MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BitBox vs. MPC (vs. ER-301 vs. Assimil8or)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author BitBox vs. MPC (vs. ER-301 vs. Assimil8or)
cyclopeatron
I've been posting in the MPC and BitBox threads and another Wiggler PMd me to ask about my experiences integrating these units with my Cirklon sequencer, and if I had an opinion about whether they should get an MPC or BitBox for sampling, and how well pitch control worked on BitBox. I ended up writing a long reply, which I thought I might share with the broader community. I personally find these kind of experience-informed comparison posts pretty useful, so maybe some of you can take advantage of my experiences and thoughts. I'd be curious to get other viewpoints too.

Hi!

I have thought a lot about the dilemma you are in. I can offer some thoughts since I benefit from experience with MPC (1k), Bitbox, Cirklon, and TipTop One. I love the BitBox / Cirklon combination – it’s fundamental to my current workflow. My focus is playing live shows, so I value compactness and the ability to change presets quickly. Here are some misc. thoughts:

BitBox Advantages:

- The 1v/oct pitch control of BitBox worked perfectly on the first try for me. I can now play four independent sampled voices in perfect tune. F*cking awesome! This alone is worth the price for me, especially considering that I can quickly switch sample banks between songs during a performance (see below), and I don’t need VCAs, envelopes, etc. for the voices.

- Bitbox’s timing for playing triggered samples has been very tight for me using Cirklon as a sequencer. I can generate very fast, complex rhythms with ratcheting, etc. and they sound surprisingly good. I have no complaints thus far about BitBox latency. I have NOT worked much with slices yet, so I cannot comment on BitBox latency issues when playing slices.

- Bitbox rules in terms of switching entire sample banks between songs quickly. I can have a preset for each song that instantly changes all the samples and modulation parameters. There are 12 presets you can program – more than enough for a lengthy live performance. Switching presets is extremely quick with the touchscreen. Amazing.

- AFAIK BitBox is the only eurorack sampler with MIDI. This is a big deal for me because I sequence very complex multi-part melodic music with my Cirklon and I don’t want to waste CV connections if I don’t have to. MIDI also decreases the wire spaghetti.

- With BitBox I can trigger samples using the touch screen. This is fantastically useful for live performance.

BitBox Disadvantages:

- There is no control over velocity (i.e. volume) by either MIDI or CV. This is a huge bummer and really takes away a lot of the potential for playing expressive beats.

- BitBox has only 4 modulation inputs, and each input can only be assigned to a single sample. Therefore only 4 of the 16 samples can be CV-modulated at a time. When I say modulation I mean things like pitch control, playback start point, etc. So you can do cool stuff with 4 of the samples, but the other 12 will just be triggered, or looped, or whatever. I’m ok with this, but I am hoping that a future firmware update will allow more flexibility (see wishlist below).

- No reverse playback.

- There are only 3 outputs – 2 mono, and 1 stereo.

Compared to MPC:

- MPC, especially the touchscreen variety, is probably better than BitBox for tight control of recording and editing samples. But the BitBox is no slouch in this dept and is quick and easy and capable of auto slicing.

- Until BitBox can do velocity, the MPC is much better for generating expressive rhythms using triggered drum samples.

- I love the instant preset load in BitBox, and the fact you can mix rhythm and melody samples in a preset. MPC can’t do this, AFAIK. This is extremely powerful for live shows.

- BitBox fits in your eurorack. MPC doesn’t.

- BitBox allows CV modulation of samples. MPC doesn't.

- The Cirklon is a way more powerful sequencer than the MPC, so if you have a Cirklon the MPC will most likely be demoted to sample recording and playback.

My current flow:

- I sequence everything using Cirklon. It is just way too good and nothing else I’m aware of comes close to it for playing complex music live. In terms of sequencing, MPC is inferior Cirklon - I can think of no advantages of MPC over Cirklon.

- I use my MPC for playing drum samples sequenced by Cirklon via MIDI. This is a very powerful combo and can make insanely tight, expressive beats. But for my last few performances I have switched to using BitBox for drum samples instead of MPC. BitBox is clearly inferior to MPC for playing drum sample sequences (no velocity), however the combination of small size, instant preset recall, and pitch-controlled melody playback have edged out the MPC for now. I do think the quality of my beats has suffered though, so I'm kind of on the fence about bringing my MPC back into the mix.

