent
Prototype PCBs for the Braids and Elements adaptations came in yesterday, will be getting these built and tested soon.

sempervirent
PCB layout for the Stereo Microsound Processor (Clouds adaptation) is finished now, this one is next in the prototype queue.

cuttooth
Still super-excited for the SMP. Can't wait! love
exeterdown
eek! Braids is the thing I miss most from Euro.

And while I never got myself a Clouds or Elements I might be keen now.

I'll definitely get myself on whatever waiting list.

sempervirent wrote:

Cobramatic wrote:
I guess it is a lot less likely with the Make Noise stuff - even though ironically many of their models are based on Buchla anyway.

Ha, yes that is ironic. The 200 series has most analog functions covered, so the digital modules in Eurorack are some of the most interesting "gaps" in the Buchla world. That's one reason why I wanted to try some Mutable conversions.

Personally I'd prefer the new 200e knobs - like Eardrill.
But using the grey, or white capped knobs to keep with the standard - blue knobs for e/presets, white/grey for non-preset. Would be incredible to have those with Mutable-teal/magenta caps though.
Tajnost
Amazing... keep us updated!)
n3wt15
I was looking for someone to help me a while back to help make me panels for some of these modules to put in my serge system, as I want to stick to my banana cables.
May be a silly question, but will these panels fit in a serge boat, and could they be made to work with serge, or is the design of the circuitry only compatable with buchla?
Not that I wouldnt like to state a buchla system....but ya know....$$$

I already have plenty of serge power and boats already...
sempervirent
exeterdown wrote:
Personally I'd prefer the new 200e knobs - like Eardrill.
But using the grey, or white capped knobs to keep with the standard - blue knobs for e/presets, white/grey for non-preset.

The blue Rogan knobs typically fit 6.35mm round pots. The Selco/Sifam knobs used on the 200e are available for that shaft type, but the smallest size isn't large enough to fit. Also the knob diameters on the Selco/Sifam knobs aren't the same as the Rogans, so it might look a bit strange in relation to the graphics.

n3wt15 wrote:
May be a silly question, but will these panels fit in a serge boat, and could they be made to work with serge, or is the design of the circuitry only compatable with buchla?

They might fit in the boat, but the mounting holes would be in different places and Buchla panels have widths that are multiples of 4.25" (not 1" like Serge). Modulation and trigger inputs have also been changed to Buchla standards, so it's probably a non-starter for Serge compatibility.

In better news, beginning to order parts for the Digital Resonator now, will post an update about availability soon.
themanthatwasused
n3wt15 wrote:
I was looking for someone to help me a while back to help make me panels for some of these modules to put in my serge system, as I want to stick to my banana cables.
Not that I wouldnt like to state a buchla system....but ya know....$$$

I already have plenty of serge power and boats already...

Be in contact with thebadproducer as he has adapted mutable designs in the serge format a couple of times already. Look for loudestwarning website
meatcliff
sempervirent wrote:
In better news, beginning to order parts for the Digital Resonator now, will post an update about availability soon.

thats what i like to hear cool
sempervirent
Working on some new layouts as I wait for various parts and pieces to arrive. Here's a "paper prototype" of the layout for Temporal Pattern Generator, based on Grids. This includes the hidden outputs from the original (internal clock and random clock) along with some extra clock division outputs.

pr_simon
Very excited as well with all these.
Following up on your first estimation in late may, a july preorder launch date for the Dual Algorithmic Osc and the Modal Synth Voice now seems less and less likely, so may I ask if you have a new schedule in mind ?

All things in due time of course, no pressure, but it's always better to have a rough idea when saving up (which for most non-super-rich is about selling gear on time and then, very often, as desired new product's release gets pushed back, failing to keep the money d'oh! )
sempervirent
Thanks for asking. Wow, has it been that long already? (Late May)

We're not too far off schedule, prototype panels for the DAO and MSV were delayed but we're back on track now. Hoping to have the prototype builds done this week.

Also the Digital Resonator prototype is going out to Todd (vgermuse) today for beta testing, if all is well I will go ahead and open up preorders for that one.
pr_simon
Sounds great !
hydrophilos
Indeed, can't wait!
malnatim
will these be available as pcbs or pcbs & panels?
sempervirent
Not planning to offer a DIY option... see the unsuccessful Mutable DIY builds thread for a few reasons why.
Synesthesia
nanners
Drillionaire
sempervirent wrote:
Not planning to offer a DIY option... see the unsuccessful Mutable DIY builds thread for a few reasons why.

What about providing the gerbers for people who want to order their own PCBs?
pichenettes
Drillionaire wrote:

These Buchla adaptations are a derivative of the original PCBs, which means they'll have to be released under the cc-by-sa licence, which means anybody will be free to grab the files, convert to Gerber and have the boards made somewhere.
Drillionaire
pichenettes wrote:
Drillionaire wrote:

These Buchla adaptations are a derivative of the original PCBs, which means they'll have to be released under the cc-by-sa licence, which means anybody will be free to grab the files, convert to Gerber and have the boards made somewhere.

I thought the same thing about the Northern Light Modular Ornament + Crime buchla-format module, but all they released were PNG files of the eagle documents. Unless they've released more documentation since the last time I looked. I can't say I'm an expert on the CC-SA license though.
Synesthesia
Hey Drillionnaire,

I can't say I am an expert either - which is why we haven't rushed into releasing our files and went to Max for guidance- as we have an agreement with him.

