MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silent Way Voice Controller Calibration
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Silent Way Voice Controller Calibration
creativesounds
Hi all,

Searched this forum and read the section in the manual for the SW VC but still am wondering about this: Do I need to calibrate each of my oscillators separately, save each calibration file for each oscillator, then load an instance of SW VC for each of the osc's I want to control?

Or... is there a better way?

Thanks.
os
What you're mostly calibrating is your audio interface, so if you want to save calibrations, it would make more sense to save one for each interface output.

In general though this isn't necessary. It's so quick to calibrate, just do it for whatever combination of oscillator and interface output you need to use at any one time.
creativesounds
So the main thing that I am trying to avoid is to interrupt my workflow by having to unpatch to calibrate. So let's say I have a cool patch going on, then I want to add another oscillator. This means I have to either find some unused outputs and inputs from my ES8 to then calibrate this new osc.... bit of a flow kill.

So what's the best way to approach this? Spend time calibrating all 8 outs of the ES8 then just load up that calibration file every time I load up Voice Controller? If so, what is the best way to do this. You mention that we are calibrating the outputs and not the osc module. So I imagine the best way is to find an oscillator that can output a true sine wave, patch into and out of it for each of the 8 ES8 outs (hitting calibrate in between each patch), then save the calibration file for later recall.

Then, next time I load up the VC I can just load this calibration file in and patch whichever oscillator I desire and tuning should be a go?

Thanks for help on this!
os
Quote:
So I imagine the best way is to find an oscillator that can output a true sine wave, patch into and out of it for each of the 8 ES8 outs (hitting calibrate in between each patch), then save the calibration file for later recall.

Then, next time I load up the VC I can just load this calibration file in and patch whichever oscillator I desire and tuning should be a go?

That works, though you'll have to tune the VCO by hand, as you would using any other fixed CV source.
jntmusic
So I'm new to both Muffwiggler and the eurorack scene. I'm trying to calibrate Silent Way in digital performer with my brand new ES-8. the ES8 is currently plugged into my mac via the USB cable. I've opened an instrument track in DP 9, loaded it with SW Voice Controller, and routed the track to ES-8 outputs 1&2. I then patched ES8 output 1 to my osc's V/Oct, ES8 output 2 to the same osc's gate, then patched the osc's L&R outputs back INTO ES8 INPUTS 1&2. Back into DP, I set up an audio track with the inputs set to ES-8 1/2. when i trigger my oscillator, I can hear the audio in DP. When I press a note on my midi keyboard, i can see all the audio meters jumping as normal, and I can hear the audio as well. Everything looks exactly as it does in the tutorial videos.

Where I'm stuck is this. I understand that Silent Way needs to have the audio routed back into the plugin itself in order to calibrate. But, I can't seem to figure that part out. What am I missing?

Thanks!
os
We're talking on Facebook, right?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1