MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Planar has arrived!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Planar has arrived!
Sugarfree
An Intellijel Planar converted to MU by FreeStateFX.
Jason has made a terrific job on this!

- Vector mixing
- Quad Panning
- SENSE gate
- Manual gate
- CV outputs
- CV Inputs
- second face plate with jacks on the top
https://intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/planar/

newgreyarea
YES!!!!!!

Now can he do my Rainmaker and Shapeshifter so I can leave Euro altogether!??! Hah!

How much did this cost?
More details!!!
Sugarfree
the cost of the conversion was $435.
This included 2 reversible panels, as in the Euro version.

What's interesting, you can turn the joystick off and just mix four sources with XY CV. Or pan one source in quadrophonic space.

IMO, it's one of those insanely versatile modules that should be available in all formats. I hope someone redesigns the pcb specifically for MU, to make the conversion easier and allow more flexibility in panel design.
EPTC
Sugarfree wrote:
the cost of the conversion was $435

Wow, that is FANCY looking, and so much more open and useful in appearance than the packed eurorack format. Wonderful!

Was that $435 on top of the $340 for the module itself?

Bonus question: Has ANYONE here ever used the Ekdahl Quad Massager? I've been debating between the two for years but have no sense on which is a better one to select. A 5U version of Planar seems totally like the debate winner, though. Did you just contact FSFX for the conversion?
Sugarfree
yes, $340 the original module + $435 conversion
EPTC
Sugarfree wrote:

Looks worth it to me. The upgrade to 1/4" output and widened landscape is really wonderful. Congrats.
newgreyarea
$435 on top of the cost of the module?!?! WTF?! Why?! How much do panels cost? What am I missing that justifies this expense? Sorry. That's just a shocking number that I didn't expect. I'll just stick with my $5 cables for now, I suppose. Looks good though! Wish someone was doing affordable conversions for more of the decent euro stuff.
Sugarfree
- over 7 hours of work (incl. design of 2 panels)
- 2 custom panels
- Euro to MU power adapter
- 15 Switchcraft jacks
- shipping

it all adds up, not sure how would you make it cheaper though.
tehfizzle
newgreyarea wrote:
What am I missing that justifies this expense?

The euro to 5u conversions take time. People like to get paid for their time.
newgreyarea
tehfizzle wrote:
newgreyarea wrote:
What am I missing that justifies this expense?

The euro to 5u conversions take time. People like to get paid for their time.

Well, of course. I just didn't realize how long the conversion would take. I've just seen experienced solder jockey's whiz through stuff, so I didn't think it would take 30 minutes per jack on these. I've never pulled the Planar apart so I really have no idea. Didn't realize the time involved with the panel either. I'm just accustomed to the guys doing euro panels selling them for $30 bucks and didn't think it was such an ordeal. I don't DIY so I really don't know the costs involved.

I don't know if I could justify adding $500 to every conversion. I could buy an entire system for the cost of 3 or 4 modules! Hah!

-b
Sugarfree
Imagine how much time it would take you to just redesign 2 panels.
Make and print new layouts for the controls, jacks, labels and graphics.
You do realize, you'd have to redraw all the graphics from scratch, right?
newgreyarea
Sugarfree wrote:
Imagine how much time it would take you to just redesign 2 panels.
Make and print new layouts for the controls, jacks, labels and graphics.
You do realize, you'd have to redraw all the graphics from scratch, right?

My first time out would take about 2x as long as the 2nd. Probably.
Look, I don't really care how much it costs. I just didn't expect to hear that number. It's cool that someone is doing it and that people are willing to shell out that kinda money for it. I don't think they'll retain their value but if you're not planning to sell, then it doesn't matter. That cost has made my decision to keep a small euro setup much easier. I really wanted out of euro altogether but I'm not down to lose that much money for it. I'll just deal with these silly $5 1/4" to 1/8" cables for now. Maybe someone will figure out how to bring the cost down on conversions as the format gains popularity. It's probably cheaper for me to just buy the gear to do the conversions myself if I really want some of them in 5U.
No biggie either way. Has very little effect on what we do in the studio. The new record was done without any 5U at all. The next will have more than zero! Hah!
coyoteous
Beautiful work, for sure... laziness and more other modules for the conversion price would put me considering a euro expansion if I just had to have one, though.

