MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New fan.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author New fan.
NightGoat
Hi. I'm pretty new to eurorack and after alot of lurking and sniffing around, I'm really loving the sound of the metasonix gear. I'm based in the UK and due to the £ being so fucking weak, the price of new metasonix runs high. Has anyone here imported directly from the US to the UK? And would that cause issues with warranties and power supplies? Maybe it won't save any money anyway. I see perfect circuit seems to lower prices. Failing that, I'll look on the used market. I missed out on a wretch which was sold a few months ago but apart from that, I've seen not alot in the UK or EU. Any tips on where to look would be great. I'm more into drums at the he moment but I'll consider synths too. Maybe put a few modules together to get a d-1000 sound too. Thanks.
Kujo
welcome aboard.

its gonna be tough to get a D-1000 sound but the new RK1/2/3/4 should treat you well enough and get you close to D-2000 and S-2000 in eurorack form albeit I personally feel like there's a certain beauty to standalone units Guinness ftw!
hackrobat
Used Metasonix comes up on ebay and reverb.com pretty regularly, although it is less common in the EU.
Yes Powder
Kinda wanna say that if you can afford the , buy new so it directly supports Eric so he can continue making awesome things—
but I certainly understand the pains of being poor and suffering from gearlust; maybe get one thing used and buy the rest new once you're hooked?
Either way, hope you manage to get some o' that sweet, sweet yellow soon. There's really nothing like it
metasonix
NightGoat wrote:
Has anyone here imported directly from the US to the UK?

We have 2 dealers in the UK, Cymru Beats and Post Modular. I'm sorry if they have no stock right now--I rarely hear from either of them. Call them up and ask why they don't keep us in stock.

Quote:
And would that cause issues with warranties and power supplies?

no

Quote:
I see perfect circuit seems to lower prices.

We dropped Perfect Circuit because they were undercutting other dealers and doing various things just to snipe sales. Plus they were selling this discounted gear to total assholes and obsessive complainers, the sort we do not want as customers. Perfect Circuit doesn't get the crazies and the personal attacks and the bitching from other dealers, I do.

If you want to support us and keep us in business, please don't rush around looking for one-time magical bargains. Our products rarely appear on the used market and when they do, they sell for substantial prices (sometimes MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL RETAIL, okay?) We don't mass-produce anything and our products are very very different from anything else on the market. Thank you.
NightGoat
Both Cymru beats and post modular have modules but said D-2000 and S-2000 were special order so was wondering if it's easier to import myself that's all. I'm not looking for any super bargain either. I don't think the dollar price of your stuff is that high but by the time it gets to the UK you can add 25% but hey, that's trade agreements for you.

I'm getting pretty excited by the D-2000 though. When reading the spec, it says that the tunable drums are similar to the RK4. So can they do everything the RK4'S can do and visa-versa? And are the gated noise channels similar to the RK1's? The reason I'm asking is, I'm not sure what's the best way to go, stand alone or modular. The stand alone is certainly tidy and i wouldn't have to worry about power issues. Thanks.
johnwynberg
It's also worth checking with Escape From Noise for Metasonix in Europe: https://escapefromnoise.com/tillverkare/metasonix/

They have the RK1, 3 and 4 (but no horsecock!), and until a few weeks ago, they had a D-2000. I was so tempted when I saw it in stock, but, as you point out, with the Pound so low, not sure if it's cheaper to buy from America, even including the import duties.
metasonix
NightGoat wrote:
Both Cymru beats and post modular have modules but said D-2000 and S-2000 were special order so was wondering if it's easier to import myself that's all. I'm not looking for any super bargain either. I don't think the dollar price of your stuff is that high but by the time it gets to the UK you can add 25% but hey, that's trade agreements for you.

Dunno what to say. Check with Big City Music for a D-2000.

Quote:
I'm getting pretty excited by the D-2000 though. When reading the spec, it says that the tunable drums are similar to the RK4. So can they do everything the RK4'S can do and visa-versa?

yes

Quote:
And are the gated noise channels similar to the RK1's?

Identical. The 2000 is two RK1s and three RK4s in a rack panel with an output pentode for moar distortion, plus trigger buttons. You would need six RK modules to "simulate" a D-2000.

If you do go modular, PLEASE DON'T BUY A CHEAP POWER SUPPLY. I'd be happy to help you with choosing one. Thanks.
NightGoat
3 x RK4 2 x RK1 and what's the sixth module? Thank you.
EPTC
NightGoat wrote:
3 x RK4 2 x RK1 and what's the sixth module? Thank you.

The sixth module is the end stage amplifier, which colors the sound. I'm not sure if there's an RK module that would do that identically - You could get an F1 pedal or an RK2 but they'd be different. Also could try an R51 or R57.

If you take audio out of each separate drum in a D2000 and then take the main audio out you'll notice a gritty unpredictable difference between the separate drum voices and the main audio out. So the last stage is really a sixth drum voice on its own, worth mixing in with the other outputs. It's cool.

There's also a nice crossover between the trigger inputs on the whole D2000, where a pulse sent to one drum can be tuned to be received by other voices, so a single pulse sent can drive multiple voices. This is ghostly and really nice; doubt it would happen without a shared circuit board.

To make a customized modular D2000, it won't be cheaper, but you could assemble things a la carte in this order: one RKP (power supply), one RK1 (kick drum, the second RK1 is extremely nice but not crucial), one RK2 (output stage), one RK3 (to make it interesting processing sounds, not a part of the D2000 but very wonderful), and 2-3 RK4s (bass drums).

Cheapest mini drummer would be one RK1 and two RK4s (then a trigger sequencer)

Figuring all this out is a really fun problem to have, btw. Each one of these modules are endlessly interesting on their own, so you don't need tons of them to jump in. Trust what Eric's saying about power supply, though. Even if it powers on the module won't work right without an RKP or something equivalent.
NightGoat
Thanks to all for the advice on all of this. It's a toss up between the flexibility of eurorack and the neatness and uniqueness os standalone. I shall give it a great deal of thought before I jump in.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1