Blinky Light Madness. a.k.a. The kind of mess I like to see.

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: ignatius, Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Kent
Large Member

Blinky Light Madness. a.k.a. The kind of mess I like to see.

Post by Kent » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:00 am

Finally had some time to patch stuff together and make some gottdamn noise after getting back from visiting 5 countries in September. Naturally, I contracted a wonderful cold in Krakow, right at the end. Stayed in bed for a couple o' days & puttered about with the modular rig. Some silly shizzle posted here for posterity.

Brought to you courtesy of all the fine crap that you see here: Image

List of items used:

Malgorithm (first Nyquist sweep heard in the file)
Tyme Sefari
Binary Zone
A few Splitters (Blacet & Analogue Solutions)
Alesis Bitrman (works great in a modular system as the bypass responds to gates) I'll probably further mod it for more CV control
Vostok LFOs, 8-step sequencer, MIDI to CV, & Mixer
What was once sandyb's A-143-2 Quad ADSR which now only makes me want to buy more VCAs
Moog MuRF
Model 28 Tap Clock
Korg EMX-1
The French equivalent to Robitussen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Very cool. Not enough Vostok samples out there. I love how they sound. How versatile is it? I'd love to hear any other tracks you have featuring it.
Is that a Tyme Sefari "brushed snare"?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks. All of the Vostok samples that I had up here were accidentally deleted along with 700 billion U.S. dollars. I believe they were sent to overseas investors about the globe.

I've been hemming and hawing about diving into some proper patches & songs since I've got a three-tiered keyboard stand on order & a new workstation that were supposed to show up this week. It is a major PITA to work with more than what is seen in that photo. Das Room of Röck is a total clusterfuck right now. I'll see if I can scrounge up the original files somewhere.
It's a pretty complete little box. It excels at the rawer side of things; raw as in 'nasty'. You can tame things a bit by filtering them. There are no sine waves on board. The MS-20 clone-ish filter distorts really nicely when pushed. The matrix is buffered. It is a buffered 22x22 mult/split. That's 484 points for those keeping track of such things. You can even play the patch matrix by pulling patch pins (un)rhythmically. There's even an external patch-point (1/4" or 1/8") to the outside world for bringing anything into or out of the matrix points. VERY good idea and I use this often. Being buffered, unlike the Synthis, is huge.
Even with the 484 points on the matrix, there are still 1/8th inch jacks for accessing things that are & aren't on the matrix. The matrix really helps in keeping things clear & tidy, although you don't even have to use it at all.

I've yet to utilize every aspect of this fine creation though and please keep in mind that I'm just getting started into all of this modular madness as of May of 2008.

Yup, the Tyme Sefari does all of that "brushed snare" backwards stuff. It is being triggered to play by the ADSR which is triggered by a Vostok LFO.
Last edited by Kent on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:54 am

Yup, the Tyme Sefari does all of that "brushed snare" backwards stuff. It is being triggered to play by the ADSR which is triggered by a Vostok LFO.
Fucking awsome :sb:
were accidentally deleted along with 700 billion U.S. dollars.
:?:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:47 am

Yeah,... I'm quite the jokester.

In reality, all of my previous sound files were deleted from our beloved Muffserver. Damn shame, tant pis, and all that. I'll get some more noise up in the next couple of weeks though.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Kent wrote:There's even an external patch-point (1/4" or 1/8") to the outside world for bringing anything into or out of the matrix points. VERY good idea and I use this often. Being buffered, unlike the Synthis, is huge.
Even with the 484 points on the matrix, there are still 1/8th inch jacks for accessing things that are & aren't on the matrix.
Wow, I like that external patch point feature a lot! That sounds very cool to have. Can the Vostok sound nice and smooth at all? I've only heard aggressive, and very distinct sound samples from it. Can it do a good Synthi impression? :)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Sounds great! :domodance:

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:43 pm

Nice! I like the raw, live sound and the groove, especially the end, is awesome.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Kent wrote:I've been hemming and hawing about diving into some proper patches & songs since I've got a three-tiered keyboard stand on order & a new workstation that were supposed to show up this week. It is a major PITA to work with more than what is seen in that photo. Das Room of Röck is a total clusterfuck right now.
Well I'm sending some powerful decorator-karma-vibes in your direction this week; here's hoping we'll hear some new samples soon - you got a french connection, I believe?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:45 pm

dkcg wrote: Can the Vostok sound nice and smooth at all? I've only heard aggressive, and very distinct sound samples from it. Can it do a good Synthi impression? :)
It doesn't sound anything even remotely close to a Synthi. The resemblance is quite superficial actually: it comes in a case with a handle, has a matrix (yet, a bigger one), a joystick & a meter. That's about where the similarities end.
The circuits aren't even an attempt to be like an EMS synth. The Filter is pretty much an MS-20 clone and distorts REALLY nicely when pushed.

The reason that one may only have heard aggressive sounding demos of the Vostok is that they fall so easily out of this synth. You can get it tamed down a bit by using a filter or watching your gain-staging & keeping away from the square waves.
Only the 1st oscillator has a triangle wave. Check out the attached photo in order to see the other 2 Oscillators. You gotta love that each of these has Octave Down outputs that go down to 3 Octaves below the osc. That's 4 Octaves of Square Wave luvvin per osc! Makes my colon more active than: :coffee:

Honestly, you can get the Vostok to be anything that you want it to be. It is a collection of modules (most are sold independently of the Vostok as well) and they all integrate nicely into any system. I can see it as not being a front-line contender for someone with a pretty well-stocked synth set-up; but for someone (like myself) that was just diving in, it was an excellent choice as it has so much to offer & is easy to build upon. I've added a Blacet rig & more than one Doepfer G6 case of stuff to it; and with ease as well. The Vostok has an 8 input jack mixer plus the 22 Mixer Inputs on the matrix.
With that said, it would be a great addition for anyone's existing and well-fleshed-out rig as it has character and a shitload of great and useful features. Tom Carpenter thought it out really well.
I suspected that I would miss the Wavetable osc. from the Mk 1 version... but then I got the Mini-Wave! :sb:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:58 pm

wetterberg wrote:Well I'm sending some powerful decorator-karma-vibes in your direction this week; here's hoping we'll hear some new samples soon - you got a french connection, I believe?
Yup, and I'm itching to hook that up with the Model 23 ASR. Should be mental.
I hope that stand shows up in the next couple of days. I literally have to place the French Connection on my lap in order to use it and that mofo is heavy.

Kent
Large Member

Link to freshly posted (and my first) unholy union

Post by Kent » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 am

Unholy union of Vostok and French Connection

viewtopic.php?p=22199#22199

Return to “Your Tunes Here”