Is Moog Model 15 worth it , why ?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am

Funch wrote:Hmmm. Sounds a lot like the Behringer model D. :hihi:
:msnsmack:

... I'll fetch yer coat ..... :hihi:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri May 03, 2019 10:22 am

hamildad wrote:
Firechild wrote:Here is a multitrack using ALL sounds from the Moog Model 15 -reissue.
This is really great.... Has me taking my hat off to the Moog Reissue team as everyone seems to have only good things to say about it.
got to remember.. if you spent $10.000+ you to would be raving about it regardless.. purchase justification overules all.. :)

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri May 03, 2019 6:14 pm

JohnLRice wrote::hail: Firechild :yay:
+1000. Outstanding, Firechild!!!

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm

josaka wrote:
hamildad wrote:
Firechild wrote:Here is a multitrack using ALL sounds from the Moog Model 15 -reissue.
This is really great.... Has me taking my hat off to the Moog Reissue team as everyone seems to have only good things to say about it.
got to remember.. if you spent $10.000+ you to would be raving about it regardless.. purchase justification overules all.. :)
Not necessarily. I've made plenty of expensive purchases that did not live up to my expectations. Spending a bunch of money doesn't always mean that the purchaser's critical facilities have been bypassed.

I'll rave about the sound on this video right alongside Firechild. I've played on a Moog 35 reissue and can vouch that they do in fact sound great — to my ears just like their forebears. And I'm old enough to have played on a Moog 10 in 1971 and a Moog 12 in 1973. I never forgot what they sounded like. (And yes, I know the difference between a 901 and a 921...)

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri May 03, 2019 8:01 pm

the other thing to note.. which puzzles me.. there is a ton of reverb/production going on .. (it could be almost any modular..) if the track is posted up minus the reverbs efx then.. might be time for excitement.. I'm not geting excited at reverb :)
+ still no evidence they sound different to say.. synth-werk.. be pretty easy.. one dry sequence run of both systems.. :)
in fact people on the synth-werk facebook page have SW osc in their model 15/35s etc and sat they are the same.

if someone wants to put up a moog run send me the midi and I will attempt match it with my 901 or 921 synthwerks .. :)

be very very impressed if there is a $8.500 difference..

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 pm

...on a different note just got an email that this has landed..

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 03, 2019 11:19 pm

josaka wrote:
hamildad wrote:
Very true! It's also good to remember that those of us that spent a lot less money on various direct clones and inspired emulations, have a tenancy to rave that we saved a lot of money and can still get the same sound/performance to justify our decisions, even though we really wouldn't know for sure unless we actually had owned both? :hihi:

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Sat May 04, 2019 5:59 am

josaka wrote: if someone wants to put up a moog run send me the midi and I will attempt match it with my 901 or 921 synthwerks .. :)

No need , the difference is self-evident , one is a clone and one is a Moog .

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat May 04, 2019 7:01 am

JohnLRice wrote:
josaka wrote:
hamildad wrote:
Very true! It's also good to remember that those of us that spent a lot less money on various direct clones and inspired emulations, have a tenancy to rave that we saved a lot of money and can still get the same sound/performance to justify our decisions, even though we really wouldn't know for sure unless we actually had owned both? :hihi:
:tu: :) ..have to say.. I am not raving :) still cost way too much !! :)

its odd that moog owners dont put up many 'files' to show off the 'difference..'
before I bought I asked a few folk who had owned both the mos lab and moog if there was a difference with the real moog.. they said yes.. but give 6 mins extra and you can get the same sound.. I feel that way about the SW vs ML 921.. give the ML a few mins and you can match.. 1 thing is for sure.. having a ML 921 ABBB and a SW ABBBBB here.. they are not identical(sync aside hard vs PPL) and the SW 901 ABBB is quite a different tone again..

