MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modules for Dark Ambient, Industrial, Drone & Noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Modules for Dark Ambient, Industrial, Drone & Noise
hitchy96
I experiment with electro-acoustic sound design, field recordings, the modular and stringed instruments.

naturally make really dark ambient, hypnotising, industrial & experimental tracks (not particularly a dark person but I find that darkness is actually quite uplifting) sometimes I fuse this with experimental techno (too many people confuse real techno with tech-house or just a kick and some hats)

Looking for help suggestions for the more darker modules (or module signal-chain) as it seems every tutorial I watch is filled with that awful bleepy blop sound and sometimes I think most modules sound the same. Although I understand its all about how you patch but i've watched hours & hours of videos and read loads of reviews and nobody seems to experiment in the darker realms of modular synthesis (IF YOUVE HEARD OF SAMUEL KERRIDGE OR THE HAXAN CLOAK) then I think you'll take my post into consideration. Just looking to focus my modular to be as dark as possible, scary slow evolving hurricanes of sound design, can be clocked but also not clocked, eerie tones, distorted rythmic noise etc, infused techno, dark ambient. Tracks that literally tear out your soul.

My current setup in my rack is a Doepfer a-119, Mutable Clouds, Disting MK3, Make Noise Rosie, Mutable Veils

Below are some links to reference my area of the industry. (really awesome work)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iBaQrDW544
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXScUrunfKM&list=PL82wWESj32kbNk7mpinf 6_dBlLjacU-Gp
xthrasherx
There is honestly a lot of ways you can get to the sound you want, but fx units like delays and reverbs will go a long way to help you get there in the modular world. Units like Flight of Harmony's the Sound of Shadows is a good example for a delay. DSP based reverb units would be useful.

As for your current rack, you'll want more modulation sources to really make clouds come alive. CV mixers to combine modulation into something more interesting, something like an Intellijel Planar for combining sound sources, and probably some more VCOs (depending on how much you want the modular to do vs your other instruments / workflow).

This is pretty generic advice though. As I said earlier, there are many approaches you can take.

Here is what my rack has morphed into, being primarily used for dark ambient / noise / black industrial type of stuff.

Foghorn
I just listened to some SAMUEL KERRIDGE and it immediately reminded me of Mysteron and maybe Telharmonic.
There is a Mysteron thread here on muffs.

Mysteron Clang track on Youtube

Mysteron thread

Telharmonic Thread

But quite a few wavetable oscillators can make that sort of dark sound that you are talking about, like the Braids for one.
Braids is the only wavetable Oscillator that I have (well soon Tides as I suddenly want to firmware it) so I have no other frame of reference as far as wavetable VCO's.

I just listened to the second link posted (Samuel Kerridge) and that Mysteron Clang track at the same time and it sounded like a single song woah

Anyway, just a starting point.
Foghorn

If anyone is upset about me linking your Youtube material, please PM me and I will pull the links.
monoscan
I use my Eurorack setup for industrial stuff [https://glitchmoderecordings.bandcamp.com/]

I love my Subcon Vampire and Voicetail for getting those LFO'd out VCOs and screaming filters. Those are fun. Most of what makes Cyanotic industrial though is thick bass / leads, cool samples and lots of percussion, so not necessarily something we achieve with a modular setup.

I'd totally get a spring reverb and that Tiptop sampler unit thing. I bet those would be fun to have to make industrial sounds.
He_lium
Field rec, dark ambient, xperimental, drone are also my stuff. To sculpt sound i often use a resonant equalizer (Serge R*S), filter (Multifilter), sine or triangle of Hertz Donut + Triatt + Batumi + Triplewavefolder, reverbs ( A-199, Erbe_verb), polyvalent delay (Echophon), Mikrophonie, also Phonogene + Radio Music. I write while listening Excavation...
trickness
Noise Engineering.
sihiL
I'm heavily into industrial music. Wavefolders and audio rate modulation are great for a lot of things, but I think it really comes down to patching. Recently I've really enjoyed the WMD Aperture, but I'm still really deep in the honeymoon phase. The highpass-lowpass combo is a classic for a reason. Warps is also a lot of fun, especially with Parasites, but it requires a bit of delving into.