We will release our gerber files - after a few modifications, to clearly show that any PCB's made wouldn't be the same that we use for built modules ( Serial Number field etc.)
malnatim
pichenettes wrote:
Drillionaire wrote:

thank you for clearing that up oliver. i hope you're receiving some payment for the built modules.
pichenettes
Quote:
i hope you're receiving some payment for the built modules.

I am not... but I don't care.

I would be bothered, though, if Grayscale used countermeasures to prevent other people from benefiting from their work (such as publishing their "sources" as non-editable image files instead of CAD files).
sempervirent
The PCB design files will be shared in their native formats, along with any modified source code.

This is mentioned in the first post of the thread, although if "source files" seemed ambiguous, hopefully that's clarified now.
pichenettes
Quote:
The PCB design files will be shared in their native formats, along with any modified source code.

And that, gentlemen, is how it should be done!
cuttooth
sempervirent wrote:

Top shelf! cool
sempervirent

Dual Algorithmic Oscillator is ready for preorder. Estimated price is going to be $750, shipping in 6-8 weeks. If you want to get on the waiting list, please send a PM with your email address and location.

Digital Resonator is going to need another prototype, so that one is pushed back by a few more weeks. Modal Synthesis Voice is being tested out now. The others are still being prototyped, but moving forward.
cuttooth
Appreciate the update; thanks!
sempervirent
Now taking preorders for the Dual Algorithmic Oscillator... with many other modules in the queue, this will be a limited run. The preorder is $250 with the remainder due when the module is ready to ship (sometime in October).

If you're still on the fence, here's a Krell patch from Todd Barton (who was kind enough to spend some time testing it out last week) that uses the DAO:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6QpQZHTTU/
djangosfire
Had the rare chance to try out the Buchla format “Dual Algorithmic Oscillator” .... and really caught me off guard... freaking AWESOME and perfect addition to the Buchla format we're not worthy

I am uploading a Youtube patch using this module - will post the link in a few.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
sempervirent
Thanks Adam!

meatcliff
so cool
paranoidmoonduck
That looks amazing. Looking forward to the Rings & Clouds-based modules!
sempervirent
Hey, thanks for the interest.

The second prototype of Digital Resonator is out for beta testing now, hopefully it will be ready soon.

SMP is still in progress, currently making firmware changes to handle the extra hardware. Will post updates as things develop.
InnnerSight
The easel through rings and clouds would be a match made in heaven for me. Great work.
sawersky
Deffo looking forward for all modules.
Amazing work !
sempervirent
sawersky wrote:
Deffo looking forward for all modules.
Amazing work !

Hey, thanks. The DAO modules are being assembled now and should be shipping within the next 2-3 weeks. Will post updates as things come together.
sempervirent
The DAO modules are just about ready. The first batch of panels had silkscreen issues and they are being re-screened this week.

I'll be contacting everyone who preordered over the next few days to very shipping info, etc.

Modules will be calibrated for 1.2V/Oct by default (which is very easy thanks to Olivier's digital calibration schema) but 1V/Oct is possible too.

Synesthesia
sempervirent wrote:

Modules will be calibrated for 1.2V/Oct by default (which is very easy thanks to Olivier's digital calibration schema) but 1V/Oct is possible too.

Braids is so cool for that smile
sparks
sempervirent wrote:
I'll be contacting everyone who preordered over the next few days to very shipping info, etc.

Great! SlayerBadger!
WeepWow
Interested in hearing about the Buchla Mutable Braids et all, when they are available, pricing, etc.
ps-where is cascadia?
JamieDrouin
http://grayscale.info/buchla/
WeepWow
Quote:
http://grayscale.info/buchla/

Thanks for that.

Question is:
Does it sound like Buchla or Eurorack?
I just started my Buchla 200 clones system, (6 modules in).
I do notice a slight difference in the quality of sound vs. my Eurorack system, (unless I am just telling myself that because its gonna be an expensive venture). I am getting great sound from my Eurorack, no complaints.
lasesentaysiete
WeepWow
Have you seen and heard the demo videos?
cyberdine
Is there any updated on the preorders shipping?
WeepWow
Quote:
Have you seen and heard the demo videos?

yes, only quickly though.
I mean to compare them in person, in my studio, coming out of my JBL 4411's.
cuttooth
cyberdine wrote:

I'm also curious about this; I haven't received an invoice or anything just yet. Hopefully soon? sad banana
WeepWow
I dont think I need to replicate what I have in my Eurorack into Buchla at this point. (Rings, Braids, Elements, Synth Tech etc)

Maybe once I fill up my Buchla rack with the actual modules designed by Don Buchla, I will consider the others.
sempervirent
WeepWow wrote:
Interested in hearing about the Buchla Mutable Braids et all, when they are available, pricing, etc.

They're being released one at a time, the first is the DAO. No pricing or ETA for the others yet, but they are being actively developed and tested.

cyberdine wrote:

I'll be contacting everyone today to request shipping details and payment for the remainder. Thanks to everyone for being patient.
cuttooth

But seriously, thank you for the update. Can't wait to play with the DAO and all the others!
sempervirent
As of today, most DAO preorders have been shipped. A few will have to wait until next week, but all preorders will be fulfilled by the end of the year.

