MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyend Poly module + SEQ Sequencer (32 steps, 8 polyphonic)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Polyend Poly module + SEQ Sequencer (32 steps, 8 polyphonic)
esmeets
Awesome stuff!!! nanners

Poly 8ch midi to CV module:
https://polyend.com/poly/#seq

Ins:
MIDI DIN
USB A (5V)
USB B

Outs:
8x Gate (0-12V)
8x Pitch (0-12V, V/oct)
8x Velocity (0-12V)
8x Modulation (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)

External sequencer:
https://polyend.com/seq-sequencer/

• 8 tracks with 32 steps each
• 256 pattern memory
• Live sequence recording with external device via MIDI
• Step parameters: Note, Velocity, Length, Modulation, Roll
• Independent track play mode (Normal, Reversed, Pingpong, Random)
• Pattern chaining
• Track parameters: Length, Velocity, Scale, MIDI Channel, MIDI Out
• All parameter changes are automatically saved
paterursus
Thanks for posting this! The MIDI to CV looks really intriguing, and it's not a bad price for what it's offering.
pmarchitect
Only a grand eek!
beatcleaver
pmarchitect wrote:
Only a grand eek!

their site shows €489 to me
Jaypee
beatcleaver wrote:
pmarchitect wrote:
Only a grand eek!

their site shows €489 to me

489 for Poly Eurorack Module.
1 229 for the SEQ Sequencer.

sad banana

Super nice design, but way too much $$$$ for me
paterursus
pmarchitect wrote:
Only a grand eek!

Well, I was talking about the MIDI to CV converter. The sequencer is $1000.
esmeets
paterursus wrote:
Thanks for posting this! The MIDI to CV looks really intriguing, and it's not a bad price for what it's offering.

Yeah! I thought the same Rockin' Banana!
kwaidan
At $400, the CV to MIDI converter looks like a good deal, especially since it has velocity and modulation. I really didn't try to decipher how it handles note allocation. However, if it has a sort mode similar to Yarns, I will probably buy it.
spaceludes
Here is a quick rundown of the three options to handle note allocation:
https://youtu.be/K377fYRCX_A?t=2m9s
mdoudoroff
Polyend has been dropping a series of more in-depth tutorial videos on the SEQ. The first one is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k53BgFyPv8

[updated] As of this writing, there are nine. A playlist is here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5ajxrGywo514EYiSW_vu_MUQEwZRvM uB

I’m quite impressed with how clean and clear this design is.

I found the dimensions buried in the FAQ:

• Length: 23.6 in (60 cm)
• Width: 5.7 in (14.5 cm)
• Height: 1.7 in (4.3 cm)
• Weight: 4.6 lbs (2.1 kg)
spaceludes
Mine arrived yesterday, I'm very pleased so far.
2disbetter
I bought the poly module to help with poly duties, and have been really looking at the Seq. If they continue to embrace the MPE standard I might just have to get it, especially as it pairs perfectly with the Poly module.

2d
BTG
My seq is supposed to ship next week.
polyoptics
I got mine last Friday and had the weekend to test it out. I like this sequencer.
There are features missing that today's advanced sequencers can do, but I like the philosophy that Polyend has chosen.

I look forward to development and refinement of the software over time, I hope this is just the beginning for Seq. thumbs up

http://vimeo.com/226842019

Guinness ftw!
2disbetter
BTG wrote:

You don't use the Cirklon anymore? Everything I've read about it, always seemed to paint it as the ultimate sequencer, especially with the CV breakout box.

2d
xenosapien
Hm, almost 500€ (with shipping it´ll end up being close or even above) for the MIDI-2-cv module seems high at first glance...

Then again, it´s basically 2x qMI2´s...

This might be awesome for Octatrack users... like me... argh ^^
mdoudoroff
2disbetter wrote:

You don't use the Cirklon anymore? Everything I've read about it, always seemed to paint it as the ultimate sequencer, especially with the CV breakout box.

Process, process, process.
mdiprima
Anyone syncing the Polyend sequencer with an external clock?

I use my Analog Rytm as master clock into Polyend, but the polyend has sync issues with that. When changing patterns sometimes is misses a beat and gets out of sync.

Anyone else?
BTG
2disbetter wrote:
BTG wrote:

2d

I use both. Visualizing drum patterns is much easier on the seq.
spaceludes
mdiprima wrote:
Anyone syncing the Polyend sequencer with an external clock?

I use my Analog Rytm as master clock into Polyend, but the polyend has sync issues with that. When changing patterns sometimes is misses a beat and gets out of sync.

Anyone else?

Yes, I've synced it with a drumbrute, electribe, microkorg, and used internal clocking with no issues.
ff0
polyoptics wrote:
I got mine last Friday and had the weekend to test it out. I like this sequencer.
There are features missing that today's advanced sequencers can do, but I like the philosophy that Polyend has chosen.

Which are some of the more interesting/important features missing from the Polyend which other advanced sequencers can do?
Cheers
polyoptics
Thinking about the winter sequencer, monome, or the elektron stuff mostly. Just off the top of my head:
- The variety of sequencer types, traditional xox, vs something like monome's Kira which has its own unique and interesting way of working etc.
- Single step attributes, the whole conditional trigs thing, or just step probability... etc.
- How to interact with the sequencer, monome makes very good use of the grid as a display for visual feedback and even value entry (thinking scale selection, or voltage amount... even saves use a grid drawn shape for better visual feedback)

As I said before, I like their design philosophy a lot. You don't have millions of cryptic features that are difficult to remember between sessions -- its right there and its simple and does what it says it will do.
That said, I think polyend's SEQ is in the early stages. I know they have big plans and are working hard on it, and I look forward to more advanced set of features to come out over time. thumbs up
billyk419
someone's ears must be burning... Dead Banana

https://ask.audio/articles/polyend-releases-seq-hardware-step-sequence r-13-update
mayyammay
Poly and Seq are crazy amazing! Polyend did a wonderful job with the UX and made an incredibly intuitive product. All functions are easy to locate, access, and manipulate.

I know the price tag may be prohibitive, but I am glad I made the leap. It's so fun and wonderful to use right out of the box.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
SunSpots
I want to also chime in here and say that I got both of these in the last month and pretty much everyday have used them with much success and joy. There are some critical features listed above that I think would make the sequencer really off the charts. It's already extremely easy to use and do things that I sort of struggle to do on other sequencers that I considered to be pretty simple. I actually thought the sequencer would replace my eloquencer, but they actually played really well together. I was kind of hoping I could sell the eloquence her to make some of my money back but now... I'm thinking about keeping it. The polyend sequencer is so accessible I would even call it an inspiring instrument. With all that praise I still really think he needs to add a few more options and functions.

Clock division per step.
The electron new probability per step with " every four times" option
Visual melodic page, so we see the melody visually and design arpegg.
Maybe an alternate mode like Kria?
Pattern page needs visual feedback about what patterns have data in them
Maybe a way to take a track with cords and split the cords down into next four tracks so I can move the notes around....

Just some ideas that would add value
stikygum
Can the Polyend Poly be used with other sequencers that output midi? I have a Synthstrom Deluge already and am curious if I could use this as an expander for that as well. Or is the Poly only made to work with the Seq?
nangu
stikygum wrote:
Can the Polyend Poly be used with other sequencers that output midi? I have a Synthstrom Deluge already and am curious if I could use this as an expander for that as well.

Yep. It does 5-pin midi, usb midi, and even has a usb host mode.

http://polyend.com/poly/

I should try mine with Deluge, but it’s been attached to a Seq ever since I got it. What a great pair.. SlayerBadger!
mayyammay
SunSpots wrote:
The polyend sequencer is so accessible I would even call it an inspiring instrument.

So very true!

I hope Polyend has plans to add new functionality. However, I hope they do so without messing up the beautiful UX. Let's hope they are able to figure it all out!
stikygum
nangu wrote:
stikygum wrote:
Can the Polyend Poly be used with other sequencers that output midi? I have a Synthstrom Deluge already and am curious if I could use this as an expander for that as well.

