MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

11U Flat Pack Case for your consideration
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author 11U Flat Pack Case for your consideration
Koryo
I am posting this because I might make more than one and I would like to get a response of who might like one as well.

A 11U x 190hp (two 19" racks) almost epic, almost portable, customizable, fully featured eurorack case.

It's an aluminum sheet metal, powder coated, flat pack modular case kit pre-designed for Bastl Juiceboards and L-1 linear power supplies. (easy to ignore or modify)

The wood cheeks are shown but would not be included. Have fun, add your own or not. It's up to you. What would be included is all sheet metal shown here with the necessary hardware to piece it together, rails and I hope for all the 190hp threaded inserts.

The concept is DIY metalic, coffee table, flat pack, user customizable, eurorack.

so hey, let me know. One will be made at any cost and the more that want one too will only make it more affordable.

Questions, please ask away.

Cheers!
JosefK
Count me in. Looks ideal.
Joe.
Nice to see a case with actual ventilation thumbs up
pugix
What is the 1U rail spacing? Does it match Pulp Logic tiles or Intellijel?

Also I'd like to know if there is an option for sliding nuts, or is it only supporting threaded nut bars?

I could be interested, depending on the answers.

Thanks!
c0nsumer
Definitely interested pending more details... I'd be keen on Intellijel-type 1U spacing.
billyk419
Love the idea, but I'd be completely sold if it were more in the 104-126 HP arena.......Maybe I could rearrange some things hmmm.....
sharonsr
Subscribed, btw two 19" size is 168Hp ,and its great in my opinion.
c0nsumer
I'm personally interested in this for vertical use, but I think it could work really well. Maybe just two little straps to hold it to the wall. (I have a very shallow space to work in.)

Price will be key for me, but this seems really cool.

I'd be really happy with plastic (say, machined ABS) end caps. Or even just the CAD data so I could have them cut myself.
mush
sharonsr wrote:
Subscribed, btw two 19" size is 168Hp ,and its great in my opinion.

Not if you count the space of the rack-ears...
Koryo
Let's see if I can answer some questions.

pugix wrote:
Does it match Pulp Logic tiles or Intellijel?

The 1U openings, note the shiny stainless rack ears, is standard 1.75" height, standard 19" width and provides openings clear through the case. Users are welcome to fill or cover, front and back, with any 1U item they see fit. I personally plan to put in 1U x 19" multi channel fx, possibly a line mixer, a MIDI synth and maybe a custom multi channel buffered mute.

The 1U openings on the back could be covered with translucent panels and back-lit. I was inspired by a custom case by Microscopial. The case pictured in his avatar.

pugix wrote:
Also I'd like to know if there is an option for sliding nuts, or is it only supporting threaded nut bars?

The provided 3U rails are Vector so you can use threaded strips or sliding nuts, it's up to you.

billyk419 wrote:
...I'd be completely sold if it were more in the 104-126 HP arena...

The layout is really based around multiples of the 19" width. It could be modified as the top and bottom are merely flat panels but the back is not so simple.

sharonsr wrote:
...btw two 19" size is 168Hp...

Yes, the hp available in the 1U sections would be right around 168hp after rack ears are put on. However, the 3U sections are wall-to-wall 190hp and don't fit inside a traditional rack eared case.

When fully populated, the front module faces are flush with the edges and with no lips dividing panels.

c0nsumer wrote:
...I think it could work really well. Maybe just two little straps to hold it to the wall.

That's precisely what I was shooting for. The back panel has provisions for feet if prone is your style or a location to mount a French Cleat for vertical playtime. The power plug is recessed so it can be hung on the wall no problem.

Sans cheeks: 38.1in (96.9cm) x 8.5in (21.7cm) x 19in (48.1cm) W x D x H

c0nsumer wrote:
..Or even just the CAD data so I could have them cut myself.

Yep! You are right on target again. A 2D file will include the layout for custom cheeks and top/bottom panels.
Audioneiromancer
I've no idea how much such a thing might cost, but I'm potentially interested, depending on a number of factors, many of which are not specific to this case! Still, I'll follow along and speak up if I want in.
pugix
Koryo wrote:
Let's see if I can answer some questions.

pugix wrote:
Does it match Pulp Logic tiles or Intellijel?

The 1U openings, note the shiny stainless rack ears, is standard 1.75" height, standard 19" width and provides openings clear through the case. Users are welcome to fill or cover, front and back, with any 1U item they see fit. I personally plan to put in 1U x 19" multi channel fx, possibly a line mixer, a MIDI synth and maybe a custom multi channel buffered mute.

