MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

banana cables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author banana cables?
boothnavy
Where do you guys buy banana cables?
emergencyofstate
Hi. I'd recommend going to Muff's Modules & More Advanced Search

and searching topic title only for "Banana Buy"

You'll find plenty of good resources. applause
boothnavy
yeah, no, not really...

anyone else have a good source? I found some places, but are they really almost $5 apiece? that's some bullshit...
ignatius
i bought a bunch from pomona a while back. i don't have the link.. i'll see if i can find it somewhere.. but if you go to the pomona site and look for them you should find them w/o much trouble.

oops.. i mean testpath.. the ones i got are fine.. haven't had any quality issues. they are pomona cables.
emergencyofstate
fine. I got this from using the search myself. www.testpath.com

However, if you think spending $4.75ish per cable is bullshit, you may want to look into DIYing them yourself.
bwhittington
http://www.testpath.com/Search.aspx?kw=pomona

You aren't going to find them retail for less than $5-6. You'd pay $3+ for a pair of Pomona jacks to make your own, so $6-ish for someone to do it for you seems more than fair to me.

I've found giant lots on eBay for really cheap before, including less than $1 each, though most of those weren't stackable.

Cheers,
Brian
russma
Those banana cables from testpath are reportedly very low quality. But at those prices, that might not be a concern for you.

Cheapest of course is DIY. Here's a quote from a thread I found by using the...ahem...advanced search feature...

Quote:
"get this wire at mouser or fave supplier:

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/index.php?i=prodsub&parent=HWARE&cat= WIRE&getDetails=

its mouser# 565-6733-2 for red and 565-6733-0 for black- $20 for 50'!

then get your fave solderless stackable banana plugs like these:

mouser# 565-1325-2 - starting at $1.53 each

I also often find them on eBay for cheaper.

So $1.53 * 2 = $3.06 + $.40 / foot = cheapest cables!

also note the silicone wire is superior to the PVC style of the kinds that you normally buy- its not brittle and lasts forever, and besides a solderless stackable plug means you can always make new ones!?
russma
This thread should probably be in the General forum.
bwhittington
Huh? The cables I linked are Pomona, and I've never had a problem with them. I'd love to know what brand you recommend if you consider those low quality.

Cheers,
Brian
bwhittington
idiotboy wrote:
This thread should probably be in the General forum.

Either that or Buchla/Serge/Wiard. The OP would find a number of previous discussions on this topic if he does a search over there.

Cheers,
Brian
russma
bwhittington wrote:
Huh? The cables I linked are Pomona, and I've never had a problem with them. I'd love to know what brand you recommend if you consider those low quality.

Cheers,
Brian

My mistake. sorry.
The cables reported in this thread as low quality were not the Pomona's, but the "truConnect" cables sold by Rapid.

With years of forum participation under my belt, you'd think by now I'd have learned to keep my mouth shut about stuff I know nothing about.

meh very frustrating
boothnavy
"Cheapest of course is DIY. Here's a quote from a thread I found by using the...ahem...advanced search feature... "

wow, sorry guys, guess i'm an idiot...

i make my own cables, but couldnt seem to locate exactly what it is that you banana mod users, use, in terms of the raw parts.

thanks for the tips, i'll stop bitching about the price of the cables. Should have known better since Buchlas uses them...
slovo
Ha, I took the advice of Steve of Modularland and built some myself the other day. bought no-name stackable solderless plugs and some simple 18 AWG single-conductor wire. You just strip the wire, open a connector (they have little plastic hatches), slide the wire into the hole in the side of the contact stem and screw it down with an eyeglass screwdriver (actually std, not philips, but i dunno what to call those). Couldn't be easier, roughly $50 USD for 300 1-foot cables (though prices for such things are pretty cheap, so close to mainland China). Maybe at some point I'll be moved to buy better quality stuff, but for now it doesn't really sound deficient -- wasp filter nearly made everyone deaf yesterday with its screeching, detailed, saturated raucousness.
Luka
if pomona cables were not so awesome i would probably make my own
nihil2501
thought i would chime in with a link to the pomona patch cords on testpath:

http://www.testpath.com/Categories/4mm-Standard-Banana-Cables-1823.htm  ?Connector(s)=4mm%20Standard%20Stacking&Wire%20Insulation=PVC&BrandFi lter=4&oci=41835

edit:
i couldn't get the url to print properly. just make sure to remove all spaces!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1