MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I take the plunge! Today I bought a busboard and power :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author I take the plunge! Today I bought a busboard and power :)
LeRAW
Hello everybody

Like I say before finally I take the plunge and to commit myself I bought an Intellijel TPS30 MINI bus board. This will be the beginning of my first Eurorack Modules (EM).

I have been looking around the last couple of month in forums, Youtube, reviews, modules producers, etc learning and discovering. But some feedback from you guys will be very valuable.

I have used all my 10 modulargrid.com racks extensively, changing the setups very often.
Finally, I get few options from 44HP to 60HP setup that I will like your opinion.

Without any musical background, starting small and slow is a must. I want to start with a more basic system and understand what I'm doing. The budget is small. Around $1000 for modules.

All the racks have the Oscilloscope DATA (16HP). I like the idea to visualise what is going on. If we remove the cost of DATA will be under $1000 (without power, rails and case). Eventually, I will very slowly expand to an 84HP, maximum.

Instead, to mix and match brands I opt for same modules brand
I have tried to go with basics. VCO, VCA, LFO, EG, Filter…

In order of preference
LeRAW 60 Erica. Alternative: Black VCO instead Black Wavetable VCO
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431055

LeRAW 60 Make Noise
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431249

LeRAW 60 Doepfer
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431245

LeRAW 60 Mutable Instruments
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431768

LeRAW 44 Intellijel. Alternative: PLOG instead one Dixie II+
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432282

I forgot power will be on the side.
The 1U Will not be in use at the moment.

One question that is almost shameful smile where are you connecting your monitors or cans?

I would love some feedback from you guys let me know what you think, thanks!

My musical interest?
I like music and my taste has alway been more on the side of the machines then the classical rock.
Probably the first synth I heard it, that make some impression on me was the music in the movies Lipstick and Clockwork Orange.

I grow up with all the classic! ELP, symphonic rock, Oldfield and Jarre, the punks and the new romantics, Krautrock, 808 State, Orbital, Stereolab, Post-Rock, industrial and the explosion of techno music and EDM I had work in a musical magazine and also I make, as a designer, a book about music records.
I prefer to discover something new then follow the charts.

I start to get interested in EM when I discover Modular on the Roof sessions, the guy with an Atlantis in a 44HP suitcase and also Federico Chiesa (Oora). r Beni, "Eternal" by POB and Look Mum No Computer. All of them very talented people.
luketeaford
Welcome!

I think you could get going with those racks, but don't forget you need some means to control the modular. So maybe you have some kind of external sequencer? Or are you going to just plug things in and go (playing by manual control only)?

I would get an 84hp case at minimum. You don't need to fill it all at once! Personally, I would lose the oscilloscope -- it's a really huge portion of your potential synth.

For synths this small, you might think about getting a semi-modular to start with like the Moog Mother 32 or Make Noise 0-Coast as a start. The advantage is these are complete voices, but still modular and playable. They typically come with some means of MIDI conversion so you can use it with other gear. The Mother 32 has a sequencer and a one octave button keyboard attached, so it's a really good start.
neonmercury1
i would echo luketeaford in saying take a step back, leave some room for expansion and maybe look to a complete voice. In fact the atlantis would be a good start as well as the ones mentioned above. give yourself some time to understand what your doing. and definitely would add an output module like intellijel or the make noise rosie.

if you want to see the waves and what your doing there are a host of cheap and good oscilloscopes that will do what you need without taking up precious rack space. Dont get me wrong tha data is sweet and it is much more than a scope but its overkill. if you can solder this is the kit i made and for 28$ its well worth it
https://www.amazon.com/JYETech-Source-Digital-Oscilloscope-pre-soldere d/dp/B0195ZIURK/ref=sr_1_2/145-2104615-0582665?ie=UTF8&qid=1494713862& sr=8-2&keywords=jyetech+oscilloscope

or buy a used dave jones otoole
LeRAW
luketeaford wrote:
Welcome!

I think you could get going with those racks, but don't forget you need some means to control the modular. So maybe you have some kind of external sequencer? Or are you going to just plug things in and go (playing by manual control only)?

I would get an 84hp case at minimum. You don't need to fill it all at once! Personally, I would lose the oscilloscope -- it's a really huge portion of your potential synth.