Thanks again to everyone for their patience. I never expected the panel shop to take 10+ weeks to supply correct panels and will be using a different supplier for future modules.

Looking forward to seeing what people create, please feel free to post videos, etc here or tag @grayscalemodular if you're an Instagram user. I'll be doing some videos as well, once I'm caught up on shipping.

Synesthesia
loving the box wink

congrats on shipping wink
doepferiano
waiting next 2018 grin
Synesthesia
I see your pcb files are on your github - any plans to share the panel file too ?
kbrush
just unpacked them. still building out this system so can’t take em for a test drive just yet, but the build quality is on point (as expected given experience with Grayscale in the euro arena).

once this system is ready to go they will be first to get the full attention treatment. Cheers Grayscale! Outstanding job, thank you!!

askthedust
kbrush wrote:
just unpacked them. still building out this system so can’t take em for a test drive just yet, but the build quality is on point (as expected given experience with Grayscale in the euro arena).

once this system is ready to go they will be first to get the full attention treatment. Cheers Grayscale! Outstanding job, thank you!!

Seems like a pretty ready to go system to me...or do you think you need a 4th Pendulum Ratchet?
kbrush
i had that one coming
Precarious
sempervirent wrote:
As of today, most DAO preorders have been shipped. A few will have to wait until next week, but all preorders will be fulfilled by the end of the year.

Dual Algorithmic Oscillator looks amazing!
Basically two full voices using the internal VCAs.
Really want one but can't swing it right now.

Any idea how long these will be available? Short run?

Double checking:
1. Internal quantization and input voltage set to 1.2v/oct, correct?
2. Is current state saved at power down?
ArguZ
Here is the manual if you want to get a headstart :
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/braids/manual
Scaling can be set during calibration to 1.0 or 1.2 or whatever you like.
Saving is done automatically ..
woVERTICES
Got mine today...a worthy addition to the Buchla paradigm!!!
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com

djangosfire
A thing of beauty! Arrived today.... music tonight!!

cyberdine
Just got mine too, and really liking it.

Can the firmware be updated like the Eurorack version?
kitchentone
Mine arrive yesterday Rockin' Banana!
sempervirent
Hey everyone, thanks for posting photos, very cool to see where the modules ended up! Now how about some sounds? (I need to do some more of that myself as well, so that there's an official demo video of the module.)

cyberdine wrote:
Can the firmware be updated like the Eurorack version?

The audio update method on Braids uses the FM input, which is a grounded TS jack. On the DAO, the FM input is a banana jack, and a common ground is needed. That means wiring up a split cable (here's one nicely made example) or otherwise splitting a TS jack into separate signal and ground wires that can be routed to the module and your system ground, respectively. This allows you to update the firmware from your computer, phone, etc. As with the Eurorack version, it's critical to get the volume level on the source device just right.

You could also get an inexpensive STLink programmer online, the DAO does have JTAG headers on the back (the FTDI headers were not included).

Updates should not really be necessary though, since all DAO modules shipped with the "final" firmware for Braids (v1.9) and there won't be any official firmware updates in the future. The unofficial alternate firmware (Bees in the Trees) adds a lot of extra features (though it also adds a lot of extra menu diving).

Note that you'll have to recalibrate the module after installing any new firmware (which is fairly simple, check the Braids documentation). The calibration process is the same for the DAO, except that if you want 1.2V/Oct pitch tracking, you would use 1.2V for C2 and 3.6V for C4. If you want to calibrate the DAO for 1V/Oct instead, that's also possible.

Also worth mentioning that the firmware includes a built-in quantizer (something that the Buchla format is currently lacking) with over 40 different scales.
ArguZ
The Buchla format is lacking a quantizer ?
Oh...
auxren
ArguZ wrote:
The Buchla format is lacking a quantizer ?
Oh...

The quantizer was removed from the firmware??
askthedust
I think he means that Buchla, as a format, is lacking a quantizing module, which is the reason why the one in the DAO will come handy. But English is not my native tongue so I might be wrong.
Synesthesia
askthedust wrote:
I think he means that Buchla, as a format, is lacking a quantizing module, which is the reason why the one in the DAO will come handy. But English is not my native tongue so I might be wrong.

English isn't my mother tong either - but I think your understanding is right. ( I am French too wink )

but there is a few option out there.

The Northern Light 2OC, or Card OC are both in Buchla Format, and include 2 different type of quantizer - Dual and Quad. It can be seen on kitchentone's picture just higher up. ( another Francophone BTW ; ) )

The Clee Quantizer has been seen in Buchla format too.

Mark Verbos had one too - 263v ? Mark stills build Buchla modules on demand, like the Harmonic OSC .
pr_simon
Roman's utility 244 model also has a quad quantizer amongst other things, albeit a seemingly basic one where you can't select defined scales
(Cheers, fellow french)
sempervirent
Yes, I was referring to a lack of dedicated quantizer modules. The 263v is probably the closest thing to what I have in mind, but I'd forgotten about it because the only place I've ever seen one is on Mark's abandoned blog.
sempervirent
Here's a preview of Modal Synthesis Voice (Elements)... had a lot of fun with this one, it's capable of so much timbral variation. Check the Elements manual for an explanation of the "modal synthesis" concept and an overview of the parameters.