Yep. It does 5-pin midi, usb midi, and even has a usb host mode.

http://polyend.com/poly/

I should try mine with Deluge, but it’s been attached to a Seq ever since I got it. What a great pair.. SlayerBadger!

Great! I'm debating on getting the Poly or the Expert Sleepers FH-1. The Poly has 32 outputs. Are the Gate, Note, Velocity and Modulation lanes restricted to using them only for their labeled purposes, or could you just use all 32 CV outs to modulate anything in your Eurorack? For example, if I weren't sequencing notes, would I not be able to use the 8 Note CVs for other duties?
nangu
stikygum wrote:
The Poly has 32 outputs. Are the Gate, Note, Velocity and Modulation lanes restricted to using them only for their labeled purposes, or could you just use all 32 CV outs to modulate anything in your Eurorack? For example, if I weren't sequencing notes, would I not be able to use the 8 Note CVs for other duties?

It isn't that configurable. You can set which MIDI controller number the last row (modulation) responds to using DIP switches on the back of the module, but that's it.

That means it's really simple to use- the manual is only two pages long, and the second page is just a list of which DIP switch settings to use in order to select the MIDI controller number.

Quote:
Outputs: • 8 Gate Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Pitch Outputs (0-12V, V/oct.) • 8 Velocity Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Modulation Outputs (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)
stikygum
nangu wrote:
stikygum wrote:
The Poly has 32 outputs. Are the Gate, Note, Velocity and Modulation lanes restricted to using them only for their labeled purposes, or could you just use all 32 CV outs to modulate anything in your Eurorack? For example, if I weren't sequencing notes, would I not be able to use the 8 Note CVs for other duties?

It isn't that configurable. You can set which MIDI controller number the last row (modulation) responds to using DIP switches on the back of the module, but that's it.

That means it's really simple to use- the manual is only two pages long, and the second page is just a list of which DIP switch settings to use in order to select the MIDI controller number.

Quote:
Outputs: • 8 Gate Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Pitch Outputs (0-12V, V/oct.) • 8 Velocity Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Modulation Outputs (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)

Awesome, thanks for the input. I realize I want the Poly because it's more straight forward than the FH-1. I like dedicated stuff, not jack of all trades modules.

Now I gotta find a place that has them for a good deal. I'm guessing they're $399 everywhere. The only place I saw was Vintage King Audio, but they have to special order this I think. Actually is this thing out?
nangu
stikygum wrote:
The only place I saw was Vintage King Audio, but they have to special order this I think. Actually is this thing out?

It’s out. Got mine along with a pair of SEQs last July. SlayerBadger!

Polyend shipped everything using EMS (which goes surprisingly fast) so buying directly from them might be your quickest way of getting one.

I don’t know of any US shops that have stock on hand, but I’m pretty well set so I haven’t really been keeping track.
stikygum
nangu wrote:
stikygum wrote:
The only place I saw was Vintage King Audio, but they have to special order this I think. Actually is this thing out?

It’s out. Got mine along with a pair of SEQs last July. SlayerBadger!

Polyend shipped everything using EMS (which goes surprisingly fast) so buying directly from them might be your quickest way of getting one.

I don’t know of any US shops that have stock on hand, but I’m pretty well set so I haven’t really been keeping track.

You had to pay import taxes and all that right? I think I may go with Vintage King Audio, because it's a flat rate of $399 out the door.
nangu
You don't have to pay import tax on anything that costs less than $800.

Go ahead and order direct.

I don't know anything about Vintage King, but if they don't have any in stock, they'll be ordering direct, just like you could..
stikygum
nangu wrote:
You don't have to pay import tax on anything that costs less than $800.

Go ahead and order direct.

I don't know anything about Vintage King, but if they don't have any in stock, they'll be ordering direct, just like you could..

I contacted Vintage King Audio, they showed me an invoice of $435, which includes tax and free shipping. Wouldn't I have to pay some sort of tax purchasing direct or would it be $399 flat.

The Polyend website does say it's $399, which includes $75 VAT and they off free shipping. And since it's in USD, I won't be charged a PayPal exchange rate fee. Could this be true? If so, I think I'm going to proceed.
nangu
You shouldn't need to pay any tax, including VAT - VAT is only for people who live in Europe.

I think the price has always been $399 and the thing where their cart system is mentioning VAT is just some kind of mixup, but you could certainly email them and ask about it.
Ptbarnum
Has anyone here got experience with the Polyend Seq vs. the squarp pyramid? I’d love to hear pros and cons of both.
Thanks!
stikygum
nangu wrote:
You shouldn't need to pay any tax, including VAT - VAT is only for people who live in Europe.

I think the price has always been $399 and the thing where their cart system is mentioning VAT is just some kind of mixup, but you could certainly email them and ask about it.

Ok, I'm going to go direct if I get it.

I just realized I've overlooked the CV.OCD. I need to look into that one a little more to see if it's too configurable or too much setup for my taste.
discohead
Does the Poly module do any smoothing or interpolation of the MIDI CC values like the FH-1 and Shuttle Control do? I'm guess that maybe it doesn't since it's sort of intended for their step sequencer. But it would be nice for MIDI LFO's from my OT.
peterpanderretter
Did anybody already tried it to combine with the Octatrack?
dhoinjo
A bit confused about the cv output. On the site and in the manual I read 12v/1v/oct. Does it send 1v/oct over 12 octaves or can you choose between Eurorack/moog calibrarion. In case of the latter: how do you do that and what is the default setting?
pzoot
For people using the Poly, can you address multiple inputs at once? For example could I use an Octatrack with DIN for Ch1-4 and an iPad or computer to control 5-8 at the same time?
pzoot
The answer to my question is ‘yes’ for those interested

Just got the Poly interface. Wow. So simple, but so powerful. I’m getting rid of my sequencers!!

I have had some bad luck (or skill) in the past with the more complicated ways of interfacing midi (or audio) to cv, from power to configuration. But I’ve always loved and used Numerology - my dreams to use with my modular always disappointed by hardware challenges.

The Poly is ridiculously simple to set up (remember to set the switches the way you want before putting in the case!) and you get 8x4 channels (I feel confident saying that’s enough for my setup)! The ability to use a step sequencer like Numerology or just record (and edit) midi clips in bitwig (or other daw), including harmonies, rhythmic counterpoints, polyrhythms, morphing, pattern change and unlimited memory, is a game changer for me personally. It’s not flexible in its routings, so perhaps there are better options for others, and doesn’t send audio rate signals obviously ... but for me simple was exactly what i needed to trust computer/modular interaction again. Great module!! Makes everything around it better if that’s the way you like to work

(And it also arrived from Poland 3 days after ordering in NY)
2disbetter
Excellent pzoot! I'm glad it is working out!

2d
dhoinjo
guess I will take the plunge as well then. thumbs up
pzoot
2disbetter wrote:
Excellent pzoot! I'm glad it is working out!

2d

Yes! Thanks for the advice 2d!!!
pzoot
In case it's interesting to anyone, here is a file showing the "template" I've set up with the Poly. I show each Poly channel in a different row to make it easier for me to read (I don't have 8 Polys!). And I don't show any modules that are not part of the template.

For my accompanying Five12 Numerology template, I have 8 corresponding Stacks. Each Stack has a Mono Note sequencer, an interval sequencer (for transposing the Mono Note) and a modulation sequencer (for controlling the Mod output of the Poly). Everything is controlled with one (soon to be two) Launchpad Mini using Five12's incredible controller script.

I run an ER-M Multiclock plug in out from Numerology to clock a Pamelas Ol' Workout, Knight's Gallop and Voltage Block too. And record multitrack live into Bitwig.

At some point, I'll create a similar template directly in Bitwig using Numerology VST instances and another set of 8 midi clip tracks. Just trying to keep as simple as possible for now

Both the Euro and the Numerology templates are subject to change on a whim ... they're both modular ... but it's a nice, fast, easy, predictable blank slate to start composing from. I can't imagine anything with a better combination of Power and Ease of Use for my personal preferences and workflow.

