MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Delia Derbyshire
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Delia Derbyshire
Muff Wiggler
wtf, it's like Massive Attack but 30 years earlier.

talk about ahead of your time, shit

felix
Yeah isn't that awesome! I can't remember where I first read about these old recordings recently "found" (matrixsynth or somewhere) but I was completely blown away. Really cool!
apemandan
She was amazing! I'm a big fan..

Check out the newly discovered 'dance' tune, scroll halfway down the page..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7512072.stm

we're not worthy
futuresoundsystems
The White Noise album is awesome.
sandyb
Delia was cool!
also check out the work of Daphne Oram - one of the founders of the Radiophonic Workshop.
http://daphneoram.org/

sandy
wetterberg
I'll bite:

[ali G]I definitely would[/Ali G]
e-grad
sandyb wrote:
check out the work of Daphne Oram

Here's a link with some samples of Daphne's work:
http://www.stalk.net/paradigm/pd21.html

Sandy, you've got the Parmegiani box on order and value Daphne Oram as well. Great!
sandyb
e-grad wrote:
sandyb wrote:
check out the work of Daphne Oram

Here's a link with some samples of Daphne's work:
http://www.stalk.net/paradigm/pd21.html

Sandy, you've got the Parmegiani box on order and value Daphne Oram as well. Great!

yup - i've got the "Oramics" cd which i really like. i've been getting very into early electronic music over the last year or two.
e-grad
Yes, I think there's a lot early electronic music to discover, i.e. "Music of the Future" by Desmond Leslie or "Et Glasperlespil" by Else Marie Pade (Denmark) both from the 1950s.

Here's a link to a site dedicated to Else Marie:

http://www.technodotdk.dk/else.php

By now there are two CDs released with her work: "Et Glasperlespil" and "Face It!"

Talking on Delia there two rather recent releases which are albeit out of print:

A full album named "Electrosonic" and a quadruble 10" on Rephlex called "Music from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop". The Replex release includes one full 10" of Delias' work. Both show up rather frequently in the bay.
wetterberg
Yeah, Else Marie Pade is awesome - she was really considered a freak at the time, but is now rapidly approaching folk hero status in electronica circles here in Denmark.

Her electronic works were released as art scores recently - beautiful. She still gives talks about her work and her weird world.
e-grad
By now there's a book on her, alas, in Danish which I cannot read unfortunately. sad

"Et Glasperlespil" is definately one of my all time classics. Not the single composition "Glasperlespil" but the whole outstanding cd release!
wetterberg
e-grad wrote:
By now there's a book on her, alas, in Danish which I cannot read unfortunately. sad
that is really too bad - I was certain it had been translated or something - they were selling them at ICMC (I think)
e-grad
wetterberg wrote:
they were selling them at ICMC (I think)

Do you have a link?
wetterberg
e-grad wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
they were selling them at ICMC (I think)

Do you have a link?
sorry, no :( Did you know she was active in the resistance? Yes, *the* resistance, fightin germans. Wild.
e-grad
She was even arrested by the Gestapo and deported to Froslev. Fortunately the Gestapo documents on her and her resistance group burnt back then in Arhus otherwise she probably would not have survived.
wetterberg
you're right. Thankfully a great number of Danes got off easy - and i can only imagine the creative inspiration her generation has drawn from those times.
wetterberg
on a different note; the first video showed the Putney - it's amazing how part of the BBC labs left when proper synths came around because things "just became too easy" we're not worthy
e-grad
wetterberg wrote:
it's amazing how part of the BBC labs left when proper synths came around because things "just became too easy" we're not worthy

I don't know to whom you're refering. At least none of those members of the workshop I know left for this reason.

Daphne Oram left bcs. she was disappointed that the workshop never was a studio for electronic music as in Cologne or Paris but was in any respect subordniated to the drama department of the BBC. Also she was unhappy that the workshop was always rather bad equipped. Even though after she had departed some legendary EMS stuff was acquired most of the workshop's equipment was scrapped by other departments of the BBC. She left to build her own studio (Folly Tower) and to concentrate on the development of her own opto-electronical instrument - the legandary Oramics.

Delia Derbyshire left bcs. she became unhappy to create incidential music for the radio.

Maddalena Fagandini left with the arrival of the first EMS synth bcs. she has felt not comfortable with the new technology. Speaking on her: As Ray Cathode she did an incredible 7" "Time Beat"/Waltz in the Orbit" which is every now and then in the *bay.

I've to admitt that I have no idea who else left the workshop for what reason. So others might have left for the reason mentioned.
Bricks
in my list of new posts, "Delia Derbyshire" registered right about "Sex Face - NSFW ?"

and I got excited at the juxtaposition love
wetterberg
e-grad wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
it's amazing how part of the BBC labs left when proper synths came around because things "just became too easy" we're not worthy

I don't know to whom you're refering. At least none of those members of the workshop I know left for this reason.
I've to admitt that I have no idea who else left the workshop for what reason. So others might have left for the reason mentioned.
I'm paraphrasing some biographical articles I've read over the years. I'll see if I can find teh sauce.
tokyocat
deleted
e-grad
Yes, also keep in mind Else Marie Pade and Bebe Barron. The Barrons did way more than the soundtrack Forbidden Planet and cutting the Williams Mix for Cage.

Interestingly non of those women (incl. those at the BBC) had access to an offical studio dedicated to electronic music. At the INA GRM (Paris) and the NWDR (Cologne) were to my best knowledge exclusively men.[1]

The only exception was Else Marie who were able to work on her composition next to incidental music at the Danish Radio. However, as Wittenberg said, she had a hard stand there.

[1] Also in the 1950s there was a studio for electronic music in Italy at the Radio Audizioni Italiane. Unfortunately I've no information on their work.
sandyb
i think i have a cd or two by people from RAI - i'll dig them out and see if there's any information.

i'm sure some of you have heard these already but there was a very good series of radio programmes on early electronic music last year that came out on Resonance 104 FM called The Tone Generation. each programme is 1/2 hour long and covers a different country or geographical area. there's some interesting music in them. they're available to download here:

http://www.simonsound.co.uk/sound

sandy
Morley
Fabulous musician and oddly sexy, but that´s another matter.
All the radiophonic stuff is interesting. If you haven´t seen the Radiophonic program from the BBC "alchemists of sound" do so.
Another women worth checking out is Eliane Radigue. Some pretty cool drone stuff done on Tape and ARP 2500.
e-grad
Thanks for the link, sandy.

Yes, "Alchmists of Sound" is great. Just have to think about Maddalena when she's "accussed" of being responsible for Ray Cathode.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3