MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Midlife-modular crisis... Need help rethinking my modular.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Midlife-modular crisis... Need help rethinking my modular.
Tronketz
Original Post wrote:
Are there any filters like Yusynth Diode filter?
http://bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/Yu_Diode_Filter.html
http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/EMSVCF/index.html

Are there any other filters like this? I like the sound of that in the demo, kinda sounds like my MS-20 MOTM 420 filter. I'm reluctant to take up two panel spaces for just a lowpass with "missing knobs/sockets."

I'm changing this topic to what this is really about. I need help rethinking my small modular setup (24U case).

VCO
MOTM-300 x 2

VCF
MOTM-420 MS-20 LP/HP/NF
MOTM-485 GX-1 LP/HP
MOTM-440 Prophet 5 LP

OTHER
MOTM-830 Dual Mixer
MOTM-101 Noise/S&H
MOTM-190 Dual VCA
MOTM-820 Lag
MOTM-800 EFG x 2
Oakley Control-3 DC voltage/attunator
Oakley EFG

*I don't have LFOs because I generate them via Expert Sleepers Silent Way.

Soon to get: STG Wavefolder and Yusynth Saw Animator
wyrtti
If I am not mistaken, the STG Soundlabs Sea Devils filter is the same as that one. At least it sounds gorgeous. And it's 1U wide...

http://www.stgsoundlabs.com/products/sea_devils_filter_mu.htm
sduck
If you're talking about motm format, if you lost the 2 inputs and their attenuators, just getting down to one input, you could easily fit all the rest on a 1U panel, as long as you're ok with smaller knobs. We're talking diy here though - don't know if that's of any interest. And if .com format works, the STG version looks and sounds great.

Edit - I don't actually know what this thread is about anymore. Nothing wrong with having that much motm - it's pretty diverse stuff. Especially in the filter dept.

I think you should really just get another cabinet and go nuts. All the suggestions you've gotten are good - except for one. You guess which one.
nerdware
Yeah, just build it with a 1U panel. The only reasons I can think of for using a 2U panel are so the mixers are built in and you can get 1V/oct tracking, so if you have mixers already and don't care about accurate tracking, make it 1U.
bwhittington
EDIT: New advice for the switcharoo-topic. . . . sell your modular and take up the flute. This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun!

Cheers,
Brian
doctorvague
There's also the Modcan 23B and Ian Fritz' Threeler.
Tronketz
Thanks for the suggestions.

Doctorvague, does the Threeler really sound like Yusynth Diode filter? From some demos I found, it's hard to tell. I wish there was a simple demo of a saw input with resonance high to hear that "growling" sound that I heard in the Yusynth demo. I might be interested in that filter, it just sucks that it only has one input, so you'd have to use a mixer to put it into feedback; is the multi output passive?
doctorvague
Tronketz wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Doctorvague, does the Threeler really sound like Yusynth Diode filter? From some demos I found, it's hard to tell. I wish there was a simple demo of a saw input with resonance high to hear that "growling" sound that I heard in the Yusynth demo. I might be interested in that filter, it just sucks that it only has one input, so you'd have to use a mixer to put it into feedback; is the multi output passive?

I don't know, I'm hearing the same demos you are hmmm.....
I just picked things I knew of in the ball park.
nerdware
They sound very different to me. They both growl, but each in their own way. Likewise, the MOTM 420. I love that growl, but its not the EMS Diode filter growl.

BTW, where are the docs for the Threeler? I can't find them tonight.
Tronketz
Ah, Nerdware, thanks for clearing that up. I re-listened to the demos and I think I hear what I need to hear now.

I'm at a crossroads with my modular. I don't know what to do and maybe I don't really know what I want. I feel like my modular lacks functionality because my focus was to get modules for their individual sound rather than their functionality as a whole setup.

Now I have MOTM-420, MOTM-485, and MOTM-440. I feel like I need the 440 as a clean filter for "realism." I need the 485 because of its phase-locking nastyness. I need the 420 for its growl. I feel like I should only have two filters, and possibly even the same filter twice. That would leave space and money to add an oscillator or other functionality. Maybe I created my modular to do too many things.
Muff Wiggler
goddamn it would you stop massively replacing initial posts, just start new threads. it's annoying as hell and you were supposed to have learned this before. i'm pulling your editing rights so you don't have to subject us all to this bullshit yet again.
dude
i see too much motm. much more intersting stuff out there. that is all.
Tronketz
Hey Muff, sorry about that, I thought you would have preferred me to limit the number of threads I create.
John Nonjohn
Your original post was about diode filters. If you want more "nastiness", why not add another MOTM 420, and use a pair of MOTM 420's in series, for an "authentic" MS-20 filter characteristic and sound! See the manual for details!

Also, consider growing your modular, beyond your current, cabinet configuration! Maybe add another MOTM 800 Envelope generator, and dedicate it as the Pitch-EG to your Oscillators!

Experiment more with your filters--you have three excellent filters! Try them in series/parallel combinations!

I'd strongly consider an Encore UEG! It can function as an Envelope Generator, Sequencer, or LFO!

Also, check out the Wogglebug #3. It offers surprising flexibility and randomness/musicality!

Maybe, you should add a processing module (like a delay, reverb, or frequency shifter, etc.), instead of adding lots more synthesis-typical modules.