Enjoy!
dhoinjo
Just got mine yesterday. It is fantastic. No manual diving because it is so simple but instant complex sequences thanks to the many outputs. Together with the Octatrack it is a dream team.

SlayerBadger!
sharonsr
Would love to get some input from Poly user regardless the 12v tracking.

Currently have mother32 and QMI2 for midi to cv.

With mother32 , the range is -5v/0/+5v .so basically all I need is to set the oscillator on moog or vco6 to middle C note , than I play 10 octaves from low to hi.
Pitch is perfect and also I can play it along other sample based instruments ,pianos /violins and so on. Very important factor for me.

With QMI2 .the range is 0-5v , so I need constantly set lowest notes ,and always to figure out how to be in the same "pitch" area as other sampled instruments. Very annoying .

So how does it work with 12v on poly,simple pitch the osc to their lowest C and Poly will offset the pitch up?

Also, if only using the midi from DAW ,do I need the 5v from power supply?

Thanks
2disbetter
Not sure what you mean. Poly's jacks output 0 to 10v.

Poly works with midi, so midi cc note 60 should always get you C4. You'll need to tune your oscillators around this.

The poly needs the 5v rail. The 5v power is for the USB ports and powers anything plugged into it, and has a max draw of 500ma as per Polyend.

Edited to fix bad information.

2d
sharonsr
2disbetter wrote:

Poly works with midi, so midi cc note 60 should always get you C4. You'll need to tune your oscillators around this.

The poly can pull its 5v needs off of the 12v rail, so you don't have to use a 5v rail. The 5v power is for the USB ports and powers anything plugged into it, and has a max draw of 500ma. Coming off the 12v rail this is I think around 200ma.

2d

Thanks for your replay ,first its a great that I don't need extra 5v rail.

Yes, midi note 60 should give me C4(or C3 depends on terminology ) ,you right .
reference picture
So if I tune the OSC properly and assuming I don't have issue with tracking on the OSC side.
will Poly be able to send value from low -hi,C1-C7 ,without the need to retune/re-position the OSC?

thank you
dhoinjo
Quote:
will Poly be able to send value from low -hi,C1-C7 ,without the need to retune/re-position the OSC?

Yes.
sharonsr
dhoinjo wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

Thank you.
bryantcheramie
Ive had the sequencer and converter for a couple weeks now, and I think both units are great, but I do have 1 issue.

My only qualm is that the sequencer doesnt seem to handle being controlled by an external keyboard very well, i feel like it is probably a software issue. If I delete steps of a sequence and try to record over the empty spots, the deleted steps still seem to be blocked from recording over. I have to turn the unit on and off to get those spaces back for recording.

I also wish recording with a keyboard would allow for steps to be instantly overwritten while in record mode without the need to delete the steps prior, but thats just a personal preference. I've got my sequencing roots from the electribes, so thats where my instincts are personally. hah.
pzoot
dhoinjo wrote:
Just got mine yesterday. It is fantastic. No manual diving because it is so simple but instant complex sequences thanks to the many outputs. Together with the Octatrack it is a dream team.

SlayerBadger!

Nice!! Have fun! It’s really a brilliant module in its simplicity plus sheer quantity of outputs. It has actually been a game changer for me (and I’m not using that lightly). Obviously pointless for people that want to be 100% in the rack. But that’s not me
Koryo
2disbetter wrote:

...errr, no, 0 - 12V all jacks.

Quote:
The poly can pull its 5v needs off of the 12v rail, so you don't have to use a 5v rail.

...errr, no again. mine does not function unless it has 5V.

Quote:
The 5v power is for the USB ports and powers anything plugged into it

I'm going to go with no again. There are two power indicator LEDs on the PCB that are labeled 12V_OK and 3.5V_OK. Without 5V the module does not display the power up sequence and the 3.5V_OK is unlit. I'm out on a limb here but I surmise that the buffered jacks are 12V and the micro controller it 3.5V.

Anywho, brilliant module. In "First" and "Next" modes, you get hocking for free! Tomorrow, it meets a Linninstrument.
dhoinjo
don't know about the need of 5v. Not going to try and hook up mine without hihi
But if you don't have 5v on your bus board you can always use a Doepfer A-100 5V-Adapter to transfer current from the 12v to the 5v slot.
2disbetter
Koryo wrote:

...errr, no, 0 - 12V all jacks.

I'm basing this on a discussion I had with Polyend regarding why it is thus wired instead of the more common -5v to 5v. I was told 0 - 10v.

Koryo wrote:
...errr, no again. mine does not function unless it has 5V.

You are right. It does need a 5v rail.

Koryo wrote:
I'm going to go with no again. There are two power indicator LEDs on the PCB that are labeled 12V_OK and 3.5V_OK. Without 5V the module does not display the power up sequence and the 3.5V_OK is unlit. I'm out on a limb here but I surmise that the buffered jacks are 12V and the micro controller it 3.5V.

I was talking about what the maxium current the USB ports will pull. The Poly needs the 5v rail. See my previous comment regarding the jack outputs.

2d
Koryo
...I'm on the other side! Poly is a champ!

A Linnstrument on modular is quite wacky. Having 8 unquanitized volt octave channels with 8 gates, and 16 real time cv modulations at your finger tips is a whole new thing. Daunting really. I don't know how to describe it but it's like having 8 Ribbon Controllers combined with a 200 pad Make Noise Pressure Points.

I still have a ton of setup, MIDI tweaking and integration to do (NerdSEQ, Beatstep Pro and Keystep), but it really works. I just need to figure out how to record all this MIDI... Oh hello integrated Linnstrument sequencer.

I'm going back in!
pzoot
Wow that sound amazing
dhoinjo
don't forget to post some video's when your set up is complete. Sounds interesting!
Koryo
Shame on this wiggler keeping this awesomeness to himself. Looks like a Expert Sleepers Fader Host.

This gives you an Idea of what you're in for.
dhoinjo
wow
dhoinjo
After playing around with the poly and my Octatrack for a while I can say it is mindblowing how simple yet effective this module is. What I do is pair up two midi channels per voice. That gives me 4 voices and something that comes the closest to patch recalling I've experienced in Eurorack so far! Dead Banana
Hirsbro
Question! Do Seq, when in internal clock mode transmit midi clock? Mine doesn't for what I can tell hmmm..... l have the weirdest thing going on with circadian rhythm spassing out when Seq is in USB or midi clock slave mode so was figuring that I would use Seq as master and my DAW as slave but can't get Seq to transmit midi clock seriously, i just don't get it Never the less I absolutely love Seq
nihilicious
For any of the tracks, have you set the track midi out setting to whatever your midi output port is *plus* the clock option? Ie, out1+clk, out2+clk, or usb+clk instead of just out1, out2, or usb? (hold a track button + use note knob to set)
Hirsbro
nihilicious wrote:
For any of the tracks, have you set the track midi out setting to whatever your midi output port is *plus* the clock option? Ie, out1+clk, out2+clk, or usb+clk instead of just out1, out2, or usb? (hold a track button + use note knob to set)

Thanks man I found that out but I'm having trouble getting Cubase to respond to it and that's a different story confused
nihilicious
Sorry to hear that. I don't know Cubase but I am able to clock Bitwig with my Seq, so it should be possible in theory.
Hirsbro
nihilicious wrote:
Sorry to hear that. I don't know Cubase but I am able to clock Bitwig with my Seq, so it should be possible in theory.

Apparently cubase only response to midi time code and not midi clock d'oh!
JoPo
Sorry to bring back this thread but i'd like to be sure !

The poly module needs +5v only when using it as USB midi host, right ?

