Is Moog Model 15 worth it , why ?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Mon May 06, 2019 8:29 am

Firechild wrote:Here is a multitrack using ALL sounds from the Moog Model 15 -reissue
Fantastic piece! Thanks for sharing.
Multi tracking a modular is both challenging and rewarding. Makes you think outside the box, as sound creation can be done in parts. I remember trying to get a bowed string sound and using one patch for the bow sound and another patch for the sustained part. Would have taken several voices to recreate live. Multitracking really expands the possibilities. As much as I enjoy playing live, the Larty Fast, Carlos, etc., methods can be so impressive and limitless. You don't need more modules, just more time recording/mixing.

Mark11Audio
Wiggling with Experience

Superbooth 2019

Post by Mark11Audio » Mon May 06, 2019 6:44 pm

FWIW Guys...

I'm leaving Phoenix here in about an hour for my 12 hour flight to Berlin, I will be at Superbooth again this year and hanging out mostly at the Moon booth, but as always right next to Moon is Synth-Werk... I am fairly confidant Gerhard will have his new System 15 there... (at least I think he will... :despair: )

I will set up a video session as I did last year, and try and play a bit of the new 15 as well... all depends on how the show goes and if time permits.

I am going to try and film much more this year, and meet and greet as many people as I can... some who didn't make it last year I found out will be there this year. So I am hoping to have bier and conversation with many!

Cheers, Mark

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :yay: :zombie: :goo:
"Trust No One, Question Everything..."

7thDanSound
Off patching

Post by 7thDanSound » Fri May 10, 2019 4:42 pm

I have a Model 15 reissue and though I love the thing I'd say to most it's not worth it. Mainly because for the practicing musician that's looking for a tool there's a lot of stuff offering the same and more for a lot less cash. However, for the budding synthesist that loves a bit of branded inspiration, it's a perfect piece. And yes, I'm the perfect victim. I love having a proper Model 15, to me this really is the perfect piece of kit even if it's not my goto thing for anything. And yes, I find fizzy grape juice tastes better if it says Krug on the label and no I can't tell them apart when blind folded. But I'm not scared to put up a comparison for those in the need. I think the real magic is in the hands of the user but I feel I become a greater user with greater stuff in my hands. This is weird. I guess most of you know what I'm talking about...

Tl;dr; I'd be happy to play anything on my Model 15 to compare with a clone or whatever to help people make their mind up. Send me the midi and I'll put it through my magic box that converts 230V 50Hz (as I'm in Europe) to lovely audio voltage :)

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri May 10, 2019 6:46 pm

:) I am in the middle of a project right now.. but as soon as its over I will crank together some midi.. + settings etc.. people can chime in.. with all sorts of modules ! !
I will start a new thread.. so the test is not on page 17 or whatever..

I think the real magic is in the hands of the user
yes ! absolutely..

I find fizzy grape juice tastes better if it says Krug on the label and no I can't tell them apart when blind folded.
you are not alone in here.. :)

Skotchi
Common Wiggler

Post by Skotchi » Sun May 12, 2019 7:24 pm

@josaka When you create the new thread, would you put a link to it in this thread?

Thanks
"Now that you’ve found another key,
what are you going to play?"

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 pm

hey.. put forward some video (youtube of things you like) of the type of sequences you think would show off the modules for everyone(or nobody) to try..

1 2 and 3 osc.. plain seqences to wide octave ranges..
I will knock up some midi.

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 am

josaka wrote:hey.. put forward some video (youtube of things you like) of the type of sequences you think would show off the modules for everyone(or nobody) to try..

1 2 and 3 osc.. plain seqences to wide octave ranges..
I will knock up some midi.
Forgive my ignorance for asking - I too own a Model 15 and am just curious why make such a big deal or fuss about it? Are you trying to prove that it's not worth $XYZ more than the clones based on sonic quality? Of course not.. the differences are marginal. Also, many of the other synth manufacturers cloning them make AMAZING products that usually offer additional and better functionality!

I know the thread is titled "is it worth it" but I don't really get the point of these types of threads.

I don't feel the need to justify its existence in my studio, nevermind trying to defend my purchase to others.

It's been mentioned before and it's totally subjective. I pay for the experience and because I like owning the real deal.. if you can even call it that these days.

Besides, how someone chooses to spend their money is entirely their own business no? It's not supposed to make business sense really.