Lastly, only you can determine what your modular needs really are, and hopefully, they correspond to needs for your music, too!
JohnLRice
wyrtti wrote:
If I am not mistaken, the STG Soundlabs Sea Devils filter is the same as that one. At least it sounds gorgeous. And it's 1U wide...

http://www.stgsoundlabs.com/products/sea_devils_filter_mu.htm

+1! thumbs up
JohnLRice
Just my opinion, but I think your system as pictured is a little over kill on mults and mixing.

I think on a system that size (it's a nice size, don't get me wrong) you'd be fine with just one mult. If you need more mults just make some 'floating mults" like this one:

Then, since two of your filters have built in mixers already, you could eliminate the MOTM-830 mixer (even though it's cool!) and replace it with either the MOTM-890 or an Oakley MultiMix. I'd stick it where the other mult used to be I think! thumbs up (and if you miss the 830's bias control you could maybe build a couple custom ones into that little blank space between the mult and little mixer?

So now we freed up 2U of extra space. I really like the idea of adding an Encore UEG in there! thumbs up hyper hihi
suitandtieguy
nerdware wrote:
Yeah, just build it with a 1U panel. The only reasons I can think of for using a 2U panel are so the mixers are built in and you can get 1V/oct tracking, so if you have mixers already and don't care about accurate tracking, make it 1U.

the tracking is really all about how you build it, extra CV attenuators don't really help.
Tronketz
Being able to build my own modules has helped me immensely. It means I can get 100% of the money back for a module if I sell it for the price of parts. I'm under the impression that one shouldn't sell a module for more than the price of parts if the module isn't your design. So a UEG can't be DIYed, but it's extremely versatile, and I think that's what my setup is missing.

Sell a MOTM-800, that's like $100 money back? Sell a MOTM-485, that's like $200... that'll pay for the UEG. Sell the MOTM mixer, get two oakley mixers. Sell the MOTM-440, get another MOTM-420. Or sell the MOTM-420 and 440 to get dual Threeler VCFs.

Some awesome ideas, please keep them coming. Thanks to everyone. It's just going to be hard to part with some modules, but maybe I just have to go with it.
nerdware
Disclaimer: I've never built a filter or any other module, so I defer to STG's experience here. Readers may - and probably should - ignore all my comments below. Mr. Green

suitandtieguy wrote:
nerdware wrote:

the tracking is really all about how you build it, extra CV attenuators don't really help.

Yeah, and the panel and external mixer you use. E.g. you might only use a single frequency CV input. E.g. the Oakley Multimix doesn't give you unity gain at the max setting. It gives 1.1 gain. However, I'd rather have a freq CV attenuator than a res CV attenuator, so that isn't a big deal. So it depends on which features you choose to sacrifice. You and I choose the same set of features, but not everyone does - see the 1U Oakley Superladder panel for an example.

I'd most like the Yusynth version of this filter with the Yusynth panel, but nobody sells that and I can't make it. cry I've designed a 1U MOTM panel for it, but someone else will need to build it for me. So it'll depend on who that is and how they do it, not how I I do it. I don't know this module well enough to say that nobody could build it so it won't track accurately.

Last year I lusted after your version. Now I'm less sure that's the one I want - and I have enough filters for now. 3 VCFs and only 2 VCOs! I deeply regret it, but this filter will have to wait. At the current rate my system is expanding, probably a year or more. ATM I'd have nowhere to mount it, and it'll likely be months before that changes.

So by the time I can add this filter to my synth, my available choices may be very different from today's. I can't even tell from the docs what the various versions of this filter will really do - my experience so far is that the only real test is to install it in your synth and use it.

FWIW, I'm not that bothered about filters tracking as accurately as VCOs. When I want a filter to oscillate, I doubt it'll be so I can play a tune with it. This is esp true for this diode filter!
drewtoothpaste
Y'all wigglers postin in an Argitoth thread!
suitandtieguy
I've met him in person and he was nice to me so, yeah I guess I did.
Synthbuilder
nerdware wrote:
I'd rather have a freq CV attenuator than a res CV attenuator, so that isn't a big deal. So it depends on which features you choose to sacrifice. You and I choose the same set of features, but not everyone does - see the 1U Oakley Superladder panel for an example.

It's a tough one deciding what goes and what stays. And with the Superladder which has only four knobs and four sockets it was particularly difficult.

My theory was that resonance is likely to be controlled by only one source and frequency by several sources in most applications. Putting a CV pot on the freq CV input would perhaps be a waste since you'd probably use a mixer to control that pathway anyway. Resonance, on the other hand, is unlikely to need a mixer, with only one source, and it would be a waste to use a mixer for attenuating one CV. So the Res got the attenuator and the Freq CV a single socket.

I would expect the 1U Superladder to have a minimum of two Mixers in normal operation. One for audio and one for frequency.

But there is no right or wrong way and everyone has there own take on this. Suffice to say 'sod's law' dictates you'll never have enough of what you need anyway. Dead Banana

Tony
essex sound lab
doctorvague wrote:
and Ian Fritz' Threeler.

thumbs up x10
doctorvague
drewtoothpaste wrote:
Y'all wigglers postin in an Argitoth thread!

I just suspected that this morning and PM'd sandyb to ask him...
that answers my question.
Tronketz
Thanks for the modular advice.

Sorry for changing the topic on you, won't (actually can't) happen again, editing rights have been revoked, I think that'll help things. 8_)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3