MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sunn Worship [Sunn O))) Synth Tribute]]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Sunn Worship [Sunn O))) Synth Tribute]]
coyotedad23
Who says that synths can't be heavy. This is my very humble tribute to Sunn O))).
Sound architecture was created with Eowave Persephone --> Strymon Mobius --> Elektron Heat --> Eventide Space. The Elektron Heat was being modulated by Eurorack Benjolin.
Hope you enjoy and thank you for listening.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/320097438" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
abandonist
Dig it, I've been working on a "Sunn" patch for the Prophet 6.
jwhtn
Man, I hope nobody said synths can't be heavy. That would screw with my whole worldview.

This is great, btw. Exactly the kind of thing I want to hear.
abandonist
Think I managed to get that Sunn guitar sound pretty close on the Prophet.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/user-168320014/gwetia[/s]
coyotedad23
abandonist
Sounds awesome, bet it was incredible on a PA system.

jwhtn
Thanks for the kind comment
abandonist
Thanks! It's actually just an iPhone recording in our practice room at my house. I'd love to really shake some bones at a show with that set.
jwhtn
Quote:
that Sunn guitar sound

Holy shit, this is awesome. Is this run through a proper old Model T? Definitely has that gurgling power amp meltdown sound.
coyotedad23
jwhtn wrote:
Quote:
that Sunn guitar sound

Holy shit, this is awesome. Is this run through a proper old Model T? Definitely has that gurgling power amp meltdown sound.

Thank you for your kind words. And how I wish I had a Model-T to run synths through.

The distortion was achieved with Analog Heat which was being modulated by Benjolin. I also used Black Cat Fuzz eurorack x 2 and the awesome Strakal Brulu.
strat_barrett
Great stuff, I saw Sunn O))) in Salford, the promoter had taped up all the windows inside like it was the blitz, mind warping gig, I've been meaning to experiment putting my modular thru a pair, or maybe 4 guitar amps, this has reminded me to get on with it
felixer
there are plenty of 'digital simulations' of guitar amps around (i'm using a digitech rp360 and quite happy with it). i would investigate that before getting into a conflict with the neighbours Mr. Green
i play guitar and even a humble 15W amp is quite loud (that is if you turn it up to get that nice powerampdistortion). just sold a nice 50W fender amp as it was simply too much ... and the guy who got it is now searching for a way to make it less loud.
coyotedad23
I have always lived in apartments therefore created noise within the confines of headphones. Which is not always bad yet I often dream of unleashing synth noise on tube amps and tower stacks.
After seeing Sunn O))) live, I long for the next opportunity to have my bones rattled by their masterful drone.
felixer
yeah, there is something about playing loud. rock 'n roll is a fysical thing. the downside side is that you get tired easily, so you can't do as many houres as with a moderate level.
eeling
far out, both tracks in this thread sound great.
Hougaard
Did this track some years ago with the Sunn O))) sound in mind.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/crhougaard/space-program[/s]
southphillysynths
Awesome Tracks everyone!! I saw SUNN 0))) a few months ago and it was an absolutely inspiring show.

These sounds are getting pretty close! Gotta Mod a RATT pedal to get there though hihi

I love modular and synths for drone, even noise boxes sound great through giant tube amps! I know live they use a rhodes and a moog micromoog I think? Funnily enough it gets lots in the mix, the guitars are definitely the loudest part!!

I am a guitar player to begin with so I really should tune down to B and give it a go one day...

Rockin' Banana!
fivepawnopaw
jwhtn wrote:
Man, I hope nobody said synths can't be heavy. That would screw with my whole worldview.

This is great, btw. Exactly the kind of thing I want to hear.

I have played both synths and guitar since I was 12 (i'm 33) and I'm just now understanding that I should run my modular through my pedal board of old 70s fuzz pedals through my guitar tube amps. d'oh!

To be fair, synths for me was more of a background layering. But yeah, through quality pedals and equipment has been eye opening for me. I've been re-amping stuff too (live recorded drums through pedals) and some interesting heaviness comes out of it! Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1