Many thanks !
dhoinjo
JoPo wrote:

The poly module needs +5v only when using it as USB midi host, right ?

nope. It needs 5v or it won't work
JoPo
Ah ! Thanks a lot !
Hirsbro
Pls Pls Polyend consider the option for each track to have clock devision Pls Pls
Oh yeah and the option for pattern change only when current pattern has finished
SunSpots
Hirsbro wrote:
Pls Pls Polyend consider the option for each track to have clock devision Pls Pls
Oh yeah and the option for pattern change only when current pattern has finished

would be nice as an option at least.
Also an option to make the "pattern" button a on/off, instead of a hold. because during fast songs with lots of changes I want to use both hands to switch between patterns. As it is right now, my left hand is stuck in the pattern button and I have to play one handed. I like playing things 2 handed.... helps me with timing and structures.

It would also be cool to get some stuff like play pattern 2x/3x/4x/5x then go to pattern xxx

or probability in when it switches to the next pattern, or if a note plays, or if a note is random.

There's a lot they could add and actually they have partially empty screens they could add them to...
Gribs
I read in the manual that the Poly's gate outputs are 0-12V and not 0-5V. Do you guys have any concerns with that?

I am.looking at more MIDI-CV for the E370.
dhoinjo
Gribs wrote:
I read in the manual that the Poly's gate outputs are 0-12V and not 0-5V. Do you guys have any concerns with that?

No problem whatsoever. And I have an E351. Works like a charm.
Gribs
dhoinjo wrote:
Gribs wrote:

No problem whatsoever. And I have an E351. Works like a charm.

Nice, thanks! I think I am going to try one.
ranix
I have two minor complaints regarding the Polyend Poly:

1. a channel should function if there is something plugged into Gate or pitch. I might not need a Gate output, and currently I have to block the Gate output with a disconnected 3.5mm plug in order to get access to Pitch when I don't need Gate

2. the Modulation outputs are kind of worthless in Poly mode as far as I can tell, they seem to all output the same signal. In Channel mode they are fine and work as expected, but I wish I could have access to more than one CC output when I am using First or Next

edit in bold, I didn't realize how confusing that was since this thread is about both the Seq and Poly
SunSpots
ranix wrote:
I have two complaints:

1. a channel should function if there is something plugged into Gate or pitch. I might not need a Gate output, and currently I have to block the Gate output with a disconnected 3.5mm plug in order to get access to Pitch when I don't need Gate

2. the Modulation outputs are kind of worthless in Poly mode as far as I can tell, they seem to all output the same signal. In Channel mode they are fine and work as expected, but I wish I could have access to more than one CC output when I am using First or Next

did you flip the jumper on the back? (just trying to understand the modulation problem you're having)
pzoot
ranix wrote:
I have two complaints:

For #2, how are you triggering it? An MPE controller, a regular MIDI controller or just multichannel feed? I wonder if that requires as MPE controller to get unique CCs?
SunSpots
does anyone know how to assign the cc from SEQ into ableton 10? I tried playing one note with a modulation value of various numbers and Ableton only notice the note, and never reads the cc... Is there a way to send cc independently? Or is there a way to manually tell Ableton what cc to look for?
pzoot
Sorry Sunspots - I don’t have a SEQ to check for you, just a Poly ... but I will say that this is the most confusing thread ever!! The posts bounce back and forth between SEQ and Poly questions and some (unlike yours) don’t even tell you which one the question relates too! SEQ does look great though. Good luck with the question
dhoinjo
Quote:
I will say that this is the most confusing thread ever!! The posts bounce back and forth between SEQ and Poly questions and some (unlike yours) don’t even tell you which one the question relates too!

I agree!
ranix
SunSpots wrote:
did you flip the jumper on the back? (just trying to understand the modulation problem you're having)

Oh, I'm not really having a problem.

It seems that the jumper on the back of the Polyend Poly, I don't have a SEQ sets the CC that controls the Modulation output of the Poly. When you change the DIP switches, it changes the CC for all of the Modulation outputs.

So, for example, if you have the DIP switches set to "34", then all the Modulation outputs are affected by CC#34.

This means that the modulation outputs work totally fine when the Poly is in Channel mode, since you can send different CC's on each channel. So, for example, you could send a low value on CH1 CC#34 and a high value on CH2 CC#34 and Modulation outputs 1 and 2 would have different values. However, when the Poly is in the polyphonic play modes (First or Next) all the Modulation outputs are affected by the same CC and all output the same voltage.

This seems kind of sad, and a waste of the ports, since you could just mult Modulation Output #1. I think it would be better if, in First or Next modes, the Modulation outputs were sequential CCs so if your CC DIP switches were set to 34, the Modulation outputs would respond independently to CC's 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42. Or maybe, they could continue to respond to CCs sent on different channels, even though the Poly is in a polyphonic mode, so we can still modulate them all independently.

Does that make sense?

I'm using a MIDI controller via MIDI DIN to control the Poly and have not yet tried to control it via USB or a DAW. I may misunderstand how to properly operate the Modulation outputs of the Poly.

edit in bold, I didn't realize how confusing that was since this thread is about both the Poly and Seq hihi
dhoinjo
Quote:
I think it would be better if, in First or Next modes, the Modulation outputs were sequential CCs so if your CC DIP switches were set to 34, the Modulation outputs would respond independently to CC's 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42

Good idea.
emojiseq
so has anyone had luck using the deluge? is it true that to use just say mod id also have to transmit pitch and gate? newb checking in here, thinking about poly/fh-2/nerdseq to pair with the deluge
pzoot
ranix: I wonder if that’s a practical limitation of using a regular midi keyboard sending on a single channel vs using an MPE capable keyboard that sends each note/cc on a separate channel? Perhaps the translation you describe is too much for the Poly to handle? Just a guess
d.thomas
dhoinjo wrote:
Quote:
I think it would be better if, in First or Next modes, the Modulation outputs were sequential CCs so if your CC DIP switches were set to 34, the Modulation outputs would respond independently to CC's 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42

Good idea.

Also agree with this.
pzoot
d.thomas wrote:
dhoinjo wrote:
Quote:

Good idea.

Also agree with this.

But doesn’t that break the MPE compatibility (which is a marketing point for the module) bc it expects the same CC on different midi channels? Perhaps could set as option with another jumper combination by losing one of CC select jumpers? But again not sure how much flexibility they have with the hardware given they designed for simplicity
ranix
pzoot wrote:
But doesn’t that break the MPE compatibility (which is a marketing point for the module) bc it expects the same CC on different midi channels?

Does it still continue to accept CCs on different channels when in First and Next modes? I thought switching it to First or Next caused it to listen to events from all midi channels and apply the event to the next sequential outputs.

If I can still send a CC on channel 2 and have it only affect modulation output 2 even when I'm in First or Next modes, then that's great! And there is no problem for me. I'll try it out, by reading the documentation and playing with the module I thought this was not the case
pzoot
The documentation is light at best so I’m not sure either. I know its MPE ready and I assumed that’s what MPE ready means. But it’s certainly possible that the CC doesn’t work correctly even with an MPE device. To be honest I haven’t tested that out (I generally use channel model myself). Hopefully it works!!! I’m demoing a seaboard block actually, so will try to test from an MPE perceptive at least to see if the CCs are independent and report back
pzoot
The new MPE MIDI spec seems to use CC74 for per note modulation. So maybe using 74 on your keyboard and the jumpers could work? (NOTE: The poly may need to receive a configuration message from your MIDI device to know its in MPE mode. I’m not sure and that’s beyond my level of MIDI expertise!! But at least this shows that not just any CC will work even for MPE)

“In addition to being able to express per-note pitch (Pitch Bend) and pressure (Channel Pressure), a third dimension of per-note control may be expressed using MIDI CC #74. “
ranix
I think "MPE ready" means absolutely nothing and implies nothing about how the device functions, and that it does nothing special when connected to an MPE
ranix
I just doublechecked, the Poly does behave like I said above. When in First or Next modes, all Modulation outputs are identical and output the exact same voltage regardless of anything.
pzoot
Ok :( I’ll check with the MPE device
Gribs
Well I just ordered a Poly from Polyend directly since I can't find any in the US right now. It is supposed to take something like 3-7 days.
pzoot
It’s awesome you’re going to love it. This is a side issue
echologist
Just received my Poly module. Have installed it in my Doepfer case, run a USB from my Macbook (Ableton) as well as a standard midi cable into the module but am seeing zero signs of life. No blinking lights and no CV. Am I missing something? Does it require a +5V adapter? hmmm.....

help help
echologist
Super fast support from Polyend! I do need a +5V adapter SlayerBadger!
d.thomas
echologist wrote:
Just received my Poly module. Have installed it in my Doepfer case, run a USB from my Macbook (Ableton) as well as a standard midi cable into the module but am seeing zero signs of life. No blinking lights and no CV. Am I missing something? Does it require a +5V adapter? hmmm.....

help help

Just for anyone else wondering -

Detailed power consumption for Poly module:
max 100mA on 5V, max50mA for +12V, 0mA for -12V
Nibson
I had a go on one of these at Superbooth and loved it. Very nice design. I wonder if someone can clear something up for me. I want to sequence a eurorack setup. Specifically use it as both a CV sequencer for modulation and for sequencing VCO's.