For synths this small, you might think about getting a semi-modular to start with like the Moog Mother 32 or Make Noise 0-Coast as a start. The advantage is these are complete voices, but still modular and playable. They typically come with some means of MIDI conversion so you can use it with other gear. The Mother 32 has a sequencer and a one octave button keyboard attached, so it's a really good start.

Thanks Luketeaford

I have been given a lot of thought about the 84HP the Moog and the 0-Coast. I decided to go for a more compact package and fully modular. I purchase already the Intellijel TPS30 MINI 9 x 8 x 2cm wich is perfect for 44 to 60. The other busboard are too long to feet a 60HP.

Yes, my intention is to "play by manual control".
Can I do that with the Erica or the Make Noise configuration? my favourites, or Is something missing?

Please let me know
nickbaba
Quote:
I will very slowly expand to an 84HP, maximum.

Good luck with that! thumbs up
LeRAW
neonmercury1 wrote:
i would echo luketeaford in saying take a step back, leave some room for expansion and maybe look to a complete voice. In fact the atlantis would be a good start as well as the ones mentioned above. give yourself some time to understand what your doing. and definitely would add an output module like intellijel or the make noise rosie.

if you want to see the waves and what your doing there are a host of cheap and good oscilloscopes that will do what you need without taking up precious rack space. Dont get me wrong tha data is sweet and it is much more than a scope but its overkill. if you can solder this is the kit i made and for 28$ its well worth it
https://www.amazon.com/JYETech-Source-Digital-Oscilloscope-pre-soldere d/dp/B0195ZIURK/ref=sr_1_2/145-2104615-0582665?ie=UTF8&qid=1494713862& sr=8-2&keywords=jyetech+oscilloscope

or buy a used dave jones otoole

Thank neonmercury1
I will not worry about expansion/rack space. I put my limit to 84HP I just want to star with something smaller.
I was also considering the Atlantis but as I was mentioned I decide for a fully modular approach.

I add Rosie to the Make Noise rack thanks, so now is a 60HP and without DATA is 44HP. I also found an Output for Erica and the others.
Thanks for the Oscilloscope link, interesting.
luketeaford
I don't think you're going to get as much of a playable surface out of these systems, but then again limitation breeds creativity. If I were sticking to 60hp of Make Noise, I would get two Maths, a Wogglebug, and an Optomix.

A reasonable configuration for most people might look like: Maths, Wogglebug, Telharmonic, Optomix, and Function. That combination of modules can give you enough to play with and would be easy to supplement with some external CV keyboard or sequencer. You could get some arpeggios/random sequences and interesting effects fairly easily.

Rosie seems to me out of place in such a small system -- not a lot of reason to use the send/return functionality.

I can't comment on the other systems cause I don't have personal experience with a lot of those modules.
junglll
for under $1000, I think you should really reconsider getting an atlantis....i kinda wish i had started with one. it's a fantastic sounding conventional synth on its own, and it seems like a really great starting point to expand from to whatever direction you want. if you could afford to get a maths + a korg sq 1 too you'd have a set up with tons of potential for fun music making
Dragonaut
I have to agree with those suggesting an Atlantis or other semi-modular. It really helps in the beggining when your limited on funds and space to get a lot of functionality out of one or two modules and helps you learn as you go. Modules these days can pack a lot of functionality in a small space and it helps to build one piece at a time. You will need an output module to get sound out to your monitors or headphones. Can't suggest one at the moment as I use expert sleepers hardware for that functionality.
euromorcego
LeRAW wrote:
Eventually, I will very slowly expand to an 84HP, maximum.

sure, that's what he said. hihi

so you have the power and the busboard. And you want to build the case yourself? Or how is this going to look like? With a 1u row ... if yes, you have to decide the compatibility (PulpLogic or Intellijel).

A 4u (3u + 1u row) and 84hp is not a bad size to start with. The 1u can handle a lot of utility.

As others have said: you still need some modules to "play" and modulate the system. You current ideas seem to lack this. Possible. But the result will be quite uninspiring. For example, in the intellijel case, there is no modulation, there is not even a mixer (besides the VCA). There is also no envelope or other way to modulate the amplitude.

