MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plumbutter2 'Stop/start'????
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Plumbutter2 'Stop/start'????
Tropic Al
Hi

I have a Plumbutter2 on the way to me now and wondered
if it is possible to stop and start it?
I researched but can't find an answer!
I currently have a Menqi Rolz5 where I use the power starve knob to stop and start so wondered if the Plumbutter2 had similar functionality or if it is always on?
ghrobbing_tristle
Newbie here, but I'll give this a shot.

All voices on the Plumbutter (with the exception of the deerhorn, which responds to your gestures) need some kind of input to kick into gear -- something like a rollz output or other cv source.

The rollz are like LFOs - always cycling - but you can use the 8-step sequencer's on/off buttons to make things start and stop. For instance, feed a rollz output to the clock in of the sequencer and push the red button to get the sequencer going -- it'll jump to each step based on the speed of the clock source you give it, and will stop once the last step is reached.

If you want the sequencer to run through its 8 steps again, just hit the red button. If you want the sequencer to cycle on its own, just feed one of its outputs (the red/orange jacks) back to its data input (purple).

Hope that helps!
Tropic Al
Thanks for the reply!

So I guess that means that there is no global start / stop like the power starve knob of the Rolz5?

So if I use the sequencer then I'm guessing that I can only do this with one roll?

So maybe the the only way to stop all of the rolls would be to pull the power and then plug it in again?
Or mute the output on the mixer it is going through would be another way, and much safer in the long run!
wednesdayayay
Alternatively you could buy a little dc power adapter that has an on/off switch in line. This would go between the plumbutter and your typical power solution

I have one saved on amazon and I'm sure plenty of other places sell them.
Tropic Al
wednesdayayay wrote:
Alternatively you could buy a little dc power adapter that has an on/off switch in line. This would go between the plumbutter and your typical power solution

I have one saved on amazon and I'm sure plenty of other places sell them.

Ok cool I'll check it out, thanks!
horaflora
PB had a mixer section and channel for each voice module - i think that's gonna be where you find yourself wanting to deal with dynamics ... it has been posited that there's some built in compression that happens in PB's mixer section as well, so possible to play it a. It more readily than just an on-off or your from your other mixer...
Tropic Al
horaflora wrote:
PB had a mixer section and channel for each voice module - i think that's gonna be where you find yourself wanting to deal with dynamics ... it has been posited that there's some built in compression that happens in PB's mixer section as well, so possible to play it a. It more readily than just an on-off or your from your other mixer...

Yes love the fact that it has a mixer, as my Rolz5 doesn't have one, so I am looking forward to being able to control the individual parts!
My initial question is about stopping and starting the Plumbutter2 as
I like to have pauses,

so was interested to find out if there was a similar thing to the power starve Knob on the Rolz5, which I use to stop and then restart it, seems like the only way to do this will be to get the power supply with a switch!
horaflora
Well, it will take some experimentation, but you also find that using the shift register (step sequencer) with some sort of data import that is derived from something somewhat random within the PB or just via the data in button, you can get the plum butter to start and stop at Self and somewhat random, staggered, intervals, great fun!
Tropic Al
horaflora wrote:
Well, it will take some experimentation, but you also find that using the shift register (step sequencer) with some sort of data import that is derived from something somewhat random within the PB or just via the data in button, you can get the plum butter to start and stop at Self and somewhat random, staggered, intervals, great fun!

Excellent! Really looking forward to playing it and experimenting.
As I mentioned I love my Rolz5 and I think that the Plumbutter will give me the same vibe but a lot more options for control and modulation which the Rolz5 doesn't have!
ignacio
There is no "real" start and stop. But you can tweak it with inputs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1