MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modules for creating pseudo-random melody/rhythm?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Modules for creating pseudo-random melody/rhythm?
Tronketz
One thing that is so intriguing to me is pseudo-random melodies/rhythms. You dial in some random settings and out comes a syncopated rhythm and a spacey melody that is ever-changing, different every measure.

Here's an audio demo I made using software to create pseudo-random rhythms: http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/argitoth_clock_idea.mp3

I've heard melodic examples of this browsing the forums and listening to module demos. Obviously you need to quantize random pitch voltage to some musical scale.

I know if I had the MOTM-730 Clock Divider, I could do something like this, but it's expensive, and not DIY. Any ideas on altnernative modules to create pseudo-random melody/rhythm?
davebr
I do this all the time with my ComputerVoltageSource. My favorite program is my Divider & Pseudo-Sequencer.DJB.bas which is just a pseudo-random control voltage generator. This program takes a clock input and provides four clock outputs, each with a unique divisor (default is /4, /5, /6, & /7 and can be easily changed). It will also output a pseudo-sequence created from the In-x's multiplied by the clock/x's (e.g. when the clock output is high, that input control setting is summed to the output - the clocks act as enables). The start or stop switch will increase the pseudo-sequence length. The pseudo-sequence is also sent to MIDI out. MIDI in or IN 1-4 controls set program changes as well for the MIDI output. There are several mp3 files on my samples page using this program.

I recently adapted this program to generate pseudo-random drum patterns for my drum machine and posted it as this topic. I changed the program so the inputs select patterns from a table.

There are also samples of where I use a sequence to change the MIDI instrument (e.g. program change). That creates some really interesting sounds. The sample Circus on the samples page is an example of just changing the instrument with basically the same note.

I've also used my MOTM-120 divider to generate pseudo-random sequences. I just take each divider output and sum them together to generate a control voltage. The Journey is an mp3 of that patch on my sample page as well.

Dave
ach_gott
There's quite a bit of this in the CGS line: the weighted random switch, master divider, burst generator, etc.

Also the Ian Fritz modules. You can get the PCBs and panels and whatnot from Bridechamber.
Just me
A few LFO's, a S/H, a VCA or 2, an OSC and some ADSR's do it. Add a quantizer and a noise source and it gets really fun.
pugix
Just me wrote:
A few LFO's, a S/H, a VCA or 2, an OSC and some ADSR's do it. Add a quantizer and a noise source and it gets really fun.


Absolutely! And the CGS Infinite Melody is great for the pseudo-random melody sequence. Here's mine:

http://pugix.com/synth/catgirl-synth-infinite-melody/

Example sound (one of my favorites, actually):

http://pugix.com/synth/aleatoric-double-harmonic-four-gates/
BlueOctopus
This is possible with the Modcan 54B sequencer set to CV control. If you have the right settings in place you can make the steps jump randomly according to the input. That's a very particular piece of gear though and the way that Just me suggested would apply to more people since those are modules that most people +should+ have on hand :-)
Just me
I've uploaded a few simple demos to my soundcloud page. These are done with my MiniMoog (So, no specialty modules) and on Rptr1 and 3 with one extra LFO.

http://soundcloud.com/medusal-obligation/rptr1
http://soundcloud.com/medusal-obligation/rptr2
http://soundcloud.com/medusal-obligation/rptr3

I may tear down the patch I've got on the modular later this week and make some demos with some of the more fun modules available on it to give an expanded example.
JohnLRice
In this note randomized a-rythmic peice I triggered 4 MOTM-800s using a C961S in Random mode which was clocked by a MOTM-320 which had its rate randomly controled by a MOTM-101. What really made it extra random was using alternating outputs (1, 3, 5 and 7) of the C961S but letting all 8 fire, which not only gave me randomized notes but randomized spaces! thumbs up

