MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Baloran 'The River' - 8 voice analog synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Baloran 'The River' - 8 voice analog synth
calaveras
Minor quibble, but I hate the labeling on the ADSR.
showing the same wave with different sections highlighted is fine in a well lit showroom. But in a performance situation or even most rehearsal spaces, good luck discerning that.
tobb
If it would have the same balls and w/o the chorus or fx switched on all the time (!) at least,like the Schmidt, i would have bought one.

Now its too much a one 'Triko' pony synth.

I can't imagine the Moog one with one xtra vco and multimode filter sounds less interesting or less rich.

Moog one through his Triko would blow away instantly his synth..
Sir Ruff
tobb wrote:
If it would have the same balls and w/o the chorus or fx switched on all the time (!) at least,like the Schmidt, i would have bought one.

Now its too much a one 'Triko' pony synth.

I can't imagine the Moog one with one xtra vco and multimode filter sounds less interesting or less rich.

Moog one through his Triko would blow away instantly his synth..


I'm guessing you haven't played one? Calling it a one trick pony with its effects unit suggests that.

The River is easily as sonically good as any of the classics. Moreover, it has managed to carve out its own unique niche by using the Source as its basis. The basic oscillator interactions in terms of saturation and footages are really unique and organic. The effects unit is more like icing on the cake than any sort of "requirement" for it to sound good.

I haven't played a Moog One yet, but it seems clear these two synths reside at opposite ends of the analog spectrum: the One is meant to be the be-all, end-all MODERN analog synth, in every sense of the word; the River aims to be a modern incarnation of a vintage classic. Both have achieved their goals admirably, but the One certainly isn't going to replace the River as far as vintage tone, and vice versa.
tobb
Sir Ruff wrote:


The River is easily as sonically good as any of the classics. Moreover, it has managed to carve out its own unique niche by using the Source as its basis. The basic oscillator interactions in terms of saturation and footages are really unique and organic. The effects unit is more like icing on the cake than any sort of "requirement" for it to sound good.


Its sounds good as any classic 2 vco with lopass,that is what i want to point out,so can't do miracles,the Triko on top make its special but that's a heavy price just to have that lush sound,its a bit like the Elka Synthex although a Synthex sounds weak with the chorus off due to the digital oscillators.

I would rather buy a vintage and get the Triko chorus rack.

This synth is great sounding,the problem is the price VS sound possibilities,that is why i call it a one trick pony with its fx and chorus quasi if not always on ,on every demo!

If budget is no issue,then why not.

PS: For buyers outside of the EU read this fine print:


Quote:
la gestion des douanes, la procédure d’importation temporaire pour maintenance est quasiment impossible à mettre en oeuvre pour une petite structure comme Baloran SAS. Donc si vous ne résidez pas dans un pays de l’Union Européenne et dans le cas d’une maintenance nécessaire sur l’instrument dans et hors de la période de garantie, Baloran SAS ne prendra pas en charge les frais (transports/douanes/taxes) pour l’aller/retour à l’atelier de l’instrument.


It states that if the unit has to be shipped back to FR in and after (!) the period of the warranty they can not (i read his as don't want to) arrange the paperwork for customs for returns/repairs meaning if you send the unit full insured TO and FROM you will pay again full taxes (2x) on the amount of the declared insured value!!

SO servicing will have to be likely done local.
Sir Ruff
tobb wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:


The River is easily as sonically good as any of the classics. Moreover, it has managed to carve out its own unique niche by using the Source as its basis. The basic oscillator interactions in terms of saturation and footages are really unique and organic. The effects unit is more like icing on the cake than any sort of "requirement" for it to sound good.


Its sounds good as any classic 2 vco with lopass,that is what i want to point out,so can't do miracles,the Triko on top make its special but that's a heavy price just to have that lush sound,its a bit like the Elka Synthex although a Synthex sounds weak with the chorus off due to the digital oscillators.

I would rather buy a vintage and get the Triko chorus rack.

This synth is great sounding,the problem is the price VS sound possibilities,that is why i call it a one trick pony with its fx and chorus quasi if not always on ,on every demo!

If budget is no issue,then why not.