I don't know to DATA and to what extend it can cover some of the modulation. To be able to see the waveforms is indeed a big help. But there are simpler/cheaper options available, like one of these small "toy" oscilloscopes. Not good for debugging digital circuits, but more than enough to visualize audio. Most work straight with eurorack (you need a BNC to minijack cable). Get a dual version, so you can compare signals.

Also, i have to echo other people: a semi-modular is a great way to start and to get some minimal set of modules. The problem with modular is that you typically need a critical mass of stuff before it gets interesting. And a semi, like the 0-coast or Atlantis, is a short cut. For example, the 0-coast already provides an midi interface and some randomness. Another shortcut is to get an input module and mangle some external gear (cheap drumboxes, etc ...).

Of the systems you posted, i like the MakeNoise best (but then you are back to the 0-coast). In the MakeNoise get rid of Clouds and add something else.
LeRAW
luketeaford
neonmercury1
junglll
Dragonaut

Thanks for your opinions I really appreciate your help but I think we go in a wrong direction. Perhaps my English.

Let me explain.

1_My concern about the rack setups I make in modulargrid.net was more about if I have the minimum modules necessaries to get some playability and to learn the basics.
IMPORTANT, learn the basics. VCO, VCA, EG, LFO.

2_ No external keyboard or sequencers. I will add a sequencer when I learn the basics, I love sequencers! Plenty modules sequencers for choose, from 3HP and up (Erica Pico SQ, Gatestorm, Metropolis…)

3_No semi-modules. Moog, 0-Noise, Atlantis.

4_Few words about Atlantis. I really like it and I went trough to all the reviews and manuals. Probably will be in my rack one day. But not now I want to start “staccato”.

In my setups I put a VCO, VCA, EG, LFO, VCF, Mixer (basically is what it is implemented in Atlantis).
Why my setups are not very “playable”?

luketeaford you say “I don't think you're going to get as much of a playable surface out of these systems” can you please explain me why not.
Already I think Maths is quite an advance module, to add a Telharmonic I don’t think will make my learning curve easier.

Rosie was for the output, suggested by neonmercury1 but I agree, the other functions are out of the place. I can find other outputs for 1U.

Look like you know Make-Noise. In my setup, I have a VCO a Filter, VCA, Mixer, EG, Attenuators, Function Generator, LFO I should be able to get some "decent noise". Perhaps to add a second STO?

Appreciate all your opinions, thank you!
junglll
i think these 'basic' systems you put together would really quickly turn into 'boring'
you're right in that they've got the absolutely necessary parts, but the sum total of them leaves you with way less musical potential than an atlantis or 0-coast. you'll have the very basics down probably sooner than you expect

you also really need a sequencer or keyboard or some kind of controller if you want your synth to do anything at all. if you're absolutely dead set on going with one of those systems you made, a pulplogic ribbon controller would fit the bill as one of the most rudimentary ways to control your synth
Dragonaut
Yeah, you'll definitely want a midi to cv converter or sequencer when you get started or you will only be able to make droning noises or i suppose you can twiddle the pitch knob on your vco by hand but I think that'll be cumbersome and old in no time. If that is not a concern then you are on the right track. An alternative would be to send an lfo through a quantizer to achieve some melodic content.
luketeaford
What I mean about having a small playable surface is the Rosie doesn't have much potential in that system because there's nothing that makes for a good send/return system and there aren't multiple sources to monitor really-- you could find a few patches but nothing that I think will be especially interesting.

If you have no sequencer or keyboard, pitch changes will have to be manual or using ch 1 or 4 of Maths. Same thing for amplitude. You could strike the optomix, but your only clock sources are the maths end of rise or end of cycle outputs. Suppose you want to use the sgate input -- you don't have a way to do it that isn't tied to the main voice in some way...
LeRAW
neonmercury1
luketeaford
euromorcego
Dragonaut

Now we are talking!

My setups are playable! but boring smile I will get sounds but my melodic possibilities will be limited.
Ok, I think I start to get it, something is missing.

Can someone please confirm this bellow.
So, what is missing is:
• Clock Generator! right? (if I don’t want to use an external source)
• Clock divider

To have more fun
• Sequencer
• Quantizer
• Mixer

I understand the CV Output function. But what is doing a Gate, what is the function? how did you use?