All four channels of the 245r are patched in, with some extra modulation coming from the 281r and 266r. The MSV has a total of 14 modulation/control inputs, plus external audio inputs which are not used in this video. Outputs are direct, not passed through the 292 (MSV has an internal VCA). Reverb is also internal (via the Space parameter).

The prototype is fully functional at this point, so it's time to send it out for beta testing. No pricing or ETA yet, but contact me if you want to get on the list for this one.

Still prioritizing the Digital Resonator (Rings) and Stereo Microsound Processor (Clouds) for the next two releases, those will hopefully be ready for beta testers by the end of the month as well.

https://vimeo.com/250939933

cuttooth
Yesssss! It's so exciting to watch these come together...thank you for sharing! It's peanut butter jelly time!
edwinm
I've been bitten by the DIY Buchla bug, almost finished building a 208. Are you going to be releasing panel files for the Buchla Braids as well as the pcb files? Not sure I've got the skills to make my own! Cheers!
sempervirent
The reasons for sharing the PCB files are unrelated to facilitating DIY builds... thus, no panel templates or other files are provided.

If you want the module, consider buying one so that I can continue working on this project.

If you want to build your own, then it's truly a "do it yourself" endeavor in all respects.
knittingram
For anyone who missed out on Wes' first DAO run,
I'll just leave this here:

http://noisebug.net/site/grayscale/index.cfm?ID=2
knittingram

WeepWow
I am interested in hearing comments from actual DAO users who have used it for a while.
I am moving into 200e modules with the Preset manager control, but I have a few 5 or 6 clones, including Sputnik 289. I may keep a separate Buchla clones system, and add a DAO and other upcoming Grayscale-Mutable clones as they are developed.
I have most of the Mutable stuff in my Eurorack System as well.
sempervirent
What would you like to know? If you're familiar with Braids already, the sound quality, available algorithms, etc are the same.

Here are a few videos by djangosfire. I've recorded a lot of clips but haven't had a chance to edit them down yet.

The first batch has sold out, but you can grab one from Noisebug (link above) or PM me to get on the waiting list for the second batch. Will be sharing some clips from the other new modules soon, still prototyping and tweaking.

WeepWow
Sounds great, thanks.

Any possibility of developing a 'Sampler' in Buchla Format? We need one, maybe touch screen like Bitbox.
sempervirent
Doing a sampler would be interesting, it's definitely on the list of possibilities.

For now, just trying to wrap up the prototypes for modules that have already been announced.

Here's one of them (Temporal Pattern Generator, based on Grids):
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg9gtESBn6i/

WeepWow
Excellent. Lots of work for you, best wishes.
batchas
sempervirent wrote:

Ha! Funny I went in a similar direction for my pers. BugBrand version on the first layout I did.
In french we use to say "les grands esprits se rencontrent" Guinness ftw!

On a smaller surface of course as it's 3U and I did not want to have too many elements on small surface, nevertheless the attenuators you add are actually inspiring.

At the end I decided to go a different way for the layout (more like the original one, as it was the first PCB I was redrawing with 0803 components. I'll show it in the BugBrand section). Adding random out, changed some words, changed the module name to "GRILLE" etc.
Anyway, all these MI circuits are a plus in any system.

EDIT: SMD on this project are 0803 not 0805.
sempervirent
Haha, yes, "les grands esprits se rencontrent"

PM me a link once your Bugbrand conversion is done, would like to see some photos.

I like your layout better than the original Eurorack version (and it's ~2hp narrower as well). Not sure what your newer layout looks like, but on this one, if you moved the Fill jack to be above Accent, then moved the LED to be above Trig, you could move the Fill knobs down and then perhaps use larger-size knobs for the Map X/Y and Chaos parameters.

On my photo above, it's not visible due to the depth of field but the upper right has T/2 and T/4 clock divider outputs, the random clock output, and a logical NOR of the random clock. Worth mentioning that the Clock output jack in the photo is orange (should be red). The rendering posted on ModularGrid is more clear:
https://www.modulargrid.net/u/grayscale-temporal-pattern-generator
batchas
sempervirent wrote:
PM me a link once your Bugbrand conversion is done, would like to see some photos.

Sure thumbs up
Rapid in UK was out of the red bananas, so it might take a few more weeks :(

Glad I got the first one I did to work (just had to set fuses correctly) and the second and last I made yesterday did not.
GND spreads everywhere on all pots, resistors, regulator etc. Like if the microcontroller pins were touching, but they do not. Was the all day troubleshooting yesterday, cutting traces, scoping etc etc, without success.
So I'll stick for now on the working one!

sempervirent wrote:
I like your layout better than the original Eurorack version (and it's ~2hp narrower as well). Not sure what your newer layout looks like, but on this one, if you moved the Fill jack to be above Accent, then moved the LED to be above Trig, you could move the Fill knobs down and then perhaps use larger-size knobs for the Map X/Y and Chaos parameters.

