MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Subsequent 37
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Moog Subsequent 37
billyk419
Haven't seen a thread for this yet, but it is quite exciting. I've been on the fence about the Sub 37 for over a year now. This might seal the deal...

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/announcing-subsequent-37-cv

EDIT: did not see this would be a limited run hmmm.....
DMR
It seems to be more expensive than the Sub 37 ($1800 street vs. $1500 street). Are the few upgrades are worth the cost? It seems a bit bizarre to me to release such a marginally upgraded product, since it's the kind of thing that annoys buyers of the original version.
Flareless
I'm really hopeful (but doubtful) that there will be an upgrade kit available for all us long-time, loyal Sub 37 users.

I just posted the question on the Moog forum. Stay Tuned....
fnordboy
Flareless wrote:
I'm really hopeful (but doubtful) that there will be an upgrade kit available for all us long-time, loyal Sub 37 users.

Would love to hear this be true. (but like you I doubt it)

I love my Sub 37, I can not afford to drop 1800 on a new one without selling this one... which I do not want to do. So my only option is going to be some kind of upgrade kit.
Oblivion
At first I was very frustrating that I've somewhat recently, FINALLY, bought a Sub 37 and now this comes out, but for the ? Nah, I'm good.

nanners

Nice for the folks who can swing it.
xthrasherx
DMR wrote:
It seems to be more expensive than the Sub 37 ($1800 street vs. $1500 street). Are the few upgrades are worth the cost? It seems a bit bizarre to me to release such a marginally upgraded product, since it's the kind of thing that annoys buyers of the original version.

Couldn't agree more. I really wish my Sub 37 played with my modular, so I am happy to see they are making a change, but it doesn't really help me at all at this point.
thevegasnerve
Looks like some nice improvements to the Sub37.
ludotex
I got my sub37 a few month ago and I love it, but I really like this version better. I would have got this one if it was available. Hoping for an upgradable version.
I especially like the headroom added to the mixer, sounds like you'll be able to make even crazier sounds with it: Rockin' Banana!
Quote:

The SUBSEQUENT 37 CV’s mixer now has double the headroom of the Sub 37 Tribute Edition. Taking advantage of the mixer’s newfound flexibility, the gain-staging of the Ladder filter has been reshaped to boost harmonic saturation and analog compression. Completing the sonic evolution is a re-tuned Multidrive circuit that extends well beyond the grit and growl of the original Sub 37.
exoreality
At first I was confused because it looked like it was dropping midi support.seriously, i just don't get it But now I've realized the CV outs are on the opposite side of the unit.
rowsbywoof
Sub 37 owner here, as well. Love the additions to the Subsequent, but not enough to sell my Sub 37. Looks cool, though. I too would have picked this model and paid the couple hundred premium had it been available when I got mine.
EPTC
DMR wrote:
Are the few upgrades are worth the cost?

I'm not picking up a sub37 in either format, but how are six assignable cv/gate outputs considered few upgrades? I'd think that's pretty wonderful.

I'm understanding things correctly that you can apply the cv from any configurable option, or am I wrong? that sounds pretty lovely to make the sub37 into a really ass kicking cv controller/generator.
motormenace
....and probably still won't have the tempo displayed for the sequencer in the LCD....
EPTC
Ah, I'm seeing in this thread https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137757&sid=7561a8067 8cf9faf074f0e60baf10097 that you can already assign the one CV out in the new firmware of the normal sub37 - that's interesting.

One thing that does occur to me though is I wonder how robust those outputs might be for eurorack. Moog gate CV might need to be amplified to 10v (from 5v) to properly gate trigger some modular pieces. But I do love the look of the upgrade with multiple outs; I'd bite on it if I weren't saving cash for another item.
paramnesia
Sub37 Tribute Edition does not have CV OUT, only CV IN

EPTC wrote:
Ah, I'm seeing in this thread https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137757&sid=7561a8067 8cf9faf074f0e60baf10097 that you can already assign the one CV out in the new firmware of the normal sub37 - that's interesting.
EPTC
A genuine huge announcement from Moog would be a desktop version of the Sub 37. I just can't add another keyboard to my room without looking like a thrift store hoarder to visitors. If they added the cv upgrades to a desktop module, it'd be an amazing piece. The Slim was such a masterpiece - Totally has outlived the LP in appearance and utility. Once you start to get multiple synths, the keyboard becomes a total add-on, like shark fins on a car that takes up space and gets in the way; If moog's listening, I'd even pay more (or equal price) to not have a keyboard.