I like doing weird metallic percussion stuff and really, really rich, huge bass sounds that feel like they're right on the verge of ripping one's head off. I'm working on some industrial techno as a side project, where I'll probably showcase my modular stuff more.

As they say, your patch is only as interesting as your modulation, and I think it also affects how dark something sounds. I mean, I know some of the voices I patch could just as well be used for dubstep or EDM, but the way I'm using them sounds way darker. It's kind of like the same chuggy distorted sound can be used in a wider variety of guitar based genres. What I'm saying is that modulation sources and VCAs can take you far even with simple voices, if you have the patience to learn to patch. It's not just about timbre.
Hovercraft
Listening to that Haxan Cloak album, a few needs jump out.

Erbe-Verb - I don't think you can have too many verbs, and EV is highly parameterized--so great for experimental stuff. But you're gonna need at least one more, since EV is more of a mid-chain effect when you start modulating it heavily.

Multimode filter--You need a band-pass to get that lo-fi action on some of your voices. Some other lo-fi modules would be great--maybe lo-fi junky?

Sampler/looper - Either Phonogene or Morphagene to snatch up bits of your voices and loop/morph them. Phonogene is mainly lo-fi, but Morphagene is more flexible.

Loquelic Iteritas--Our ancestors worked in factories and got to listen to these sounds all day for free, but we can still pay for the privilege.

Elements--A physical modeling module is awesome for percussive and sound design elements. Rings might work, but beware of its melodic nature.
kwaidan
If you run a search for Haxan, you'll find he is apparently a member of this forum.

Here's a link to his rack:

Haxan Cloak on Modular Grid

The search will pull up a couple of threads that may be of interest.

I find the Serge Res EQ is great for field recordings and other stuff that you want to make atmospheric.

I would also suggest a noise source, perhaps even two: one basic and one innovative (Dunst, the new Hexinverter module, etc.).

Lots of modulation would also help.
spacezignul
Im also into dark experimental industrial sounds and I'm putting together this case with that in mind

mind

On another case I'll add a erbeverb for sure but for the time being I use Blackhole from Eventide which is great
spacezignul
Also my reference for this sort of sounds at the moment is a band called OAKE, worth checking out, and of course Samuel Kerridge is great, im seeing him live next week smile
mwx1010
Foghorn wrote:
I just listened to some SAMUEL KERRIDGE and it immediately reminded me of Mysteron and maybe Telharmonic.
There is a Mysteron thread here on muffs.

That was going to be my exact call. Telharmonic through an interesting filter and then an overdriven VCA channel and some reverb will get you right there. Add in some Mysteron clangs and pops and you're off to the races.
hitchy96
spacezignul wrote:
Also my reference for this sort of sounds at the moment is a band called OAKE, worth checking out, and of course Samuel Kerridge is great, im seeing him live next week smile
Aw yeah I love Oake as well, everything they make is class!. whaaat no way, that'll be wicked, I take it you like Raime and Blackest Ever Black? if not, you're welcome cool zombie
hitchy96
[quote="spacezignul"]Also my reference for this sort of sounds at the moment is a band called OAKE, worth checking out, and of course Samuel Kerridge is great, im seeing him live next week smile
Geaux
For chaotic ambient noise and industrial stuff I'd look at anything by the harvest man I forget what they rebranded to, and the Benjolin
xthrasherx
Geaux wrote:
For chaotic ambient noise and industrial stuff I'd look at anything by the harvest man I forget what they rebranded to, and the Benjolin

Harvestman is now "Industrial Music Electronics" thumbs up
Outtatune
Loving this thread for the links and artist references! Listening to OAKE now and WOW!

Anyway... I try to do dark ambient sometimes and the Erica Black Wavetable comes in handy. The way it interpolates between wavetables is nice and if modulated correctly can pierce through to your bone marrow.

IMHO samples are important for the genre. For sample playback in the rack the Tip Top ONE was a major disappointment for reliable sample selection via CV, and the Radio Music is a bit limited. I love my Pico Drums and load my own samples on it but it is mono and 12 bit so I use it for lofi perc only.