PS: For buyers outside of the EU read this fine print:


Quote:
la gestion des douanes, la procédure d’importation temporaire pour maintenance est quasiment impossible à mettre en oeuvre pour une petite structure comme Baloran SAS. Donc si vous ne résidez pas dans un pays de l’Union Européenne et dans le cas d’une maintenance nécessaire sur l’instrument dans et hors de la période de garantie, Baloran SAS ne prendra pas en charge les frais (transports/douanes/taxes) pour l’aller/retour à l’atelier de l’instrument.


It states that if the unit has to be shipped back to FR in and after (!) the period of the warranty they can not (i read his as don't want to) arrange the paperwork for customs for returns/repairs meaning if you send the unit full insured TO and FROM you will pay again full taxes (2x) on the amount of the declared insured value!!

SO servicing will have to be likely done local.


Yes, I agree that it is not breaking any molds as far as architecture. And I also agree that it could be cheaper--but only if it was being made by a larger company. And no other company, aside from SE, are making comparable polysynths these days so it is what it is.

The servicing issue is no riskier than buying a vintage poly and having to ship it across the country. Also, for smaller fixes like individual voice cards, Laurent will just sent a replacement. No need to take or ship the whole machine anywhere. I actually can't foresee any issue being so major that it would require the whole synth to be shipped back to him.
tobb
Sir Ruff wrote:


The servicing issue is no riskier than buying a vintage poly and having to ship it across the country. Also, for smaller fixes like individual voice cards, Laurent will just sent a replacement. No need to take or ship the whole machine anywhere. I actually can't foresee any issue being so major that it would require the whole synth to be shipped back to him.


Yes but its not a vintage,note that this would also not cover any major damage during shipping --> you will be refunded by the insurance but when he send a new synth you will again pay taxes on the value of the synth/parcel...!!
Sir Ruff
tobb wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:


The servicing issue is no riskier than buying a vintage poly and having to ship it across the country. Also, for smaller fixes like individual voice cards, Laurent will just sent a replacement. No need to take or ship the whole machine anywhere. I actually can't foresee any issue being so major that it would require the whole synth to be shipped back to him.


Yes but its not a vintage,note that this would also not cover any major damage during shipping --> you will be refunded by the insurance but when he send a new synth you will again pay taxes on the value of the synth/parcel...!!


Sure... so I guess this is just a risk you have to decide on!
h4ndcrafted
Nom.

Birth_Chord
Sounds excellent...
CosmicFlight
One of the best sounding poly synth
tobb
CosmicFlight wrote:
One of the best sounding poly synth


With th FX turned on or off?
UltraViolet
Beautiful sound! For what it is, the price is not really out of line, but it is still a lot of money for most folks.
maisonvague
Sir Ruff wrote:
The River is easily as sonically good as any of the classics. Moreover, it has managed to carve out its own unique niche by using the Source as its basis. The basic oscillator interactions in terms of saturation and footages are really unique and organic. The effects unit is more like icing on the cake than any sort of "requirement" for it to sound good.


Well said. Couldn't agree more.

The River sounds every bit as good as any vintage poly I've ever played with or without the Triko.

It's not a case where if you take away the FX, one is left with a thin, weak or ordinary tone. While the raw tone may not be "exceptional" like say that of an Oberheim 8-voice, it is certainly on par with most of the classics.

It's true, however, that it was designed with Triko integration in mind. So theoretically it supposed to sound its best when using it. But like most synths with onboard FX, personally I think it sounds best through dedicated outboard units.

Part of this has to do with easier control over parameters and levels when using outboard FX. It's easy to degrade the sound of The River through the Triko with inappropriate levels.

Complex FX integration with analog synths is a tricky business.

From the perspective of a modular enthusiast, The River is a dream tool. The integrated River Key 8-voice polyphonic CV/GATE controller allows it to serve as central command for a modular setup.

With individual outputs for each of the 8-voices, and easy front panel voice assignments, one can send out oscillators on "missions" to the modular to "gather information" and either return it to central command via the Triko audio input or onward to an external mixer for further processing. Independent control of up to four layers of sounds or synth voices is possible from The River Key.

It's also MPE compatible, which opens up another world of possibilities.

In a nutshell, The River rocks. nanners

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group