If I paired a SEQ with the Poly module, and Poly was set to channel mode, then it would be possible to set different CC values on the same step on say track 1 and 2 and Poly would output these voltages at modulation output 1 and 2 at the same time?

I'm correct in saying SEQ doesn't have portamento? So that would need to done within the rack?
Hirsbro
I've said this before... I say it again.. I really really really want to be able to have individual clock divisions on each track PLS!! Polyend!!
SunSpots
Hirsbro wrote:
I've said this before... I say it again.. I really really really want to be able to have individual clock divisions on each track PLS!! Polyend!!

email him from his website. every single time i've done that he replies pretty quickly and directly addresses my idea. One idea he actually said was pretty good and said he would mention it to his development team at the next meeting and see if it's something they would be able to do with current code.

and he gracefully shot down 3 or 4 of my other ideas lol.
Hirsbro
Yeah I chatted with them a bit on facebook got the impression that they see it as done and I /we should not expect a ton of new features perhaps a few adjustments
elinch
I mail sporadically since January. the other clockdiv should actually come. That's what they said at Namm. If not, that would be a pity. There are so many things that you can implement in the Seq. Glide would also be nice.

I already have the poly and wait with purchase of the seq until the clock div are implemented.
hemeroscopium
I had the pleasure of testing / playing it live for a while. It's nice in terms of how playable it is, but there are much more flexible solutions in euroland and outside of it for that price or less i think.
echologist
For the life of me I cant figure out how to get the modulation CV on the Poly working. I have set the first jumper to the upper position and all other jumpers (2-8) to the lower position.

I'm using this M4L sequencer:

As you can see in the image I have the LFO set to send a CC signal to 001 but I aint getting anything... very frustrating

Any help would be appreciated![/img]
d.thomas
echologist wrote:
For the life of me I cant figure out how to get the modulation CV on the Poly working. I have set the first jumper to the upper position and all other jumpers (2-8) to the lower position.

I'm using this M4L sequencer:

As you can see in the image I have the LFO set to send a CC signal to 001 but I aint getting anything... very frustrating

Any help would be appreciated![/img]

Trouble shooting checklist:
- Confirm that the Ableton track is receiving MIDI from Max (is the track armed? do you see data being sent?)
- Confirm that the track is outputting to the correct destination (check the track I/O settings and Global settings)
- Confirm that Poly is receiving MIDI data (play some notes or something)
- Select proper mode on Poly - First and Next need Gates patched into channels you want to use.
- If in Channel Mode make sure you are sending MIDI to the selected channel you want to use (check which channel your track is sending to)
- Double check rear panel jumpers are set correctly.
echologist
Trouble shooting checklist:
- Confirm that the Ableton track is receiving MIDI from Max (is the track armed? do you see data being sent?)
- Confirm that the track is outputting to the correct destination (check the track I/O settings and Global settings)
- Confirm that Poly is receiving MIDI data (play some notes or something)
- Select proper mode on Poly - First and Next need Gates patched into channels you want to use.
- If in Channel Mode make sure you are sending MIDI to the selected channel you want to use (check which channel your track is sending to)
- Double check rear panel jumpers are set correctly.[/quote]

Thanks a mil for this checklist. Guess I'm on a learning curve here and need to come to terms with some MIDI stuff... still not having any luck.

The jumpers on my poly are set like this:

Tried sending a midi message to the poly using this LFO:

No luck. Stumped.
pzoot
How about a screenshot of the Ableton track’s midi output settings?

And you have channel selected on the front of the Poly unit?
pzoot
Also, did you confirm that simple midi notes were working, maybe by playing a midi clip back on that track first?
echologist
Morning from upstate NY,

Poly is set to channel... Ableton set up like:

pzoot
That looks ok to me. Do simple midi notes work to send gates and pitch? If so, can you draw in mod wheel data into your clip and check that way? I don’t use ableton so not sure how/if M4L is the complication here
echologist
pzoot wrote:
That looks ok to me. Do simple midi notes work to send gates and pitch? If so, can you draw in mod wheel data into your clip and check that way? I don’t use ableton so not sure how/if M4L is the complication here

Hmmm... when I draw in a mod wheel data or even volume data it doesn't effect anything which could be the root of this problem.

pzoot
Do you have a midi keyboard? If so, can you plug it directly into the Poly to confirm all four things work? If that checks, then at least you (sort of) know you need to troubleshoot on the ableton side ... unfortunately I’m useless to you there. I’d have to guess it’s some simple fix in your routings somewhere? But, if the midi keyboard direct doesn’t work either, I guess it could be a faulty module. You should definitely reach out to polyend though ... they are very helpful and responsive
pzoot
Does ableton have midi message filtering on hardware outputs?
echologist
pzoot wrote:
Do you have a midi keyboard? If so, can you plug it directly into the Poly to confirm all four things work? If that checks, then at least you (sort of) know you need to troubleshoot on the ableton side ... unfortunately I’m useless to you there. I’d have to guess it’s some simple fix in your routings somewhere? But, if the midi keyboard direct doesn’t work either, I guess it could be a faulty module. You should definitely reach out to polyend though ... they are very helpful and responsive

OK, I plugged my Arturia Keystep directly into Poly after I made sure I had all midi settings correct in the Arturia midi control center. I assigned the modwheel top CC 1 and still no response from the CV output which I had assigned to a filter on my module... I have been chatting with Jacek but just troubleshooting every possible thing before I return the module...
echologist
pzoot wrote:
Does ableton have midi message filtering on hardware outputs?

Good question, I shall investigate
echologist
Have tried using a midi cable from the beatstep into the Poly and still no action from the modulation CV... seriously, i just don't get it
pzoot
Sorry :( having to troubleshoot is no fun. One more idea ... maybe (carefully) move the dip switches around on the back, maybe to the highest midi # and try setting everything to that? They look like they’re in the right position but maybe somethings loose there?
pzoot
Actually CC126 is the exact opposite position of the switches. It’s a long shot I know.

Did you confirm that gate and pitch work? What about velocity?
echologist
pitch, gate and velocity work great. I actually just switched dipstick switched to CC 2 and still nothing... gonna try CC126 now...

I absolutely appreciate you walking me thru this. I so badly want this module to work properly! we're not worthy

pzoot wrote:
Actually CC126 is the exact opposite position of the switches. It’s a long shot I know.

Did you confirm that gate and pitch work? What about velocity?
echologist
Sadly, no luck with CC126 either... very frustrating
pzoot
If you getting pitch gate and velocity then midi is flowing correctly. Since you tried multiple devices for mod CC and mine worked, it seems like a hardware issue unfortunately. Now you are completely out of anywhere I can be helpful!! Hopefully Polyend sorts you out quickly

Maybe one other thing to try just to see if the DIP switch contraption is completely shot ... if you move switch 8 up it should change you from channelized (each channel is a different track) to drum mode (each note is a different track). If that doesn’t work perhaps that narrows down possibilities. Also, you could try sending other CCs - perhaps it’s “stuck” on CC0 or something?

