MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH-1, edit: and Digitakt
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author FH-1, edit: and Digitakt
Funky40
NOTE: edit: changed the header, as its all about to run the FH-1 with the DT.
the thread starts kind of new at post 20, end of page 1 !

hi OS and wigglers, i need to rearrrange the noterange in CH-14 mode,
triggering Drum modules.

i think i need to go up 2 octaves,
C0 becoming C3.

i just studied your online programming tool but i totally don´t get it
os
That cannot be done in the current firmware.
Funky40
ok, i see.
i had it in mind that it was this way.

JFYI:
i wanted to send drum triggers from the new Elektron digitakt.
it has USB-midi out. conditional triggs also for midi. a first.
but unfortunately has a 2octave pitch offset built in. C0 is C2.
no good match then. at least for now.

Thanks OS !
os
Do you have the Digitakt already? Is it working with the FH-1 (apart from the issue you mentioned)?
Funky40
yes, i have the DT.
i only checked with the CH-14 Drum patch as this is what i wanted to do, and was allready patched.
This was not running (much likely) due to the pitch offset of the DT. Didn´t checked further can´t tell more.

i check in the next 2-3 days, DT vs. FH-1 with a common voice patch and come back.
os
Ok thanks. Did the FH-1 at least recognise the Digitakt and show MIDI activity?
Funky40
i gave it a try yesterday late.
No luck !
tryed the midi CH 9,10,11 setting: CV/Gate/Velo/AT
got nothing out, no visual activity on the FH-1
tryed also CH 12: notes 64-95. no visual activity on the FH-1

The internal Midi settings on the DT have been made accordingly.
i got midi out to the MPC with Midi-Dyn out. Nothing over USB to the FH-1 so far.

need to ask about the USB midi out, but the USB-midi should work also.
Funky40
OS, JFYI:

ok, I had a further check:
i send midi data from the DT to the FH-1 on both ways:
DT-USB out / DT-midi din jack out over a midi-din to USB converter cable.
same track/ same data is been sent out.

midi-Din has worked, USB-midi has not worked.
so there might be some issues with the DT and USB out. not shure. can´t make out a fault on my side ( settings in the DT )
worked then some with the CH 9 setting.
btw. CH-14 mode was sending the triggers correctly out. C0 = C0.
also CH-12 mode was correct. Note 64 = the first trigger
( in contrary to posts at elektronauts which made me thing that the Notes are shifted two octaves. Or it has been corrected with the OS 1.02 update )

did not get any response to the thread i opened at elektronauts to get some insight if USB-midi is working fine
os
Thanks - keep us updated.
Funky40
Here is my thread at elektronauts
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/is-usb-midi-out-working-right-now-or-no t-sending-track-data/40500

there are also other people that can´t get the FH-1 running from the DTs USB-Midi out,
while some people report that the USB-midi out of the DT is working as such.
checked again, no problem to run the FH-1 from the midi-Din out of the DT.
But thats not my aim

and might i also suggest a custom firmware for the Octatrack and the Digitakt with a much better suited setup for those boxes ? without much need of custom noodling ( which seems to be limited anyway)
we could work something out together ( i mean with the DT/OT community )

if there is at least a slight bit of a interest from your side Os to hear further thoughts on this would i open a own thread on that matter.
I think it would be a win for both sides wink
floater
I'm considering adding an fh-1 to my list

how are you planning to use it with the digitakt?

midi cc from the midi sequencer or ?

I read the midi implementation in the manual, I don't understand it yet

First I'm hoping to find what midi commands it needs to be sent to mute tracks, and adjust track level

for midi out I eventually want to use like the lfo, and cc's from the digitakt sequencer to modules

that's the holy grail for me, digital control of cv on long sequences with the conditional triggers that's going to be very cool
os
This is going to be hard for me to debug without access to a Digitakt. Or, without Elektron taking an FH-1 and working with it. (If anyone from Elektron is listening, I'll happily send a unit over.)

I don't think you need a custom firmware. The FH-1 customisation capabilities are pretty extensive now. People have already shared Octatrack-friendly customisations for the FH-1.
os
I'm getting a Digitakt.
Funky40
hehe, great !

i really think its a perfect match: DT + FH-1
and i think many people will think the same wink

os wrote:

I don't think you need a custom firmware. The FH-1 customisation capabilities are pretty extensive now.

my plan would be to have:
FH-1: gate - pitch - Velocity - and 5 more CVs / all on the same midi CHannel ( to control one Wavetable VCO and surrounding modules)
FHX-1: 8 triggers for Drums ( one midchannel, separeted by note / similar to CH14 mode)
FHX-2 + FHX-3: same as mode CH9 - CH10 - Ch11 / just with one channel more = 4 voices / all: trig-pitch-2 more CVs (for drummodules like Basimilus or Rings in my case)

would this be doable with the customisation app?
Funky40
floater wrote:

see my above post.
this would be the big plan.
the small plan: just 8 triggers fro drummodules.
the mediocore one: CH9-CH10-CH11 setup ( see above)
( i have one expander allready / first small rack, DT + Euro, is "now" in work )
os
Please try the attached FH-1 firmware with the Digitakt.
shred
floater wrote:

midi cc from the midi sequencer or ?