Tronketz
John L Rice! Man, that is exactly what I'd like to do! You achieved a nice piano-like tone. How are you creating that tone? How did you get the random pitches? Almost like an electronic windchime.
Just me
This is done with no sequencer or gate delays or trigger style modules. Done with a simple portable 22 dotcom and a few Foogers.
Once started, it runs by itself with no interaction in this recording. It gets really strange with a noise and s/h with quantizer on pitch! (May be next time I'll record that, too!)
http://soundcloud.com/medusal-obligation/stretching-the-cable
JohnLRice
Just me wrote:
This is done with no sequencer or gate delays or trigger style modules. Done with a simple portable 22 dotcom and a few Foogers.
Once started, it runs by itself with no interaction in this recording. It gets really strange with a noise and s/h with quantizer on pitch! (May be next time I'll record that, too!)
http://soundcloud.com/medusal-obligation/stretching-the-cable


Cool sounds! thumbs up
JohnLRice
Tronketz wrote:
John L Rice! Man, that is exactly what I'd like to do! You achieved a nice piano-like tone. How are you creating that tone? How did you get the random pitches? Almost like an electronic windchime.


Thanks for the kind words.

I had 4 "voices" set up each consisting of a MOTM-300 VCO, a MOTM VCF (one had a 440, one a 490 and two of them had a 485), a MOTM-800 EG and one half of a MOTM190 VCA. Each VCO was tuned to a specific static pitch (and I think the filters used fixed settings) but I may have run a random voltage out of the MTOM-101 to one of the 485s and set it in such a way that it produces a couple different pitches.

So by firing each voice randomly from the C961S, panning the 4 voices across the stereo field and running an effects loop with a COTK C1680 delay, a very plesant electronic windchime was born! Om
Tronketz
haha, funny emote Sniper Om

so 4 VCOs, 4 filters, 4 VCAs, 4 EGs. I'm guessing you used some kind of square LFO with varying speed to change the pitch up and down a certain amount semi-randomly? thumbs up
JohnLRice
Tronketz wrote:
haha, funny emote Sniper Om

so 4 VCOs, 4 filters, 4 VCAs, 4 EGs. I'm guessing you used some kind of square LFO with varying speed to change the pitch up and down a certain amount semi-randomly? thumbs up


Good 'guess'! woah lol 8_)
JLR wrote:

. . . clocked by a MOTM-320 which had its rate randomly controled by a MOTM-101 . . ."
Just me
Here is one with 3 quantizer banks, 3 OSC, 3LFO, 6 Filters, 2 Sample Hold and 2 noise generators. Each Quant bank iis running a different scale. 2 are feeding OSC pitch and one is Filter Freq.
http://soundcloud.com/medusal-obligation/rndm

Got it to work this morning. I need somewhere other than Soundcloud to host my stuff. Any suggestions?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
zorlon cannon?

my favorite thing to do was run LFOs into a sample and hold

if the clock is a little slower than the lfo that gets sampled you get a reaaaal nice pseudo random sequence that isnt chaotic and retarded.
MindMachine
Just me wrote:
This is done with no sequencer or gate delays or trigger style modules. Done with a simple portable 22 dotcom and a few Foogers.
Once started, it runs by itself with no interaction in this recording. It gets really strange with a noise and s/h with quantizer on pitch! (May be next time I'll record that, too!)
http://soundcloud.com/medusal-obligation/stretching-the-cable


Just beautiful... thumbs up waah thumbs up Almost an Eliane Radigue on speed piece. Great ring moddy, feed backy, bowl gongy stuff.
dslocum
Another simple idea is the Yusynth Octal Random Gate. It's DIY and I'm not sure if anyone has turned it into a product.

Here's a sample of what it can do. This is the first patch I ever created on my modular. Some of the modules aren't even screwed in. Sorry for the bad lighting and sound. It might take a while to load so be patient.
www.steamsynth.com/images/firstpatch.mov
Roycie Roller
dslocum wrote:
Another simple idea is the Yusynth Octal Random Gate. It's DIY and I'm not sure if anyone has turned it into a product.

Here's a sample of what it can do. This is the first patch I ever created on my modular. Some of the modules aren't even screwed in. Sorry for the bad lighting and sound. It might take a while to load so be patient.
www.steamsynth.com/images/firstpatch.mov


Wild looking modular!

In the kindest possible way, it sounds like a drunk person banging a pot to Tony Iommi.
dslocum
Quote:
Wild looking modular!

In the kindest possible way, it sounds like a drunk person banging a pot to Tony Iommi.


Exactly what I was going for. Thanks - I think hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group