MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone building in Modcan A format?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Anyone building in Modcan A format?
parasitk
I often see people doing their DIY thing in MOTM, Frac, Euro, and DotCom/Moog format, but I don't think I've ever seen a DIY module in Modcan A format. Is there a technical reason for this? Or just by chance?

I ask because I might want to build a couple of these 292c LPG PCBs into Modcan A since I don't think the Cyndustries LPG will ever exist, and fuck, why deal with that if I can make my own?

The way it stands, it looks like I'm gonna be building this thing in Frac, DotCom, and Modcan A, so I better get started with some simple kits and learn how to do this shit! help

//Chris
zerosum
Cool thread, but with the cost of racking modules, Frac racks would be cheaper than modcan racks.
So if there was an option to have a modcan module in frac, I would jump on that.

Sure would be really cool to see a DIY CV recorder though 8)
parasitk
I thought of repackaging the two Modcan digital oscillators into Frac format, but I think if I start a banana system it will be more likely that one day I'll buy some Serge stuff (yes this logic works in my head).

Anyway I just want to know if there are any "gotchas" for building in Modcan A format, or just any reasons why I never see people DIYing in that format. Coffee Addiction FTW
thermionicjunky
I guess that, between Modcan and Cyndustries, there is just so much already available in the format. The panels are 1/8 inch thick, so it would be less fun to drill through than 1/16 inch. It does seem to be a great format for stuffing a lot into a single width panel. You could build any format with bananas, though. I had also been longing for quad low pass gates, but the drama around the production just seems to be too much. Lately, I've been thinking of porting the Wiard Boogie and Borg filters to MOTM.
parasitk
Yeah the drama is what totally turned me off to the QLPG as well. And since I'm already planning on building a couple for Frac and DotCom, seemed like a good idea to do a few more for Modcan A. I'd likely have panels made, so I won't have to worry about drilling.

But you're right, there's not a lot missing in those formats - A dedicated full featured waveshaper would be nice, and of course low pass gates... wink
parasitk
Also: No Wogglebugs. I'm gonna have to do something about that. razz
thermionicjunky
I know that Bruce has been working with a digital random module for some time, but his r&d time has been eaten up by some other extremely cool modules. I do wish that his waveshapers were separate from his phase shifter.
parasitk
thermionicjunky wrote:
I do wish that his waveshapers were separate from his phase shifter.

Yep, that's how I feel. Honestly since I'm convincing myself that one day I will own Serge, I'm not terribly concerned about waveshapers. hihi
BananaPlug
Quote:
I ask because I might want to build a couple of these 292c LPG PCBs into Modcan A since I don't think the Cyndustries LPG will ever exist, and fuck, why deal with that if I can make my own?

I know what you mean. very frustrating

I do my DIY in frac only because Blacet's racks are so inexpensive. Bruce's A series racks (I have exactly one) are top quality but pricey so I reserve that real estate for actual A series modules. The worst thing about Frac is that you only have 4.25" between the rack rails. I wonder if there's a generic rack out there which A series modules would fit into? Cyndustries has the Sixpac case but it's 13.5" x 9" and thus no good for a 19" rack. I once brainstormed a bit about cannibalizing two Frac racks to make one A format rack but didn't really work it through.
parasitk
BananaPlug wrote:
I do my DIY in frac only because Blacet's racks are so inexpensive. Bruce's A series racks (I have exactly one) are top quality but pricey so I reserve that real estate for actual A series modules. The worst thing about Frac is that you only have 4.25" between the rack rails. I wonder if there's a generic rack out there which A series modules would fit into? Cyndustries has the Sixpac case but it's 13.5" x 9" and thus no good for a 19" rack. I once brainstormed a bit about cannibalizing two Frac racks to make one A format rack but didn't really work it through.

Wow, this is all stuff I've been pondering these last couple days. Excellent timing, thank you!

Yeah the Modcan racks are nice but a little too rich for my tastes. I'm not sure how to fit A series modules into the 19" format otherwise - I'd like to stick them in an ATA/tour friendly case (as opposed to a big wood furniture kind of thing). Please let me know if you come up with anything.

I'm also going to ask you about banana-fying your Fracs in the Serge Lust thread.. Hold on...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1