Good luck! It’s a great module and, unfortunately, we all get an unlucky draw every once in a while (I’m dealing with it right now on another module!!)
echologist
pzoot wrote:
If you getting pitch gate and velocity then midi is flowing correctly. Since you tried multiple devices for mod CC and mine worked, it seems like a hardware issue unfortunately. Now you are completely out of anywhere I can be helpful!! Hopefully Polyend sorts you out quickly

Maybe one other thing to try just to see if the DIP switch contraption is completely shot ... if you move switch 8 up it should change you from channelized (each channel is a different track) to drum mode (each note is a different track). If that doesn’t work perhaps that narrows down possibilities. Also, you could try sending other CCs - perhaps it’s “stuck” on CC0 or something?

Good luck! It’s a great module and, unfortunately, we all get an unlucky draw every once in a while (I’m dealing with it right now on another module!!)

Have tried every dipswitch configuration and every midi CC to no avail... Now waiting on polyend. Will keep you posted. What module are u having issues with? Big thanks again for your patience and input!
SunSpots
Just in case someone else is having a mental moment like I was in order for the seq to sync clock to MIDI at least one of your tracks has to be USB+clk or midi Chan. So say track 1 needs to have it selected.
This allows the seq to start and stop ableton if ableton settings are correct (EXT button)

Now if anyone has a good way for Ableton to assign midi CC I would really appreciate it. I am still feeling like a signing midi CC in Ableton is such a chore and I just don't do it because it's so out of the way. Maybe I should try Robert Henkes program for that
echologist
So I finally figured out the CV modulation issue I was having... for me CC55 on channel 1, CC56 on channel 2 etc... working perfectly

This module is incredible. SlayerBadger!
pzoot
Amazing! Congrats! Nice work!!
echologist
Thx again for your help. If ever you’re in Patterson NY, beer’s on me! Guinness ftw!

pzoot wrote:
Amazing! Congrats! Nice work!!
ranix
echologist wrote:
So I finally figured out the CV modulation issue I was having... for me CC55 on channel 1, CC56 on channel 2 etc... working perfectly

wow echologist this is the same thing that's vexing me! How did you get that to work? If you can share I would really appreciate it!
echologist
Make sure you have the dispsticks set up as I have in the image a few posts up...

Im running USB from my macbook (USB hub) into the Poly with patch cables running CV from channel 1 on the poly into my X0X heart module. Im using this maxforlive seq and as you can see in the image I have the CC on the LFO set to 55...

ranix wrote:
echologist wrote:

wow echologist this is the same thing that's vexing me! How did you get that to work? If you can share I would really appreciate it!
pzoot
I can only imagine your joy when all of a sudden the filter cutoff finally moved when you reached #55!! It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners
echologist
Sheer ecstasy brother! My M303 and X0X heart have not sounded better!

pzoot wrote:
I can only imagine your joy when all of a sudden the filter cutoff finally moved when you reached #55!! It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners
mikmanner
EDIT - Solved this with the Erica Synths Midi > Clock v2

I wonder if someone can help me, I have Seq and Poly but I don't want to use a channel of poly to get the clock information from Seq - any ideas of how to do this? I was thinking of using another midi port out of seq to go into another module to get the clock out of it, maybe 2hp MIDI but I'm not sure if that will work. Any ideas?
mikmanner
First Jam with the Seq + Poly

jones
SunSpots wrote:
I want to also chime in here and say that I got both of these in the last month and pretty much everyday have used them with much success and joy. There are some critical features listed above that I think would make the sequencer really off the charts. It's already extremely easy to use and do things that I sort of struggle to do on other sequencers that I considered to be pretty simple. I actually thought the sequencer would replace my eloquencer, but they actually played really well together. I was kind of hoping I could sell the eloquence her to make some of my money back but now... I'm thinking about keeping it. The polyend sequencer is so accessible I would even call it an inspiring instrument. With all that praise I still really think he needs to add a few more options and functions.

Clock division per step.
The electron new probability per step with " every four times" option
Visual melodic page, so we see the melody visually and design arpegg.
Maybe an alternate mode like Kria?
Pattern page needs visual feedback about what patterns have data in them
Maybe a way to take a track with cords and split the cords down into next four tracks so I can move the notes around....

Just some ideas that would add value
+1 on the Alt mode like Kria
Tonefloat01
Any real world experience using the POLY module to sequence their modular racks on a Mac via Logic Pro X and/or Ableton? Really thinking about getting this module because it seems set & forget and is straightforward compared to menu driven and reliant on additional and costly expanders to get the same basic functionality.

Poly 8ch midi to CV module:
https://polyend.com/poly/#seq

Ins:
MIDI DIN
USB A (5V)
USB B

Outs:
8x Gate (0-12V)
8x Pitch (0-12V, V/oct)
8x Velocity (0-12V)
8x Modulation (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)
pzoot
I use the Poly with Logic, Bitwig and Numerology via USB B input. The Poly shows up like any other MIDI port and responds to channel 1-8 (in channel mode). Couldn’t be easier
lrclazer
mikmanner wrote:

Sounds incredible - great work!

I've been interested in this combo - do you need to use an entire channel for clock or is there some other way of sending that from the SEQ?
Tonefloat01
Great! Thanks for the information, very much appreciated! applause
mikmanner
lrclazer wrote:
mikmanner wrote:

Sounds incredible - great work!

I've been interested in this combo - do you need to use an entire channel for clock or is there some other way of sending that from the SEQ?

I use Erica Synths MIDI to Clock v2 module to get the clock out of seq without needing to use a track. I need to use a MIDI thru box to split the midi out tho.
mikmanner
If I play a C3 on a MIDI keyboard (have tested with multiple) into the Poly, the note played is extremely high and it doesn't track pitch unless I play from c-2 upwards. Anyone else noticing this?
mikmanner
mikmanner wrote:
If I play a C3 on a MIDI keyboard (have tested with multiple) into the Poly, the note played is extremely high and it doesn't track pitch unless I play from c-2 upwards. Anyone else noticing this?

From Polyend:

"As you probably know there are different conventions for setting up voltage for C1, and in Poly we have chosen the most popular one (or at least in our opinion:). There's no way to change that for the in Poly, but you may use some kind of a voltage divider module to change it in the way you'd like to have."

I'm not sure I fully understand this though, so does this mean that the STO, Elements and Assimil8or I use an unpopular method for setting C1?
Hirsbro
mikmanner wrote:
it doesn't track pitch unless I play from c-2 upwards.

I don't quite get this? can you elaborate? sorry :(
I have no pitch(CV) problems with my Poly, cant you just transpose your MIDI controller down a few octaves? sorry I'm not sure I get the question/problem seriously, i just don't get it
mikmanner
Hirsbro wrote:
mikmanner wrote:

I have no pitch(CV) problems with my Poly, cant you just transpose your MIDI controller down a few octaves? sorry I'm not sure I get the question/problem seriously, i just don't get it

Sure - so if I press C3 on my keyboard, the pitch that comes out of the Poly module and into an oscillator it results in to c6.

For example if I tune an oscillator to C3, then press C3 through the poly it comes out as C6. Tested this with STO, Assimil8or and Elements, using a keystep, maschine, ipad and Seq going into the Poly module.

I can transpose my keyboard down, but that means that C0 on the keyboard is C3, and I can only transpose down to C-2. So I have to also pitch down my oscillators, if I pitch the assimil8or down I'm pitching a sample down to -36 .

It's not a massive deal just a bit annoying and I'm a bit confused by it.
Hirsbro
mikmanner wrote:
Hirsbro wrote:
mikmanner wrote:

Sure - so if I press C3 on my keyboard, the pitch that comes out of the Poly module and into an oscillator it results in to c6.

