MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

gimme that bass sound?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author gimme that bass sound?
DonKartofflo

love the kinda dubby, very heavy and messy bass in this song.
Im pretty sure the basis is an actual electric bass and i got that covered.
What im struggling with is the kinda chorusy fluctuations and the heaviness/dirt he achieves...
Anybody here from a dub production background can share some info on how to really nail this? Thanks in advance!

Don
Sburkart
With my gear I would try a semi-hollow short scale bass strung with flatwounds, thru a tube pre if needed, and some reverb OR omni mic a cab in the living room.

That's where' I'd start anyway. The "dirt and chorusy fluctuations" may be something you add in the mix, but what you are hearing could be an artifact of the bassline mixing with other elements, etc.

The effect on the bass track starting around the 2:12 mark of the video ("tomorrow....tomorrow comes to play<?>") does sound like volume automation. It's very quick, not distorted, I kinda like that myself, I might try drawing that in my DAW and see how works. Gorillaz!

As always, my $.02
DonKartofflo
Thanks a lot for the great tips! Bit of a noob myself when it comes to recording/mangling acoustic instruments so this advice is greatly appreciated.
About the volume automation bit, do you mean you draw up very quick spikes for the track volume automation? If yes, how quick? Also something that could be patched with a vca and some looping envelope or lfo...

Cheers
Don
Sburkart
Yes, drawing in the automation is what I meant, and how many points would depend on how long the note is, right? I have yet to try this, the effect at that spot is almost like a tuned fan so it's going to be a LOT of automation points, more than I would really want to do, but it is pretty cool. It may be more easily accomplished in something like Ableton or something...

Anyway, I could be totally wrong about this, but one of us should try it- so I nominate my nephew. He's due to come mow the lawn, maybe I'll just have him draw in all those points and I'll go mow the lawn!

You are welcome for the free advice, but it may be worth no more than you paid for it, so buyer beware. lol
Michael O.
This album got me into dub and electronic production as a kid, full of timeless productions and tunes.

I assume this bass sound is bass guitar, maybe through something like a dbx subharmonic synthesizer, into a compressor that's set for extreme, very non-transparent compression. That's what produces that characteristic pumping sound. It's entirely possible the bass sound is going through reverb or a bbd effect prior to the heavy compression that helps lend that cavernous feel. Finally, the whole thing is darkened by a lowpass filter, dub-stylee.
DonKartofflo
Sburkart wrote:

Anyway, I could be totally wrong about this, but one of us should try it- so I nominate my nephew. He's due to come mow the lawn, maybe I'll just have him draw in all those points and I'll go mow the lawn!

You are welcome for the free advice, but it may be worth no more than you paid for it, so buyer beware. lol

Since ill have no nephew as of yet to draw automation curves for me ill give it a try tonight with m bass guitar thumbs up

And thanks Michael O. for the good advice, th bbd and compressor thing seems very plausible. Cheers!
mrflannery
My approach to that would be to play a bass through any amp, but keep it smooth sounding and eq'd close to the sound you're going for. Once in the DAW run it through a low pass filter with the cut pretty low. Sounds like 400HZ or so?
All of the other sounds you are hearing are in the mix and not attached to the bass. If you listen only to the section where it is soloed it actually sounds pretty dry. Then use heavy compression being carfeful that your attack is super fast and your relase is slow. Somehow they've managed to get rid of any attack that bass might have once had, so you don't want to bring out attack in your processing. I think any distorion you're hearing is probably coming from an overdriven tube compressor.
Curious if you can reproduce it! Please post if you do!
dogoftears
a lot of the power of this bass is about the swing if you ask me.
Sburkart
hihi Clearly there are at least few ways to get the main sound. I agree with the second reply that there is compression, I've never tracked bass without it. I don't hear the pumping (like a slammed 1176) but it could be I just can't hear it.

I think the volume automation I suggested for the one effect is too tedious (unless your jerking a nephew around), as you could probably slip in a synth for that one short section and no one would notice. Also I would think something like Ableton would easily do this and a bunch of other crap too.
Freakin' kids got it too easy...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1