- I use BitBox to play melodies using sampled voices (think mellotron, piano, etc.) sequenced from Cirklon. Also for triggered drum samples (see bullet above).

Other thoughts:

- Rossum has a new eurorack sampler coming out called Assimil8or. Its weakness is that it lacks MIDI and can deploy only 8 samples at a time, but, importantly, each sample has three modulation inputs, including VELOCITY, and individual outs. Assimil8or will definitely give BitBox a run for its money unless forthcoming BitBox firmware can implement velocity and make modulation assignment more flexible (see below).

- I had a TipTop One briefly that I wanted to use to play samples melodically. I sold the One after a week. 4xOne is inferior to a single BitBox IMO, for various reason I won't go into.

- BitBox is one of my favorite, most useful modules. It’s worth every penny, especially for live performance. I always get people asking me about it at shows. (I’ve probably sold 3 or 4 of them in the last month, so 1010 needs to pay me some commission - but I will forgo all commission if they’d just implement velocity modulation!)

- The ER-301 looks like a pretty good sampler (4 trigger/gate, 12 CV in, 4 output), but I haven’t used it myself. Based on what I know I would still strongly prefer BitBox because of the touchscreen interface, MIDI, size, price, and more simultaneous samples. (But obviously ER-301 does other stuff too).

My wishlist for BitBox firmware update:

1. MIDI and CV control of velocity.

2. User assignment of all 20 cells as either gate/trigger or modulation. (e.g. you can decide to have 4 samples+16 modulation sources, 10 samples+10 modulation sources, 20 samples+no modulation, etc.).

3. Reverse playback.

If these three functions were implemented BitBox would be the hands-down king of euro samplers IMO. Could you imagine 10-voice polyphony? Or five voices along with five drums w/ accents? BitBox has so much potential. I'd be curious to hear other opinions comparing BitBox vs. Er-301 vs. Assimil8or.
brandonlogic
cyclopeatron wrote:

- The ER-301 looks like a pretty good sampler (4 trigger/gate, 12 CV in, 4 output), but I haven’t used it myself. Based on what I know I would still strongly prefer BitBox because of the touchscreen interface, MIDI, size, price, and more simultaneous samples. (But obviously ER-301 does other stuff too).

I pretty sure the er 301 can do more simultaneous samples than the bitbox or the assimil8or...
yes it only has four audio outputs/channels but that does not mean it can only do four simultaneous samples. each channel can be loaded with multiple sample playback units. really the only limitation is the cpu and the amount of inputs to trigger that many samples (though you can use one trigger/cv in for multiple samples). also, cv ins can be used for gates/triggers too, not just cv. its very open ended, you can set up in an infinite amount of ways, to make it just right for what you need it to for.
cyclopeatron
brandonlogic wrote:
cyclopeatron wrote:

I pretty sure the er 301 can do more simultaneous samples than the bitbox...
yes it only has four audio outputs/channels but that does not mean it can only do four simultaneous samples. each channel can be loaded with multiple sample playback units. really the only limitation is the cpu and the amount of inputs to trigger that many samples (though you can use one trigger/cv in for multiple samples). also, cv ins can be used for gates/triggers too, not just cv. its very open ended, you can set up in an infinite amount of ways, to make it just right for what you need it to for.

Thanks, this is interesting. There's no manual for ER-301 (frustrating) so I'm trying to make inferences off of various posts I read. It was my understanding that the number of triggers was limited to 4. So you are saying that there are 16 inputs, any of which can be user assigned as either a gates/trigger OR modulation? That would be pretty amazing.
thelizard
I have an ER-301 and a Bitbox. They're two *very* different workflows.

Bitbox is the king of one-shot samples. It's so quick to get things going there. The Bitbox replaced my various Mutant Drums, Matter, and Nord Drum. I made a big library of one-shots from those and organized them into folders.