If you are OK to go outside the rack and still keep it hardware, look at the Octatrack. My latest thing is to create samples using field recordings/modular recordings/commercial samples/whatever and prep them in Audition for use in the Octatrack in my modular+Octatrack sets.

Be forewarned that getting intimate with the Octatrack is not for the faint hearted. We are still only dating and its a wild ride.
Bataserpa
I strongly suggest you to get a module to interface with pedals, such PH Inout or ALM S.b.g, it will give you much more flexibility for your sounds.

I think eurorack, and modular in general, does not have so much great effects compared with pedals for guitar and bass.

Get an eventide space will guide you to the dark and atmospheric world
hawkfuzz
Industrial Music Electronics is great for this stuff. I'd recommend watching some demos of the Hertz Donut. That with a lot of CV sources can be damaging. Their modules are meant for this kind of stuff.
starthief
hitchy96 wrote:
not particularly a dark person but I find that darkness is actually quite uplifting

Same. Guinness ftw!

I wouldn't call it a must-have, but I find Synchrodyne incredible. Layers on layers on layers of weirdness, and sounds and textures that nothing else is going to make, at least not on purpose. grin In the general class of sounds it makes, there's some overlap with Loquelic or Hertz Donut, but the processing of getting there is unique.
mwx1010
One way of patching stuff for this kind of thing is to run a sound source into a fixed filter bank like the FxDf, pull out the lowest 2-3 bands and then mix between them with a slow LFO. It can even make Rings sound doom-laden.
cocco88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMug0f-FB-A
mortal3
spacezignul wrote:

https://youtu.be/NW-oJ-pbZpU

Check this secret thirteen mix out... I play this nearly every other day, a constant source of inspiration... I aspire to create the type of atmosphere you mention also, playing with loquelic, piston Honda mk2, ripples Comes in to play for dialing stuff right back, clouds, a reflex for messing vocal samples right up an eventide space in subtle doses...
hitchy96
Bataserpa wrote:
I strongly suggest you to get a module to interface with pedals, such PH Inout or ALM S.b.g, it will give you much more flexibility for your sounds.

I think eurorack, and modular in general, does not have so much great effects compared with pedals for guitar and bass.

Get an eventide space will guide you to the dark and atmospheric world
I think effects pedals are a lot more flexible, thanks for the suggestion, yes the eventide space looks awesome and also the blue sky hihi
hyena
as you already have clouds you might want to try the parasite alternative firmware that adds a couple of things including OLIVERB , a reverb inspired by erbe-verb (but totally different in sound). you can cv almost every parameter and if you put size to its minimum and decay time to its max you can have it behaving like a resonator, then you can filter it (inside the module) and modulate the size for heavy metallic feedback sounds.
and obviously use it as a classic digital reverb.
i suggest also a spring reverb, totally different sound. a spring and a digital reverb together are top notch for ominous ambience. i have already posted a couple of times that i love to have them crossfeedbacking on each other (i put them on the aux sends of my mixer and send them to one another, infinite ambience awaits smile )

i also recommend the tyme sefari mk2 as a lofi sampler\delay\recorder. you can really do crazy stuff with it. coupled with the clouds in granular mode and hitting it with modulations and gates is really something. it has that harvestman digital trashy sound that you either love or hate (i love it) but you can also filter out some of the digital harshness if you want.

as for vcos i'm crazy about dual complex (got dpo, hertz donut mk1 and hertz donut mk2), they also need a lot of modulations and sublety to reach their full potential. while the analog ones (dpo, verbos co, furthurr, jerk etc...) are more organic and have a better sounding waveshaper the digital ones like the donuts have excellent fm with or without tracking between carrier and modulator.

maths is another one i strongly suggest because you can use it for so many things, including using it as a vco (really great sounding for drones if you are not too concerned with tuning it, it doesn't track 1v/oct on his own).

my latest add is the foh plague bearer, its a bit hard to find his sweet spots and they heavily depend on what you feed it but its great for nasty distortions.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3