MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What sort of cabinet do you choose ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  

What kind of cabinet do you prefer ?
A- Solid wood cabinets
60%
 60%  [ 44 ]
B- Portable System vinyl covered
17%
 17%  [ 13 ]
C- Portable System textured coating
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
D- Portable System in metal case
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
E- 19" Rack System
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
F- Box System
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
G- Special, like acrylic
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 73

Author What sort of cabinet do you choose ?
Ricochet
When you're new in the "Modular World" and you want to build up a bigger system as only a few modules....
There is another question to solve :
"With what kind of cabinet should I run into future...?"

There are
A- Solid wood cabinets
E- 19" Rack System
F- Box System
G- Special, like acrylic

So
you may take part of the poll
thx.....Gerd from Germany

Examples:
wood cabinets:

Portable vinyl:

Texture:

Case:

Rack:

Box:

Jturbide
Solid wood for me, but I don't plan to gig or play outside with it... depends on what you want to do with it.
JohnLRice
Ricochet wrote:

E- 19" Rack System

Case:

Rack:

I almost voted for 19" Rack System but then I saw you have a picture of my setup under metal case. hmmm.....

So do you intend choice D to be for 19" Anvil style road cases like I have (plywood often covered with ABS plastic or carpet covering, aluminum edging, steel corners and latches, lids) and choice E for 19" studio racks OR should choice D to be for all metal constructed cases and choice E for any 19" racks?

Before I vote, I want to make sure what I'm voting for! hihi
VinceL
This poll really needs to allow multiple choices.

I voted for Portable, vinyl-covered cabinets because they make up the majority of my modular. I have 10 of the Dotcom portable 22 cabinets.

I also have one Box 11. Plus, I normally have at least one rack case with 1 or 2 rows of modules.
bandwidth
I've got a fairly small system: (2) Portable 22's vinyl covered, (2) Portable 11's vinyl covered and (2) Box 4's.
Ricochet
JohnLRice wrote:
I saw you have a picture of my setup under metal case. hmmm.....

Sorry for that, John, but it was the only example I could found

JohnLRice wrote:

.... should choice D to be for all metal constructed cases and choice E for any 19" racks?

Yes
For "D", I mean the sort of cabinet...metal constructed
Jamnuska
Always the Ikea option (Rast, Vardo, and Pax).

Check out

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183139&highlight=
Eric the Red
I wish I could v The 2x - I like a combination of both for different functions..

Wood - I'll be using for deeper / DIY modules
Box - I'll be filling with DotCom / Moon / others as I purchase them
Bowman
Jamnuska wrote:
Always the Ikea option (Rast, Vardo, and Pax).

Check out

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183139&highlight=

Rast for Me.

[/img]
Mark11Audio
Ricochet wrote:
When you're new in the "Modular World" and you want to build up a bigger system as only a few modules....
There is another question to solve :
"With what kind of cabinet should I run into future...?"

There are
A- Solid wood cabinets
E- 19" Rack System
F- Box System
G- Special, like acrylic

So
you may take part of the poll
thx.....Gerd from Germany

I voted for "C" as that's what I did, I wanted a little more than a standard 8U so mine are 10U but coated with the DuraTex hard coat... thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Leverkusen
Although I started with those oldschool moog style portables I voted for solid wood cabinet because just today I seriously started thinking about selling them and build a wooden cabinet, mostly for aesthetic living room reasons. Plus I feel that it's easier to evolve following my new found DIY endeavours.
Flareless
As Jturbide mentioned, what you plan to do with your modular is a big factor in determining what type of case best suits your needs.

I chose walnut cabinets for the "mother-ship" portion of my system as it will not be leaving my studio.

I did, however, build a portable cabinet (wood covered in Tolex) which I have taken out a couple of times. My next cabinet will likely be an 11U small portable (wood and Tolex again) which I will likely use for a sequencer and associated modules. That will free up some space in my larger cabinets for more modules.

After I fill the modules and the new cabinet I'll likely have another walnut cabinet built.
arthurdent
I'm getting ready to make the transition from euro to 5U, it's going to be a home/studio system so I will definitely go with wood. If I ever decide to put together a portable rack, I think I will still go with wood, probably something durable like oak, I think wood just looks better.
Just me
I used Amhearst Designs cabinets when they were available. So, I have solid wood portable cases.

johny_gtr
I like wood and vinyl cases. I can better work with plywood, metal furniture and and tolex than solid wood and glue. I choose portable tolex cabinets.