Honestly, you've got me wondering what it does enough to open a new tab... I do already have a Wiard joystick and JAG built by Grant himself in lone single fracrack, which I'm guessing does some of that.
johny_gtr
I think the best way to understand is it too much or not is creating an item by yourself. If it will be easier than asked price - you will continue to do it yourself, if not - you need to decide "pay" or "forget".

Maybe you will prefer anodized panels and full porting (all controls are MU style and interface) or just stay with some modules in euro.
coyoteous
Just figured out who Sugarfree is... I'll bet he can afford it and deserves it!

Sugarfree: Your web URL in your profile is misspelled... love your Penny Dreadful score in particular.

Respect.
Sugarfree
coyoteous wrote:
Sugarfree: Your web URL in your profile is misspelled... love your Penny Dreadful score in particular.

Respect.

thank you coyoteous, this is very kind.
Rex Coil 7
EPTC wrote:
Sugarfree wrote:
the cost of the conversion was $435
..... Was that $435 on top of the $340 for the module itself?

Sugarfree wrote:

Hold up hold up hold up .... so wait ... $775 for a flippin' MU Planar? I mean, I ~get~ the convenience and power of the combination .... but to me that kind of expense is simply esoteric (eg; chromed out HumVee of the big-city dweller). Hey man, I'm all about tricked out high speed/low drag one-off stuff that's pretty much unobtainium for the gotta-have-it crowd, but that's out of my league. I have had trouble with giving myself permission to spend that kind money on a sequencer let alone a Planar.

So that I properly understand this (help me out if I'm off base) ... the $435 bucks gets you two panels and the necessary peripherals (pots, jacks, adapters, et al) needed to complete the MU conversion, but you still have to provide a Planar ... right? It just seems excessive for the return on investment.

I fully understand what it takes to create and have manufactured something that looks professionally finished and refined ... but something seems WAY WAY off here.

Then again, I tend to see things through my bellybutton at times ....

thumbs up soooo .... yea ....
Rex Coil 7
newgreyarea wrote:
.... That cost has made my decision to keep a small euro setup much easier. I really wanted out of euro altogether but I'm not down to lose that much money for it. I'll just deal with these silly $5 1/4" to 1/8" cables for now.
Loud-n-clear, brother. I had to give in as well .....

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I'm toying with the idea of making 5U Planars. Of course, they'd be made by hand in my garage, like all my own modules. However, I'd get proper panels made by somebody. They won't cost $800 though. Less than half that, I'd expect.
cupperwear
Another beauty created by Jason. He did a lot of builds for me, all at very reasonable prices and excellent quality.

I inquired about an E350 to MU conversion from a different manufacturer and was quoted $300 on top of the cost of the E350 module. This included custom repanels (2MU), switchcraft 112AX jacks, cosmo knobs, and add'l parts/labor/shipping
ba1
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of making 5U Planars. Of course, they'd be made by hand in my garage, like all my own modules. However, I'd get proper panels made by somebody. They won't cost $800 though. Less than half that, I'd expect.

I'd be interested!
newgreyarea
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

BRING IT ALL TO 5U!!! Planars, Korgasmotrons, µFold, µMod, all the "µ's"!!!

I'd definitely be on board. . . . but yeah, get panels done. I know a guy that might be able to help with that. I'm sure you know plenty.
johny_gtr
newgreyarea wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

BRING IT ALL TO 5U!!! Planars, Korgasmotrons, µFold, µMod, all the "µ's"!!!

I'd definitely be on board. . . . but yeah, get panels done. I know a guy that might be able to help with that. I'm sure you know plenty.

plus one
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1