Why do they not offer more modules of these things?
EPTC
paramnesia wrote:
Sub37 Tribute Edition does not have CV OUT, only CV IN

Oh, thank you! That resets my thinking this is a great upgrade, then. Appreciated.
Nightly Closures
If I didn't already have and love the sub37, this would be a no brainer...
Leescan
this does look good for interfacing with modular, but doesn't the original have some cv stuff? i thought it did? also has this new one lost usb? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sub 37 ( i still the original looks better ) and i liked the idea of using directly with Ableton (usb ) when not using the modular
needspeed
From GC site - Nothing lost and something gained that I can tell from the below

New Features
Sound engine evolution – greater sonic dimension
More multidrive – wider range and dirtier than ever before
Room for two - more headroom means duo mode sounds even better
6 assignable outputs – modular connectivity with 4x cv outs and 2x gate outs
Upgraded keybed – lightweight with swift action, velocity and aftertouch
High-power headphone amp – cue up your next sound in the loudest of venues.
Limited edition -- 125 units produced worldwide

SPECIFICATIONS
Type: Programmable paraphonic analog synthesizer
Sound engine: 100% analog
Number of keys: 37
Type of keys: Semi-weighted with after pressure
Controllers: Pitch bend, mod wheel, after pressure, velocity
Polyphony: Selectable monophonic or duophonic
Sound sources: 2 variable waveshape oscillators, 1 square wave sub oscillator, 1 analog noise
Generator, 1 external input/filter feedback
Oscillator calibration range: 22hz-6.8khz. Guaranteed note range at 8’ of note 18 to 116
Mod sources: Triangle, square, saw, ramp, sample & hold, filter eg/pgm
Mod destinations: Osc 1 pitch, osc 2, osc 1 & 2 pitch, filter, lfo rate, vca level, osc 1 wave, Osc 2
Wave, Osc 1 & 2 wave, noise level, eg time, and programmable destinations
Filter: 20hz-20khz moog ladder filter w/ 6/12/18/24 db/oct filter slopes and multidrive
Audio input: 1xts
Audio output: 1xts, 1xtrs headphone
Presets: 256 presets - 16 banks, 16 patches per bank
Midi I/O: Din in, out, and midi over usb
CV/Gate inputs: Filter cv, pitch cv, volume cv, kb gate
CV/Gate outputs: 4x assignable cv and 2x assignable gate
Transposition: +/- 2 octaves
Lfo: 0.01hz - 1000hz
Weight: 22lbs / 10kg
Dimensions: 6.75 h x 26.375 w x 14.75 in.
Input voltage: 100 vac - 240 vac / 50 - 60 hz / 13w
dComposer
When I first got the email from Moog, I read it as there being a new Sub [with] 37 CV in/out (like the m32). All the black dots under the controls got me even more excited. Then I saw the 6 CV/Gate in/out on the side and heard sad, muted trumpet sounds. How cool would that have been though?
Jehos
Yeah, I'd be way more excited if there were lots of patch points. Any idea what "assignable" CV outs are? Like what sorts of things can you assign?
latigid on
dComposer wrote:
When I first got the email from Moog, I read it as there being a new Sub [with] 37 CV in/out (like the m32). All the black dots under the controls got me even more excited. Then I saw the 6 CV/Gate in/out on the side and heard sad, muted trumpet sounds. How cool would that have been though?

Hehe, I had the same thought! "Wow, they added VCAs and CV outs, and you can now use the Sub37 as a semi-modular."
billyk419
Jehos wrote:
Yeah, I'd be way more excited if there were lots of patch points. Any idea what "assignable" CV outs are? Like what sorts of things can you assign?

Im assuming 1v/Oct, ADSR, velocity, aftertouch, lfo's, mod wheel?

Honestly kind of surprised Moog didn't detail that out a little more. I'm sure we'll get videos and demos in the next couple days thumbs up
Jehos
I kinda figured something like that since two outputs are gates.

Weird that they baked in the ability to use the keyboard as a controller and charged all that extra for it. You could keep your current Sub 37 and spend the price difference on a MIDI module for your rack. Then you could use your Sub 37 as a controller, or any other controller you like.
SteeVtheRipper
With this close in price to the Matrix Brute what would you rather have?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6