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat May 04, 2019 7:33 am

..what do you say about the ones that have no moogs and no clones.. yet rave and fight to the death to defends it honor..?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat May 04, 2019 7:57 am

josaka wrote:..what do you say about the ones that have no moogs and no clones.. yet rave and fight to the death to defends it honor..?
Those people are bigger time wasters than us! :lol: :hmm: :oops:

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat May 04, 2019 8:35 am

JohnLRice wrote:
josaka wrote:..what do you say about the ones that have no moogs and no clones.. yet rave and fight to the death to defends it honor..?
oh I dunno.. we are pretty blackbelt.. :)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat May 04, 2019 8:36 am

josaka wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
:nod: :spin: :stardance:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:14 am

[video][/video]
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sat May 04, 2019 9:28 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:[video][/video]
think I posted this earlier in the thread.. maybe a different one.. the mini is niether a 921 or a 901 osc (there is a thread where CW Rider goes into detail about this)..actually think the SW sounds a bit nicer here.. also the SW is running through the mini.. :)

watched this a few times before buying the SW :)

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Sun May 05, 2019 8:19 am

JohnLRice wrote:
josaka wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Humans being human...

It's all about emotion.
Usually in echo chambers, what muff is for synth nerds like us, objectivism is often fround upon.
Shall I ... blablabla ... to thee.

The more you pay for something, the less likely you are to critise it.

ContraPoints

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:36 am

milkshake wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
josaka wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Humans being human...

It's all about emotion.
Usually in echo chambers, what muff is for synth nerds like us, objectivism is often *fround upon.
(*frowned) .... I don't agree. There are plenty of differing opinions offered within this membership.

Quoting Ayn Rand ("objectivism") is a pretty heavy duty claim! "Objectivism is a "closed system" that is not subject to change".

Perhaps you meant "objectivity"?

Or perhaps I'm all fuddup?

:tu: :tu:

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Sun May 05, 2019 9:41 am

josaka wrote:the other thing to note.. which puzzles me.. there is a ton of reverb/production going on .. (it could be almost any modular..) if the track is posted up minus the reverbs efx then.. might be time for excitement.. I'm not geting excited at reverb :)
+ still no evidence they sound different to say.. synth-werk.. be pretty easy.. one dry sequence run of both systems.. :)
in fact people on the synth-werk facebook page have SW osc in their model 15/35s etc and sat they are the same.

if someone wants to put up a moog run send me the midi and I will attempt match it with my 901 or 921 synthwerks .. :)

There was a phtoto in Firechild's video of a Mos-Labs system (sure, not synth-werk, but). If he is still following this thread, I wonder if he'd be able to do an a-b comparison...

I have listened to a few of Firechild's videos, and he can get great sounds out of his analog equipment. Two random thoughts - on the plus side, he does have a lot of analog gear so should be able to give a pretty good opinion of the Model 15 reissue, but on the negative side, he gets a great sound out of all of his gear, so when I hear this, I'm not jumping up and down saying, "This is the one!", I'm saying more, "Yep, expected no less."

Thinking of the video Rex Coil 7 posted, I did a similar experiment with my Boog (don't knock it if you haven't played with on for a while ;) ) and my bank of Mos-lab's 901s going through a C3PO mixer but using Boog filter, etc.. I also added three dot com Q106s through a stg mixer for comparison. All three VCO sets sounded completely different. The Boog sounded like a mini - I could get those great Rick Wakemen solos while they sounded off with the others. The Mos-Labs sounded like a Moog Modular and I could get great Kieth Emerson sounds while I couldn't with the others. The dot coms sounded great, but different. I no longer believe people who say VCOs make no difference... (of course the C3PO colors the sound....) One reason I am vendor agnostic - they all have their pluses.
Last edited by trentpmcd on Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Sun May 05, 2019 9:44 am

Sorry, double post....

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Perhaps you meant "objectivity"?

:tu: :tu:
Yes, thanks for correcting me.
Shall I ... blablabla ... to thee.

The more you pay for something, the less likely you are to critise it.

