MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My IKEA PAX Eurorack Music Station! #ikeahacks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author My IKEA PAX Eurorack Music Station! #ikeahacks
flx
EDIT:
I filmed a video w00t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMG3Bh7oQwE

-------
I don't know about you, but my music workspace is constantly messy. While this is obviously good for the creative processes (of course!), it's a bit of an eyesore when not in use. I also don't like to constantly rearrange instruments and having to figure out cabling and power supply.

So after trying out various setups over the years and doing some research, I came up with a seemingly awesome solution: the IKEA PAX wardrobe system!

You can configure it online or at the store in great detail to fit your needs exactly! I started with this:

236x100x60cm, four drawers, one slide-out tray, two shelves thumbs up

I also wanted to get some 19" rack equipment and a 12U Eurorack system in there, which would fit the inside width nicely. It barely doesn't fit two 19" racks next to each other however, but one 19" rack and one 84hp Eurorack works great. I got some wood and built a frame:

... adding Eurorack power DIY-style:

... adding Eurorack rails:

... screwed the frame into the PAX wardrobe:

... and here is the (almost) final result nanners
LEFT: closed and inconspicuous, RIGHT: open and ready to rock!

I mounted my Zoom R16 mixer/recorder on the inside of the right door. It connects to a patch bay where all my equipment is also connected to.

The slide-out tray is a little above waist height, so it's very comfortable to jam standing up:

Cable holder on the left door:

Added some LED strips and a green screen for my YouTube video projects:

Disco!!! screaming goo yo (click the image)

Drawer full of synths:

Drawer full of cables:

Here's a list of components:

- PAX wardrobe from Ikea
- Wood for the 19"/Eurorack frame from ExpressZuschnitt.de
- 2x Mean Well Eurorack power from Error Instruments
- 4x MDLR CASE Eurorack bus boards from Error Instruments / mdlrcase.com
- 12U Eurorack rails via Klangbau Köln
- 12U 19" rack rails, Neutrik patch bay and accessories from Thomann

Watch my first jams here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7Wq6hlLJM&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&in dex=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsuneF0LZwA&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&in dex=1

March 2018 Update:
flx wrote:
I tidied everything up again, after installing the Serge modular panels in the 19" rack.

The PAX has a size where I have enough room to expand my music systems in pretty much any way I want to, without completely going overboard and amassing an unreasonable amount of gear. In fact, right now I do feel like it's already getting a bit much "stuff" and I could probably slim down quite a bit, but since it's not spilling out of the wardrobe I don't have to.

Rhapsody In Noise
Looks really clean, nice job!
mathomas
Dayum! You're my hero!
Nino
we're not worthy
big job head
very nice desk!!
don't you think you will miss fighting with spaghetti cables (obviously everybody on this forum likes that isn't it?)
Hirsbro
Great solution for small homes where you cannot dedicate an entire room for studio thumbs up
flx
big job head wrote:
very nice desk!!
don't you think you will miss fighting with spaghetti cables (obviously everybody on this forum likes that isn't it?)

Oh there's still plenty of speghetti involved. They're just behind closed doors when I'm away grin
flx
Hirsbro wrote:
Great solution for small homes where you cannot dedicate an entire room for studio thumbs up

Yeah, in my previous apartment I had a home-office room where I could just leave my stuff in the open, but out of sight when I closed the door. This new place has more open space but no dedicated room for music.
kriskeyser
WOW. This is really smart and I love how easy it is to just close everything up and hide it. Well done!
joskery
I saw this on Facebook and was really inspired by this, I need to do something similar! Really clean and being that I have no space besides the corner of a kitchen, this'd be perfect smile
kingmaxwell
Admirable solution to space problems. I like the hanging mixer. I'm exploring vertical space solutions and this is inspiring.
SB-SIX
Really cool! That disco light haha nice one smile
srogers
This is sick, I would love to build something like this in my apartment.
Dragonaut
Looks cool but where the hell are your speakers? Dig the ambient jam.
Robscorch
applause Wonderful idea
flx
Dragonaut wrote:
Looks cool but where the hell are your speakers? Dig the ambient jam.

So far I've always just played with headphones (AKG K240 mkII) or a small portable Bose speaker. I might just finally get some decent monitors though.
2k4s
wow, incredible. i was just looking for space-saving designs since i've just moved to a smaller space and this is inspiration!
demangone
That's really slick.
limpmeat
This looks really nice. My studio is also a garage, so i am constantly fighting dust. This would help a lot when not in use.
driftwave
What bus boards did you use?
quadrupole
This is awesome! I was also making plans to use a Pax wardrobe for my studio, but it ended up that our place has a shallow closet that serves the same purpose. Awesome to see it fully inplemented. Well done! You should also add it to the 'your sparse studio' thread in the general gear forum if you haven't already!
flx
driftwave wrote:
What bus boards did you use?

They're MDLR CASE bus boards. There's a list of parts at the end of the OP smile
sparks
Looks like a job well done!
Bambou
Very cool ! Rawk!
flx
Thanks, everyone! we're not worthy

IKEA Hackers posted the project on their website too:
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2017/06/pax-synth-workstation.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3