MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Q107A SVF, a 1 MU version of the original Q107
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Q107A SVF, a 1 MU version of the original Q107
JohnLRice
http://www.synthesizers.com/q107a.html

coyoteous
Interesting…
gregae
Cool that Roger also offers a very inexpensive ($36.00) kit that converts a Q107 to a Q107A. The conversion kit includes the panel and new knobs. Nice! applause
ba1
I've been thinking of swapping out my Q107 for an Oakley SVF, but for $36 I can't see why I wouldn't go with the Q107A conversion kit. Looks sharp with the larger freq knob. Roger is "killing it" with his last four modules! I wonder if he plans to do the same for the Q150. I think I'd stick with the wide version. I use the built in mixer all the time.
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:

copying what Gert is doing with the 517 and 517S IMHO Mr. Green
spinach_pizza
this is a no-brainer for me. thumbs up
josaka
Mark11Audio wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Except the 517s is based on the obi xpander rather than the Sem filter..

love to see a good SEM copy filter shootout..

still never heard anything close to a real SEM voice in 5u yet..
Mark11Audio
josaka wrote:
Mark11Audio wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

I wasn't talking about the "type" of filter... I was talking about the "form factor" just as Roger is in his video... the fact that he makes a Q107 in 2U wide and now a compact version Q107A in 1U wide...

Same as Gert in a sense that the 517 is a 3U wide High/Low Pass dual filter as is the 517S, but in 1U format.
coyoteous
josaka: But, the Moon 505 is a SEM-style SVF, I think... if the 517/517S is Xpander/Matrix 12, that would be CEM 3372-type, as I recall.

Mark11Audio: And the the 517 has that lovely combinator.

I don't have an on-topic picture of Dave Arrick handy, so here's Gert FTW:

josaka
coyoteous wrote:
josaka: But, the Moon 505 is a SEM-style SVF, I think... if the 517/517S is Xpander/Matrix 12, that would be CEM 3372-type, as I recall.

yes he says "xpander filter" in one of the super booth videos(maybe both)
and as far as rodger copying gert .. I'm not so sure many people here want 1u filters and rodger frequents these pages so thats just as likely.. also there are oakley that offer 1 or 2u builds .. just seems like a logical step.

rodger.. did you copy gert? smile
spinach_pizza
What with box11's and such, and more people wanting skiff type portable systems, it's an obvious step to take if he (Roger) wants to sell more modules. He has already kind of done this to some extent with the LFO++.

Who cares if there's "copying". Show me any modular manufacturer who isn't copying something from someone, on some level.
Flareless
josaka wrote:
.... also there are oakley that offer 1 or 2u builds .. just seems like a logical step.

Oakley actually seems to encourage the building of their filters in the 1U Filter Core format. The 2U versions generally offer a built in mixing capability and a few more do-dads for voltage control and I/O but nothing most folks can't live without.

On my last builds, the Journeyman, I opted for the 1U build mainly because 1 module was going into my portable (replacing my Sea Devils) and space was a big consideration while the 2nd went to my big system.

I do prefer the Oakley DLF in 2U though as I often run a few inputs into it. It's probably my favourite filter at this time.

The Q107A is a pretty cool concept and the fact that a mod kit is available is a great idea for those with space constraints.
coyoteous
josaka wrote:
coyoteous wrote:

yes he says "xpander filter" in one of the super booth videos(maybe both)
and as far as rodger copying gert .. I'm not so sure many people here want 1u filters and rodger frequents these pages so thats just as likely.. also there are oakley that offer 1 or 2u builds .. just seems like a logical step.

rodger.. did you copy gert? smile

Not concerned about copying here either… I just like that picture of Gert! (plus, in this world imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery and great minds think alike… throw in reinventing the wheel, the very occasional original innovation, "borrowing" from electronotes' Bernie Hutchins and you've got a formula for success, such as that may be).

Interestingly, all my MU filters a single-width, with the exception of a COTK 904A and "soon to be on the way to me" Moon 506 (ladder with nice extra stuff and a VCA).

Back to the newer Moon filters from Mickey Moon on: all OB, then… strong move!

And finally back on topic: this re-paneling is a good move and fits well with Dave's other recent modules.
josaka
who's dave ..? smile
JohnLRice
josaka wrote:
who's dave ..? smile
coyoteous = Tom Holkenborg hmmm..... hihi
coyoteous
JohnLRice wrote:
josaka wrote:
who's dave ..? smile
coyoteous = Tom Holkenborg hmmm..... hihi

I wish.
coyoteous
josaka wrote:
who's dave ..? smile

Tom Holkenborg aka JunkieXL mistakenly shouted out Roger as David in that recent video about his 5U wall (left you cold as I recall).

There was mostly good natured ribbing about it on facebook, which I continued a little here.

