MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AE Modular shipping
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author AE Modular shipping
thetechnobear
So my AE modular (by Tangible Waves, tangiblewaves.com) has arrived and Ive been having fun exploring it

(original KS campaign here)

for 500 euro (less than 30 euro per modular) its not only great value, but I think sounds great. Im so far, really pleased with it, its really fun Rockin' Banana!

Ive done a couple of videos , first one, is a quick overview.
the following one, I have it connected up to other gear (bastl kastle, and a breadboard) to show how much fun this can be in the DIY zone.

please bare with me, I'm new to both modulars and the AE modular smile

(for those interested, Robert posted on Facebook, he will take preorders after KS is delivered)

Part one
thetechnobear
part two now up, interfacing bastl kastl (directly and via cv) and a prototype breadboard

thetechnobear
Ive created an AE modular group of google groups for discussion etc.

AE Modular google group

(ive used a shorten url, since appears the official url doesn't work on MW, here is the proper link, if you prefer to cut n paste, rather than use a shorten url)

Quote:

http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ae-modular]AE Modular google group

its public view, but need to join to post (to avoid spam)

if/when Robert/Tangible Waves set up a forum, or decide on a more permanent home, I'll probably shut it down, but nice to have somewhere to meet till then.
Morphology
Is it just me, or does it really not make sense to build a set of modules that are very nearly but entirely NOT compatible mechanically or electrically with Eurorack?

Still, the KS campaign raised €47k so maybe they don't need to care?
thetechnobear
Morphology wrote:
Is it just me, or does it really not make sense to build a set of modules that are very nearly but entirely NOT compatible mechanically or electrically with Eurorack?

I kind of agree with that sentiment in part... but, I think the question is where do you draw the line?

lets assume that the likes of Doepfer are already doing Eurorack at a budget price... if you want to go lower, your going to need to cut costs somewhere.
(simple Doepfer module 80-100 euro, these < 30 euro... simple eurorack bare-rails + power + distribution 100-150 euro)

lets look at the differences...

- physical dimensions, these are a bit shorter... actually here i think its a mistake, material costs to make same size is probably very small.
- mounting, the mounting system is much cheaper here, no rails.
- du pont cables - much cheaper
- du pont points vs jack - much cheaper
- power - only 5v , no bipolar voltage, no 12v - simpler = cheaper , also compatible with many IC/micro-controllers directly with no voltage conversion
- circuitry - again unipolar 5v, simpler/cheaper

perhaps physical dimensions should have been eurorack, but does that buy much? if your going to spend 1000-2000 euro (minimum really) on a eurorack , do you want to add 30 euro modules? and they still aren't compatible due to voltages.

even if you do, perhaps its nice to have it as a standalone system anyway (with converters, as AEM provides)

if we look around, we can see AEM is not the only one doing this, Minisizer, NS1Nanosynth... and a few 'desktop bits' (Bastl - Kastl/Bitranger/OMSynth)

I think its a great standalone/fun system... if I want eurorack, id buy that in addition,
(if i then wanted to mount this in the eurorack case, id make a simpler AEM mount to euro adapter, easy enough, as there is 2cm to play with, so i could make a 'drop in' rail, then take the 5v power from eurorack)

Id recommend this to someone who wants to 'dabble' in modulars, but is really not sure... and doesn't think they want to >1000 euro for a small eurorack system.
Id also recommend it to someone who want to dabble in DIY, either building modules or external gear. (its cheap/low res, and easier)

Id NOT recommend it to someone who is starting modular, but really wants to build up a system and is prepared with a budget ... for these buying either a starter system or an 'all in one' eurorack compatible system might make more sense (e.g mother32, lifeform, 0-coast)
also if you want an enormous choice of modules, then go straight to eurorack.

So definitely think theres room for more than one modular format (even if eurorack was the only one, which it isn't wink)

Coincidentally, I dont have any eurorack gear now (though been considering it for a while, but cant/wont justify the cost)
HOWEVER Ive backed a Folktek Mescaline system (on Indiegogo) , which will potentially start me down that rabbit hole BUT what I love about that system is it has a du-pont breakout board, so I will be able to hook it up directly to the AEM as well - so looks like this might end up with as a hybrid system smile

I guess, the debate will continue.
Im sure we would all love a budget eurorack system for 500 euro, but Im guessing for now, this is perhaps not possible.
(hmm, unless Behringer jump into the ring!)

a couple of 'teases' (because this is just my speculation)

- on the side of the case are brass screw threads, not used... Im speculating these are for some kind of 'mount' or racking.

- I took a few modules out, to have a look how things are done (nicely as it happens!), and on the back of the master IO module, I found a 10 pin ribbon connector labelled on the PCB as 'EURORACK' ... no word yet as what this is for, perhaps to connect directly to a eurorack bus?
sduck
Morphology wrote:

Why not? Eurorack certainly isn't the only modular format. Many DIYers and such have created their own formats, sometimes just for personal use, sometimes with the idea of selling them. Many you've never heard of, some have crashed and burned, some sail along with a small but loyal user base. See Frac, MOTM, Kilpatrick, etc for examples.
Beholder
Moderator edit:

you can't sell things if you have fewer than 100 posts and you can't drop FS posts anywhere but the BST subforum.

please read the market place and forum rules.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34546
Beholder
100 posts zombie
Thats a lot confused
Any specific reason why I need 100 posts?
ignatius
Beholder wrote:
100 posts zombie
Thats a lot confused
Any specific reason why I need 100 posts?

read the forum rules. this place isn't a bst marketplace it's a (free) community so to deter people from just coming here to sell stuff and not taking part and contributing to the community there is a restriction placed on selling things here.

you can always use ebay craigslist reverb etc..

sorry but them's the rules.

forum rules

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35996

thumbs up
AppAraat
Interesting approach to modular. I really like its compact size (of course the price is certainly attractive as well!)

But can this be patched to/from the Minisizer/Tinysizer and Moog Werkstatt?
Miguel606
thetechnobear wrote:
part two now up, interfacing bastl kastl (directly and via cv) and a prototype breadboard

Hi, thanks for the great vids, about how long did it take to get your ae modular shipped to you.
thetechnobear
I got mine as part of the kickstarter - so was different smile

last time I heard it was about 3 weeks, apparently Robert is really busy building and shipping units - but there was some talk of optimising the process to reduce this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1