The ER-301 is much deeper, but more methodical. There's no manual yet as the firmware is still very much in flux. There are 20 inputs on the ER-301, actually. 16 full-range inputs (audio, cv, gates, whatever) and 4 "gate-only" inputs (I say "gate-only" because they're labeled as G, but they accept unipolar signals with a pretty decent sampling rate and 12-bit resolution).

On the ER-301, you could setup something similar to a Bitbox. You could, for instance, add 16 Sample Players (your choice of adding them to one mono track, one stereo, four mono, two stereo, one quad, etc.). You could then take 16 of the inputs and dedicate them as gates while also taking four of the inputs and use them as CV. This could be saved as a scene and recalled later. The drawback is that a scene this complicated will be much slower to navigate than the Bitbox's touchscreen. On the plus side, you could add effects to each sample and route each modulation input to multiple destinations.

The only thing about the Bitbox that the ER-301 changed for me is recording. The Bitbox is no longer on recording duty in my system as the ER can record up to 6 channels simultaneously (internal and/or external) in up to six files.

As a workflow example, last night I had the Bitbox playing back some clicky Matter samples into a Morpheus. I was simultaneously recording the dry and processed rhythms into the ER. I can now use the ER to more deeply process these files, or just move the files over to my computer for further processing.
akrylik
cyclopeatron wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
cyclopeatron wrote:

I pretty sure the er 301 can do more simultaneous samples than the bitbox...

Thanks, this is interesting. There's no manual for ER-301 (frustrating) so I'm trying to make inferences off of various posts I read. It was my understanding that the number of triggers was limited to 4. So you are saying that there are 16 inputs, any of which can be user assigned as either a gates/trigger OR modulation? That would be pretty amazing.

There are 20 inputs on the ER-301. Any and all of these 20 inputs can be used for triggering if you route it that way.
thelizard
One other thing worth noting is that the ER-301 can be triggered internally.

Here's a great video from O|D showing a long sample being manipulated by two sine waves. One sine wave is retriggering the sample, while another sine is modulating the start position. The sines are playing back at slightly different frequencies.

https://vimeo.com/213428020
cyclopeatron
thelizard wrote:
On the ER-301, you could setup something similar to a Bitbox. You could, for instance, add 16 Sample Players (your choice of adding them to one mono track, one stereo, four mono, two stereo, one quad, etc.). You could then take 16 of the inputs and dedicate them as gates while also taking four of the inputs and use them as CV. This could be saved as a scene and recalled later. The drawback is that a scene this complicated will be much slower to navigate than the Bitbox's touchscreen. On the plus side, you could add effects to each sample and route each modulation input to multiple destinations.

This is great, thanks. I'm becoming much more interested in the ER-301 now.

How does the ER-301 perform in terms of velocity control, 1v/oct sample playback, and latency?

Could you have 10 piano samples playing polyphonically using 10 1v/oct inputs and 10 gate inputs?
Tropic Al
I also have both.
Big difference for me in terms of sound is the way the Bitbox (with the current firmware) handles audio rate modulation.
If you try and modulate samples at audio rates at a certain point as you get to the higher frequencies the Bitbox just craps out and goes into glitchey digital distortion which doesn't sound too good at all, (and I love nice glitchey distortion!).
The ER301 on the other hand handles audiorate modulation incredibly well (very analog like!) and sounds incredibly smooth.

But as other people above have mentioned there are pros and cons to each one.

Bitobox is way quicker and more immediate to use VS the ER301 is much deeper with its functionality for example.

Aaron from 1010 Music has been very good with firmware updates and responding to users requests on this forum so hopefully this top notch support will continue and eventually we will get the ability to route the four modulation inputs to as many sample slots as we choose, we have the ability to trigger reverse playback on and off and we can do things over midi such as velocity and pitch!
iatroim
Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet about the er-301 is that you can record CV or audio to file internally, and then use that file to modulate internal parameters.