ContraPoints

Analog Music
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Music » Sun May 05, 2019 10:31 am

I salute :clap: anybody who paid up to $10 Grand on the Moog Model 15 reissue , to be a part of THE SOUND , the craftsmanship and the legacy ,
well done if you bought one .
I'm sure that all who did buy a reissue are not rich but to make the sacrifice to buy shows your passion runs very deep and maybe your pockets too :moneyburn: :grin: .

The cool thing about getting a reissue is you don't have to second guess your self anymore , your free to create because it's authentic , that alone maybe worth the price of admission into your Electronic Voyage .

]Image

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sun May 05, 2019 10:59 am

Analog Music wrote:I salute :clap: anybody who paid up to $10 Grand on the Moog Model 15 reissue , to be a part of THE SOUND , the craftsmanship and the legacy ,
well done if you bought one .
I'm sure that all who did buy a reissue are not rich but to make the sacrifice to buy shows your passion runs very deep and maybe your pockets too :moneyburn: :grin: .

The cool thing about getting a reissue is you don't have to second guess your self anymore , your free to create because it's authentic , that alone maybe worth the price of admission .
I am never about the "mumbo jumbo" about "the sound" of the Moog (whatever). But I am about the craftsmanship...they do turn out a nice product. I have a Model D reissue in walnut, and it is such a lovely piece. Can I get the same sound from a Behringer D....yup...it is damn close! Can you get the same experience?....In my opinion no. If you compare the sound side by side there is not much difference...but compare the interface and tactile sensations of touching a handbuilt minimoog vs the Behringer model D. Different worlds.

There is more than just sound involved in Moog stuff. I love my Model D reissue. Do I use it regularly?....No. I keep it boxed up and get it out to play on special occasions. Is this a waste of a $3500 mono synth....Yes, but I think of it as a piece of functional art with history, sound and "mojo".
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Sun May 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Weird, I use my Mini D on every track. Even country music, "hmm that last note could double with sub bass from the Minimoog..."

I think Moog's pricing is similar to Custom Shop guitars, which is a big market believe it or not. They're usually limited editions that sell to a small number of collectors over and over.

Also, I think everyone on this thread would buy a Moog reissue if they had the cash.

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Sun May 05, 2019 1:09 pm

daveholiday wrote:[ Can I get the same sound from a Behringer D....yup...it is damn close! Can you get the same experience?....In my opinion no. If you compare the sound side by side there is not much difference...but compare the interface and tactile sensations of touching a handbuilt minimoog vs the Behringer model D. Different worlds.
The Boog is a blast to play with - more fun than about any synth I've had in years, but I will agree, it isn't the same. I will also agree with synthetic, I'd have the reissue if I had the cash.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Sun May 05, 2019 3:08 pm

synthetic wrote:
Also, I think everyone on this thread would buy a Moog reissue if they had the cash.
I dont think I would.. very happy with my modular (moog+ others) sound + its so flexible the moog is not.. and synthwise I have enough great monos.. with unlimited cash.. would buy a big space..
..medium cash.. a pair of ATC speakers £6k.. maybe a jupiter 6..some buchla a modal 008r ..wersi bass synth....maybe a moog one? there is a ton of outboard(a pheonix mastering compressor/compez 760x .a bunch of nice valves..AMT pultec + mids EMI tg compressors lexicon 200/224/83.eventide 8000.TC1210 ...repair a few things..also take an emu modular an rfs polykobol or arp 2500 first.. just off the top of my head.. :)
There was a phtoto in Firechild's video of a Mos-Labs system (sure, not synth-werk, but). If he is still following this thread, I wonder if he'd be able to do an a-b comparison...
he says he has the old mos lab 901 (not the new exact 901 clones ) :)
Tom(noddy) claims the old mos-lab are close but not quite there after having them together... (think he would say they were not the same no matter what though ! :) .. hes THE moog maniac !! :) )

Return to “5U Format Modules”