MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modor NF-1M
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Modor NF-1M
MATSmile

I think my search for polysynth is finally over. Such a compact lovely device and beautiful-beautiful sound!
donato
I feel the same. It sounds brilliant.
Unborn Gore
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMrCi0g3P_/
Trigga
It's a great synth! But the original feels better due to its wealth of controllers.
dopefiend
Unborn Gore wrote:

Is that you in the pic?
How do you think this guy compares to, say, a Virus B or C, sound-wise?
hmmm.....
Unborn Gore
dopefiend wrote:
Unborn Gore wrote:

Is that you in the pic?
hmmm.....

That's some blogger woman who attended superbooth and bought the og NF-1. It's a huge desktop synth, I really love the smaller footprint of the new one.
MATSmile
Hahaha, you people lol
It's Nina Kravitz. Know your acid heroes.
olix
A really interesting little box with .. new sounds (at last) applause
CopperHydra
Hodor.
Unborn Gore
MATSmile wrote:
Hahaha, you people lol

*shrug, all my heros play doom and industrial.
Grimulkan
Made a Lemur template for this if anyone is interested: https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/707

Edit: For updates, please download the latest version directly from Lemur User Library. There were many bug fixes.

Some features:

• Syncing of ALL parameters via SysEx and/or MIDI CC
  • Patch/bank changing & auto syncing of all parameters - a great way to browse presets!
  • Visual envelopes - makes editing the 4-stage envelopes much easier (there are 7 parameters PER envelope + looping)
  • All parameters, except the mod-matrix, are on the first page
  • Additional parameters (FX, formant frequencies) are accessed on floating, movable "windows"
  • Drop-down menus for all "list" parameters - no need to scroll through them one-by-one
  • Performance controls galore (joystick, XY pad, transposable keyboard, sliders)!
  • Unfortunately, not all parameters have a MIDI CC implementation. For SysEx-only parameters, any changes on the editor are automatically synced up with the device, but the device itself will not push any changes made on it back to the editor. To enable full auto-sync via SysEx, there is a toggleable "Get" button (RED=enabled), which requests a patch update from the device every second. You shouldn't need to enable this in most cases.

Screenshot (click for more):
dc_Sux
Unborn Gore wrote:
dopefiend wrote:
Unborn Gore wrote:

Is that you in the pic?
hmmm.....

That's some blogger woman who attended superbooth and bought the og NF-1. It's a huge desktop synth, I really love the smaller footprint of the new one.

d'oh! some blogger woman.
To be fair though, if it had been some hero of doom/industrial I'd have probably had no idea so...

Think this little guy is next on my purchase list!
DiscoDevil
Just got one last week. Interface leaves me kind of "meh" but it's certainly better than some. The sound is excellent. It sounds similar to Waldorf to my ears and fits really well in the mix. The variety of sounds it can make is really beyond anything I've owned up to this point. I've been using it mostly for pads, strings and ethereal, evolving stuff but it does EVERYTHING. Really an excellent buy. Quality build.
Grimulkan
Double post
Grimulkan
dc_Sux wrote:
d'oh! some blogger woman.

Nina Kraviz!

DiscoDevil wrote:
Just got one last week. Interface leaves me kind of "meh" but it's certainly better than some.

I find the interface very confusing because the LCD parameter locations don't directly map to the knob positions spatially. Maybe I'm just thinking of it wrong. Was much easier on the SQ-80 for example, and they had just one encoder.

But that's why I made the Lemur interface in the first place. I had it on a month-long trip and it really opened the synth up for me!
DiscoDevil wrote:
The sound is excellent. It sounds similar to Waldorf to my ears and fits really well in the mix. The variety of sounds it can make is really beyond anything I've owned up to this point. I've been using it mostly for pads, strings and ethereal, evolving stuff but it does EVERYTHING. Really an excellent buy. Quality build.

I think it sounds similar to your Waldorf too (which is now mine twisted)! Seriously digging the NF-1m (well, both). Ticks all my checkboxes for being charming & digital.
oldgearguy
Grimulkan wrote:

DiscoDevil wrote:
Just got one last week. Interface leaves me kind of "meh" but it's certainly better than some.