Thanks!
The layout I choosed at the end is more or less the standard one. I was a bit "scared" taking the layout I show here, as I was making the pcb with these SMD for the first time and also not very used to the Diptrace which I'm still learning.
Still took me a long time to finish, but I learned a lot!

sempervirent wrote:
On my photo above, it's not visible due to the depth of field but the upper right has T/2 and T/4 clock divider outputs, the random clock output, and a logical NOR of the random clock. Worth mentioning that the Clock output jack in the photo is orange (should be red). The rendering posted on ModularGrid is more clear:
https://www.modulargrid.net/u/grayscale-temporal-pattern-generator

I knew it from here: http://i.imgur.com/5XQvrv3.jpg in one of your previous post and already thought this is very cool 
Because you do not just stick to the open source circuit (like most people do, and I'm still one of them), you also try to take the best part of the format you're doing it for, if it has enough space for some xtra functionality.
Also because like all Grayscale layouts, it definitely rules, compared to the other things I see 

BTW, not sure people realise the amount of work hidden behind all new release. Not only the layout work, but also the circuit, pcb, testing/troubleshooting part, being it at the origin open source or not, it is still an immense amount of work achieved.
And I saw here you also make a packaging w00t

EDIT:
batchas wrote:
Glad I got the first one I did to work (just had to set fuses correctly) and the second and last I made yesterday did not.
GND spreads everywhere on all pots, resistors, regulator etc. Like if the microcontroller pins were touching, but they do not. Was the all day troubleshooting yesterday, cutting traces, scoping etc etc, without success.
So I'll stick for now on the working one!

I left it a few days, came back today with something in mind. And in 30 mins it was running. Will post in the DIY part to explain the method I used.
batchas
sempervirent wrote:
on this one, if you moved the Fill jack to be above Accent, then moved the LED to be above Trig, you could move the Fill knobs down and then perhaps use larger-size knobs for the Map X/Y and Chaos parameters.

Indeed! I had the LED at the top right side of the banana first like I usually do on my Serge layouts. I don't remember why I abandonned the idea!

Anyway it's very good you mentionned this, even if I took the other layout already, cause I'm a bit too attached to balance in layout and definitely did not think about moving the fill input to the left and it would not make it ugly at all (plus big knobs are way easier to source).
pickleinn
Just hooked up my DAO and I can definitively say I is at the top of my fave list. Looking forward to rings
cuttooth
I'm still champing at the bit for the other releases! How's the schedule looking these days?
pickleinn
Alright, I definitely want the temporal pattern generator (actually all of these). I absolutely love the DAO after using it for a while.

Any ideas on when the next release may be? If you need any beta testers or builders let me know
sempervirent

Hey guys, thanks for asking. I know it's been a while but there's a lot happening behind the scenes. Here's an update:

Stereo Microsound Processor (Clouds): getting closer. Price is going to be in the $800-900 range. Latest prototype is working great, currently out for beta testing.

Modal Synthesis Voice (Elements): also out for beta testing, no ETA or price but only minor issues with the prototype (pictured above).

Digital Resonator (Rings): still prototyping, decided to try a different approach to the normalizations to simplify the hardware changes.

Temporal Pattern Generator (Grids): also still prototyping, just ordered the latest PCB rev last week which should hopefully fix all known issues.

Planning to keep up with other new MI releases such as Plaits, Stages, and Marbles... also developing several other modules to fill various functional gaps in the 200-series canon.

Also, to better differentiate these Buchla-format releases from ongoing Eurorack module development under the Grayscale name, future 4U projects will be released under a new brand called 1979.

More info to come but a new website at 1979.ws will be the primary source for all future 4U modules.

Electric Music Store is also now on board as a reseller (and they have the DAO in stock if you're looking for one).
pickleinn
awesome news. thanks for the update, really great to hear the progress and future plans for more!
cuttooth
So ready for these! I hope I didn't miss the SMP pre-order? sad banana
sempervirent
Testing out the "final" SMP prototype this week. Also have a new build of the Temporal Pattern Generator. Will start taking preorders for these shortly.
cyberdine
awesome!
sempervirent
Here's a lo-fi clip of the SMP prototype mangling a one-second sample from this instrumental track... the Position parameter is being modulated which scans through the individual pitches in the melody.

Apart from a few firmware tweaks (for the buffer/memory UI interactions) I think this one is ready for production.

http://vimeo.com/276647256
cuttooth
Woo hoo! I'm super-hyped for this one. Thanks for sharing this. Guinness ftw!
lumin
Sounds mental. Excellent work man
Mr. Squiggle
Is it possible these will ever be released [/video]e series modules?
levelhead3
Just checking in on the preorder status for the SMP and hopefully, the DR. These two are absolute must haves, so want to make sure I don't miss the boat. Any word?
sempervirent
Mr. Squiggle wrote:
Is it possible these will ever be released e series modules?

No... although the 200e is an impressive achievement, I prefer preset-free patching and these modules reflect that preference.

levelhead3 wrote:
Just checking in on the preorder status for the SMP and hopefully, the DR. These two are absolute must haves, so want to make sure I don't miss the boat. Any word?

No worries, I'll definitely keep the thread updated. PM me your email if you want to be on the mailing list.

SMP is like 99% done. Will start taking preorders soon.

DR is not quite ready, doing one more prototype rev.

Here's an SMP photo (earlier prototype, the LED switch is different now and the layout has changed slightly on the final rev, but it's really real, promise):

lumin
These are slowly wearing me down. May have to finally start a modular after years of being able to say "no".
pr_simon
2 months since the last update, just checking in on how this is all progressing, mostly in order to schedule budget accordingly.
Quite interested in the Temporal Pattern Generator (that doesn't seem to generate the most enthusiastic response here) and the Modal voice as well !
anomie
I'm also interested in the temporal pattern generator (it's either that or the Northern Lights TT module!)

