MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

looper with "overdub fade" ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author looper with "overdub fade" ?
kragg
Hello

I am looking for a looper which would feature the same thing than on the Echo Pro, where you can have the recorded loops slowly vanish and decay over time if you don't set the "repeat" to 100%.

I know most loopers have a "fade out" feature where the recorded loop fades out when you stop playback, but this is not the same : On the Echo Pro, when playback is active, the first layers of overdub can get slowly erased over time if you don't set "repeat" to max, so you can have a "forever evolving" loop.

Are any of you aware of a similar stompbox/rack/desktop looper ?
sduck
I think the Boomerang II and III have that available in settings - I have a II sitting around that i haven't used in ages.
kragg
Thank you : i will check on the user manual to find out.
Do you like your Boomerang ?
How long is the loop lenght ?
authorless
kragg wrote:
On the Echo Pro, when playback is active, the first layers of overdub can get slowly erased over time if you don't set "repeat" to max, so you can have a "forever evolving" loop.

On playback the loop fades out without adding new layers to the loop? Or do you mean while you are recording a loop previous layers of the loop fade out on each successive pass? If the latter, I am pretty sure all loopers do that.
kragg
Quote:
while you are recording a loop previous layers of the loop fade out on each successive pass?

I mean the latter, and i don't think that my Jam Man does this hmmm.....
Would you mind telling me which other loopers did you use behaving in a such way ?
Does the Akai Headrush or the Boss RC series do that ?
blt
sduck
kragg wrote:

Do you like your Boomerang ?
How long is the loop lenght ?

I'm not really sure if I like it or not - I've spent so little time using it, and no time at all using other ones that I have really no opinion on it. It's kind of a shiny object that I thought would be cool to have, but in real life it's just not something that I ever use. Loop length - I don't know off the top of my head - all that is on their web site.
stk
I think the EHX 45000 does this too.
kragg
blt wrote:

Yes, that's it, exactly.

Quote:
I think the EHX 45000 does this too.

The 45000 seems wonderful indeed.

Any other option on the cheaper side ?
Alan Smithee
TC Ditto x 4
"Loop decay determines how fast old layers fade away, so you can keep you composition evolving at your own pace. I"
http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x4-looper/
smetak
Both the Ditto x4 and the Boomerang III do this, with considerable fade time.

Unfortunately, the Boomerang III seems to have gone out of production and the few that are up for sale are going for very steep prices.

But you can get a Ditto x4 for about $200.
Metatarsals
I was pretty sure the TC DittoX4 offered this - I had one but never used the 'effects' section of the pedal.

DittoX4 was the best looper I've used (when compared to the Boss loopers and Pigtronix Infinity)
kragg
"loop decay", that's te keyword, thank you !
I see that the Boss RC300 or C50 doesn't feature this.
smetak
Metatarsals wrote:
I was pretty sure the TC DittoX4 offered this - I had one but never used the 'effects' section of the pedal.

DittoX4 was the best looper I've used (when compared to the Boss loopers and Pigtronix Infinity)

The Boomerang III is better - very impressive, best looper I ever used.

I had the Boss RC30 - total crap. Got rid of it not too longer after I got it.
authorless
Electro Harmonix 45000 (and 2800 & 16 Second Delay), Pigtronix Infitity Looper, and the looper on the Eventide TimeFactor.
Metatarsals
authorless wrote:
Electro Harmonix 45000 (and 2800 & 16 Second Delay), Pigtronix Infitity Looper, and the looper on the Eventide TimeFactor.

Only problem wiuth the EHX loopers is the lack of any midi/sync capabilities, which I presume are relatively important to most people here? Or at least that was my issue.
stk
kragg wrote:
The 45000 seems wonderful indeed.
Any other option on the cheaper side ?

The EHX 2880 is the (discontinued) predecessor of the 45000. I believe it shares most of the same functionality. Seems to go for fairly cheapish used.

Metatarsals wrote:
Only problem wiuth the EHX loopers is the lack of any midi/sync capabilities, which I presume are relatively important to most people here? Or at least that was my issue.