I find the interface very confusing because the LCD parameter locations don't directly map to the knob positions spatially. Maybe I'm just thinking of it wrong. Was much easier on the SQ-80 for example, and they had just one encoder.

Seriously digging the NF-1m (well, both). Ticks all my checkboxes for being charming & digital.

That's one reason I opted for the NF-1 -- the interface makes it really quick to get around and create sounds. Most of the time I just start with the init patch, edit away to get something I like, then save it off.

The NF-1 is a real sleeper synth, especially for folks looking for hardware that is different from the usual subtractive analog sound.

BTW - having developed some templates for the Lemur, I applaud the effort it took to get this one up and running. Having a synth that responds well to CCs helps, but it's still a ton of effort to get around the quirks of the Lemur interface and produce something nice and clean and solid.
calaveras
Unborn Gore wrote:
MATSmile wrote:
Hahaha, you people lol

*shrug, all my heros play doom and industrial.

You and me both!
Grimulkan
oldgearguy wrote:
That's one reason I opted for the NF-1 -- the interface makes it really quick to get around and create sounds. Most of the time I just start with the init patch, edit away to get something I like, then save it off.

I was able to recover some of that workflow with the Lemur template. They could have done a bit better on the NF-1m UI IMO, the knobs are all there!

I think you mentioned SNR problems on the NF-1 at some point? I haven't done an objective measurement on the NF-1m but maybe we can compare. No obviously apparent noise, at least nothing I'd consider unpleasant.
oldgearguy wrote:
BTW - having developed some templates for the Lemur, I applaud the effort it took to get this one up and running. Having a synth that responds well to CCs helps, but it's still a ton of effort to get around the quirks of the Lemur interface and produce something nice and clean and solid.

Thanks. But ugh! Lemur. I seriously wonder if a native iOS app would've been a better idea. But I had to throw something together before my trip so Lemur was it...

BTW, if it were only CC it would have been a lot easier, but a number of parameters are only accessed via full SysEx dumps. This messes with the native bi-directional sync engine in Lemur, so in the end I did everything with custom scripts. You'd think the UI elements at least wouldn't do stupid things, but they do! Compromises... /end Lemur rant
DiscoDevil
This may seem ridiculous but I am considering picking up the NF-1 for the studio and then dumping the patches in to the NF-1m for live use.
Grimulkan
DiscoDevil wrote:
This may seem ridiculous but I am considering picking up the NF-1 for the studio and then dumping the patches in to the NF-1m for live use.

I can totally see that. I use a BCR2000 for programming in the studio, but it doesn't have the same layout & display system.

BTW, not sure if the new update for the NF-1 has dropped yet, but you may need it for full patch compatibility. I can't drop NF-1 patches onto my NF-1m on the original OS, for example.
DiscoDevil
Grimulkan wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

I can totally see that. I use a BCR2000 for programming in the studio, but it doesn't have the same layout & display system.

BTW, not sure if the new update for the NF-1 has dropped yet, but you may need it for full patch compatibility. I can't drop NF-1 patches onto my NF-1m on the original OS, for example.

If I create them on the NF-1, the NF-1m should be able to load them as long as you use DIN instead of USB. It doesn't work in the reverse yet.
Grimulkan
DiscoDevil wrote:
If I create them on the NF-1, the NF-1m should be able to load them as long as you use DIN instead of USB. It doesn't work in the reverse yet.

I see. That makes sense. I think it is mainly the 64-byte USB MIDI packet limit that is different (which the NF-1 maybe doesn't understand yet).
oldgearguy
DiscoDevil wrote:

The NF-1 layout is a breeze to use and quick to edit stuff. The only limit is the overall footprint. If you can fit the format in, it's great.

(I never screwed any sides or rack ears on it).
scottmoon
I was wondering how this sounds compared to a Waldorf Blofeld?
DiscoDevil
I don't have a Blofeld to compare but it has similar qualities to the Microwave 1 I sold recently. The filter is obviously different but the standard waveforms are similar sounding to my ears.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4