Unfortunately, my experience with critics of anything "luxury" is that they are usually trolls.. let users buy what they want... no need to justify anything.

The reason you don't see many demo's or comparisons is because they are an expensive item, and those that own one most probably have better things to do than trying to defend their purchase :guinness:
Live for gear...

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 pm

talking rubbish mate..

the proposed thread was for all osc just for fun..

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:48 am

easy now tiger.. not talkin rubbish. :hihi:

I was specifically referring to this thread (and other similar threads)... and the whole "is it worth it" conundrum...

not your proposed thread for all osc -- id actually be really interested to hear the differences too (although I suspect they'll be more or less indistinguishable).

I haven't had the pleasure of checking out a .com system or synthwerks here in the UK but seen/heard a Moon and thought it was awesome. Definitely more bang for your buck than any of the re-issues.. but no point in knockin the Re-issues or calling out their owners to compare ????

"got to remember.. if you spent $10.000+ you to would be raving about it regardless.. purchase justification overules all.. smile"

"if someone wants to put up a moog run send me the midi and I will attempt match it with my 901 or 921 synthwerks .. smile

be very very impressed if there is a $8.500 difference.."

Anyway, no harm meant pal, and when you do start that proposed thread, I'll send you some audio too so we can compare. :tu:

:hihi: :hihi:

BTW - reverb or no reverb... Firechild's use of the 15 is absolutely fkin killer - well done. :yay: :love:
Live for gear...

stubbyfex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stubbyfex » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:32 pm

I want the model 15 for two reasons:

1. Foremost is the sound. Look at the schematics for the original model 15. Lots of transistors! Yes, a few IC's, but mainly transistors. Big components, old school parts. Different sound than the modern designs.

2. Repairability. I've been a tech for over 35 years. Looking at the pics from the Moog site, the reissue model 15 uses through hole PCB's NOT surface mount! And the modules are in aluminum boxes for shielding. Nice!

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm

I almost went for the Moog 953 keyboard like 3 times but was able to withstand. It's crazy awesome though. I still want it, but have resigned myself to going without. Noisebug has a Moon system with an interface for connecting it to generic modern modulars. There should be some kind of law against emitting that much deadly GAS

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:24 pm

I bought the 953 and sold it after 2 wks. Too big and the lack of usability with other gear is annoying after a while... also no arpeggiator, mod wheels or ribbon..

easier solution is to trigger the EGs with any KB and use an active circuit 1/8 inch to Cinch Jones S Trig cable. works like a charm - just make sure your gates can trigger at least +5V bec I found 911s need a bit more juice to fire correctly (depends on the source)..
Live for gear...

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Fellow muffs,

I can sequence the Model 15 using active cables that do the gate to S-teig inversion conversion for you but have a random question on the 15.

In theory you can take a gate and invert it and then do an offset but I am not sure whether that can also be done on the 15...

I tried sending 5v gate signals from the GRP A4 sequencer CV out to trigger the 911 EGs after going by the reversible attenuator first. The EGs dont trigger.

However, if I turn the attenuator knob to max (10), i can hear the VCOs playing back the melody from the GRP but the EGs dont shape the sound... instead it seems they are keeping the VCA open (to max).

I suppose the reversible attenuator cannot invert the gate in this case .. but why do the EGs open the VCA?
Live for gear...

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:07 pm

I don't know if it will work with the Model 15, but for an early 80s piece of Moog equipment, I used dotcom pedal interface (Q142) and (Iif I remember correctly) used the +5/0 output, which inverted the gate, so when there was no signal (i.e., it was 0), it output +5 and when the gate was +5 it output 0, or something like that, so truly reversing the gate to make it a trigger. Worked well.

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:22 pm

trentpmcd wrote:I don't know if it will work with the Model 15, but for an early 80s piece of Moog equipment, I used dotcom pedal interface (Q142) and (Iif I remember correctly) used the +5/0 output, which inverted the gate, so when there was no signal (i.e., it was 0), it output +5 and when the gate was +5 it output 0, or something like that, so truly reversing the gate to make it a trigger. Worked well.
And actually, I wasn't thinking, but an easier way might be to take the output of that reverse attenuator and add +5V. I've this before as well. That makes the base voltage at +5 and then the trigger at 0.

Return to “5U Format Modules”