[quote="euromorcego"][quote="LeRAW"] "I don't know to DATA and to what extend it can cover some of the modulation..."

Speaking about DATA apart of being an advanced oscilloscope it's also a Clock Generator.
• Dual Clock Generator with Clock Division & Multiplication
• Dual Waveform Generator:
Two independent digital oscillator channels.
Waveforms: sine, square, saw, triangle.
CV assignable control over frequency (1V/Octave - over 8 octaves!) and amplitude (digital VCA)

Like always, I really appreciate the time you take in helping me, thanks!
Dragonaut
An example of using a gate would be sending a gate signal to an envelope generator to signify how long you want the envelope held open i.e. the length of the note.
obrienmedia
LeRAW wrote:
Hello everybody

Like I say before finally I take the plunge and to commit myself I bought an Intellijel TPS30 MINI bus board. This will be the beginning of my first Eurorack Modules (EM).

I have been looking around the last couple of month in forums, Youtube, reviews, modules producers, etc learning and discovering. But some feedback from you guys will be very valuable.

I have used all my 10 modulargrid.com racks extensively, changing the setups very often.
Finally, I get few options from 44HP to 60HP setup that I will like your opinion.

Without any musical background, starting small and slow is a must. I want to start with a more basic system and understand what I'm doing. The budget is small. Around $1000 for modules.

All the racks have the Oscilloscope DATA (16HP). I like the idea to visualise what is going on. If we remove the cost of DATA will be under $1000 (without power, rails and case). Eventually, I will very slowly expand to an 84HP, maximum.

Instead, to mix and match brands I opt for same modules brand
I have tried to go with basics. VCO, VCA, LFO, EG, Filter…

In order of preference
LeRAW 60 Erica. Alternative: Black VCO instead Black Wavetable VCO
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431055

LeRAW 60 Make Noise
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431249

LeRAW 60 Doepfer
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431245

LeRAW 60 Mutable Instruments
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/431768

LeRAW 44 Intellijel. Alternative: PLOG instead one Dixie II+
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432282

I forgot power will be on the side.
The 1U Will not be in use at the moment.

One question that is almost shameful smile where are you connecting your monitors or cans?

I would love some feedback from you guys let me know what you think, thanks!

My musical interest?
I like music and my taste has alway been more on the side of the machines then the classical rock.
Probably the first synth I heard it, that make some impression on me was the music in the movies Lipstick and Clockwork Orange.

I grow up with all the classic! ELP, symphonic rock, Oldfield and Jarre, the punks and the new romantics, Krautrock, 808 State, Orbital, Stereolab, Post-Rock, industrial and the explosion of techno music and EDM I had work in a musical magazine and also I make, as a designer, a book about music records.
I prefer to discover something new then follow the charts.

I start to get interested in EM when I discover Modular on the Roof sessions, the guy with an Atlantis in a 44HP suitcase and also Federico Chiesa (Oora). r Beni, "Eternal" by POB and Look Mum No Computer. All of them very talented people.

Thanks for the mention in your thread here. Cheers! (Been a while since I've been on MW.)
JohnLRice
obrienmedia wrote:

Thanks for the mention in your thread here. Cheers! (Been a while since I've been on MW.)
Exxxcellent
obrienmedia
JohnLRice wrote:
obrienmedia wrote:

Exxxcellent

d'oh! my post count is catching up to yours John
JohnLRice
obrienmedia wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
obrienmedia wrote:

Exxxcellent

d'oh! my post count is catching up to yours John
hihi But, I should spend less time posting on Muff's and more time composing so my music will catch up with the quality of yours! oops we're not worthy
amop
nickbaba wrote:
Quote:
I will very slowly expand to an 84HP, maximum.

Good luck with that! thumbs up

Amen... hihi
Azarius
I started my Eurorack journey with the Lifeforms SV-1 full voice and felt it was the best way to start out and sink my teeth into all the new concepts I was learning about.

You did mention no semi Modular’s so to complement your system I’d recommend Pamela’s New Workout. Clock source, clock divisions, LFOs, envelopes and more in only 8hp. The Disting is also a great bang for the buck where you can try out all different kinds of functions. It even has a midi breakout so you can connect a keyboard to it. Check them out... Personally I’d try to add these two modules to your system if you can.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1