MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Load boxes, impulse responses, etc...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Load boxes, impulse responses, etc...
Sinamsis
So I have a baby coming any day now, and I've come to terms with the fact that I won't be able to play through a cabinet for a while. I recently snagged one of my long desired heads (Orange Rockerverb 50, thanks Silikon!) and rather than buy a cab for it I decided to get a load box for jamming and recording. I've tried other options for "silently" playing and recording guitar, including going DI into my Hi-Z interface on my Apollo, and using a Mesa Rectifier Recording preamp, both with some disappointment. So I started researching load boxes, and ended up with a Rivera Mini RockRec since it had variable impedance settings and over all higher rating to handle both my Rockerverb and my SVT Pro II. I plugged it in yesterday and gave it a spin for about an hour and immediately I was much more pleased with the results. In my research, I also came across boxes like the Two Notes Torpedo series which lead me to reading about impulse responses. I came close to getting a Torpedo Live or Studio, but in the end I didn't because it was significantly more expensive, and couldn't handle the SVT. Also, the price was essentially equal to a Kemper Profiler, so I thought I might be better of snagging one of those down the line.

So who out there is doing something similar? Anyone have experience with the Torpedo line, or something like it? Any opinions on IR hardware/software (I'm going to try out the Two Notes software I think)? Is it a bunch of voodoo, or is it legit?
Metatarsals
I've not really tried out any of the cab simulators which have impulse responses like the Two Notes, but having created a load of impulse responses for use as reverbs, I can see how it would work. I'm surprised that many of the software emulators seem so unconvincing.

I've tried recording Amp > Loadbox/Attenuator > TLA 5051 > IO > Cab Sim plugin, and it has never really worked out for me, and I think the problem is a lack of physical speaker cabinet. The speakers I tend to use, and I think this is true of most, add a certain amount of compression to the overall signal.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Torpedo software, when you get around to trying it out...
Sinamsis
I'll let you guys know when I give it a shot. Things have been a little hectic this week. Ha, it very well could be that I have an undiscerning ear. I'm a little more particular about my clean sounds, and I found most things I tried left the guitar feeling dull and lifeless. With the MiniRockRec, I feel like I still get the sparkle from the head. I do find that a subtle reverb helps a lot as it gives it a little more "natural" of a sound to my ears. I still get a nice response to playing dynamics.

I've found most amp simulation plugins did a decent distorted sound, but I always found the clean very lack luster. I think my favorite amp plugin I tried was Positive Grid Bias. The UAD amp sims aren't bad either.

What plugins specifically have you used?

On a side note, I was watching some videos of the Kemper Profiler. One demo the guy was switching between his small tube combo and the Kemper after "profiling" that amp. It was actually pretty convincing. I did, however, notice that when he switched from his Strat to his Telecaster, the Kemper did not sound as convincing at times. Which makes me wonder if for some reason or another, some guitars may be more suited to this application than others. Not sure if it's body or neck composition, pickup types, whatever. Of course I have no real evidence of this, just something I was wondering.
Sinamsis
So I just downloaded Two Notes Wall of Sound and started the trial. Played for about an hour through the clean channel of my Rockerverb. I really like it. Again, maybe I don't have the most discerning ear, but it sounds pretty good to me. Again, it's early to tell, and I'm not sure what the price is for a license, but I dig it so far.
Metatarsals
Sinamsis wrote:
So I just downloaded Two Notes Wall of Sound and started the trial. Played for about an hour through the clean channel of my Rockerverb. I really like it. Again, maybe I don't have the most discerning ear, but it sounds pretty good to me. Again, it's early to tell, and I'm not sure what the price is for a license, but I dig it so far.

Might give the trial a bash over the summer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1