Is Moog Model 15 worth it , why ?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:56 pm

No, I didn’t get the keyboard. I’m hoping to be able to use the one I have with my dot com system. I’m told that, with the proper S trig cables, it will work. If it doesn’t, then I’ll probably get the 953. That will be an ergonomic issue for my space.

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:13 pm

Esample9 wrote:No, I didn’t get the keyboard. I’m hoping to be able to use the one I have with my dot com system. I’m told that, with the proper S trig cables, it will work. If it doesn’t, then I’ll probably get the 953. That will be an ergonomic issue for my space.
I believe your going to need the Moog Voltage to Switch Trigger Cable .
I don't think you can trigger the VCA with out them not sure .
https://www.synthesizers.com/qmvs.html

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:44 am

Analog Music wrote:
Esample9 wrote:No, I didn’t get the keyboard. I’m hoping to be able to use the one I have with my dot com system. I’m told that, with the proper S trig cables, it will work. If it doesn’t, then I’ll probably get the 953. That will be an ergonomic issue for my space.
I believe your going to need the Moog Voltage to Switch Trigger Cable .
I don't think you can trigger the VCA with out them not sure .
https://www.synthesizers.com/qmvs.html
Yeah, that’s the ones I have.

Skotchi
Common Wiggler

Post by Skotchi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Just a public service announcement: if anyone is still looking for a Model 15, Analogue Haven appear to have one:

http://analoguehaven.com/moogmusic/model15/
"Now that you’ve found another key,
what are you going to play?"

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Took delivery of the Model 15 today. Everything seems to work fine. However, though the s-trig cables work, the 921s are not tracking the dot com keyboard accurately. As you play up the scale, the tones become progressively flatter. After a couple of octaves, the error is almost a semi-tone. Anyone have any ideas what the problem/fix might be? Thanks.

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am

check the dotcom output as a voltage... if you are not getting 1V per Octave in the keyboard output CV, then the 921s are tracking an incorrect reference perfectly.

if the keyboard is giving a good V/Oct output, then speak to Moog on Osc calibration.

Good luck!
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:22 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I did check the voltages coming from the .com kybd. They are within tolerances. I will continue to investigate. Very puzzling though.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Esample9 wrote:As you play up the scale, the tones become progressively flatter.
Sorry for the daft suggestion, but are you having the issue in the context of the voice or from oscillator's output itself? When I read the sentence, I wondered if you were hearing the filter dulling the tone at its cutoff. Otherwise, seems like vco calibration time. :waah:

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:36 pm

One other thing to try; the 921 (integrated OSC) to see if it plays in tune by itself. If it's off by the same margin, then all of your OSCs are probably improperly calibrated or (most likely), it's the keyboard voltage drooping on you.

Also, have you tried the left 921b versus the right 921b? When tuned together at a lower bass note, do they track identically up the scale?

One other thing to try is to set the 921 into LFO mode and use it to drive the ~1-2 octaves of voltage, the pair of 921b's. With the 921a sitting stagnant at a base frequency voltage, a slow ramping sine wave as offset into each 921b should also scale similarly without detune.

Point is, you need to determine if the 921a is out of tune or if just one of the 921b's are out or both.

If a recalibrate is necessary, it's a "shame on Moog" moment. I had a few gripes about my Model 15 delivery but that was years ago (my serial number is in the 20-30 range).

EDIT: Also, you say "dot com" keyboard controller. Which is it? The old model or the newer Midi only version and if so, what are you using for a Midi->CV controller?
Beware of programmers with screwdrivers...

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Wow, EMwhite, that was a very comprehensive, and much appreciated, answer. I have tried most all those things and finally realized the problem. It was a stupid thing on my part. Definitely not on Moog. The cable I was using for pitch control wasn’t long enough, so I had an extension on it. That was the problem. I still don’t know why, but when I tried a longer cable, problem solved! I’m sorry I troubled you, and Gerhard, and James from .com. You have all been very helpful and I appreciate it greatly. Now I must go stand in the corner and feel foolish for awhile.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Esample9 wrote: finally realized the problem. It was a stupid thing on my part. Definitely not on Moog. The cable I was using for pitch control wasn’t long enough, so I had an extension on it. That was the problem. I still don’t know why, but when I tried a longer cable, problem solved!Now I must go stand in the corner and feel foolish for awhile.
I'm glad you got things sorted out! :tu: Don't feel too bad, I've lost count of the times I assumed a module was defective only to realize later the problem was just with something I was or wasn't doing. :doh: :hihi:

So, why would a particular cable or cable extension cause poor tracking? I would guess things like poor/dirty contacts or very thin and/or failing wire causing excessive resistance? Or maybe the cable design had a high level of capacitance, although I'm totally guessing on that one. :hmm:

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Nope. Don’t need it. The .com kybd is working for me. BTW, the 15 is awesome. I’d buy another one

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jvt » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:37 pm

Agree! The Model 15 is awesome. The one thing I do wish I had is a 904b High Pass Filter. Right now the only way to get one would be to buy a System 35 or IIIp. I so wish Moog would consider selling certain modules individually. Not so likely, sure...but I can dream!