This method could be used for interesting results, as well as to free up some of the CV inputs.
CF3
I haven't tried the Bitbox yet (looks fun). I've been debating getting one.
I did have a ER-301 and I've used MPC's forever (along with many many many other samplers over the years). I was mostly controlling and sequencing the ER-301 with a Cirklon. While cool, the ER-301 has a long way to go... too long for me honestly. Samplers live and die on the operating system development. Doing some of the most basic things you'd do in any sampler is tedious or just not possible (or you max out the CPU) on a ER-301 currently*. I came to the conclusion that mine and Brian's general philosophies on music making just don't sync up. The main problem I have with modular/euro samplers is they are super basic by any metric as far as samplers go. Even 20+ yo samplers are more advanced feature-wise. On the ER-301 even getting a tight triggers requires you put a fixed delay on the gate. Mapping "sliced" samples accurately is a shot in the dark. No proper looping (crossfade or otherwise). At some point I may try the ER-301 again but, the OS needs major work before that happens. The interface and build quality is gorgeous, and Brian is very friendly and attentive, but as it stands my E4XT can do 99.9999% of stuff better and easier. Especially with something like a Doepfer A-192-1 in tow (or just with mad CC's mapped via the Cirklon).

I'm gonna try the Rossum Assimil8or once it drops, but even with a heavyweight like Dave Rossum behind it, I have my doubts about a modular samplers. (even being a super EMU fanboy that I am). I'm hoping to blown away though.

For a live show I would definitely go MPC. Either the new MPC Live or a 1000/2500 running JJOS (so I could have a proper Multi Mode). Totally stable and bomb-proof.
RussiaZero23
This is only my opinion.

The king of speed for live work/Studio work/Sample work/ is the MPC-4000
with 512mb of ram you can have a few shows loaded up and play for days.

As far as speed nothing beats connecting a keyboard to an MPC and hit record and just play out the notes you want for as long as you want. S

peed of this machine is hard to beat even with a computer (the MPC-4000 can even have a Computer keyboard attached so you just type out the names of tracks and more). Interfacing with a modular showed be no problem and i will not go there as there are many solutions for many needs.

The MPC-1000 (had that for a few years) Can be upgraded with Flash Ram (8mb) and 128mb of system ram + internal harddrive (I have seen SSD Drives used) up to 100GB. You can load a ton of songs for a live show with that amount. You can set it up so that when you turn it on it loads every thing automatically for the show as well. No need to load between songs.

The MPC-4000 is a full sampler as well so you can play your grand piano set live if needed. The 1000 I believe also had the ability to do Multisample set ups as well with the last OS but it has been years since I worked on the 1000.

The Cirklon looks nice but it is very slow for many things, Fast as a step editor but slow in many other departments.

I will confess that I I have never used the Cirklon and All I know of it was the video from the web site and the description from the web site.

For a live show I would go MPC-4000 and in a pinch I can (and have) made it work with the MPC-1000.
pre55ure
Thanks for writing this up. It is indeed more useful to the rest of us posted here in public.
Currently using a cirklon an mpc 2500 and the modular, so this is some good info here. I'm still working out how to best utilize the cirklon and the MPC as I'm not entirely convinced that the cirklon is better at everything, but as always it's a work in progress.
rayultine
don't forget that the bitbox can also be an fxbox, and presumably a synthbox! (but not all at once)
Tropic Al
Great thread!

For me I totally agree with CF3's point above about current Modular samplers being somewhat basic compared to their Non Modular equivalents.

However for even though they are basic there are a couple of things that they can do that Non Modular samplers can't do (as far as I am aware)

Audio Rate modulation of samples
Changing slices of a sample by CV

Both of these are what makes the Modular Samplers worth pursuing with and can inspire new sounds.
guestt
ER-301 is not a sampler, it's a sound computer - apples and oranges!

Sampler functionality is just one of the things it can do, if you want one shot playback and traditional sample play back there are definitely much better options as has been strongly presented here, but this is missing the point a bit!
NS4W
CF3 wrote:
Mapping "sliced" samples accurately is a shot in the dark.

Is there no way to jog start/endpoints back and forth on the er-301?
Dogma
there is "another" way thats just become apparent - the "was sure i was gonna hate it" elektron box...Ive owned all the Black elektron boxes and theyre so powerful but for one reason or another they where to expensive for me with the abundant alternatives
The Digikat will do 8 midi and audio tracks but the awesome thing is its always outputting midi via USB which none of the previous eletron boxes have done - what a time to be a musician! :0
CF3
Baddcr wrote:
ER-301 is not a sampler, it's a sound computer - apples and oranges!

