MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Live performance
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Live performance
SuspiciousMind
Hey ppl

Give your insights about live performance with Eurorack. Is it just an improvisation or a process of programming? What are the most flexible modules for that? How great performers move from a track to another and change the drum patterns and the melodic lines?

Give me a taste Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
grep
This demo has some good insight into performing live, mostly discussing drums:

TemplarK
Its all how you make it with eurorack, some will program intricate patterns and just trigger things, some will play with live cv adjusting is as they go, others will make a mix, some will do it in a DAW and use things like Expert Sleepers.

There is no specific route only the end destination.
Sandrine
Try to automate as much as possible. Make the patches in a way that just a couple of changes can lead you into the next piece.
If ever I go blank, it's good to be somewhat automated myself too. Practice practice practice!
captjrab
Before you even plug in a patch cable, think about the space you want to create, the venue and the anticipated audience. Of course you can just show up without doing so and hope for the best, but if you can creatively stage your event with other performers or perhaps a visual element, you will have more confidence no matter what route you take to patching (live improv, pre-patched or a combo of).
Length of set is also something to consider. I played a half hour set at an experimental music venue which was a sit down thing (ie rows of chairs for the audience). The gig went well but two things occured to me by the end. My pre-patched idea had been fully canibalized so it devolved into improv. Most people I talked to thought that was the best part. Also, I was a little self conscious that the plastic folding chairs must be very uncomfortable after a while for the audience. So if this is the arrangement, remember there is a pain threshold for peoples bottoms. I suppose if u are doing a dance party the opposite may be true.
Sandrine
captjrab wrote:
... I suppose if u are doing a dance party the opposite may be true.

Dance party ya! WooWoo! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
spacezignul
Keeping things in sync and vca's are crucial. Im more into live improv and live patching rather than completelly sticking to something planned. I guess the more you play/practise the more confidence and natural ability you build and therefore more able to predict and execute your ideas and play with the sounds regardless of what kind of environement you are actually playing
anosou
I tend to start with a melodic motif and then add other elements through the same ADDAC207 four channel quantizer. Important to have a mixer (preferably with mutes) or VCAs so you can create something and then bring it in when it's ready to be heard.

My biggest challenges right now is creating variation on the fly. I tend to create elements but then they stay relatively static. Likely need to investigate some switches, similar modules or other ways of thinking.

I've also found that Voltage Block, while awesome, is really hard to do variation with when it's a melody sequencer. While you change a sequence you can hear those changes live, unquantized and ugly. :(

You can find some of my recordings (video) here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMv8g4Au3qQ1w-QGsGpxf01c6R9I-0u vm
intafon
Not sure if this is the right thread for this question ... is there a place where live performances (and upcoming performances) are posted? I can watch previous performances on youtube and places like that, but it would be nice to be in the loop for any local live performances that my be coming my way...
Kent
I moved this over to the "Play Out!" sub-forum as it seem appropriate for that spot, helps in keeping searches organized and may get more notice and information from people that do this regularly but with other formats.
intafon
Kent wrote:
I moved this over to the "Play Out!" sub-forum as it seem appropriate for that spot, helps in keeping searches organized and may get more notice and information from people that do this regularly but with other formats.

Thank!... um... large member...
Paranormal Patroler
Check Powwow audio on Youtube and Facebook for (amost) daily modular performances.

What you need is switches. Lots and lots of switches. I have a lot of switches on one live case, and on the other live case I added a matrix mixer (namely the MTX9) which serves a similar purpose, albeit in a more hands-on fashion.
intafon
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Check Powwow audio on Youtube and Facebook for (amost) daily modular performances.

What you need is switches. Lots and lots of switches. I have a lot of switches on one live case, and on the other live case I added a matrix mixer (namely the MTX9) which serves a similar purpose, albeit in a more hands-on fashion.

thanks! will check it out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1