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:02 pm

JLR. The cables were good quality .com cables. I’m not an EE or anything, but i’m Guessing it was the double female coupler somehow causing a voltage drop. Not really sure, but glad I got it working. The combination of the .com system and the 15 is making me smile. I can’t say enough about the Moog. I have an old Mini which I really love, but the 15 is something else. I hope to take delivery of a couple of 901 banks from SW next month. Things are getting interesting. BTW, i’ve Listened to some of your music and I am impressed.

Esample9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esample9 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 pm

jvt wrote:Agree! The Model 15 is awesome. The one thing I do wish I had is a 904b High Pass Filter. Right now the only way to get one would be to buy a System 35 or IIIp. I so wish Moog would consider selling certain modules individually. Not so likely, sure...but I can dream!
Have you tried the Moon S175? I have a couple and use one as HP and the other as LP. Not saying it’s equal to the 904s, but they’re pretty good.

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jvt » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Esample9 wrote: Have you tried the Moon S175? I have a couple and use one as HP and the other as LP. Not saying it’s equal to the 904s, but they’re pretty good.
No I haven't. The Model 15 is the only MU I have at the moment. It was the Aion eurorack clones that led me to the Model 15. The only thing left of the Aion stuff is the 904b because I like it so much! But now I'd really like to have an authentic version.

7thDanSound
Off patching

Post by 7thDanSound » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:29 pm

jvt wrote:Agree! The Model 15 is awesome. The one thing I do wish I had is a 904b High Pass Filter. Right now the only way to get one would be to buy a System 35 or IIIp. I so wish Moog would consider selling certain modules individually. Not so likely, sure...but I can dream!
If you don't need to have high pass at the same time as low pass you can use the low pass as high pass by mixing its output with the original signal. It's not perfect and you need to be careful tweaking the mix levels, you'll find it out though.

Sorry about the rotated pic, just can't get it right, hope it helps with patching

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jvt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:53 pm

7thDanSound wrote: If you don't need to have high pass at the same time as low pass you can use the low pass as high pass by mixing its output with the original signal. It's not perfect and you need to be careful tweaking the mix levels, you'll find it out though.

Sorry about the rotated pic, just can't get it right, hope it helps with patching
Thanks, however I already tried that approach. It's OK in a pinch, but I would prefer to have the flexibility of access to low and high pass independently. It also doesn't quite give the same sonic result.

7thDanSound
Off patching

Post by 7thDanSound » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 am

jvt wrote: Thanks, however I already tried that approach. It's OK in a pinch, but I would prefer to have the flexibility of access to low and high pass independently. It also doesn't quite give the same sonic result.
You are correct on all above accounts good Sir

Firechild
Common Wiggler

Post by Firechild » Fri May 03, 2019 12:07 am

Here is a multitrack using ALL sounds from the Moog Model 15 -reissue.
Pretty extensive multitracking I can say! Modular multitracking taken to the next level kind of...
Anyways, my findings...VERY impressive sound. It has this magic edge in the mids only found in vintage ARP 2600s and maybe Moog Modular vintage, I have noot been playing a vintage Moog modular yet.

[video][/video]

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 03, 2019 12:31 am

:hail: Firechild :yay:

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Fri May 03, 2019 5:24 am

I built my own... managed to keep an attenuator though... 8-)

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 am

Firechild wrote:Here is a multitrack using ALL sounds from the Moog Model 15 -reissue.
This is really great.... Has me taking my hat off to the Moog Reissue team as everyone seems to have only good things to say about it.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:07 am

... and Homey can play!! Sooooo refreshing to hear after piles of YT vids of drones and 8 step sequencer stuff.

Right on!! :minimoog:

[video][/video]

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Funch
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Funch » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 am

Hmmm. Sounds a lot like the Behringer model D. :hihi:

Return to “5U Format Modules”