MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MegaOhm Custom Switching Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author MegaOhm Custom Switching Module
MindMachine
As I have mentioned a few times before, I am a huge fan of switches on modules for on/off duties. I use a Plan B model 9 for that function and also use the synthesizers.com multiple (if not in use) as an on/off swich for mostly audio paths, but also cv. Anyway, I asked Phil at MegaOhm about making one and this is what he did. I told him to skip on any labelin or graphics to save on cost. The top switch is attenuated. It was very resonably priced for a custom effort and he was extremely quick with shipping. It is a dream come true utility module. Works great and looks spiffy too. I forgot to take a picture of it in my cabinet last night, but here it is solo
JohnLRice
Nice touch to have the LED 'on' indicators! Just curious, how much did it cost?
MindMachine
Yeah the LED's... because I mostly do 'live' recordings, I wanted a visual for each channel too. I can run drones, sequencers (that do not have start/stop) or cassette loops through it and see which channel is which. I think it such a useful thing. I am always thinking up utility type modules and was stoked when Phil agreed to make it. He even squeezed in a channel with an attenuator!!!

edit: I should add that MegaOhm modules are built like tanks. Similar to MOTM in that they have the boards mounted to steel sheet behind the faceplate. Quality build for a one-off and good components too.

John I am not comfortable giving the price, because it was a one off and there was surely a learning curve to it, etc. Plus if someone wanted one they may want a tweak here or there, which would change cost. It was reasonable to me for sure.
JohnLRice
MindMachine wrote:
John I am not comfortable giving the price, because it was a one off and there was surely a learning curve to it, etc. Plus if someone wanted one they may want a tweak here or there, which would change cost. It was reasonable to me for sure.

Totally understood! thumbs up

Just a thought for folks that want a simple switcher (no LEDs or attenuator) and are capable of drilling holes in metal and soldering:

Take a simple multiples panel that has some extra space, like this STG one:

and then add a single DPDT switch below each jack group for stereo/dual switching (or two SPDT switches for individual switching) and then rewire the whole thing accordingly.

Many such journeys are possible. . . . (pop quiz: what TV show is that line from! hmmm..... hihi )
Just me
Star Trek!

And I've wanted to add a switch to my Dot com mults.
klstay
I wonder if the extra effort/cost of normaling the outputs would be worth it to potential buyers?
doctorvague
I've made 2 switcher modules (pics below). Actually I made a 4-bank like the second photo too. Moon Modular one posted as well, just for ideas.
If I was making something like MindMachine has I would use double-throw switches and wire them up as A-B switches instead of just on-off. You can use the A-B as on-off too, just plug into the common and 'A' and leave 'B' unused. Very handy for switching between 2 sources. If you use double-pole switches and don't use the other pole for an LED you can wire it to switch 2 signal paths at once– one switch controls 2 independent signal paths, like the Moon Modular one does (with double-pole rotaries). Also if I'm not mistaken I believe you can use the CK7211 On-On-On switch to switch between 3 sources (or 3 destinations) with a single toggle switch.
Just some ideas from a switch-lover.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1