For example if I tune an oscillator to C3, then press C3 through the poly it comes out as C6. Tested this with STO, Assimil8or and Elements, using a keystep, maschine, ipad and Seq going into the Poly module.

I can transpose my keyboard down, but that means that C0 on the keyboard is C3, and I can only transpose down to C-2. So I have to also pitch down my oscillators, if I pitch the assimil8or down I'm pitching a sample down to -36 .

It's not a massive deal just a bit annoying and I'm a bit confused by it.

So what ur saying is that there is a 3 octave offset in the Poly oki. I understand that that can be annoying with modules like the assimil8or but with VCOs I would not even notice I would just tune it down so things were aligned.
Hirsbro
"v2.0

Updates
- New Tempo knob functionality. Used with a track button gives an access to a per-track tempo divider/multiplier, MIDI channel input, MIDI channel output, MIDI output source (two last positions moved from the Note knob section).
- The start button resets the cue point for all the tracks.
- Added per track step retrigger - click and hold down the Move knob and indicate the step/s on a track/s you want to retrigger from.
- New rolls behaviour, they work on the whole length of a step now.
- Added new roll Velocity Curve - Random.
- Added roll Note Curve - each step in the roll's length will trigger notes in a scale set to the particular track - Flat, Inc, Dec, Inc-Dec, Dec-Inc, Random.

Fixes
- Toggle on/off of a step with roll attached won't lose the roll parameter anymore.
- All the previous user reported bugs are now removed.
- The increased refresh rate for the incoming MIDI signals.
- Unstable behaviour while on an external MIDI clock in the first phrase was fixed."

From
http://polyend.com/firmware-update/

hyper
Spackfiller
mikmanner wrote:
mikmanner wrote:

From Polyend:

"As you probably know there are different conventions for setting up voltage for C1, and in Poly we have chosen the most popular one (or at least in our opinion:). There's no way to change that for the in Poly, but you may use some kind of a voltage divider module to change it in the way you'd like to have."

I'm not sure I fully understand this though, so does this mean that the STO, Elements and Assimil8or I use an unpopular method for setting C1?

Simplest voltage divider is a pair of resistors in series taking a tap from the middle of the pair, you could modify this into an end of a 3.5 lead. Probably aim for 1 mA current draw on the leads so;

V = IR, I = 0.001, V = 12, which gives R as 12K

For your trigger then use 7K & 5K with the 5K one end going to ground and the 7K going to the 12V output and both commoned in the middle and take your trigger from there.

The thing I didn't state is that some modules may need more than 1 mA to trigger, check individual specs and adjust resistor values as necessary.
learntoswim
So Poly just uppitches everything I feed it 3 whole octaves (which is insane right?)

I saw someone reply "I wouldn't even notice and just de-tune".. well you would surely notice a 3 octave jump.. it just doesn't make any sense to me that this is the "most popular way" says Polyend..

I can literally turn my freq knob all the way to the left on my oscillators, and still never get a low register.. so they are basically making buy a voltage divider?? for all 8 channels??? that seems crazy.. I love the idea of my Poly and SEQ.. it's great with my prophet6 and eurorack drum modules, but I would sure like to use the pitch outs on my Poly like any normal sequencer..

Any updates on this would be cool, thanks all!
MikeLeeBirds
Saw some unanswered questions related to Deluge.
I have one myself. Any Delugers with a Poly out there?

I love what I‘ve seen of SEQ so far, but since I have a Deluge I want to get the most out of that first.

My question: would anyone recommend Poly over Hermod to connect Deluge to the modular?

And then: has anyone used SEQ through Hermod?

What’s nice about Hermod is that it’s a sequencer on its own, which is nice for the times I don‘t bring the Deluge (or maybe SEQ in the future).
StoneAgeOfTheFuture
dhoinjo (or anyone else who uses Octatrack MK2 with Polyend Poly) - do you know if you can assign the fader in the Octatrack to the CC in the Poly?
I'm wondering if I can use the A/B scenes like mod wheels to my filters and as envelope generators using the CC outputs.
Thanks!
Koryo
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Saw some unanswered questions related to Deluge.
I have one myself. Any Delugers with a Poly out there?

I love what I‘ve seen of SEQ so far, but since I have a Deluge I want to get the most out of that first.

My question: would anyone recommend Poly over Hermod to connect Deluge to the modular?

And then: has anyone used SEQ through Hermod?

What’s nice about Hermod is that it’s a sequencer on its own, which is nice for the times I don‘t bring the Deluge (or maybe SEQ in the future).

I use a Deluge to control a modular system. I had some confusion when I first set it up. I wanted to use 2X Polys because it is printed on the PCB of the Poly right next to the DIP switches; "Channels 9-16". Turns out that the first gen Poly does not function that way. Then the Hexinverter - Mutant Brain came out. This makes the solution even better in my opinion.

I programed the Mutant Brain to handle all the triggers, gates, and clocks with 4 CV modulators on channels 9-16 with some of the triggers on different notes of a singular channel providing 12 gates/triggers. The Poly handles all the melodic gate and modulation stuff on channels 1-8.

The back end has two bits of shenanigans going on to complete the system. The Deluge is plugged via USB into a iConnectAUDIO4+, out from there to a MIDI Solutions Quadra to the Mutant Brain and the Poly.

So the final tally:
20 gates or triggers
28 CV

With the use of the Deluge's conditional or probabilistic triggers/gates/notes, unlimited tracks, poly and unlimited tack length, 64th notes, note row muting, nothing but a DAW surpasses it.
liquidsn
Just got the POLY.

In Ableton, playing a C-0 shows up as 2 volts on my oscilloscope. I can't get my OSCs tuned that low. My lowest are piston honda & Hertz Donut. Those are C-0 as 0 volts.

So basically I have to play C-2 in Ableton to get C-4 in modular. And it tracks great.

Is this an Ableton thing or a POLY thing? seems weird that C-0 outputs 2 volts.
Koryo
liquidsn wrote:
...In Ableton, playing a C-0 shows up as 2 volts on my oscilloscope... Is this an Ableton thing or a POLY thing?

*Scratches head Hmmm....

via Polyend: 8x Pitch (0-12V, V/oct)

I think its a pc MIDI implementation thing or and Ableton thing.
Koryo
Koryo wrote:
liquidsn wrote:
...In Ableton, playing a C-0 shows up as 2 volts on my oscilloscope... Is this an Ableton thing or a POLY thing?

*Scratches head Hmmm....

via Polyend: 8x Pitch (0-12V, V/oct)

I think its a pc MIDI implementation thing or and Ableton thing.

After some research, nope. Nothing wrong. A0 is common for the low note of a piano, however that's not where it stops. C-2 (c negative two) is zero volts on the Poly and I assume in the one volt per octave eurorack / MIDI conversion.

I suggest you go to the basement, because that's where all the bass went.
thrillvector
I’m using a Polyend Poly and want to sync my pingable LFOs and pingable MMF to the Digitakt’s MIDI clock. How would I go about doing that? Is a clock module required? Someone mentioned earlier in this thread the Erica Synths MIDI to Clock V2 and a MIDI THRU box... Would Poly + Pamela’s New Workout be able to achieve the goal?
Koryo
thrillvector wrote:
I’m using a Polyend Poly and want to sync my pingable LFOs and pingable MMF...

Just set one track to output a gate/note at whatever tempo you wish. Patch that channel from the Poly to a mult and then to whatever needs to be synced.
thrillvector
Thanks! Although the ping takes up one of eight MIDI tracks on the Digitakt, a sequenced ping on a filter or LFO sounds very interesting.
Ruiner
I find myself not using the velocity and modulation outputs on the SEQ and POLY because I don't think I quite understand it....

Can anyone explain how the MIDI values of 0-127 correlate to control voltage when using it with the POLY module?

When I change velocity on the SEQ and have NOTHING plugged into the velocity or mod outputs it still changes the sound of the pitch I guess? Is that supposed to happen? Why does it happen?

