MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyend SEQ vs Misa digital
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Polyend SEQ vs Misa digital
Happyanimal
Anyone else following this much? Seems like they have been pushing back ship dates for several months. Anyone here actually preorder?

https://polyend.com/seq-sequencer/

On the other side- has anyone here actually tried the Misa?
nangu
Yep, I'm the first guy in the pre-order line and I'm probably following it a little too obsessively.. lol

This beast seems to be just perfect for me, especially since it sounds like they're going to implement a couple of my suggestions.

They needed to do an extra revision of the PCB, which totally goofed up the projected ship date. It'll be well worth the wait- IIRC, none of the realtime recording stuff was even planned when it was first announced. It just keeps getting better and better..

SlayerBadger! w00t w00t!!

Happyanimal
nangu wrote:
Yep, I'm the first guy in the pre-order line and I'm probably following it a little too obsessively.. lol

This beast seems to be just perfect for me, especially since it sounds like they're going to implement a couple of my suggestions.

They needed to do an extra revision of the PCB, which totally goofed up the projected ship

Yup, saw that about hardware revision. With that being said, what is the latest that has been communicated to you? Is it shipping end of month, or is it June now?
nangu
Last thing I heard was end of May- that was on April 28th.
Happyanimal
Thanks for your response. I think it's a great piece too. Just leary of locking into a preorder with no end in sight. Seems like shipping is soon. Here's to hoping. thumbs up
BTG
I've preordered as well - where are you folks tracking status?
nangu
I've been haunting their Facebook page like everybody else, but the "end of May" thing was from an email.

I've been talking to Piotr since long before they released Perc Pro (their robot drummer) because I pre-ordered that, too.

Somehow, I've managed to not pester him for updates too frequently. I'm sure that it wouldn't speed things up any if I kept asking "are we there yet?" every five minutes. I'll update this thread whenever I hear anything- I have a potentially useful idea that I'll be emailing him about within the next few days anyhow..
Happyanimal
Just got an email response from Piotr after inquiring via their web contact form-

"Yes, we have a delay with PCB delivery but June is still feasible."
rowsbywoof
Looks nice. Not sure I'm totally sold on the mono eight track thing, but it looks like they're planning at least three note polyphony in a future update.

Overall layout and operation looks very nice. I won't pre-order one, but I will be watching to see how people get on with it. Looks to be a nice sequencer option, and I'm glad we're getting new and interesting ones that aren't on 18+ month waiting lists to get a hold of.
SOPiiAC
The info on their website is criminally woeful. How many notes of polyphony per track?
Happyanimal
Latest video already has the polyphonic step feature. Not sure how many notes per step.
rowsbywoof
SOPiiAC wrote:
The info on their website is criminally woeful. How many notes of polyphony per track?

That YouTube video linked here shows three tracks light up when he holds a three note chord on the Keystep. It's mono per track right now. Someone in the comments expressed that wasn't good enough, and Polyend said they were looking to implement three (possibly four) notes per track in a future update.

I'd need to see that implemented and working before I plopped down the change. I can see myself eating five to six tracks easy as is with just pads/key playing.

I'm sure mono is solid for a lot of folks though, especially if you're working with modular, but then their MIDI to CV interface is a $399 add on :(

It's still a really nice sequencer. I hope they do implement all the features they're hoping to squeeze in.
Happyanimal
I agree, and would want 1 track/ 1 lane to support polyphony without having to stack tracks.

But I also noticed really cool feature with the way it is currently implemented -

When stacking those 4 lanes for a 4 note chord- you can time shift just one lane- creating arpeggiated effects. If this was my only sequencer I would agree it is a deal breaker, but for my current setup with MPC I actually like the current behavior.
rowsbywoof
Happyanimal wrote:
Latest video already has the polyphonic step feature. Not sure how many notes per step.

Looks like it might be four? I'm guessing you mean this video?

Hard to tell since I can't see the SEQ, there's no sound, and no description, but they're showing four note polyphony with their CV expander. Now... is that in a single track? I'm guessing it must be since the video from last month can already do that, but it would burn up four tracks in the process.

Guessing they're still testing and will show more soon. That's already more interesting for me. I can deal with four notes per track.
Happyanimal
No this one, but does look like it is 1 track per note. For 4 note chord = 4 tacks.

https://youtu.be/Qtnf38cMggA
SOPiiAC
Okay, that's too bad. I'll just have to keep waiting for Cirklon. Thanks for the info.
Happyanimal
I just came across the Misa sequencers too. Has anyone here considered that one? Looks more capable and is already available.
nangu
I checked out Misa. It seems very interesting, but I decided that it's not as good as SEQ for my purposes.

I'm really looking forward to doing polymetric drum stuff with SEQ. Having the flexibility of 8 tracks with any lengths on any MIDI channels - and being able to see them all at once - is a big deal for me.

Sequences on Misa are kind of like the tracks on SEQ. Misa can run 6 sequences at once and each sequence can have different loop points, but you can only see one sequence at a time and you can't have two or more sequences sharing the same MIDI channel.

I'm not too worried about running out of tracks on SEQ, partly because I'll be dropping some of those sequences into my other sequencers to free up space once I've got stuff the way I like it. And partly because I pre-ordered two SEQs.. Yep, I'm that crazy about this beautiful machine. lol
Happyanimal
I agree. Misa looks a bit overwhelming.
Blingley
While I was just lurking this thread, I just wanted to note that that Misa Sequencer looks amazing for live performance. This video in particular:

I can just figure how much fun it would be to hook it up to some chopped up breakbeats, or to some kind of midi-controlled resampling buffer. eek!
Happyanimal
The Misa is nice- but overly complex for what I'm looking for. The lack of documentation of available is pretty weird- does it come with a printed manual? The content on their web reads like a giant help page.
nangu
Here is the Misa manual that I was looking at:

https://misa-digital.myshopify.com/pages/nsc-32-instruction-manual
Happyanimal
Eh,, looks like SEQ release slipped again - now July ship date. hyper
Happyanimal
nangu wrote:
Here is the Misa manual that I was looking at:

https://misa-digital.myshopify.com/pages/nsc-32-instruction-manual

Thx. There is more info here than I initially thought. After going through a couple of the videos the layout makes more sense. For polyphonic duties Misa makes more sense than the polyend. I was unexpectedly sucked into the step sequencer on the matrixbrute. Wasn't as powerful as needed, but still a pretty good experience. Misa looks a lot closer to that workflow than polyend.

Misa seems to have a bunch of transpose and quantize functions as well. Only thing I can't seem to find is if you can record controller data per step.
Happyanimal
Just picked up Misa NSC16. So far I really like it. The build is substantial- heavy brick. I take back what I said earlier about complexity- it is really straightforward to use. I intend to really use this with a polyphonic synth, playing chords and arpeggios. I think it excels at this- quantize functions, the ability to see every note in a chord. The loop points and move functions work really well. Workflow is really nice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5