BitBox vs. MPC (vs. ER-301 vs. Assimil8or)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

WeepWow
Common Wiggler

Post by WeepWow » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Tropic Al wrote:So after reading this thread I went back to some more experiments with the Bitbox and audio rate modulation works with next slice select and produces some really cool glitchey FX!

And as a bonus it also responds to the pulse outputs on my Rollz 5 - this was quite a suprise as I have had to use utility modules both in my rack and inside the ER301 to use these pulse outputs, but the Bitbox just works patching straight in, very pleased with this!

Here's a video, just Rollz5 and the Bitbox with some modulation from a Dixie 2 being mixed through the ER301.

[video][/video]
incredible. nice work. looking forward to getting a 301 someday.

richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:10 am

Now both the bitbox and ER301 are more mature in firmware and the Assimil8or has been out a few months. what are options on the sampler modules?

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:15 am

anyone else want to chime in on ER301 vs assimil8or? i'm currently having this debate myself

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:45 am

thelizard wrote:I have an ER-301 and a Bitbox. They're two *very* different workflows.

Bitbox is the king of one-shot samples. It's so quick to get things going there. The Bitbox replaced my various Mutant Drums, Matter, and Nord Drum. I made a big library of one-shots from those and organized them into folders.

The ER-301 is much deeper, but more methodical. There's no manual yet as the firmware is still very much in flux. The Bitbox is no longer on recording duty in my system as the ER can record up to 6 channels simultaneously (internal and/or external) in up to six files.

As a workflow example, last night I had the Bitbox playing back some clicky Matter samples into a Morpheus. I was simultaneously recording the dry and processed rhythms into the ER. I can now use the ER to more deeply process these files, or just move the files over to my computer for further processing.
+1 on this assessment of the BitBox & ER-301.
The BitBox is so fast and intuitive it’s hands down my go to single sample playback unit.
However the ER-301 is turning out to be the sample mangler and post processing workhorse of my rack but then again my Percussa just showed up too, so time will tell. :bananaguitar:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:35 am

I think no talk about samplers would be complete if you don't include the Percussa SSP in there. It might be too much for what some are looking for, but considering it can be anything, it might be just right for many.

The SSP currently can sample 1 - 16 inputs at up to 192kHz/32 bit. This includes sampling CV as the inputs are DC coupled. It is already extremely capable and does more than any of my other modules.

Progress on the SDK has been going alone very nicely, and once it is finished, the options will be even more plentiful.

Not only is the SSP relevant here, but it's friggin module of the year, and possible decade. Hahahaha.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:48 am

2disbetter wrote:Not only is the SSP relevant here, but it's friggin module of the year, and possible decade. Hahahaha.
Certainly the most EXPENSIVE module of the year! :lol:

(I just ordered a ER-301) :hyper: :hyper:

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:17 am

joey wrote:anyone else want to chime in on ER301 vs assimil8or? i'm currently having this debate myself
'

I am having the very same debate. I love the immediacy and the focus of the Assimil8or, but am simultaneously enthralled with and wary of the seemingly limitless depth of the 301. There Can Be Only One.

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:16 am

glennfin wrote:
2disbetter wrote:Not only is the SSP relevant here, but it's friggin module of the year, and possible decade. Hahahaha.
Certainly the most EXPENSIVE module of the year! :lol:

(I just ordered a ER-301) :hyper: :hyper:
Hahaha, sure thing. High quality components and capability. Compared to what all it replaces and the capability it brings, it more like a bargain.

Congrats on the 301!

mcpepe
Common Wiggler

Post by mcpepe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:09 am

The, still prototype, ALM sampler is also an option. And it seems it would cost about 500€. They talked about an availability about the end of the year. Let's see how all is finally.
[video][/video]

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:37 am

The Assimil8or sounds fantastic especially on pitch shifting and Phase modulation certainly has a character of its own. It’s nothing like a fully functioning modern sampler though. No slicing, no time stretching and zone addressing is currently problematic as discussed in the A8 thread. Looping and editing is pretty frustrating. The MPC 4000 for instance is 17 years older and mops the floor with it on functionality.
All this being said, I’m sticking with it for now in the hope they improve it as it sounds so good.

stickman
Common Wiggler

Post by stickman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:32 am

OP the biggest question for me reading your post is do you just need a one shot sampler or do you want something more capable of sampling?

I started at the former point with a digitakt, which I love, but am now at the latter and wish I had invested in an MPC or octatrak maybe

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 am

i am running an MPC X (since a week, coming from 4000 before that) Assimil8tor - SSP combo

and must say i've never had so much (fun) music making since last week

the combo eurorack- MPC X rocks

as to topic starter, yes -now- you can do direct CV modulations from the MPC
(before i had a MUC810 to transfer MIDI into CV)

i had SP12 samples into the Assimil8tor with expo FM and it sounded great

best of all, just sample into the X and (re) use into your project

which is best since you all know that a session will never sound the same the next day

any Q, shoot

transferpoint
butt-hole

Re: BitBox vs. MPC (vs. ER-301 vs. Assimil8or)

Post by transferpoint » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Any benefits that the Assimil8or has over the ER-301?

The Assimil8or has been on my list for a while, but it seems like many prefer the ER-301. So I'm going down the ER-301 rabbit hole.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:14 am

if fixed, then ask why?

no ER301 here, so i can't comment on that, sorry

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:57 am

transferpoint wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:38 pm
Any benefits that the Assimil8or has over the ER-301?

The Assimil8or has been on my list for a while, but it seems like many prefer the ER-301. So I'm going down the ER-301 rabbit hole.
It depends what you are looking for.

I owned both for several months and kept Assimil8or because it is easier and sounds better for samples, just pitch up or down (especially down) and it takes any sample in a new audio dimension. Never heard such quality even with hardware sampler tbh if you can try it in store you will probably notice the difference but the 301 isn't bad as wel.
I liked the way how the ER301 is structured but I was not using at his full potential and I was bored using it only for stereo mixing with filtering.
However you can do many things on the 301 that you can't on the other side so it will all depends of your needs.

For resume:

-better audio imo
-sample management is easy now, you can sample audition

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 am

The Assimi8or / Bitbox is a fun combination as well imho. You can do a lot of stuff
with a lot of samples at the same time. :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”