MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise Skiff System
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Make Noise Skiff System
MrDef
Hello everyone!

I started modular few months ago and Im having a lot of fun with my DIY case, few modules from Intellijel, Make Noise and Mutable and a Beatstep pro.

I can feel how this is going hmmm..... and Im rethinking everything, as I don't want to end up with a big and expensive system. Mostly due to my job I gonna move often in the next few years...
I would like to limit my system to a Make Noise Skiff 104hp, something mostly based on Make Noise modules DPO + Optomix + Maths
And playable without other sequencer, like an independent instrument.
I guess a bit like a small Music Easel.

Here was my first idea
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/438388

Then I discovered the WMD Arpitecht and Triad, I didn't fully understand the module but I thought that could be interesting with a 3rd oscilator (STO)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/448991

Can't wait to get your thoughts and advices!
norde
I like them both!
Sure there is lot to do with an 104hp skiff nowadays but I think that I tend to like the first one!
richc90
+1 for the first option, though you might want a small clock divider (RCD, say) to get the most out of the switch.
BonJoey
richc90 wrote:
+1 for the first option, though you might want a small clock divider (RCD, say) to get the most out of the switch.

agreed with the clock divider. if you need to make room for one, you can probably find a smaller random source than the wogglebug (nano rand or something along those lines).
MrDef
Thanks for the RCD advice!
For the same hp I don't mind taking out Disting, even if it does a lot Im not a big fan of menu diving and I put it there just because was 4hp left
luketeaford
I would take the first option. You might not need a dedicated clock divider module-- the gate outputs of brains can do that for you, and so can Maths.
The Junglechrist
First option seems better to me also.
justintonation
I have something very similar to the first option, also in a makenoise skiff. I would go for the first build too (I almost did hihi ).
MrDef
Thanks for your advices, Im sticking to the first plan!

Now im just hesitating between Maths and PEG...

Any recommendations on wich one will interact better with the other modules in this small system?
amop
Never used PEG but love my Maths - extremely versatile. Always a new use for it I find.
MrDef
So I finally choose the Nano Rand over the Wogglebug, wich leaves 6hp space.

I had a uVCA for sale so I added it in these 6hp left, I quite enjoy using more outs of the DPO. But does it makes sens having both Optomix and uVCA in such a small system?
Would a uVCF be more interesting? Other ideas?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/438388
sackley
Personal preference. I would stick with mostly MN. Maths and ModDemix over PEG and uVCA. I couldn't get into the tempo based aspect of the PEG, though it is cool and I understand why people like it. And having a Ring Mod for the DPO is great. Check out that old MN youtube video of the ModDemix if you haven't seen it.

Looks like a fun system! Maybe consider 6u x 84hp to have a little more rack space without feeling cumbersome? I like that size, as it feels more patchable in use, but not as large as 2 rows of 104 hp.
MrDef
Thanks for the advices!

Despite the fact that it's less in my original idea of a "Make Noise's Buchla inspired skiff", I really like the PEG.

I really like the idea of the Moddemix, brings more diversity of sound out of the DPO, gonna get one!

I find the Make Noise Skiff perfect size, for my wallet, to carry arround or to play on the sofa Mr. Green
franckdw
MrDef wrote:
Here was my first idea

I know this is a bit old but the link is broken and I would be curious to know what the first idea was as I am on a similar path!
Zymos
I have a MN Skiff system, except I have 3 of them (and 2 208HP cases too).
franckdw
Zymos wrote:
I have a MN Skiff system, except I have 3 of them

What modules do they have?

Thanks!
mentalskragma
Great ideas.

My planning on my first Make Noise Skiff:

So...
What do you think about this polyphonic setup? $2.500.

Sound idea: Bells, FM chords, Twisted Elephants Screams, Full Power bass synths... Deep Techno.

Anything better than Polyend Poly 2??

Anything more detailed, crisp, versatile than Instruo Cs-L Complex VCO??

Anything cheaper, smaller and more versatile than Expert Sleepers Dinsting Mk4??