The Clouds module sounds beautiful and would be just right for some of the ambient stuff I do, but I wish it was a single space module - that's a lot of real estate for one unit!
pr_simon
It does take a lot of real estate but so do several of the more feature rich classic 200 modules like the 296 & 259.
Sure it may be less than ideal for those with limited space but I actually quite like how Grayscale is carefull to respect the canon, both aesthetically and ergonomically.
To me, that pragmatic approach of cramping a maximum of functionalities into a minimum hp is reminiscent of Eurorack (and well some 200e modules), not always the most engaging to use !
cuttooth
pr_simon wrote:
Grayscale is careful to respect the canon, both aesthetically and ergonomically.

I agree. From what I've seen of the preliminary layouts, these modules look like they'll be a joy to explore. Hopefully we all get to dive in soon!
levelhead3
Completely agree - it's why I finally ended up back with Buchla after years of trying to really get on board with my Eurorack system. it sounded great, but the cramped layouts and small knobs just never inspired me the way the Buchla modules did.

I've used the Rings + Clouds combination in both the Eurorack and 5u formats, and have to say the aesthetics and ergonomics of Grayscale's adaptations look incredibly well thought out.

All I have to say is I've been jealously guarding three spaces in my case for the DR + SMP. Bring 'em! w00t
cuttooth
levelhead3 wrote:
All I have to say is I've been jealously guarding three spaces in my case for the DR + SMP. Bring 'em! w00t

5 spaces in my boats (DR, SMP, MSV), with 2 more adaptations planned...I know what you mean! spinning
reverberation
Bought the Dual Algorithmic Oscillator last night. Looking forward to play with it and I might sell my eurorack version now.
sempervirent
Hey, thanks a lot. I'll post some updates in the next few days re: upcoming preorders and a new website specifically for these Buchla-format modules. Haven't been very active on here lately but there's a lot going on behind the scenes...
sempervirent
Also here's a demo of the Temporal Pattern Generator that I uploaded a few days ago. This is Grids in Buchla format with the previously hidden Clock and Random outputs brought to the front panel. I'm not much of a MIDI user these days but there is also a header on the back for wiring your own breakout if you want to sync to MIDI clock. It's really fun to play around with this module in a Buchla system. Need to do one more rev to explore another added feature. Patch notes:

Quote:
Four outputs from the 1979 Temporal Pattern Generator (TPG) trigger all four channels of the 281r, which open all four channels of the 292r, which is receiving four differently-tuned 258r VCOs.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/1979modular/buchla-tpg-2018-12-23[/s]
lumin
Really dope. Nice work.
Reed
Yeah!
Lewis#
Would definitely buy a resonator!
jimfowler
Any word on your Rings adaptation? Still very excited for that one. It's one of a very few modules I miss from euro land.

- Jim
sempervirent
The new 1979 website is up and preorders for the DR and SMP are open:

https://1979.ws/digital-resonator/
https://1979.ws/stereo-microsound-processor/

Both modules are in a pre-production status which means that all the parts required for assembly are being sourced in production quantities. Assembly will begin in the next 2-3 weeks. ETA for shipping is late March or early April.

Unlike the DAO these preorders are for the full price of the module. If you would rather wait until the modules are ready to ship, send me a message and I'll put you on the waiting list, but a preorder is the only way to ensure that you get a module from this batch.

I'll be getting some photos and demo videos posted ASAP. In the meantime there are many excellent demos for Rings and Clouds online already. Here's one that even shows Rings going into Clouds, and then Clouds going into Rings.
jimfowler
Looks great! So did the H-sized DIY version of the Rings (hRI?) adaptation get scrapped? I was excited to have a pair of Rings in one module's space.

- Jim
sempervirent
That's something Northern Light was working on. Different company, different opinions on ergonomics.
cuttooth
Fantastic to see the site up, congrats! So happy to be that much closer to enjoying these modules.
jimfowler
sempervirent wrote:
That's something Northern Light was working on. Different company, different opinions on ergonomics.

My bad. Didn't mean to confuse you folks. Looking forward to hearing what this can do in context.
ArguZ
jimfowler wrote:
Looks great! So did the H-sized DIY version of the Rings (hRI?) adaptation get scrapped? I was excited to have a pair of Rings in one module's space.

- Jim

It has proven to be a complex beast..
It is also one of the most dense Mutables and we do not see fit for the DIY crowd as it is now.
We have two working prototypes but then again there in only so much much time in a day and we also wanted to focus on our own designs.
Pailo
sempervirent wrote:
The new 1979 website is up and preorders for the DR and SMP are open:

https://1979.ws/digital-resonator/
https://1979.ws/stereo-microsound-processor/

Great Job! hyper
sparks
YAY! Ordered! w00t
Lewis#
just ordered the resonator - looking forward to hear it ...
ws9848
I just pre ordered the smp. It looks like I’ll probably have to get the DAO pretty soon too. These look pretty cool!
anomie
I was saving funds for the DAO, and now you hit me with this. Rings in Buchla looks very cool applause
mutierend
Preordered the SMP. Breaking out the hidden features and simplifying the bank selection were huge selling points for me.
Siren
Ok, so no food and shelter this month - just ordered the resonator and the SMP.
sempervirent
Just wanted to post an update... first of all, huge thanks to everyone who has preordered. I know that it's taken some time for these modules to come together and I appreciate the patience and support.