I tried plugging the velocity into a VCA and also other areas like a filter and same with the mod so I could understand what's going on but I can't seem to grasp it.
Chartreuse-J
Ruiner wrote:
I find myself not using the velocity and modulation outputs on the SEQ and POLY because I don't think I quite understand it....

Can anyone explain how the MIDI values of 0-127 correlate to control voltage when using it with the POLY module?

When I change velocity on the SEQ and have NOTHING plugged into the velocity or mod outputs it still changes the sound of the pitch I guess? Is that supposed to happen? Why does it happen?

I tried plugging the velocity into a VCA and also other areas like a filter and same with the mod so I could understand what's going on but I can't seem to grasp it.

On a scope, I see no voltage change from the Modulation outputs. I have never gotten Modulation to work with a sequence running on SEQ no matter what parameters I input. Would be nice to understand how to get it to work properly.
Ruiner
Chartreuse-J wrote:
Ruiner wrote:

On a scope, I see no voltage change from the Modulation outputs. I have never gotten Modulation to work with a sequence running on SEQ no matter what parameters I input. Would be nice to understand how to get it to work properly.

I got a message back from them saying:

“ 0 midi velocity = 0V, 127 midi velocity = 12V scaled proportionally”

I also read something about dipswitchea on the back but haven’t looked at that yet
StoneAgeOfTheFuture
I love my brand new Polyend Poly! It works great with my Octatrack MKII. However, track 2 doesn't seem to be outputting the correct CV. The pitch isn't changing. When I plug other oscillators into track 2, they also don't work - so it's not my oscillator. My OctatrackMK2 doesn't seem to have any weird settings on that track, either. So I'm at a loss as to why this is an issue.
Could it be defective? Has anyone else experienced this? hmmm.....
Thanks
ckwjr
No experience with the Octatrack, but I use the Poly extensively with the Digitone midi tracks and have never had any problems.
dbeats
Polyend now offers the (old) Poly for free in a bundle if you buy a Seq. This is a very attractive offer in my eyes. They do this because of the announcement of the new Poly 2 module, expected this late summer.

As much as I like special offers, I am also always tempted to go for the best or most up-to-date product version, of course. Am I right in summarizing the following few main disadvantages with the old Seq+Poly?:
- C0 plays as C3 because there are no negative note voltage outputs on Poly
- clock uses up one track gate output, reducing the tracks to 7
- MIDI configuration not very flexible for "note independent cv modulation purposes" and in first/next polyphony mode

Does anyone already know how these issues will be solved or not with the upcoming Poly 2, especially the first one?
dbeats
Well, I think I found out myself:
Quote:

- C0 plays as C3 because there are no negative note voltage outputs on Poly

Should be the same problem with Poly 2 because the DAC only outputs positive voltages (0-8v I think). Same also with BSP et al btw. It seems that only the Shuttle Control can output bipolar voltages. Maybe for the price of peak accuracy, I don‘t know.

Quote:

- clock uses up one track gate output, reducing the tracks to 7

This one is a mixed bag with the Poly 2 IMO, because with clock using up one cv output you can still configure 8 (even 9) cv/gate voices. But the total number of cv outs is significantly reduced from 32 to 20. So you lose many of the velocity and modulation outputs.

Quote:

- MIDI configuration not very flexible for "note independent cv modulation purposes" and in first/next polyphony mode

Solved with Poly 2 I think.

Still not sure what to do now. The lack of negative voltage outputs is a major issue for me. Maybe I should go with the Shuttle Control then, but together with the Seq it‘s a huge amount of gas for just a midi controller setup.
Neo
Does anyone know if Poly 2 can do legato for overlapping notes on a mono channel?
robotsounds
learntoswim wrote:
So Poly just uppitches everything I feed it 3 whole octaves (which is insane right?)

I saw someone reply "I wouldn't even notice and just de-tune".. well you would surely notice a 3 octave jump.. it just doesn't make any sense to me that this is the "most popular way" says Polyend..

I can literally turn my freq knob all the way to the left on my oscillators, and still never get a low register.. so they are basically making buy a voltage divider?? for all 8 channels??? that seems crazy.. I love the idea of my Poly and SEQ.. it's great with my prophet6 and eurorack drum modules, but I would sure like to use the pitch outs on my Poly like any normal sequencer..

I agree, this makes the Poly really unusable for me as a voice midi to cv converter.

I cannot tune any of my VCOs low enough, and my Mordax Data certainly cannot even register the pitch of my VCOs when the dial is turned all the way left.

This makes the DAW -> midi cable ->Poly unusable for bass lines as I just cannot get anywhere near low enough.

Back to expert sleepers for the moment, which is great but a pain to get working with multiple channels (pitch, gate, trigger, velocity etc)

Polyend is there no way to change this behaviour on the Poly?
j_dowe
robotsounds wrote:
learntoswim wrote:

I agree, this needs to be more flexible.

Crash
pg1
j_dowe wrote:
robotsounds wrote:
learntoswim wrote:

I agree, this needs to be changed.

Crash

Still waiting on mine but i also hope this is changed.

Pattern change only being instant and no option to change at the end of the pattern is a weird one too, the manual basically says it was designed like that on purpose, unless that has changed with most recent firmware? Seems daft not to have the option to choose.

Anyone used one of these with an assimil8or? Hoping to able to use all those extra cv ins with polys velocity / modulations outs etc but am a bit worried reading comments about the modulation outs not working at all.
Neo
learntoswim wrote:

Looks like this is what's happening:
Poly outputs midi notes 0 - 127 as 0 - 12V (or more likely 0 - 10.666V)
C0 = 2V which means they are probably calling note 60 C3
note 0 would then be C-2 (C negative 2, as mentioned earlier in the thread) and 0V
So notes between midi 0 and 12 are between 0 and 1V.

In other words, to play bass notes you need to transpose your sequence down on the sequencer
j_dowe
Neo wrote:
learntoswim wrote:

Looks like this is what's happening:
Poly outputs midi notes 0 - 127 as 0 - 12V (or more likely 0 - 10.666V)
C0 = 2V which means they are probably calling note 60 C3
note 0 would then be C-2 (C negative 2, as mentioned earlier in the thread) and 0V
So notes between midi 0 and 12 are between 0 and 1V.

In other words, to play bass notes you need to transpose your sequence down on the sequencer

Yeah, I'm transposing down to C-2 and getting a really low C (around 33 Hz) on my Teleharmonic w/ the tuning turned almost all the way counter clockwise.

C1 ends up being middle C in Ableton ... and C-2 is three octaves lower.

My NTO can tune 1.5 octaves lower on the lowest midi note... which is ridiculously low.

So, as long as your oscillator can tune down a few octaves this should work fine.
BlinkyLights
Is there a plan to increase track count beyond 8 and step length beyond 32?
Richard deHove
pg1 wrote:

Pattern change only being instant and no option to change at the end of the pattern is a weird one too, the manual basically says it was designed like that on purpose, unless that has changed with most recent firmware? Seems daft not to have the option to choose.

This is the one thing that really turns me off. Very odd. I take it there's still no option? The only choice being to set up chained patterns?
soundslikejoe
New user... acquired a Poly 1. Have it hooked up to Cubase via USB. I seem to have issues with Gate not sustaining, and similar glitchy behavior (skipping notes).

Are there any known issues? Firmware updates? Etc. The same sequence played fine from a Hermod and via Silent Way.
Richard deHove
Another first day new user here. Was initially concerned about the track pitch issue. But in my very limited first use, can't it be very simply avoided by just setting the "track root note" a couple of octaves up? I can easily have super-low bass that way. Or am I missing something?
Sounds From The Shed

Initially posted this on the wrong thread hmmm.....

I used the Seq to sequence the 6 Medusa voices on seperate channels

Tricky with only 1 filter and Env Gen but used a few Medusa features to vary the sound.
wxyz
pzoot wrote:
Ok :( I’ll check with the MPE device
Any luck with this?
Richard deHove
Just six weeks old and my Seq is going back to Poland to repair a malfunctioning pad cry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 8