MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Record modules (4ms / Alyseum) comparison
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Record modules (4ms / Alyseum) comparison
lionelfischer
both the new record modules look awesome. what are the differences between them?
hawkfuzz
The Alyseum seems to be more for playback and the 4ms is more of sample manipulation...from what I can tell.

Does anyone even have these yet?
Paranormal Patroler
From what I can remember:

- No track selection on the 4ms VS Track selection on the Alyseum
- Dan said he might pump the fidelity higher, but I need to verify.
- More types of audio on the Alyseum VS .WAV on 4ms
- Both 6HP, both stereo, both use SD cards
- More LEDs for levels on the Alyseum
- Knobs for levels on 4ms VS buttons on Alyseum
- 4ms seems to only have CV control over Record (I'm not sure if flipping the switch to playback means the trigger input works on that as well, but it's 4ms so it's probably the case) VS independent external control over Play, Record & Pause on the Alyseum

Neither of the modules can do manipulation of samples. They are for recording purposes. The Alyseum can also be used for playback purposes by comparison.
hawkfuzz
Oooo, I've not seen this 4ms. I thought OP was referencing the STS.
Paranormal Patroler
No man, STS is killer! It's aimed to scramble your samples and do crazy stuff hihi The Alyseum and the 4ms modules the OP is referring to are just 6HP and are designed to record your live/studio set with ease.

It's a lovely premise and one I think was lacking in Eurorack.
Dcramer
What's the difference in price?
Can the 4MS record more than one file per card?
hmmm.....
Paranormal Patroler
Dcramer wrote:
What's the difference in price?
Can the 4MS record more than one file per card?
hmmm.....


I'll refrain from commenting on price, I think 4ms hasn't announced a price yet (I might be wrong, but you'd need to check the SB2017 videos for that) although I do remember how much Dan told me. As far as the 4MS recording options, yeah, I remember that you can have a lot of recordings on the same card. Whenever you start recording again it's making a new file for you. You can grab the SD card afterwards and get your audio files; just no way of addressing the files from the module from what I remember. It's moving to the next file whenever you make a recording, and you can just listen to your last recording.

The Alyseum Record is 165 euro, based on their site.
lionelfischer
if theres any format that can record metadata, it would be so dope to have a "marker" button on a module like this. for those 6 hour long exploration sessions, going back later etc.
windspirit
Kinda wish there were more options that can do multitrack and not just stereo. Obviously I can have a separate multi track recorder but that defeats the purpose of having it in the rack. As far as I know the only options is the ER-301 but obviously you need to sacrifice some of the sample playback to do this and it is currently way outside of my budget.
akrylik
windspirit wrote:
Kinda wish there were more options that can do multitrack and not just stereo. Obviously I can have a separate multi track recorder but that defeats the purpose of having it in the rack. As far as I know the only options is the ER-301 but obviously you need to sacrifice some of the sample playback to do this and it is currently way outside of my budget.


You do not need to sacrifice *any* of the sample playback actually. The 6-track recorder on the ER-301 sits in the background while you do your other stuff.
Paranormal Patroler
windspirit wrote:
Kinda wish there were more options that can do multitrack and not just stereo. Obviously I can have a separate multi track recorder but that defeats the purpose of having it in the rack. As far as I know the only options is the ER-301 but obviously you need to sacrifice some of the sample playback to do this and it is currently way outside of my budget.


I don't see why you can't buy more than one module in that case. 6HP at around 150 - 200€ is not that much if it serves the purpose and with CV for record/playback you can easily sync the recording.

I prefer quad myself but the again I can see why these are stereo, most people play stereo live if not mono in some venues. They are small modules after all so functionality/hp is good.
Jaypee
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
you can easily sync the recording.


How?
I don't see anything like clock/sync on Alyseum Record or do you mean sync the modules?

Recording everything without any computer, then put the sd card in to my daw for editing...hard to do without sync function. Dead Banana

Or at least I hope we can chain several modules, hit record on ONE module to trigger them all Rockin' Banana!
Paranormal Patroler
Jaypee wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
you can easily sync the recording.


How?
I don't see anything like clock/sync on Alyseum Record or do you mean sync the modules?

Recording everything without any computer, then put the sd card in to my daw for editing...hard to do without sync function. Dead Banana


Would you expect a zoom recorder to have a clock input? These are not sampling modules; still, both modules have a gate input for recording so you can fire two or more at the same time; which means you'll have recording of equal length. I don't see how grabbing your audio files afterwards and aligning them on your computer will prove to be an issue. You did mention wanting to be able to record more than two channels at the same time, so I presume you'll be recording stuff simultaneously. If not, why do you need more than two tracks? If you want to record different tracks at different times just make sure you're using the same clock for all your takes, or worst case scenario, time-stretch stuff on your computer.
Anton
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
As far as the 4MS recording options, yeah, I remember that you can have a lot of recordings on the same card. Whenever you start recording again it's making a new file for you. You can grab the SD card afterwards and get your audio files; just no way of addressing the files from the module from what I remember. It's moving to the next file whenever you make a recording, and you can just listen to your last recording.

The Alyseum Record is 165 euro, based on their site.


Was immediately very excited for the 4MS. Sounds like it strikes perfect balance between simplicity and usefulness, would get one immediately if it was available.
Then again, I wasn't aware of Alyseum. It looks not bad at all – but this is also not availalable yet – or is it? Anyone tried it?
lionelfischer
does anyone wish these were DC coupled
Paranormal Patroler
lionelfischer wrote:
does anyone wish these were DC coupled


Most definitely! I'd love to have a 6HP CV recording module with that functionality.
pieter
Can you use these together with the radio music and/or the disting? It would be great if it would be as easy as swapping SD cards.
Paranormal Patroler
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
lionelfischer wrote:
does anyone wish these were DC coupled


Most definitely! I'd love to have a 6HP CV recording module with that functionality.


I never got a reply back from Alyseum on whether these can record CV. Any ideas anyone?
lionelfischer
i got a reply, its not dc coupled
polarni
The Alyseum Record seems to be available now on their site: https://www.alyseum.com/record.html

And I also saw it here: https://www.newgroove.it/vendita/alyseum-record/

Has anybody tried one? And does anybody know whether these will be available from more shops around the world at some point?
aswefallintostatic
Am probably missing something here, but am not finding any info on the 4ms module...?! anyone got any links / what it is called?

Cheers
aswefallintostatic
never mind, found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zheyh24mMHA

I guess you can also play back files from your computer as well?

I guess you could get a few and sync back playback for live performance if you wanted to combine live synthesis with things you made on the computer, but without having to bring the computer!
Foghorn
pieter wrote:
Can you use these together with the radio music and/or the disting? It would be great if it would be as easy as swapping SD cards.


Does anyone know if this is possible with the Radio Music?

Foghorn
pieter
Yeah, I still would really like to know the answer to that.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the cards from Alyseum are not playable in Radio Music. The latter requires .raw files, while Alyseum produces .wav, .ogg, and .mp3.
Foghorn
Well, I bought an Alyseum Record module last week.
I got an email saying it was shipped today.
I notice that the website now says "out of stock".
Hopefully after he shipped mine.

I will write about the RECORD when I get it and see how well it works.
I also want to see how useful it will be in conjunction with a computer.

It's a shame, my Tiptop ONE is 24 bit/96 kHz mono.
And the RECORD is 16 bit/48 kHz PCM Stereo .wav files

Foghorn
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group