We're probably looking at late April rather than early April but things are moving forward on the production front. Starting to work on some demo clips, here are screen captures. Will start posting some demos soon.

Work continues on the other Mutable adaptations previously announced (Elements, Frames, Grids) plus some others (Stages, Marbles, Plaits) and plenty of new stuff too. No shortage of ideas lately!

Also 1979 is now on Facebook and Instagram if you're into that sort of thing.

cuttooth
sempervirent wrote:
Just wanted to post an update...

Greatly appreciated! Still really looking forward to these.
mutierend
I am anxious to get my SMP, but I am patient for the quality of your work!
ws9848
How are the demos coming along?
Lewis#
Hi please give us an update on estimated shipping date.
Thanks.
sempervirent
Lewis# wrote:
Hi please give us an update on estimated shipping date.
Thanks.

Will start shipping next week, both modules (SMP and DR) are in final QA/testing.

ws9848 wrote:
How are the demos coming along?

I'll post some demos once the modules are shipping.
Lewis#
Great thanks!
sempervirent
The good news: DR and SMP modules are here!

The bad news: my assembler used red jacks instead of orange for all the pulse inputs!

Some rework will be needed before shipping. I'm starting with the DRs, preorders for those will go out on Tuesday (Monday is a USPS holiday). It will be a few more days before any preorders that include the SMP will be shipped. Apologies for the delays but we're almost there.
jimfowler
Can’t wait to hear the digital resonator in action!
ws9848
I see the SMP is available on the website. Does that mean the preorders are shipping? Should I have been notified or anything? Will there be tracking info or will it just show up?
sempervirent
Yes, both modules are available now. Getting preorders shipped out ASAP. All shipments include USPS tracking, you'll get a notification by email with tracking info when the shipping label is created.
ws9848
Thanks!
@green
In reference to the Temporal Pattern Generator, I’m curious how the output triggers and accents will translate to buchla standards? I.e., on the original modules they both output +5v with a duration of 1ms in the default (trigger) setting or for the entire duration of the clock’s positive cycle in gate mode.
sempervirent
I don't plan to change much about how the outputs work (other than boosting the output levels to +10V across the board).

The first TPG prototype could trigger just about anything in my 200r system. The 1ms timing should not be a problem, the Pendulum/Ratchet for example also generates 1ms pulses and it will also trigger just about anything in my 200r system.

As you mention, the Grids firmware offers a choice of 1ms triggers or gated pulses of an arbitrary length and I think that's flexible enough for most use cases.
@green
sempervirent wrote:
I don't plan to change much about how the outputs work (other than boosting the output levels to +10V across the board).

The first TPG prototype could trigger just about anything in my 200r system. The 1ms timing should not be a problem, the Pendulum/Ratchet for example also generates 1ms pulses and it will also trigger just about anything in my 200r system.

As you mention, the Grids firmware offers a choice of 1ms triggers or gated pulses of an arbitrary length and I think that's flexible enough for most use cases.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m intrigued how this would play out with my selection of modules. The point of my post was to see if you planned on using the 200 series Pulse standard of a 10v spike followed by 5v sustaining gate or even the old 200 standard of a 15v spike followed by 7.5v gate in any of the modes. Good to hear the prototype is triggering just about anything you’ve tested it with. Have you tried the 245/246r and 266r?
sempervirent
The TPG can trigger the 212r, 245r, 266r, 281r, etc so it's working as intended IMO. I think a sharp-edged 0-10V pulse is the best option here so that's the "standard" I intend to follow. For modules that do require a combined trigger+pulse there's more flexibility in creating this shape externally by mixing a short trigger with a gate of the desired amplitude and duration.

Back on the subject of the DR and SMP, just a few preorders are still being prepped for shipping, if you haven't received tracking info within 24h please contact me.

I appreciate everyone's patience with these two new releases. There have been a lot of decisions to make regarding assembly methods, PCB design, power connectors, custom tooling for D-shaft knobs, etc which will set the foundation for all future 1979 modules. Future releases should go much more smoothly as a result.

On that note the next Mutable adaptation in the queue is the Modal Synthesis Voice (MSV) which is based on Elements. Will keep the thread updated as things come together.

Until then, time to switch gears and finish up demo videos for the DR and SMP.
Siren
I haven’t received my tracking info on the DR and SMP yet, so I’m probably among those still being prepped. Are these reasonably fast shippings? I’m asking because I’m going away for the summer in less than two weeks. Starting to worry I won’t be home to receive the parcel..
jimfowler
I see that Noisebug has a DR in stock. I'm about this close to caving and buying one but I'd LOVE to hear it in context first. So...audio (or better yet video) demos would be rad.

- Jim
sempervirent
Sure, I am still planning to do this but creating module videos is one of the most time-consuming and least-enjoyable things for me because not only are viewers evaluating the module itself, they are also evaluating your cinematographic and musical abilities! It's no wonder that most Eurorack companies outsource this task to other people.

Maybe someone who has a DR (or SMP) in hand will post some clips. I realize that videos are a key selling point for some but given the time and effort involved and all the other work that's going on it's difficult to prioritize.
mutierend
sempervirent wrote:

Maybe someone who has a DR (or SMP) in hand will post some clips.

