MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Oakley Module: Flanger/Chorus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Oakley Module: Flanger/Chorus
Synthbuilder

PCBs now available.

More information including sound samples at the usual place:

http://www.oakleysound.com/flanger.htm

Tony
JohnLRice
Looks and sounds great, Tony! we're not worthy
[s]https://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/flanger-track[/s]
ba1
Anyone know when this will be available in the Krisp1 store? I'm drooling over here! fap fap fap...

And I actually have money for once!
Synthbuilder
ba1 wrote:
Anyone know when this will be available in the Krisp1 store? I'm drooling over here! fap fap fap...

Not sure. But it could be some way off. Paul has bought one board to try out and see how he likes surface mount construction. I haven't heard back yet but I rather enjoyed making my two.

Tony
ba1
Thanks for the update. Hopefully that one will go to me... hihi
krisp14u
should be in store soon

If anyone needs a MOTM flanger with engraved panel let me know and I will order you a panel
ba1
Looks great! How much?
krisp14u
round about 230GBP + shipping for both MU and MOTM
MOTM engraved panel will be a one off K1 panels to come in the future

I have one read to ship if we have interest
josaka
love a flanger me..twisted 2x even better.. twisted twisted
but running out of space in my cab..and using the maxon AD-230 which is epic..!
Dave Peck
krisp14u wrote:

Hi Paul,

PM'd you about this MOTM format flanger. Thanks!
johny_gtr
josaka wrote:
love a flanger me..twisted 2x even better.. twisted twisted
but running out of space in my cab..and using the maxon AD-230 which is epic..!
I also have Ad230 but can't say that its flanger is the best. EHX old Mistress I found better (for my taste of course).
josaka
I have a mistress too.. AD-230 for me smile and I have an AD-250 as well..
the Maxons are great.
johny_gtr
josaka wrote:
the Maxons are great.

I don't know that AD250 even exists.

I have recently bought AD230. Unfortunately seller sold it as "Perfect condition" but I'm repairing it for third month. Each time is sounds better and better but Mistress has something unique.

Unique thing of Ad230 that even in NORMAL (bypass) mode it makes sound of DSI P8 not harsh.
Paradigm X
love a bit of flange, me.

ive got a roland sbf350, which is nice, but a bit clean, and a dynacord tam21, which is the best flanger ive ever heard. dutty

ive actually finished my oakley flanger but just not had time to try it yet Dead Banana will post audio when i do. tonys demos were awesome.

cheers
josaka
paradigm... what drum machines you got..? we should do a "flange off" on the same 16th notes hat smile
josaka
johny_gtr wrote:
josaka wrote:
the Maxons are great.

I have recently bought AD230. Unfortunately seller sold it as "Perfect condition" but I'm repairing it for third month. Each time is sounds better and better but Mistress has something unique.

Unique thing of Ad230 that even in NORMAL (bypass) mode it makes sound of DSI P8 not harsh.

Its not great when that happens ! got same thing with a korg mr multi..

the DSI P8? a prophet 8? cant mean the prophet surely..? smile
johny_gtr
josaka wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
josaka wrote:
the Maxons are great.

Its not great when that happens ! got same thing with a korg mr multi..

the DSI P8? a prophet 8? cant mean the prophet surely..? smile

yes DSI Prophet 8. I thought that harsh+synth request provides only one result in Google d'oh!
Dave Peck
krisp14u wrote:

Hi again Paul,

I see that my latest PM to you seems to still be stuck in my 'outbox' and has not moved to my 'sent box' so I don't know if you have seen it. Can you please reply and confirm that you saw my latest note with instructions regarding WHEN to ship the 5U flanger module to me? It's important that it not arrive while I am out of town.

Thanks,

Dave Peck

................UPDATED: Thanks, Paul!!!
Paradigm X
josaka wrote:
paradigm... what drum machines you got..? we should do a "flange off" on the same 16th notes hat smile

909, 707 (same hats i think?)

and an mpc, so any you want! tighten up rides... love

TAM is away being repaired at the moment but could do the other oakley and the roland. oakley is only mono tho obviously.

cheers
Dave Peck
My 5U flanger/chorus module arrived this evening here in Oakland (after landing five miles away in San Francisco on Sunday and then instead of being driven across the bridge, going for a 570 mile round trip to Eureka CA and back for the next four days !?! Thanks, USPS!! d'oh! ) .... and it sounds excellent! The options for pos & neg mix and pos & neg feedback allow a wide variety of timbres. Well done! applause
Leverkusen
I'd like to second that this is a great sounding module! I recommend audio rate modulation too. It gives you the most lovelyest FM like timbres.

love
Rex Coil 7
Dave Peck wrote:
My 5U flanger/chorus module arrived .... The options for pos & neg mix and pos & neg feedback allow a wide variety of timbres. Well done! applause

Leverkusen wrote:
I'd like to second that this is a great sounding module! I recommend audio rate modulation too. It gives you the most lovelyest FM like timbres.

love

Can we be treated to hearing examples of the POS-NEG mix and feedback options at work, as well as audio rate modulations?