Speaking of cold, I run that and hot with the few 5U related groups on FB (though Paul Krisp's are very good)... XL took some heat on the friends of synthesizers.com group with the most unPC statement being that his wall was to keep our friends from south of the border out... left a bad, yet jalapeño tinged, taste in my mouth.

Anyway, yeah... needless to say, I don't get out much.
Flareless
It's sort of like Roger got a fighter pilot nickname from Tom. Instead of Iceman or Maverick we've got Roger "Dave" Arrick cool

Let's kick the tires and light the fires!
josaka
can anyone do a SEM style SVF filter shootout..?
oakley/.com/moogah/moon 505 plus any I missed..

preferably with some kind of sequence these drone osc/noise sweep demos personally leave me with only an idea of the sound.. not too much to ask then smile

ba1
Mark11Audio wrote:
josaka wrote:
Mark11Audio wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

I wasn't talking about the "type" of filter... I was talking about the "form factor" just as Roger is in his video... the fact that he makes a Q107 in 2U wide and now a compact version Q107A in 1U wide...

Same as Gert in a sense that the 517 is a 3U wide High/Low Pass dual filter as is the 517S, but in 1U format.

It's strange to think that the guy who pretty much single handedly revived the MU format is copying anybody other than Bob Moog. (which I'd think we're all thankful for) The 517 is two filters and a coupler and 517s is just a single filter. Slimming the Q107 down to 1MU seems pretty different to me. Plus I'd assume that Roger had the Q107a in the works well before Moon released the 517s.
coyoteous
Flareless: Roger that!

ba1: What could possibly be strange here?

josaka: Not too much to ask, but I don't have any of those, just real vintage SEMs and an Analog Metropolis/synthcube Emu modular resonant filter in MOTM (killer SVF, also in MU)... not personally much for shootouts either, as I'm generally too lazy to do my own and/or just come away even more confused (I understand the theoretical benefit, though).
bwhittington
Looks cool!

My go-to trick on the Q107 is patching the Notch output back into the attenuated input, the two components that are eliminated in the 1U version, so this one won't be for me, but it will really help those who are after a dense portable system.

Though . . . maybe there is room on the panel for a 1p3t switch to patch that routing at two different resistances. That might be decent. Then another switch for the clipping mod. Would there be any room for fingers after that? It would be one heck of a 1U filter.
kindredlost
bwhittington wrote:
Looks cool!

My go-to trick on the Q107 is patching the Notch output back into the attenuated input, the two components that are eliminated in the 1U version, so this one won't be for me, but it will really help those who are after a dense portable system.

Though . . . maybe there is room on the panel for a 1p3t switch to patch that routing at two different resistances. That might be decent. Then another switch for the clipping mod. Would there be any room for fingers after that? It would be one heck of a 1U filter.

Good trick too. Slope feedback - FTW!
The Notch is one of the most unique aspects of the Q107 for me as well. It is easy enough to mix the HPF and LPF together to get a Notch but that is using a mixer.
Another thing I use on the Q107 quite a bit is the signal input mix. Having that is a spoiler for sure. The resonant overdrive mode is something I have used quite a bit when using the filter for percussive duties.
A big part of what makes the SEM come alive is the sweep through from LPF, Notch to HPF. Only the OB-6 has this under CV as far as I am aware (?). EDIT: See JLR post below for a correction concerning the Moon 505 filter.
On the Q107 you could send the LPF and HPF through a fade module (or I would suggest a Segwencer IV) to get a similar mode sweep.
The Moogah SEM filter is the only 5U module I have that comes close to one ingredient of the SEM. Without the VCO's, EG's and VCA stages the filter itself isn't going to get you to a true SEM sound on it's own. The Moogah has provisions for mixing the Pulse and Saw waveforms from your favorite VCO right on it's panel so that is a great help in simulating the SEM filter mixer. It also has the "variable filter" output so you can reach up and wiggle that mode knob for some SEM goodness in fine fashion.
The OB-6 filter is patterned after the SEM filter and it's dual VCO's help to bring some of that goodness to the mix, although VCO #2 has a triangle and pulse output. Not the saw and pulse like the SEM. Unfortunately the rest of the signal bus is never going to reproduce the SEM perfectly. It is close but not exact.
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
A big part of what makes the SEM come alive is the sweep through from LPF, Notch to HPF. Only the OB-6 has this under CV as far as I am aware (?).
Moon 505! Filter Mode is CV controllable and has a built in attenuator for the Mode Control CV input as well. thumbs up
http://www.lunar-experience.com/assets/downloads/505.pdf

cftbl
For my purposes, this looks like a very useful tool. At 2MU, is wasn't quite what I was after, but now I can have both this and one of the other 1MU modules I've been considering instead of the Q107.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2