MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Meris Ottobit (pedal bit crusher)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Meris Ottobit (pedal bit crusher)
dkcg

Meris is the new company from the founder of Strymon. Must have a kick ass lawyer to not have a non-competition clause when leaving Strymon. It's peanut butter jelly time!
smetak
Woe! Incredible! And if this is merely the "junior", I can barely imagine what the senior can do!

And you can still add an expression pedal to it! Serious stuff!
dkcg
I just had a little play with it as a send effect in the mixer, Octatrack and MachindrumUW into the mixer.

It's an amazing little box. There is a sequencer built in, along with stuttering (synced to the sequencer which is synced via tap and can sync via midi). The filter does a great job, and a very cool feature is that the sequencer can control shift (to play arpeggiated melodies) or filter frequency. So you can get a stepped filter sound in addition to the bit crushing, pitch shifting, stuttering, etc.

I bought it thinking I'd use it with guitar, but I'm starting to think that it will just stay in the mixer send so everything can use it.
smetak
After you posted notice on the pedal, looking around for it around the web (definitively spearheading my want list - after I get "Brothers", this will be my next purchase) and found only two demos - and almost no dealers for the Meris modules and pedals (found the reverb equally amazing!) - has it been properly released? Where did you get yours?
dkcg
They just started shipping it to dealers this week. I looked on Mesa Boogie Hollywood's website (Mesa-Boogie's official storefront in Hollywood), saw they had it in. Watched the demo again, and went to the store to get one. The sales person said that they had gotten them in that day when the owner of Meris dropped them off at the store. They must have been super quick with updating their webpage since it showed in stock when I looked in the late afternoon. Odd thing is that MesaHollywood is not listed as a dealer, but someone from Meris dropped them off at the store.

Vintage King is supposed to get hem in, or have gotten them in, I saw some people were still waiting on Vintage King, but I think I lucked out and found one local at Mesa. Had no idea I might be one of the first to buy one in LA. grin

One wicked cool thing I saw about the Mercury reverb is that you can use the expression to MORPH between two different sets of settings...not just use exp as a knob replacement. That really caught my eye...I may have to get one if I start looking for another reverb.

It looks like you can buy direct from them, but Vintage King should have them any day now if not already, unless Mesa Hollywood is just a drive away...

I thought about the Brothers, but I am way overset on ODs and distortions. Mainly using a PettyDrive V2 lately. Fairfield Unpleasent Surprise into that if I want to kick the OD into nasty mean sounds.

This will probably be the last pedal for a while...except maybe the Hexe Revolver I'm on the list for.
smetak
dkcg wrote:
One wicked cool thing I saw about the Mercury reverb is that you can use the expression to MORPH between two different sets of settings...not just use exp as a knob replacement. That really caught my eye...I may have to get one if I start looking for another reverb.

Vintage King was the only site I found it up for sale. But I'll wait a bit - made my list no doubt - and man how I "regreted" catching the Meris reverb demo - yes! The use of an expression to morph between settings really did catch my ears! And found the sound really mesmerzing - absolutely beautiful!!! I'm trying to hold my temptation in check on yet another reverb pedal, but this one really seems very impressive!

How did Strymon ever manage to lose this guy is beyond me! Both these pedals are in for the kill!
mateo
Hadn't heard about this company, but that reverb pedal looks awesome!
scrumbo mcgrumbo
This looks really neat, The full range of bit size is something I wish that the OTO Biscuit had.

It seems to have a trs stereo input, but does anyone know if it is true stereo? If the filter is analog I kinda doubt that it is stereo, especially for $300
mateo
scrumbo mcgrumbo wrote:
If the filter is analog I kinda doubt that it is stereo, especially for $300

It's not at all clear the filter is analog, it quite likely isn't...
dkcg
scrumbo mcgrumbo wrote:
This looks really neat, The full range of bit size is something I wish that the OTO Biscuit had.

It seems to have a trs stereo input, but does anyone know if it is true stereo? If the filter is analog I kinda doubt that it is stereo, especially for $300

Not sure if it's two separate channels, but if it's all digital, which I think it is, it might do parallel. I'll test it out this weekend.

There doesn't seem to be any resonance on the filter, it's more like a sweepable EQ than a filter in the synth sense of the word. It's not bad, but just not something that has any real character, but it is a great tool with the bit crushing and stuttering. I's fairly usable as a exp pedal controlled low pass w/o resonance. Would be cool if it had a Moog style drive control, but the lack of levels and resonance makes me think it's a digital filter.
p.j.
It looks wonderful.
smetak
Watched this demo yesterday:

Couldn't resist - went directly to the Meris site and fetched an Ottobit.
dkcg
smetak wrote:

That video was the other video that made me leave the house around rush hour to go buy one at Mesa Hollywood...grin

Looks like the Otto butt in the GAS line ahead of the Brothers... haha.

The designer posted on another site that between the sequencer and sequencer mult, you can get into audio rate (entering ringmod territory). Here's his quote:
Quote:
The tempo range is very wide, 23.4 BPM to 6000 BPM. This lets you put the Sequencer in the audio band to allow for ring mod effects. You can even get the Sequencer running at speeds of up to 768000 BPM by setting the “Sequencer Mult” control to 128x.
smetak
dkcg wrote:
smetak wrote:

Looks like the Otto butt in the GAS line ahead of the Brothers... haha.

Hehehehe - it did!

And I'm already in line for a Brothers, buying it directly from Joel Korte - had promised myself that, aside from the latest by Chase Bliss, I wasn't going to buy any gear for the near future....then, you posted this completely insane effect! Resisting the temptation was beyond me.....I confess!
scrumbo mcgrumbo
Meris got back to me about questions I had. First the unit is true stereo when using the TRS input, except the signal is summed to mono when using stutter and pitch sequencing. Also, the filter is DSP not analog.
dadek
second video did me in too.

mine'll be here Monday... Dead Banana
NoLegs
Had a little fun last night with the Ottobit and Moog DFAM + Mother-32.

Technologear?
NoLegs wrote:
Had a little fun last night with the Ottobit and Moog DFAM + Mother-32.

Freaking loved that, thank you for sharing. Great audio quality too. GASing now...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1