MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BEMI build quality
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author BEMI build quality
weedywhizz
Hi,

after a long time I bought a BEMI / Buchla module again. Not a real module but the 40hp blade to mount some Expert sleepers stuff.
I'm aware that the modules build quality wasn't great in the past - like wobbly knobs and personally I've got a very dirty 250e that was "new" - exactly that word by Don himself.

What I've got today was a new level of build quality - the worst I've ever seen.

The Buchla blade frame was basically shitty in all aspects.
- the frame itself was bent
- the Eurorack rails were loose. The screws had a play of 3-4 mm.
- the Tinixaj were all loose
- the bananas were all loose

I have to disassemble the whole frame and need to reassemble it and again to get the Tinijax and bananas fit tightly on the frame.

I just don't get it. Is that the way to push out a shitload of modules after a long period where nothing was in stock ?

Anyone else with a similar experience ?

Cheers
Steffen
tmeade
Sounds dodgy!
I received my 252e, 226h and frame, and LEM at Christmas time and I have to say the build quality is better than anything I've gotten before. The knobs are nice and tight on the 252e and everything feels solid.
REcDeso12oi
Ya I've bought several 200e modules and a LEM 218 in the past several months and have had no issues at all. Always annoying though to spend a bunch of money on something you feel like is sub-par, where did you purchase the Blade from?
weedywhizz
Got the blade from JRRShop. Never had issues with them in the past.

Had to tighten every screw on the blade - I really mean every - without exception. One two smaller mistakes may happen but this was really unusable without reassembling.

Good to hear though that this is not the standard.
Ozz
Hi Steffen

I think it would be safer to buy Buchla only from authorized dealers.

Cheers
Carlos
JamieH
I bought a 291e recently and had problems with it, the amazing community we have here on muffs helped me sort it out (thanks Trax)

All we can really do is feed the problems back to the dealer and to Bemi and hope things improve.
sgnhh
tbh the blade even looks cheap in the pictures on the BEMI website. for the cost and space it takes up in a cabinet, you're likely better off buying a small intellijel case (https://intellijel.com/product/4u-x-42hp-eurorack-case/).
syncretism
Ozz wrote:
Hi Steffen

I think it would be safer to buy Buchla only from authorized dealers.

Cheers
Carlos

I'm pretty sure JRR qualifies as an authorized dealer, if not one of the only dealers.
Happyanimal
The only authorized dealers in USA are foxtone and noisebug. Not sure how JR fits into the whole equation.
syncretism
Happyanimal wrote:
The only authorized dealers in USA are foxtone and noisebug. Not sure how JR fits into the whole equation.

!!! Wild. JRR had been (has been?) selling Buchla stuff for a while. They still have the Easel, eg, online, and the "usually ships within 3+ weeks" availability certainly doesn't hint otherwise. Huh. Well, sorry - carry on!
sgnhh
FWIW I spoke with JRR earlier this week and they are in contact with BEMI. whether they are auth'd or not, i'm unsure, but they apparently can reach BEMI pretty easily.
Happyanimal
I'm not sure how it works either- only reiterating what I was told. BEMI web doesn't how JRR under their dealers either. Then again maybe it was nevrnupdated or accurate.
gkalis
a friend bought an easel from bemi and everyting seems fine these days
durwin
I bought an BEMI Easel brand new from a dealer - SH went down after a few hours of use, got the board replaced, then the envelope generator died after another session.

Returned it. angry

Going to build one... Dead Banana
Atomicunderware
I bought an Easel from Foxtone (shipped to Norway) earlier this year. It arrived with a bunch of screws missing that hold in the 208, plus one of the screws that holds the expansion port in place was missing. The reverb was also non-functional. The 218 also has a couple of tiny blemishes, but they don't affect the functionality. Eric at Foxtone was excellent to deal with - he sorted a replacement 208 sent from BEMI, which also included a set of Rogans (New Easels no longer ship with Rogans). I replaced it myself and all seems good now. I was aware of the potential issues before buying, which is one reason I used Foxtone as their reputation seemed solid, and so it proved to be. I'm glad I didn't order back in the BEMI direct to customer days.
mutierend
I bought an Easel K from Noisebug. The 223e had some nicks on the touchplates. The padding that holds everything in the suitcase was somewhat dodgy, popping out in some parts such that playing the 223e was bit difficult. I ended up pushing it into the suitcase with one of those orange Lego tools. I also noticed that the screws created some pretty bad rack rash. I wonder why they don't use $.10 nylon washers on a $6000 synthesizer.

For the cost, I would have expected a bit better attention to detail and quality, but I knew what I was getting into after reading things here.
Happyanimal
Atomicunderware wrote:
I bought an Easel from Foxtone (shipped to Norway) earlier this year. It arrived with a bunch of screws missing that hold in the 208, plus one of the screws that holds the expansion port in place was missing. The reverb was also non-functional. The 218 also has a couple of tiny blemishes, but they don't affect the functionality. Eric at Foxtone was excellent to deal with - he sorted a replacement 208 sent from BEMI, which also included a set of Rogans (New Easels no longer ship with Rogans). I replaced it myself and all seems good now. I was aware of the potential issues before buying, which is one reason I used Foxtone as their reputation seemed solid, and so it proved to be. I'm glad I didn't order back in the BEMI direct to customer days.

The reverb tanks getting jarred during shipment has been a known issue. I experienced the same thing 2-3 years ago. Amazing this hasn't been worked out yet.
pelican
Atomicunderware wrote:

What? They raised the price again and quit the Rogans?
Atomicunderware
pelican wrote:
Atomicunderware wrote:

What? They raised the price again and quit the Rogans?

I got mine befoe the price rise. Yep, no more Rogans...I was very surprised when I first unboxed it.
TMortigan
I say this, as I have had similar feelings about my first experience holding an actual Buchla in my hands, thinking to myself, "THiS was $4,000?!?" However once I plugged the Easel up, it was magic to my ears. My 218 keyboard, although carefully played and stored, had the top layer start to mysteriously come unglued from the paneling. I was so worried about my precious Easel being unplayable that I reached out on here (thanks to everyone who responded!) and much to my dismay I woke up one morning with an email from a guy at BEMI offering me a new 218, FREE of charge, and to send my address. I was shocked, and two weeks later I had it she's whatsoever. So, the stories I hear are so hit and miss, although I am just unsure at how mysterious operation works at times. Who actually giving the final go and the last say before the products leave the home?
mutierend
TMortigan wrote:
...much to my dismay I woke up one morning with an email from a guy at BEMI offering me a new 218, FREE of charge...

Why were you dismayed? seriously, i just don't get it
TMortigan
weedywhizz

Hi there! I am looking at selling my LEM 3U powered boat and Buchla Music Easel case and wish to buy a folding case 18U powered case much like the ones you make. However I have the following modules that are too deep for most cases I have found:

158R
258R
208E
218E
292E

Do your cases have room for these? Also, can I see a price. List? I am in Texas, USA. Pics would be a great help too sir!!

Thomas Mortigan
InnnerSight
I have recently purchased an new Easel and mine is fine. I will agree that the build quality doesn't feel like £4500 worth, however as others have said the sound is magical (to my ears at least).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1