Finally Hooked up my Sampler to the Modular

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: ignatius, Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Finally Hooked up my Sampler to the Modular

Post by dkcg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:27 pm

I haven't used my Akai S5000 in ages, so this weekend I took some initiative, repathed a bunch of my wiring, moved my mixer to be much more usable, etc. Basically, I figured out a more efficient layout for how I've been starting to work, and plan on working for the near future. The rest of my equipment can now much more easily interface with the modular. Yay.

Here's a test track of everything working together, synced by midi out of the Futureretro Revolution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:19 pm

I like it - a bit reverb-tankey, but a really nice atmosphere overall.

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:37 pm

wetterberg wrote:I like it - a bit reverb-tankey, but a really nice atmosphere overall.
There was some computer delay/reverb. I also had a memoryman and possibly the moog analog delay going. And a chance of some fender tube reverb too, I've been playing with pedals more this weekend since getting the reamp. And the reverb that sounds kinda digital is probably the cheap lexicon I have, I don't usually use it in a patch, but was testing out the mixing capabilities I have with the new setup of my rig. I'm happy and can try to make non-crappy music now instead of constant testing. :lol:

I'm able to get my levels up enough to get them really going through the modular filters now and using my Mackie as a synth submix/effects send and return box and going stereo to the computer now.

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:40 pm

That was very cool! Lots of atmosphere, I agree...

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:49 pm

Nice sounds.
raspy electric-storm wind, water dripping in a cave, tribal stomping on hollowed out tree stumps...

How are you interfacing the sampler with the modular?
Samples triggered by midi, then processed by modules?

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Cat-A-Tonic wrote: How are you interfacing the sampler with the modular?
Samples triggered by midi, then processed by modules?
A couple ways so far, but midi seems good so far. I have a midisport that doubles as a midi patchbay, so I can get the Revolution running as the master clock, or the computer and software as the master midi clock. The Kenton ProSoloMk2 sends out the master clock into the Seq-01 which then acts as the analog master clock, synced to the midi clock. So I can have the Revolution sequence the S5000, and/or play the keys to trigger the sampler. It's outputs are in a patchbay which all gets mixed in the Mackie. I've been using the Sends to go out to effects units and back into the modular from there. The mixer does a pretty good job of getting all my levels right.

I made a patch today that has the keyboard controller fire off the sampler, and the M10 and pitch through CV (from the Kenton). The M10 isn't used to gate anything, just the sampler through a filter, the inverse outputs do a filter sweep as well as controlling the rate of a LFO that is CV for the filter. Sounded cool, but I didn't record it. I'm gonna try using mics soon, see how acoustic guitars and percussion sounds process through the synth.

I had a big weekend, setup wise, finally implemented a lot of things I've been meaning to do, but to busy lost in modular world.

I'm soooo glad I didn't sell the S5000, I thought about it a couple months ago. Here's a couple pics of where it's all at right now.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:09 am

:love: :hail:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:13 am

Nice setup, man. How is that Filtered Coffee? It is supposedly like a deluxe version of the filter in the Vostok.

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks. The filtered coffee is cool, I usually put percussion through it. Even with everything zero'd out, it adds a lot of coloration, but makes things sound more "analog". I haven't played with a Vostok, so I can't say, but I like how it can be used as two separate highpass and lowpass filters,. I also use the two LFOs from it a lot (they go suuuper slow, longer than I am willing to measure), and it comes in handy as an envelope generator for 1/4" signals so you can make gates pretty easily. A lot of function for what's a "filter" unit. I thought about getting rid of it, but it's got the additional features other than filtering I would miss.

elemental
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elemental » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Kent wrote:Nice setup, man. How is that Filtered Coffee? It is supposedly like a deluxe version of the filter in the Vostok.
I've had one for a few years now .. was my 1st outboard filter before the modular began. As mentioned, very coloured, so really good for processing digital stuff, and great for drums, esp with the env follower.

Been meaning to interface it better with the rest of the modular, always good to have another flavour of filter.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:25 am

:hail: :hail: :hail:
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Return to “Your Tunes Here”