That doesn't answer my question.

I am confused, because the mounting hole spacing is different for these two makes of tile. In your rack, with vector rails, what is the mounting hole center spacing dimension, rail to rail?

See this thread.

"Long story short: Pulp Logic/Erthenvar 1U tiles use the full 1U of vertical space, but only work with Vector rails. Intellijel 1U modules use slightly less than 1U of vertical space, but work with all rails, including those with lips."

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154392
KSS
pugix wrote:
Koryo wrote:
The 1U openings, note the shiny stainless rack ears, is standard 1.75" height, standard 19" width and provides openings clear through the case. Users are welcome to fill or cover, front and back, with any 1U item they see fit.

That doesn't answer my question.

I am confused, because the mounting hole spacing is different for these two makes of tile. In your rack, with vector rails, what is the mounting hole center spacing dimension, rail to rail?

His case will work with either Lunchbox Tiles or IJ 1U. It will depend upon where you put the rails. He is not planning to do either Lunchbox tiles or IJ 1U. But his case will support Both. One of each, even!
The key is that he has provided the full 1-3/4" height. The difference between IJ 1U and Lunchbox Tiles is the rail lips.

This means if you use the same vector rails as Pulplogic and mount their ends at the PulpLogic Spec distance between top and bottom you will be set for those tiles.

If you instead use *any* normal Lipped Euro rail (Zrails, Schroff, etc) and mount the ends so that the lips are firm against the top and bottom, then IJ 1U tiles will fit.

If you use non-lip vector rails FOR IJ 1U, they will need to be mounted away from the top and bottom of the 1-3/4 space to match the IJ 1U mounting spacing.

Hid plan is to simply use the right angle ears shown to mount standard 1U rack gear.

What's possible here is universal. You just need to drill some holes to match your rails and plan.
KSS
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Nice to see a case with actual ventilation thumbs up

Yes. Though I don't think what we see as potential ventialtion is why it's there. He is planning to use 1U rack gear where the open rear allows to access rear patch bays of that gear.

Even with screens over those openings, real ventilation will not be very effective. He says the case is planned primarily for wall mounted vertical use. With horizontal use ability. Holes would be needed at the Very top and bottom of each section. Best if the holes on top are near the front and the holes in the bottom towards the rear (in the top section) and reversed for the lower section to set up effective convection cooling for both positions of use. Without this the case will be no better or worse than other closed boxes.
Any typical 1U rack gear will close the openings which look like ventilation.
In the absense of that gear, heat will eddy and collect at the top as it does in other closed cases. Making its way out through unpatched jack holes and cracks, along with thermal radiation through the panels. Screens in the front tile area could really help in horizontal position.
KSS
Looking again, what appears at first to be deep upper and lower section is not. The busboard mounting planes are shallow in line with the middle of the case depth. The extra depth behind bus boards is unavailable to your modules. Meanwells or bricks could be put there, but that is a lot of wasted potential space.

@OP consider mounting the busboards deeper in the case in at least one of the two sections.
KSS
Correction to earlier post. There are four 1U sections. Each could be independently chosen for 1U rack gear, PulpLogic Tiles, or IJ 1U. So not one of each but up to 4 of any combination.

@OP. Suggest you work out the details for doing this as it makes your case unique and desirable for more people. You could offer three different ear sets. Std. 1U rack gear ears.
Flat plates with countersunk holes and spacing for Vector at Pulplogic spacing.
And flat plates with countersunk holes and spacing for Schroff, Zrails, etc. Each of these may need a different plate, but some will be compatible with each other.
pugix
KSS wrote:
Correction to earlier post. There are four 1U sections. Each could be independently chosen for 1U rack gear, PulpLogic Tiles, or IJ 1U. So not one of each but up to 4 of any combination.

Thanks for this explanation.

Another question is the depth available for mounting power supplies. I might build two of these DIY supplies, which are almost 2 inches in height.

http://www.metatronicmods.com/power-supply.html

It would really help to have detailed dimensional drawings available.

Thanks,
dysonant
Good looking case, but the ventilation, while nice to see, is really a bit on the large side. Seems to me like a lot of things could mistakenly enter the case through that opening.
Jehos
Read the OP--those 1U spaces aren't vents, they're pass-throughs for 1U 19" rack gear. Think effects units, audio interfaces, etc. The holes have to be that big because you could have something sticking 12" out the back.
dysonant
Jehos wrote:
Read the OP--those 1U spaces aren't vents, they're pass-throughs for 1U 19" rack gear. Think effects units, audio interfaces, etc. The holes have to be that big because you could have something sticking 12" out the back.