45000 does MIDI sync - I've only briefly tested it as it is surplus to my requirements, but it seemed to sync fine to an MPC1000.
rupa
el capistan does this, in sound-on-sound mode
anarchy4bits
+1 for TC Ditto X4 and El Capistan. El Cap is my favorit because of that really nice gritty degrading tape noise sound. I love it. The X4 is my favorit clean looper. The decay time how fast the loops disappear is on both adjustable. El Cap had a loop length up to 20 sec. in low speed mode and 10 sec. In high speed. The X4 5 min. Both are great in its own.
esotericmetal
El Cap does do it, but it only barely qualifies as a looper.

Ditto x4 seems to be the best looper around at the moment. It sounds great, has lots of features and they can be had for very cheap.
authorless
Metatarsals wrote:
authorless wrote:

I use my 45000 as the master clock fairly often in my setup, and it syncs to external MIDI clock, though I use that less often. It definitely syncs to MIDI. I haven't used a 2800, but I am certain it is the same but at the very least it sends MIDI clock. And the reissue of the 16 Second Delay has MIDI out and sends clock, the original 16 Second Delay has an analog clock out.
choice_of_meat
Boomerang III definitely does this, and is awesome. That's my 2cents...
kragg
Thank you, all : many good suggestions !
tesserack
kragg wrote:
"loop decay", that's te keyword, thank you !
I see that the Boss RC300 or C50 doesn't feature this.
with some creative feedback cable patching the boss RC 300 can do frippertronics. I actually purchased the boss Looper after watching the demo video on that thread.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6845.0

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube .com/watch%3Fv%3DqYlQ82evpPM&ved=0ahUKEwjgt_eX47TUAhVSyWMKHcJUAd8QtwII HTAA&usg=AFQjCNEBSANxPmId8xFJdu6Ot1wwx9ciFw&sig2=YI7ZVIhFpjg3y6BD0rVFl Q

And here's how to do it using the boss RC 300's internal fx to apply effects such as distortion to the decaying Loop.

The following procedure is a reversal of the Shawnb “frippertronics set for the RC-300. This set allows the rc-300 internal fx to be applied to the main output and then back into the phase track via the aux input.

The intent is to simulate how a tape would de-grade the signal each time it is fed back into the phrase track using a the lo-fi effect. I don’t if it really sounds like tape degradation, probably not, but it will degrade the signal. But not toward the fuzzyness but kind takes out the low freq sounds.

Maybe another internal effect would be better at this or an actual analog fxs pedal could be looped in with cables. Mainout>

If Roland had set up the rc-300 looper unit so that effects could be applied to the sub outs, then we could just use the Shawnb setup as described.

Each time the track is re-recorded (Feed back), it will pass through lo-fi Fx.

1. Press Edit Memory> Press Right Arrow Curser>Memory: Input Out set to SUB
2. Press Right Arrow Curser>Memory : Over Dub Mode set to REPLACE
3.Press Right Arrow Curser>Memory Fade : Fade Out Time set to 0 to 100 (lower values fade out faster)
4.Press System>Sys: REC Pd Act set to RECàOVERDUB
5. Press Right curser Arrow> Sys: Input Out set to SUB
6. Press Right Arrow> Sys: Track 1 Out set to MEMORY
7. Repeat step # 6 for tracks 2&3
8. In the Track section press Edi under track one slider
9. Press Right Arrow Curser>Track 1: Output set to MAIN
10. Repeat step # 9 for Tracks 2&3
!1. Press Write button to save these settings to the Phase number memory

Plug main outs into the aux input using split mono ¼ inch phone plugs to stereo 1/8 plug. Adjust the volume of the aux and the instrument input. This will effect how the loops feedback and fade out along with the fade out setting in

This setup will allow FX to be applied to the main outs to the aux input.

Now apply FX to the main outs as described in the manual.. Experiment with different FXs, maybe random vibrato or some other modulation can simulate tape wow and flutter and degrade the signal. Set up the expression pedal in order to modulate the modulator.

Warning since you're creating a feedback loop keep an eye on input and output levels.
kragg
Interesting tip, thank you.

By the way, it seems that the EHX Canyon features loop decay (but i never tried it).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2