Rack cases will be my choose if I do rehearsals and gigs a lot.
aj55
C!
I just have a 28u made (2x14) and hope it will be enough for some time ;-)
hsosdrum
I recently got a dotcom system in two 22-module portable cabs (vinyl-covered). I prefer the aesthetics of dotcom's 44-module all wood studio cabinet, but opted for the twin portable cabinets because they're, well, portable. (After all, who wants to schlep a 75-pound box full of synth modules around every time you want to play for an audience?)

I spent 6 years on the road in a rock band and one of that experience's most lasting lessons is that unless you have a roadie, you want your stuff light enough and small enough so you can move and carry it yourself.

So, for practicality, I think vinyl-covered portable cabs win every time. But for sheer awesomeness, nothing beats an angled wood cab, a la dotcom's 44-space studio cab or Moog's studio cabs, topped by another couple of rows of shorter wood cabs.
Synthbuilder
I'd like a nice wooden case but I use metal cases in the 19" rack style.

I need mine to be very portable so I can move it from my studio area to my workshop and I need the screening that solid metal offers because my neighbour is a radio ham and wood doesn't offer a great deal of protection against 2m RF.

I had thought about lining a wood case with metal foil but it was more hassle than it was worth.

Tony
JohnLRice
Synthbuilder wrote:
I'd like a nice wooden case but I use metal cases in the 19" rack style.

I need mine to be very portable so I can move it from my studio area to my workshop and I need the screening that solid metal offers because my neighbour is a radio ham and wood doesn't offer a great deal of protection against 2m RF.

I had thought about lining a wood case with metal foil but it was more hassle than it was worth.

Tony
Those are nice looking cases as is but I was just thinking they might look pretty sexy with some added wooden side cheeks? love Just cut some simple rectangles of maple, mahogany, cherry, walnut, etc that are the same size as the sides and attach them? Or make them a inch or two deeper front and back for knob/connector protection and a slightly different look. That way you'd still have the RF protection of the existing case but have a little woodiness too! thumbs up

If you don't have wood working tools/skills give Ross at Lamond Design a call. http://www.lamonddesign.co.uk/index/ He's a great guy and I bet he could make something really nice for you.
coyoteous
I get the attractions of all the form factors, but have never really been 'in love' with the Moog-style angled wood console and/or vertical 22 MU across single-row, and actually don't like the inverted 'two full angled row' giant Flying V Synthesizers.com thing (for me).

If that's your bag though, I'm not saying you shouldn't like or want or have that... case/cab choice can be really personal (module complement and arrangement, too).

It can go from complete utility to high-design, or some stricture-based combination... I'm kind of sensitive to overly DIY and hodgepodge mismatchy cabinets, especially in pictures (way less seeing in person).

Anyway, I'm down with the vertical Moog P-Cab evolution to the Projekt Elektronik masterpiece, with a nod to TONTO (still top secret, though... but, basically multiple custom near-zero-profile completely vertical 20U high metal semi-open frame racks... now moving to a semicircular configuration to try).

I also have a big thing for flush fronts with little to no recess, even though I completely understand the protection afforded... basically, the only things non-module on my case/cab fronts are rack frame ears.

Therefore, I voted rack.

Whether you buy it or make it... own it and play it!
Rex Coil 7
Just me wrote:
I used Amhearst Designs cabinets when they were available. So, I have solid wood portable cases.

Same here, I used two Amherst cabs that I Frankensteined together in to one two-row cab with a usable ~gap~ between them.

Then I gave them a hearty coat (coats!) of Rustoleum Truck Bedliner "texture coating". I use that stuff on other things in my rig as well (such as keyboardless "chopped" MiniBrutes and 12U cabs) .....

thumbs up w00t Rockin' Banana!
ranix
Just me wrote:

thumbs up keyboard on the organ must be the most fun in the world

I've been eyeing the c2d lately, imagining the simultaneous midi out and local control
Just me
ranix wrote:
Just me wrote:

thumbs up keyboard on the organ must be the most fun in the world

I've been eyeing the c2d lately, imagining the simultaneous midi out and local control

Hard to see in the picture, but there is a Psionics ribbon controller in front of the keyboard that gets a lot of use, too.
ba1
Wood, flat face, 4 x 21U (fits my shelf), covered in tolex (haven't done that part yet).

So I voted in special.
Flareless
ba1 wrote:
...covered in tolex (haven't done that part yet)...

I found the following video very helpful in doing the Tolex wrap. It is clearly laid out and by following the process I wrapped two cabinets quite well. Both first attempts.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1