Doesn't say anything in the OP about those being pass throughs, but it does further down in the thread, which I neglected to read. Kind of a cool idea.
Koryo
I can answer more questions.

Venting. Yep, nope, maybe. The giant holes on the back are for rackmount gear that requires some depth. I want to keep the price of this case as low as possible so I wasn't planning on providing 1U blanks. Besides there are loads of them available already.

I was not aware that cases were overheating so I didn't give it much thought. Also I thought I would leave it up to the end user. That said, it looks like the consensus is that built in venting would be a welcome addition. I will add it.

As for the depth in the module section. If Bastl Juiceboards are used; they bolt directly on that inside panel without standoffs presenting a clean, relatively flat bus section. The wires powering the bus boards are routed behind that bulkhead. I included lots of piloted holes for cable management via P-clamps. I also made the module section deeper than any skiff or module I looked at including some edge mounted PCB modules. I'll publish the number.

The back section. that's where there is room to mount PSUs and bricks. The concept here is that there is one IEC14 AC input (the rectangular hole on the left side facing the back) and power is distributed from there powering the whole case including any 19" rack mount units. For me I was planning to put a power strip and a USB power brick back there. On the inside edge of the 1U passthroughs I have included punch outs to route whatever cabling in and out of the case. So it's not wasted space per se and will fit any linear PSU that would be needed for this much hp. I will publish that number as well.

KSS wrote:
What's possible here is universal. You just need to drill some holes to match your rails and plan.

Again, I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible and allow the user to to kit it out as they wanted. I'll see what I can do with the 1U rack ears to make them universal for 1U tile and rail combinations. Don't get your hopes up however.
KSS
Koryo wrote:
Again, I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible and allow the user to to kit it out as they wanted. I'll see what I can do with the 1U rack ears to make them universal for 1U tile and rail combinations. Don't get your hopes up however.

Really? It's a flat plate.
1.73H x twice the depth from your front panel mounting plane to your ear mounting holes already in the case. Making it double deep lets you put 4 countersunk holes in the plate. For mounting two different setups. One side will match the vector rail spacing for PulpLogic tiles. The other side will match the vector rail spacing for IJ 1U.
As for cost, the sheet metal fab will be punching or cutting out the material with a laser to make these anyways. The pieces which will fall from the cutouts for the rear of rack gear could be cut or punched into a bunch of these Tile adapters. 2nd operation is to countersink the 4 holes and maybe add PEMs.

Then you can provide a kit with two 19" vector rails (minus double the plate thickness) two adapter plates and 4 FH screws. Each case can support up to four of these add-ons which I am sure many would buy from you. As I said before, it will make your case the only current solution supporting all possible 1U items.

A refinement is to add a 2nd set of plates which support two of the popular lipped rails. Same as before and with different spacing for the countersunk holes. To match the Schroff/Zrails.

These plates are best not seen as an added cost. Rather a huge opportunity for you to provide something desirable and useful at minimal initial outlay. Since you're already having the metal parts made, those extra plates from the fallout pieces are not going to cost much if anything and you will surely make that back and much more by having them to offer your customers.

FWIW, if you put a single PEM in one of the two mounting holes of your 1U gear ears, they will be universal and less fiddly. One screw from each side into the PEM mounts both ears. Should work for the flat Tile, IJ 1U plates also.

I get that you designed this for yourself and present it here to reduce the cost of making it by offering it to others. Simple tweaks will get you that and much more.
KSS
It just occured to me that slightly shorter rails and 2 sets of ears with countersunk holes would let PL tiles and IJ 1U be put in this and any other 1U rack space! Think 1U Tiptop happy ending kit.

The flat plates I just described will be nicer for your case and customers. But a 1U happy ending supporting Both PulpLogic and IJ 1U is another possible way to offset your cost of getting this made by offering a useful item. Again at nearly no added cost since you're already asking the sheet metal fab to make your 1U gear ears.
KSS
Those rear cutouts could instead be made into your french cleats. Maybe you're already doing this? It may make sense to add two more holes for mounting them. Four in each plate with a 45 degree lengthwise bend.
Koryo
Roger that, moving ahead.

Thanks for the input. I'll PM when I get the first articles.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3