Anything more powerful than QMMG Filter/VCA/LPG??? (low end punch, organic saturation and beautiful resonance)

For the modulations, anything more versatile than MATH??

Any POLY VCO more compact and better source sound than QUANIC??

Do I need anything indispensable that is not there??? for polyphonic "almost like DX7 chords", would you change anything?

IMPORTANT PS: It has to be BLACK COLORED MODULES kkkkkkkkk

And do I need a mixer on this setup?? (QMMG can be the mixer??)
versipellis
mentalskragma wrote:
Great ideas.

My planning on my first Make Noise Skiff:

So...
What do you think about this polyphonic setup? $2.500.

Sound idea: Bells, FM chords, Twisted Elephants Screams, Full Power bass synths... Deep Techno.

Anything better than Polyend Poly 2??

Anything more detailed, crisp, versatile than Instruo Cs-L Complex VCO??

Anything cheaper, smaller and more versatile than Expert Sleepers Dinsting Mk4??

Anything more powerful than QMMG Filter/VCA/LPG??? (low end punch, organic saturation and beautiful resonance)

For the modulations, anything more versatile than MATH??

Any POLY VCO more compact and better source sound than QUANIC??

Do I need anything indispensable that is not there??? for polyphonic "almost like DX7 chords", would you change anything?

IMPORTANT PS: It has to be BLACK COLORED MODULES kkkkkkkkk

And do I need a mixer on this setup?? (QMMG can be the mixer??)

Man, you're really going at it with the questions.

"Better" and "power" are incredibly subjective terms - it might help us help you if you defined both a little better.

Having some commentary on how you plan to patch this might help too. Not sure why you need a second voice with the Cs-L. Are you trying to go full, proper polyphony, or paraphony? If the former, you'll need a filter and a VCA per voice, which I'm not seeing how you're going to do since the QMMG has 4 channels to allocate between filter or VCA for this purpose. I'd suggest replacing the Cs-L.
versipellis
mentalskragma wrote:
Great ideas.

Also, lmao, I just noticed - you hijacked someone else's thread.

gg.
mentalskragma
versipellis wrote:
mentalskragma wrote:
Great ideas.

gg.

The idea is to make this thread more informative instead of opening another "what do you think about my setup". A well planned Skiff is the main reason of this thread.

About your idea for taking Cs-L out is because I should put more VCA or more Filters? I didn't understand, I'm just a beginner. My idea is to start a polyphonic analog west side synth. As I don't have the money to buy 4 vca 4 filters and 4 vco, I want just to start slowly. The next step would be buying another Skiff Rack to put more 3 complex VCOs with 3 VCA.

I was not thinking about having 4 filters for each voice because Additive synth can make "closed" timbers without them... What do you think would be a better option to put on the Cs-L space?? (Thinking about this west side analog polyphonic future expansion)
versipellis
mentalskragma wrote:
versipellis wrote:
mentalskragma wrote:
Great ideas.

gg.

The idea is to make this thread more informative instead of opening another "what do you think about my setup". A well planned Skiff is the main reason of this thread.

About your idea for taking Cs-L out is because I should put more VCA or more Filters? I didn't understand, I'm just a beginner. My idea is to start a polyphonic analog west side synth. As I don't have the money to buy 4 vca 4 filters and 4 vco, I want just to start slowly. The next step would be buying another Skiff Rack to put more 3 complex VCOs with 3 VCA.

I was not thinking about having 4 filters for each voice because Additive synth can make "closed" timbers without them... What do you think would be a better option to put on the Cs-L space?? (Thinking about this west side analog polyphonic future expansion)

A polyphonic synth has a filter and VCA for each voice. If it doesn't, it's paraphonic.
mentalskragma
versipellis wrote:

A polyphonic synth has a filter and VCA for each voice. If it doesn't, it's paraphonic.

Yes I know... but I dont have the money yet so the idea is to start slowly with some 1 good VCO west cost style + versatile VCA/DCO/Filter than I would buying more and more modules...
Dont know if MI Plaits would be more versatile than Quadnic??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1