MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 ADAT input problem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8 ADAT input problem
___tomk
Could use another brain on this one: ES-8 paired w ES-6, both Logic and Max recognize input from inputs 1-4 (the ES-8 inputs), but not 5-10 (ES-6 inputs). This has not been an issue until now, randomly. Any ideas?

Thanks
os
ES-6 still on (lighting up)? Connected by both ribbon cable and TOSlink cable? Both cables not fallen out?
___tomk
os wrote:
ES-6 still on (lighting up)? Connected by both ribbon cable and TOSlink cable? Both cables not fallen out?

Yes, all of the connections are in place, and all input jacks illuminate as expected
os
When you say the apps don't recognise the inputs, do you mean the ES-8 only appears to have 4 inputs, or that it has 12 inputs but there's no signal on 5-12?
___tomk
os wrote:
When you say the apps don't recognise the inputs, do you mean the ES-8 only appears to have 4 inputs, or that it has 12 inputs but there's no signal on 5-12?

Audio MIDI Setup shows ES-8 as inputs 1-12, signal appears in DAWs on 1-4 only. I/O mapping in Max is correct.
os
I guess it's a possibility that either the ES-6 or the ADAT input on the ES-8 has died. Do you have any other ADAT gear to test with?
___tomk
os wrote:
I guess it's a possibility that either the ES-6 or the ADAT input on the ES-8 has died. Do you have any other ADAT gear to test with?

Ok - signal passes as expected through all ES-6 inputs when plugged into the optical in on my digi003 rack (thanks for your suggestion, I forgot to eliminate the ES-8 from the equation before posting here) - there was some clicking which was remedied by changing the clock source to ADAT in Audio MIDI Setup.

Once I verified the ES-6 was operational, I switched back to running it w the ES-8, no audio.
os
OK - did you try the digi003 ADAT out into the ES-8 ADAT in?

In that setup, you should be able to use Audio MIDI Setup to put the ES-8 in ADAT clock mode.
___tomk
os wrote:
OK - did you try the digi003 ADAT out into the ES-8 ADAT in?

In that setup, you should be able to use Audio MIDI Setup to put the ES-8 in ADAT clock mode.

With Digi003 optical out > ES-8 ADAT in, no audio on inputs 5 and above. Tried switching ES-8 clock source in Audio MIDI Setup from ES-8 Internal to ADAT, and the selection auto-returns to Internal. Interestingly, trying to switch the clock source changed the pitch/overall state of my modular (overall pitch dropped by about a m3, other parameters were affected).

Overall connection between Digi003 and ES-8 also became unstable (switching programs on my Mac and other seemingly random actions would randomly cause audio connection to drop/have an affect on voltages in the modular).

Avid drivers up to date, connected via thunderbolt/firewire adapter, straight into the Mac, ES-8 also connected straight into the mac. Running on 2013 MBP OS X 10.11.6.

This made me think the Avid software might have something to do with it, so I uninstalled and restarted to check the function of the ES-6/ES-8 combo, still no audio on inputs 5 and above.
os
Sounds very much like the ES-8 ADAT input isn't working.

Last test - plug an ADAT cable from ES-8 ADAT output to ES-8 ADAT input. See if anything goes out and back.
___tomk
os wrote:
Sounds very much like the ES-8 ADAT input isn't working.

Last test - plug an ADAT cable from ES-8 ADAT output to ES-8 ADAT input. See if anything goes out and back.

Signal passes successfully (lights up) between all inputs and outputs on the ES-8, with and without the ADAT self-connection
os
I mean send out through the ADAT channels and look for a signal on the ADAT inputs.
___tomk
os wrote:
I mean send out through the ADAT channels and look for a signal on the ADAT inputs.

Edited for clarity, hope I'm interpreting your instructions correctly.

When the ES-8 ADAT in and out are connected to each other, I see signal (offset, yeah?) from inputs 1-4 on all ES-8 output channels, but no signal passing from inputs 5-12.
os
OK. Unless you can think of anything to try reconfiguring in software (or try another computer?), it looks like a repair is indicated.

Email me.
___tomk
Replied via email. For thread purposes - verified same errors occurred while using Reaper on a different Mac.
Vapor
I just got an ES-8 and am having difficulty connecting adat to my focusrite scarlett (or more likely getting the in/outs connected right on focusrite software. My immediate goal is to use the 1/4" inch outs of my focusrite going to my monitors while claiming the ES-8 as my interface on Ableton Live. Need help.
os
Please don't double-post.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200659
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1