Maybe, like? we're not worthy

I'm working hard at creating new panels for some existing modules in my rig, I would love to locate ~the~ module that will be graced with the one open space that the new panels will create.

applause

Could this be the one?

And is it typically placed before or after the filters?

Thank you!!
Leverkusen
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Leverkusen wrote:

love

Can we be treated to hearing examples of the POS-NEG mix and feedback options at work, as well as audio rate modulations?

Yeah, why not - I just found a silly sequence beneath the kitchen sink and combined it with some other pulsating left overs.

A single sine wave goes into the flanger and another sine is modulating the delay while I am randomly wiggling around with the modulators frequency knob.

Sounds like this, I think:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/leverkusen/oakley-flanger-fm-iii[/s]
Dave Peck
Hi Rex,

There are three audio clips at the bottom of the Oakley page:

The second and third clips are actually several separate sub-clips strung together, showing various different settings including the pos & neg comparisons.

You could put this module anywhere in the audio chain, before or after the filter, before or after the VCA, etc. In some patches, the location of the flanger in the signal chain won't make a significant difference in the sound, in other cases it will make a big difference (like putting it before a distortion module versus putting it after a distortion module). Lots of possibilities!
Rex Coil 7
Leverkusen wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Leverkusen wrote:

love

Yeah, why not - I just found a silly sequence beneath the kitchen sink and combined it with some other pulsating left overs.

A single sine wave goes into the flanger and another sine is modulating the delay while I am randomly wiggling around with the modulators frequency knob.

Sounds like this, I think:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/leverkusen/oakley-flanger-fm-iii[/s]
Thank you ... very - very - much for that! You successfully demonstrated a lot of what FM-ing a flanger into audio rate weirdness sounds like.

Very much in the ring modulator category of tones. Obviously with far more sonic ~reach~ than the basic 4-diode ring mods provide. About mid-way through your demo, the "ya ya" and "yoy yoy" sounds were unexpected!

Yup ... super nice, indeed!

Dave Peck wrote:
Hi Rex,

There are three audio clips at the bottom of the Oakley page:

The second and third clips are actually several separate sub-clips strung together, showing various different settings including the pos & neg comparisons.

You could put this module anywhere in the audio chain, before or after the filter, before or after the VCA, etc. In some patches, the location of the flanger in the signal chain won't make a significant difference in the sound, in other cases it will make a big difference (like putting it before a distortion module versus putting it after a distortion module). Lots of possibilities!
Ah! Good point, so in the placement thing, it's actually no different than my guitar modulation rig (aka "pedalboard" if I must be forced into pedestrian vernacular).

Being a strong fan of Pat Travers and Robin Trower, placing the flanger or phaser pre-distortion creates more of a light swelling and colorful modulation, after distortion (with all of the high end harmonics that are produced by distorting the sound) a far more Eddie Van Halen over-the-top wash of flange is created - the flange become front/center.

WARNING! Plenty of skippable mental vapors below ... just doing a lot of thinking aloud .... ~ahem~ .. again.

meh

~Moan~ .. Hmmm ... I'm torn. With the cash spent on the Oakley, I could (instead) buy one or two instrument interfaces to reboost the signal after cutting it down to line/guitar levels with some VCAs. Then apply as much Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress and Poly Chorus to the signal then reintroducing it back into the modular signal chain.

Only thing is it's not possible to audio-rate modulate the EHX units.

On the other hand, I could go with the Oakley, and place a few "SEND/RETURN" jacks on a few of my modules to create the ~holes~ in the signal chain to insert the Oakley Flanger where ever I choose.

I have managed to fee up TWO precious spaces in my modular (by repanelling eight different modules via Front Panel Express panels, I've compressed 8 into 6).

I could place the Oakley just before the VCF Input mixer (physically), and make up a distribution panel using a Dot Com Q147 Distributor module, carefully cannibalized and rethought, and repanelled VIA FPE.

Huh ... y'know, that said, this Oakely in Euro would really suit me well! Long, overly wordy explanation of ~why~ that I won't torture you all with.

Ok ... back to normally scheduled programming here. Thanks, both of you .. for answering my questions and replying to my post. Your replies will be put to good use.

more thinking .... thinking .... thinking .... don't mind that smell of smoke, it's just my brain being over-clocked again ...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2