Coming soon.....
sempervirent
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
meatcliff
These clips are both heavily based around the digital resonator, recorded when I was beta testing the module in late 2017. A bit clippy since the DR was too hot. It's a lot more forgiving now. Both recordings are cut from one long session, used: 208r, sputnik 244, 258r, grayscale digital resonator, sputnik 289r, not sure if I had a 207r by then.

Eurorack Mutable Rings demo videos should give a good idea of general range, tho obviously the Buchla experience/limitations make things a bit different. Great module.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/ac_1117_0519edit/s-mNjnM[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/nov_6_a_eq/s-N0hfs[/s]
Fuzz
I dig the air hockey in the background of the first track!
@green
This is a video highlighting just the WMAP Wavetable Synthesis Algorithm. Scrolling the X and Y axis to showcase as many of the 256 possible wavetable timbres as possible. I know Braids has been around, but I love it in Buchla! Thank you to Bob Borries for the illustrated manual!

@green
This patch consists of random voltage being sent from a BEMI Buchla Music Easel to the pitch cv input of the DAO. The same random voltage is being used to slightly manipulate the timing of the Pulser which is also controlling a lopass gate from a 292r in combo mode. The cv of the modulation oscillator of the Easel is being used to animate the wavetable sweep of this algorithm. The delay effect is coming from a 4ms Dual Looping Delay who's timing is being synced to the same meandering Pulser. Notice how the random voltage is a looped sequence. It sounds quite melodic thanks to the ability to quantize to semitones in the DAO.

sempervirent
Thanks for posting (and making!) these demos. WMAP and WTBL are two of my favorite modes from Braids/DAO.

Noisebug posted a few SMP demos recently as well:

@green
sempervirent
Very nice... boldly going where no Buchla has gone before!

I wouldn't have had enough self-control to avoid using any reverb for 33+ minutes, haha.

I find that "Clouds" and it's various descendants (including the SMP) work best with random modulation on the inputs (especially Position and Size). That's for more typical granular processing however. I like how you are using the SMP here like a second tape recorder and manipulating the pitch in ways that resemble grabbing a tape reel or pressing pause on a cassette player.

I really need to up my demo game, hope to have more time for making videos soon.

Also have some new prototypes coming in over the next few weeks:

MSV (Modal Synthesis Voice): based on Elements
OVCA (Octal VCA): eight clean VCAs for CV and audio
DSVF: Discrete State Variable Filter
DVCM: Dual VC Mixer

All but the OVCA are in their second or third revision and should be ready for release soon.
levelhead3
Any updates on the DSS?
sempervirent
Same status as before: still in the development queue, no ETA.
lumin
just wanted to comment on first track. this makes me feel the same way as listening to a boards of canada track does. highest praise to you. love this immensely

meatcliff wrote:
These clips are both heavily based around the digital resonator, recorded when I was beta testing the module in late 2017. A bit clippy since the DR was too hot. It's a lot more forgiving now. Both recordings are cut from one long session, used: 208r, sputnik 244, 258r, grayscale digital resonator, sputnik 289r, not sure if I had a 207r by then.

Eurorack Mutable Rings demo videos should give a good idea of general range, tho obviously the Buchla experience/limitations make things a bit different. Great module.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/ac_1117_0519edit/s-mNjnM[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/idmclassics/nov_6_a_eq/s-N0hfs[/s]
sempervirent
The latest prototype for MSV/Elements checks out. I'll be sending it up and down the West Coast over the next few weeks for field testing but I don't anticipate any major issues.

The next release will be the DVCM (see this thread for details) but the MSV will probably be shipping before the end of the year. It's been a while since the initial announcement so please comment/PM/email if you want to get on the waiting list.

cuttooth
You know I'm all-in for the MSV. It's peanut butter jelly time! Can't wait!
meatcliff
lumin wrote:
just wanted to comment on first track. this makes me feel the same way as listening to a boards of canada track does. highest praise to you. love this immensely

Thank you!
deltaphoenix
I just received a Digital Resonator from Noisebug yesterday and pop it into my case. Wow, it really sounds nice and it really fits on sound wise with the rest of my Buchla. Bravo!
jimfowler
"The PCB design files will be shared in their native formats, along with any modified source code."

Hi. I was wondering if this is still the plan (specifically re: modified source code) in case folks want to get in there and tinker with the firmware on the modules with additional hardware.

- Jim
sempervirent
deltaphoenix wrote:
I just received a Digital Resonator from Noisebug yesterday and pop it into my case. Wow, it really sounds nice and it really fits on sound wise with the rest of my Buchla. Bravo!

Thanks a lot, glad you're enjoying it. I'm still way behind on videos. Reached out to Todd Barton recently about doing something, that might happen soon. If you post any audio/video online, let me know, always curious.

jimfowler wrote:
I was wondering if this is still the plan (specifically re: modified source code) in case folks want to get in there and tinker with the firmware on the modules with additional hardware.[

Not planning to release code or binaries at this point. My perspective has changed since I made that comment 2+ years ago and the guy selling bootleg PCBs has only confirmed that perspective.
jimfowler
Well, it's a shame that folks like that are able to derail the spirit of Emilie's initial intention. The adverse effect is that it locks would-be buyers out of installing something like Clouds Parasite into the SMP.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 9