MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

No News on Mutable Instruments ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author No News on Mutable Instruments ?
Funky40
.......well thats finally great. so my wallet gets a breath.

but on the other side i fear the worst to come .............lol
REVIVER
Olivier stated the following on the MI forum just a couple weeks ago:

"...no release before end of 2017 / 2018."
dash80
And he's been really sick too from what I read.

Hope he's feeling better. sick
Xtheunknown
Hope it's nothing serious.... Get well Olivier!
Dogma
http://clockfacemodular.blogspot.com.au/2017/05/interview-with-designe rs-olivier-gillet.html
Armstrb
Really interesting interview. Am a big fan of Olivier's and sorry he thinks Clouds was a mistake.
starthief
I do appreciate the logical way in which Tides and Rings work, and I think it's a good design standard for future modules. I've never had Clouds, but I did have Peaks -- its compact functionality was great at the start but I got quite frustrated with it in Expert mode (and couldn't bring myself to use it in less flexible modes).

Although Rings, in a sort of unfamiliar space between oscillator and effect, can throw people off until they get to know it. The internal exciter trigger logic is very simple, but can be confused with the "strum" voice switching logic -- particularly because even with an input patched, sometimes you get a guitar-like "pluck" as if the internal exciter were active. I think that's why people didn't appreciate that as much as expected. smile
hawkfuzz
Always love his input. Very blunt and seems to know what he wants from things. I like that he's inspiring himself for new ideas by combining his old ideas. I always thought Rings was a section of the Elements, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Sometimes I want him and T right next to me while I patch. I feel like they are the equivalent of the Jimmy Fallon IT guy sketch from SNL.
2disbetter
Dogma wrote:
http://clockfacemodular.blogspot.com.au/2017/05/interview-with-designe rs-olivier-gillet.html

Great article! I think people forget that quality modules are not easy to conceive of or make. Just as quality software is not easy to make. A break of a year or two is totally fine. Even if we never get another MI modules(which would be a great loss to the community) we already have a ton of excellent ones.

On another note, he is only one guy coming up with everything. I have no doubt it can be quite exhausting.

2d
joskery
Armstrb wrote:
Really interesting interview. Am a big fan of Olivier's and sorry he thinks Clouds was a mistake.

The way I read it, it was a mistake, design-wise. He said he's trying to get away from hidden functions or easter eggs and arbitrary functions not closely related to a module's core concept. In that sense, I can see why Clouds isn't his favorite.

Just thinking aloud here - my first reaction to him not really liking Clouds or Braids was slight disappointment. But on second thought, me and him aren't really thinking of the same things. He seems very intent on making the modules conceptually coherent, which isn't a prerequisite for nice music making machines.
ugokcen
Thanks for the article, it's full of gems. Then again, what else would you expect from Olivier?

Things that stand out for me:

- Olivier's surprise that not many users messed around with his code, instead another crazy programmer (Matthias Puech) wrote an alternative. I find this interesting in the sense that DSP programmers do not seem to realize how unique their set of skills are. Anyone with an engineering degree nowadays has some programming skills but signal processing for music applications is a world unto itself. I know a bit of coding but it would take me years to figure out and improve anything written by a professional. Of course by that time, technology would have moved on, updated hardware/software, making my efforts pointless. I suspect many people here feel the same and thus don't bother getting into the nitty-gritty of a digital module.

- Olivier thinks the synth world 10 years from now will be very different - as different 2017 is from 2007. I respectfully disagree. Creation and adoption of new technologies do not follow a linear trend. Sometimes you get a lot of change in a short period of time, and sometimes you get years of incremental improvements. My prediction is that the next ten years of Eurorack will be one of incremental improvements. We will have more streamlined designs, lower prices, and a lot more new users. Eurorack will become a household name in the same way Pro Tools for example did. If you are old enough to remember when Pro Tools first came out, you'd know that it had the same kind of mystique that modulars seem to posses these days. Few could afford it, and few knew how to use it. It could do things you never could with tape and give you an edge as a producer. Now, it's a standard tool in the recording/mixing engineers toolbox and you'd be surpised not to see it in a studio. I think Eurorack is going to be like that, maybe even sooner than 2027.
starthief
ugokcen wrote:
Olivier thinks the synth world 10 years from now will be very different - as different 2017 is from 2007.

hmmm..... That's the opposite of what I thought he said.