No, that's called semantics and hair splitting. Honestly, what's the difference? Lots of dedicated hardware samplers can be used as harddisk recorders, effects units, loopers (mpc1000/2500 w/ JJOS has a looper), synthesizers (use evelopes, filters, vcas, wavetables), etc... EMU EOS even has a modular routing system with all kinds of exotic functions.
And get this... They all run on little microprocessors, aka a computer. All this before we even mention the Fairlight. The ER-301 is a fantastic project, but c'mon..... lol
guestt
Sure, you obviously get it CF3, but believe me, lots of people don't and are surprised when the learn it can do all the other things, and more, that you mention here smile

I'm sticking by the distinction, it's useful!

FWIW I too have used samplers in creative ways for a long time, and nothing comes close to this level of integration with Eurorack, the signal processing options are worthy of the distinction alone, not to mention the deep synthesis techniques or the sound quality; if some folks think it's splitting hairs, so be it!

This is fun!
RussiaZero23
I agree that the ER-301 is very powerful but the original Comparison is with the MPC Series (MPC-1000 is specific to the Thread starter) the Cirklon and the Bitbox.

To compare these 3 My opinion is that the MPC-1000 or even better the MPC-4000 have few equals when it comes to Sequencing,Speed, Function, and Working with Samples/Multi Samples with out a computer.

The 4000 and the 1000 when they have an internal hard drive can plug directly with a computer and transfer samples back and forth. The 4000 goes one more step and allows you to edit and control it from the computer as well.

It does not integrate like the other 3 into eurorack but for live shows with out a computer I know it is a strong contender.

The ER-301 is very nice for what it is.
Sandrine
I'm surprised no-one's chimed in with the Reflex LiveLoop which is, after all, the first multi-minute sampling module. There's no "screen" or SD Card slot, but you can have it up and running twisting stereo samples and slices in the time it takes to record that audio in. No prep, no stops, just record and go.

I personally got into modular again to get away from the time consuming computer realm / burn-in, and some of the newer screen type modules seem to require the same amount of effort to set up and use as a DAW software.
Visuals help, no doubt about it, but isn't the whole point of musical composition to produce audio based on how it sounds ?

If I had to choose between the presented though, I'd choose the BitBox for it's MIDI capability and big screen. But that's "my thing" thumbs up

BTW I'm sure velocity is coming on the BitBox!
Tropic Al
So after reading this thread I went back to some more experiments with the Bitbox and audio rate modulation works with next slice select and produces some really cool glitchey FX!

And as a bonus it also responds to the pulse outputs on my Rollz 5 - this was quite a suprise as I have had to use utility modules both in my rack and inside the ER301 to use these pulse outputs, but the Bitbox just works patching straight in, very pleased with this!

Here's a video, just Rollz5 and the Bitbox with some modulation from a Dixie 2 being mixed through the ER301.

joskery
To OP:

we're not worthy

Thanks for the incredible opening post, and for a good thread.

ER301:

I've heard some people use it as a drum machine.

How are you finding it for this kind of use? Easy to set up? I gather you can just save a "preset" and call it up whenever you need a drum machine?

I really like to research stuff before committing my pennies, so I'd love to hear how people are using the 301 smile
akrylik
joskery wrote:
To OP:

we're not worthy

ER301:

How are you finding it for this kind of use? Easy to set up? I gather you can just save a "preset" and call it up whenever you need a drum machine?

I really like to research stuff before committing my pennies, so I'd love to hear how people are using the 301 smile

My favorite example of using the 301 for percussion is this video:

joskery
akrylik wrote:
joskery wrote:
To OP:

we're not worthy

ER301:

My favorite example of using the 301 for percussion is this video:

That is really, really nice! Thanks smile
WeepWow
Tropic Al wrote:
So after reading this thread I went back to some more experiments with the Bitbox and audio rate modulation works with next slice select and produces some really cool glitchey FX!

And as a bonus it also responds to the pulse outputs on my Rollz 5 - this was quite a suprise as I have had to use utility modules both in my rack and inside the ER301 to use these pulse outputs, but the Bitbox just works patching straight in, very pleased with this!

