MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

turing machine in buchla or serge format?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author turing machine in buchla or serge format?
APETECHNOLOGY
has anyone thought of making a music thing turing machine panel in buchla or serge format?
maxed out with all the options!
i really miss it in this world.
i know i can adapt a euro panel,
but i would like a dedicated panel for the format.
any thoughts?
hmmm.....
Timmy
APETECHNOLOGY wrote:
has anyone thought of making a music thing turing machine panel in buchla or serge format?
maxed out with all the options!
i really miss it in this world.
i know i can adapt a euro panel,
but i would like a dedicated panel for the format.
any thoughts?
hmmm.....

Check out the Northern Lights dual O&C module for Buchla, elsewhere in this forum O&C provides built-in voltage-controllable Turing Machines in its ASR and quad quantiser apps. With the Northern Lights O&C, you could have 8 independent Turing machines, if you wanted. Downside: menus, and no knobby interface (but most things are voltage controllable). Upside: it does a lot more than just Turing Machines. O&C manual is at - the firmware on the Northern Lights Buchla version is (or will be) essentially the same, afaik - http://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual-v1_3_beta/
sempervirent
I was looking at this last year since it's related to a Eurorack project that I'm developing. Haven't moved any further with it since then, but it hasn't really dropped out of the development queue either.

The layout below is not final, maybe not even close. I want to add a few extra features if they will fit. One idea is to incorporate a quantizer, but that means removing some of the other features that don't appear in the mockup below.

For example incorporating the Voltages expander would be more of a straight TM adaptation than adding a quantizer (although a quantizer is a really useful addition to the TM). The final product might be closer to my Turing Machine hybrid panel for Eurorack, but with Buchla aesthetics.

APETECHNOLOGY
sempervirent,
thats it! nice!
vactrol mix would be nice,
i liked the idea of using a taste of the "exquisite corpse" technique in the mix.
well done,
we're not worthy
hope it becomes a reality.
das_Produkt
I'm building a Turing Machine in 4U at the moment.

There are some problems, like fixing the boards behind the panel, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

APETECHNOLOGY
das_Produkt wrote:
I'm building a Turing Machine in 4U at the moment.

There are some problems, like fixing the boards behind the panel, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

nicely done!
that is a lot of boards to fit.
hope it works out, please post a pic of the finished project.
the bad producer
Nice one Das Produkt - and sempervirent for the Buchla one!

I've thought about this, but quickly realised a new PCB would be best really, which is fine as it's OS...
das_Produkt
APETECHNOLOGY wrote:

hope it works out, please post a pic of the finished project.

I will post a picture of the jungle of wires behind the panel.
Just waiting for the leds from china...

the bad producer wrote:

Nice one Das Produkt - and sempervirent for the Buchla one!

Thank you. The inspiration for the style should be pretty obvious.

the bad producer wrote:

I've thought about this, but quickly realised a new PCB would be best really, which is fine as it's OS...

Yeah, the best way would be to create a new pcb for the 4U build.
But I already have the euro boards and a run of big pcbs would be to pricey for me.
das_Produkt
I'm finally done.

Like I anticipated, the wiring behind the panel was really tiring and in the end looks really, really hacky.

But it works.

APETECHNOLOGY
amazing! we're not worthy
kashmir
Nice!! I like the nest on the other side also wink
sempervirent
Wow... that's quite a sculpture. Nice job getting it to more or less fit into the Serge grid as well.

I'm still planning a Buchla-format version of the TM, based on the Permutation module that I'm about to release for Eurorack. The layout will be different than the mockup posted above.
das_Produkt
sempervirent wrote:
Nice job getting it to more or less fit into the Serge grid as well.

Actually, it's easier for me to design in the Serge grid. I know exactly how much room I need for my front panel elements and the rest of the design (in the front and in the back) is ordered around these constraints.
sempervirent
Yes, it does simplify things somewhat, and it's satisfying when a complex module (or set of modules) like this fits neatly into the grid.
Amer1231
das_Produkt wrote:
I'm finally done.

Like I anticipated, the wiring behind the panel was really tiring and in the end looks really, really hacky.

But it works.

did you need to change any component values during this build?
das_Produkt
I only changed the LED resistors because I like LEDs that won't burn out my eyes.

Most of my modules are eurorack pcbs "under the hood", so I don't change anything.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1