I read the midi implementation in the manual, I don't understand it yet

First I'm hoping to find what midi commands it needs to be sent to mute tracks, and adjust track level

for midi out I eventually want to use like the lfo, and cc's from the digitakt sequencer to modules

that's the holy grail for me, digital control of cv on long sequences with the conditional triggers that's going to be very cool

same. watching this thread. the FH-1 has interested me for a while but I'm slowly making sense of it. probably would help if I had one in front of me but, yeah.

i sort of understand how midi channels on digitakt would send pitch/env/gate info but i don't understand how you would make them respond as CV. Or how to translate CC messages from the digitakt to the FH-1... each midi track on digitakt has up to 8 CC controls. Or how to get digitakt to control FH-1's LFOs. what if you have multiple midi tracks on digitakt sending info to the same midi channel on FH-1?

basically how to optimize digitakt's capabilities into Euro land. feeling kinda dumb but it's just not intuitive to me at all.
floater
We just need some YouTube demos then it will make sense

I'm eventually going to go CV to midi and midi to CV so essentially treating the digitakt like a module as much as possible, with as many "patch points"as possible
os
First we need someone with an FH-1 and a Digitakt to verify the above firmware.
Funky40
os wrote:
Please try the attached FH-1 firmware with the Digitakt.

os wrote:
First we need someone with an FH-1 and a Digitakt to verify the above firmware.

Sorry for beeing so late !

so i just updated my FH-1 to the FW above and am running now my first test.

What i can say so far is:
sending midi from the DTs USB out to the FH-1 USB in works now as expected.
i´m just running right now the Midi-CH 9,10, 11 setup.
edit: Pitch, Gate, Velo, Aftertouch, . works perfect !
( to make it unmistakable clear: the connection is just a USB cable, NO converter cable )

edit: Great, Great , Great !
( controlling two Basimilus Iteritas )

another point:
i was with my FH-1 on an old FW !!
i was totally not aware that this could have been the issue.
Much sorry for this !

and much Thanks OS for caring !
os
Cool - thanks for confirming. I'll schedule this for an official release.
Funky40
personally i think the Digitakt is right now one of the best suited Sequenzers for more modern approaches for sequenzing.
Especially also to control a modern modularrig. ( small or big)

OS, you should consider to come up with some custom patches for the DT-FH-1 combo.
my opinion

10$ a patch would be for me a feasable option, really. probably even more.
I think most people would be donne with 1-2 patches. I´m quite convinced that the setups people really would need to have, beside whats given now allready by mdichannel selection or feasable with some patching over the editor, would be to serve with just a very few "patches".
my needs for example are not to serve over the editor.

i´m a person who wants to control a module with many parameters, not just pitch, gate, and Velo.
The direct access over P-locks that the elektron boxes deliver just outperforms in my opinion anything !
and the Digitakt even more with its midi feature set. while beeing small and affordable.

pleasse think about it wink

its a hell of a fun to just sequenze my two BIs from the DT, hehe,
but i gladly share 6-7-8 CV outputs from the FH-1/FH-1X *per* Module that i control . there the modern electronic spirit lies hihi
teafela
Planning to do a similar thing in my mobile setup and I'm trying to think through my live set/studio integration.

If I connect to my FH-1 through a din to usb converter, in theory, I should still be able to use the USB for multi tracking using overbridge/daw (once that comes out), right?
shred
glad to see it's working, and with just a straight usb cable connection.

So if have midi track A set to midi channel 9, that would send cv, gate, velocity, aftertouch to FH-1 jacks 1-4? is that correct?

What if you had midi track A to midi channel 9 and midi track B to midi channel 16? what comes out of the jacks?

how do CC's fit into all of this?
Funky40
its a crosspost from elektron forum, just posted it there for completness, now also here:

ok, i made some tests:
It is indeed the latest FW for the FH-1 required, the one you posted in this thread, to run the FH-1 from the DTs USB out.

i loaded today FW: 1.5 / 1.6 / 1.7
no connection from USB to USB, DT to FH-1.
only with your prerelease FW posted above !

made it as i was unshure if my previous fail, USB to USB, was based on the fact that i was running a old FW which i overlooked
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2