Here's a video, just Rollz5 and the Bitbox with some modulation from a Dixie 2 being mixed through the ER301.

incredible. nice work. looking forward to getting a 301 someday.
richie
Now both the bitbox and ER301 are more mature in firmware and the Assimil8or has been out a few months. what are options on the sampler modules?
joey
anyone else want to chime in on ER301 vs assimil8or? i'm currently having this debate myself
Tonefloat01
thelizard wrote:
I have an ER-301 and a Bitbox. They're two *very* different workflows.

Bitbox is the king of one-shot samples. It's so quick to get things going there. The Bitbox replaced my various Mutant Drums, Matter, and Nord Drum. I made a big library of one-shots from those and organized them into folders.

The ER-301 is much deeper, but more methodical. There's no manual yet as the firmware is still very much in flux. The Bitbox is no longer on recording duty in my system as the ER can record up to 6 channels simultaneously (internal and/or external) in up to six files.

As a workflow example, last night I had the Bitbox playing back some clicky Matter samples into a Morpheus. I was simultaneously recording the dry and processed rhythms into the ER. I can now use the ER to more deeply process these files, or just move the files over to my computer for further processing.

+1 on this assessment of the BitBox & ER-301.
The BitBox is so fast and intuitive it’s hands down my go to single sample playback unit.
However the ER-301 is turning out to be the sample mangler and post processing workhorse of my rack but then again my Percussa just showed up too, so time will tell. Rockin' Banana!
2disbetter
I think no talk about samplers would be complete if you don't include the Percussa SSP in there. It might be too much for what some are looking for, but considering it can be anything, it might be just right for many.

The SSP currently can sample 1 - 16 inputs at up to 192kHz/32 bit. This includes sampling CV as the inputs are DC coupled. It is already extremely capable and does more than any of my other modules.

Progress on the SDK has been going alone very nicely, and once it is finished, the options will be even more plentiful.

Not only is the SSP relevant here, but it's friggin module of the year, and possible decade. Hahahaha.
glennfin
2disbetter wrote:
Not only is the SSP relevant here, but it's friggin module of the year, and possible decade. Hahahaha.

Certainly the most EXPENSIVE module of the year! lol

(I just ordered a ER-301) hyper hyper
bobbcorr
joey wrote:
anyone else want to chime in on ER301 vs assimil8or? i'm currently having this debate myself
'

I am having the very same debate. I love the immediacy and the focus of the Assimil8or, but am simultaneously enthralled with and wary of the seemingly limitless depth of the 301. There Can Be Only One.
2disbetter
glennfin wrote:
2disbetter wrote:

Certainly the most EXPENSIVE module of the year! lol

(I just ordered a ER-301) hyper hyper

Hahaha, sure thing. High quality components and capability. Compared to what all it replaces and the capability it brings, it more like a bargain.

Congrats on the 301!
mcpepe
The, still prototype, ALM sampler is also an option. And it seems it would cost about 500€. They talked about an availability about the end of the year. Let's see how all is finally.
dare
The Assimil8or sounds fantastic especially on pitch shifting and Phase modulation certainly has a character of its own. It’s nothing like a fully functioning modern sampler though. No slicing, no time stretching and zone addressing is currently problematic as discussed in the A8 thread. Looping and editing is pretty frustrating. The MPC 4000 for instance is 17 years older and mops the floor with it on functionality.
All this being said, I’m sticking with it for now in the hope they improve it as it sounds so good.
stickman
OP the biggest question for me reading your post is do you just need a one shot sampler or do you want something more capable of sampling?

I started at the former point with a digitakt, which I love, but am now at the latter and wish I had invested in an MPC or octatrak maybe
tiger001
i am running an MPC X (since a week, coming from 4000 before that) Assimil8tor - SSP combo

and must say i've never had so much (fun) music making since last week

the combo eurorack- MPC X rocks

as to topic starter, yes -now- you can do direct CV modulations from the MPC
(before i had a MUC810 to transfer MIDI into CV)

i had SP12 samples into the Assimil8tor with expo FM and it sounded great

best of all, just sample into the X and (re) use into your project

which is best since you all know that a session will never sound the same the next day

any Q, shoot
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2