Performers; Do you keep songs, or is it always something new

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, anthonybisset

r3x
Wiggling with Experience

Performers; Do you keep songs, or is it always something new

Post by r3x » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:44 pm

I was wondering about this.

I assume that once you do something its there while the cables are in, and once you begin something new, its gone and wont ever come back.

Then i thought a bit about it, and realised that if you had X chords, Y bass line, and Z way of drums = you have a tune that you could reproduce, just like any other "band" - albeit the sounds might not be the exact same, then if you knew what each of those were close by ( sine for bass, or sine + triangle ) etc, youd again get pretty damn close.

So .. whats the story? Ive been watching some Colin benders, and apart from being really good, i just kept wondering "oh shit thats good, so.. is he going to unplug and never do that particular tune again???" ..

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:47 pm

I start completely unpatched. Improvise. Whatever I do is never happening again. It is a moment in time then it is done.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

r3x
Wiggling with Experience

Post by r3x » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm

I kinda get that, and parts of me hate it, and parts of me thinks it will be just right.

What i am wondering though is for those that perform live ( i dont know if you do ) - you know, i can see it working for people that play at home, or jam with it - but for those performing, where people might "follow" them, i recon they might have "oh this tune is so good, i wanna hear it again" - or is it just the artist they want to hear, and whatever he comes up with this time?

Its fascinating to me :D

r3x
Wiggling with Experience

Post by r3x » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Ok so.. im watching some more of Colin Benders videos, and it suddenly occurs to me, that in his 3 hour long videos, he plays something and then suddenly he says:

"So yeah this is what im working on.. now lets try this, this is the mix you remember from last week", and he begins playing something else.

While hes doing that i noticed that the tune changed melody, without him touching anything - were not talking just going through steps, it played the same melody for say a minute, and then suddenly, like on cue, it went down and played a diff melody.

So whats going on here? What am i missing? How is he able to play back tunes he made before, on the same gear ?

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm

I pretty much exclusively play live. If you are going to "follow" me, then you are going to know that what I do is improvised. I play. It's done. That's it. Next.

I don't know who Colin Bender is, Don't know what he has. Could be multiple sequences and voltage controlled switches or sequential switches, could be MIDI, could be a CV sequencer with memory. Don't know, but there are multiple ways to do it.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure it's related to his OD ER 101/102. He has preprogrammed sequences that he's dropping in. Also, despite patching from scratch a lot of times he uses the same or similar "voices" like his Macbeth oscillator into filter. But you could always drop him a line on his channel and ask.

r3x
Wiggling with Experience

Post by r3x » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 am

Ah ok i see - the od er 101/102 looks like it makes sense, however it still doesnt explain how he talks about "Yeah this is now, and lets continue on what we did last week" i mean.. how the f.....

I have this image in my head, that once youre done with a patch, you rip out all the cables, and start over - but he seems to do 3-4 hour marathon things, where he rarely yanks out a cable, but plays 5 different tunes..

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”