The world of plugins has changed in the last few years -- perhaps matured somewhat. Growth is not nearly as fast, more research goes into emulations, bigger and slower teams work on the major products, and the improvements are much smaller. There's still a healthy undergrowth but the forest looks the same from one year to the next. The action kind of shifted to iOS in a lot of ways, but also to desktop synths and Eurorack.
Daisuk
Dogma wrote:

Thanks a lot for posting this, much appreciated. thumbs up
Josef_K
Interesting interview and I'm happy he seems to agree with me. I'm planning to use Tides as the heart of my setup to begin with, and I'd love more modules that have minimal amounts of menu-diving and multi-functions that actually are connected with each other in an intuitive way.
eyetomymoon
Always much of interest and insight. And always about modular - philosophically - not just modules.

Confirmed work/s in progress is promising and I like where his head's at…

Do you think there are still many new frontiers in the field of synthesis that have not implemented yet in the world of Eurorack?

...And the future is not the only frontier, we can also look at the present. I think there are still many things to be discovered on boring, old-fashioned, small things like generating families of interesting LFO waveforms or musically useful random data. Just questioning things like "What knobs should there be on a filter module?", "Which waveforms should be available in an oscillator?", "What's in the space between an envelope generator and a sequencer?" is enough to enable interesting discoveries.

[Scroll down...]

Can we expect modules in your new framework that will answer questions like, "What's in the space between an envelope generator and a sequencer" (ref answer to Q6, above)?

Yes, but don’t nag me about it if it’s not released in the next six months, or is not released at all.

"Yes" will do me for now... (I'm quietly holding him to it)
dash80
Yes, great interview and thank you as well for linking!

I keep finding myself increasingly more attracted to the Mutable modules in my system and I've been able to grow with them more organically than any others. Olivier seems to have an understanding of this workflow and hearing him discuss it is refreshing and exciting.

I can't wait to see what comes next. hyper
hawkfuzz
I wonder if he was hinting at a sequencer. He did mention finishing the system at one point and that is missing. However, that might not be what he considers completing his system.
sammy123
Nice interview.

I can get why he wants to move a way from extra modes and easter eggs. All people did was complain about them....how he should change this or that or replace it with something else. Just reading those threads here and elsewhere can be frustrating. very frustrating
dash80
sammy123 wrote:

I can get why he wants to move a way from extra modes and easter eggs. All people did was complain about them....how he should change this or that or replace it with something else. Just reading those threads here and elsewhere can be frustrating.

I've stayed away from getting into any alt firmwares just because of all the problems I hear people having. I think the original firmware editions speak volumes on their own as is.
bemushroomed
Interesting. Strange that he doesn't like Braids. I think that's one of his best, it's very easy to navigate, the front is super clear and you totally get what everything is, no strange button presses to do this or that. Overall i really like the design in comparison to many of his newer modules.

The easter eggs things.. they're probably good when you get super comfortable with the module and can change back in an instant and you know where you are even if there's no display. As a designer it's probably quite important to remember to think in terms like "my module is not the only module that will exist in the rack" and "it will perhaps not be used as extensively as i have used it now for many months developing it".. Otherwise you might end up with quite a complicated interface that makes total sense to the developer but ends up being frustrating for the user who perhaps buys several modules monthly..
Zymos
Huge MI fan, and Braids is their only module I had and sold. (Except Clouds, but bought it again). I just found it kind of "meh".

I love the Easter Eggs and alternative FW- it's like getting a new module for free!
moremagic
hawkfuzz wrote:
I wonder if he was hinting at a sequencer. He did mention finishing the system at one point and that is missing. However, that might not be what he considers completing his system.
isnt frames somewhere between an EG and a sequencer, off the road to mixertown? Miley Cyrus
hawkfuzz
Ah you are correct.
Dragonaut
Really like this guys output but can't stand his attitude. Shruthi-1 helped him get where's he's at and in a prior interview he called it embarrassing. Clouds was a huge success and he calls it a mistake. Open source firmware and he's dissappointed musicians didn't spend more time coding to tailor it to his/their tastes. What is it going to take to make this guy happy, haha? And make sure you don't nag him or maybe there won't be anymore amazing mutable modules in the future. Are you guys nagging this guy??? Cut it out, we got a sensitive one over here.
Joe.
Dragonaut wrote:
Are you guys nagging this guy???

Yes. and it works.

MI Branches was just a once off limited run thing, but it got hassled into full production and now our racks are full of them.

It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11